• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Fire Rahe

Sir Velo said:
is there any scenario that could happen in 2015-16 in order for us to forget the #347 rpi uvu loss????? its the worst d1 loss in wsu history. it has to be. it was an in-state game! does dancing cancel this out?

The bright side to the UVU loss is that hardly anybody in Utah cares about UVU, so we won't get much flack for it. But yes, not dominating inferior opponents in general hurts. But what hurts me even more is continually losing to a USU team Weber State is on par with or better than from year to year.

In any case, to answer your question, going to the NCAA tournament would help cancel out the above. Even in years where Weber State has been undoubtedly the "best" team in the Big Sky, they've choked in the conference tournament, so an NCAA tournament appearance would be an improvement over the recent status quo.

That makes me sound content, but I just want to see some gradual improvement to where Weber State is winning the conference tournament on a regular basis, sometimes multiple years in a row. It will be more difficult to do that now (Reno instead of the Purple Palace), but there are still no excuses based on Weber's resources compared to the rest of the Big Sky. And Weber State's most difficult conference opponent (Montana) doesn't even have Tinkle anymore, who was pretty damn good.

The fact that I even know Tinkle's name is saying something for him and Montana. In recent years, I can't name another Big Sky basketball coach other than him and Rahe. Tinkle, as most of you know, is now the head coach at Oregon State (currently 9-2).

Sorry to dig up this thread up I didnt want to continue the Rahe discussion in the North Dakota thread.

Maybe firing Rahe is too drastic. But he defiantly needs something to work for. The administration needs to lay out where they expect him to be. If winning the sky is his only laid out goal then we have a problem. The goal in life is to strive to get better and continue to reach new heights. I thought for sure after the CIT game we were ready to take that next step. Instead it seems like we are stuck or even going in reverse.

The administration needs to lay out things like having a solid rpi, getting above a 16 seed in the ncaa tourney, things of that nature. If he doesnt reach those goals, then a pay cut or even being let go is in order. Obviously giving him time to complete those goals & he already has the best facilities and salary so the base is set.

I think Randy's contract is a very interesting topic.

A big chunk of his compensation package comes from private sources. My understanding is that it is a group of individuals and or businesses. I know that one of the sources passed away a few years ago. What happens if some of the group does not feel like coach should be retained after his contract is up? Or they feel like the privately sourced bonus money is too much?

I do feel that we are overpaying for the results that we have been getting. What troubles me the most is the amount of excuses we have been hearing the past few seasons. He says lots of stuff without fact checking first. He is a good guy but very well may have hit the ceiling.

isnt his contract still configured to end july 1, 2017? i havent heard of an updated contract in years. it must have been 2012 when they did that.

i was under the impression the private donors were paying him a $100,000.00 USD bonus for each july 1 he remained with WSU.

what i would like to see is comparing wsu to like schools and schools we want to be like. is rahe getting the going rate for our program? should it be more/less? are schools we want to be paying way more? equal? less? i am only familar with big sky but its not worth comparing or discussing.

I think it was mentioned on here that Tinkle was given a percentage for every team they went and played. I would honestly consider that for Rahe and maybe we will see one or two more solid games a year.

In my opinion this thread can now be put to rest. This team is and has improved dramatically since the USU game. And for those of you that think Rahe and his staff can't develop bigs, just look at the improvement in Bolomboy from his Freshman year until now. Oh and also Hill, and even Braxton in his short time here.
The zone and press attack is MUCH improved compared to previous years, and WSU has shown a lot of new plays this year that we hadn't seen in the 10 previous years.

ajwildcat said:
In my opinion this thread can now be put to rest. This team is and has improved dramatically since the USU game. And for those of you that think Rahe and his staff can't develop bigs, just look at the improvement in Bolomboy from his Freshman year until now. Oh and also Hill, and even Braxton in his short time here.
The zone and press attack is MUCH improved compared to previous years, and WSU has shown a lot of new plays this year that we hadn't seen in the 10 previous years.

Are you serious AJ? We all knew that Rahe would destroy "league" teams. That was never doubted. I think you are missing the point of this topic. It's quotes from Rahe that frustrate many of us. After Multanoma (sp),"now the real season starts," "the kids had a different look in their eyes during practice because they know league play starts."

RAHE can't develop bigs! If you think Joel is good now, wait till he has ONE summer with an NBA level coach. Hill hasnt gotten better, he is just not allowed to jack up jumpers. You probably still believe Rahe "developed" Lillard too huh? This thread has never been about Rahe's inability to wins "league" games. It is the games we as fans care about. Look, State Legislatures are looking into making U. Of Utah play other state schools by LAW... Rivalry games are a big deal. If we get back onto their schedule, it will just be treated like any other "pre-season" game. When the State (fans) want to see this game as important.

Can you give me some examples of "new plays" AJ? I cant say I have seen any new flashcards down there. Most have dust on them. When a team goes to zone, Rahe always yells are "motion." Nothing new here, just toss the ball around the perimeter...

Look, losing instate games sucks. And Rahe treating them like "pre- season" and "practice" doesn't cut it for many. We will win the Sky, dance in Reno ( :sarcasm:), get a 16 seed and first round exit.

I love what Coach Hill said in an interview regarding recruiting. "We try to recruit 60-70% of in-state kids.It's good for the program, the kids get to play in front of their friends, family and girl friends. They seem to play with more passion when they play in front of loved ones." Hill understands this, Rahe does not. Like I have said before, Rahe is an Iowa guy, these instate games are meaningly to him, and the out of state players (95% of the roster and 100% of starters and major bench players).

Also AJ, can you tell him how we improved against UVU and Denver ?

WSUfan said:
ajwildcat said:

Are you serious AJ? We all knew that Rahe would destroy "league" teams. That was never doubted. I think you are missing the point of this topic. It's quotes from Rahe that frustrate many of us. After Multanoma (sp),"now the real season starts," "the kids had a different look in their eyes during practice because they know league play starts."

RAHE can't develop bigs! If you think Joel is good now, wait till he has ONE summer with an NBA level coach. Hill hasnt gotten better, he is just not allowed to jack up jumpers. You probably still believe Rahe "developed" Lillard too huh? This thread has never been about Rahe's inability to wins "league" games. It is the games we as fans care about. Look, State Legislatures are looking into making U. Of Utah play other state schools by LAW... Rivalry games are a big deal. If we get back onto their schedule, it will just be treated like any other "pre-season" game. When the State (fans) want to see this game as important.

Can you give me some examples of "new plays" AJ? I cant say I have seen any new flashcards down there. Most have dust on them. When a team goes to zone, Rahe always yells are "motion." Nothing new here, just toss the ball around the perimeter...

Look, losing instate games sucks. And Rahe treating them like "pre- season" and "practice" doesn't cut it for many. We will win the Sky, dance in Reno ( :sarcasm:), get a 16 seed and first round exit.

I love what Coach Hill said in an interview regarding recruiting. "We try to recruit 60-70% of in-state kids.It's good for the program, the kids get to play in front of their friends, family and girl friends. They seem to play with more passion when they play in front of loved ones." Hill understands this, Rahe does not. Like I have said before, Rahe is an Iowa guy, these instate games are meaningly to him, and the out of state players (95% of the roster and 100% of starters and major bench players).

Like it or not, but Rahe's Boss puts MUCH more emphasis on Conference games than they do the non-conference. So why wouldn't Rahe care more about what his bosses emphasize? And if you think Lillard and Bolomboy improved drastically without the help of the Coaching staff then well you are totally wrong.
I don't like the fact that non-conference isnt important to the athletic department BUT you can't fault Rahe for focusing on what his boss feels is most important. If you dont think they have thrown in a lot of new stuff then perhaps you should go to practice sometime. I have been to a lot of practices over the last 15 years and they have definitely improved in a lot of areas, zone attack, press attack, new plays, hell they even play some zone D of their own now once in awhile this year.

we wont, cant and shouldnt can rahe.

we arent ucla. we dont win the pac12 title and then fire the coach like they did. not unless we are willing to pay a mil for a new coach which isn't possible. but what is the future of our program? what should we expect? how can we upgrade it? as fans you never hear about the goals or plans. we have seen some good changes, facilities, attendance improvements, 4 reg season titles. but 10 yrs later we have no chance of beating byu or usu. we talk about what a bad coach joe was yet he beat a lot of schools we no longer can dream about beating. wsu is $$ poor but we have a good program with lots of potential that i can see.

i even see it as not just about rahe. its bigger than a coach. ogden and wsu don't even support the program the way it should. 6,000 fans a game is great, gets you top 100 attendance but still for wsu we know thats not good enough. i used to argue wsu and ogden don't deserve d1 basketball. so much potential going to waste...unless people just don't care about college hoops anymore which could be possible.

if we could play better teams and get more student involvement and more fans to the games things could change for the better. 10 yrs into rahe era students still won't come to games but we dont even have any marquee games to brag about to at least get them to come see the dee. next yr we wont even have byu or usu at home. so we can tell them to come see uvu and multemoah.

i dont expect rahe to become john calipari and be the coach and marketing department like he did at umass but our coach needs help.

complaining about athletics, marketing dept, the schedule is beating a dead horse but there is a reason yr after yr fans are complaining on here about those things. i cant believe in real change until i see 8,000 attendance average with 1,000 student average.

ajwildcat said:
WSUfan said:
ajwildcat said:

Like it or not, but Rahe's Boss puts MUCH more emphasis on Conference games than they do the non-conference. So why wouldn't Rahe care more about what his bosses emphasize? And if you think Lillard and Bolomboy improved drastically without the help of the Coaching staff then well you are totally wrong.
I don't like the fact that non-conference isnt important to the athletic department BUT you can't fault Rahe for focusing on what his boss feels is most important. If you dont think they have thrown in a lot of new stuff then perhaps you should go to practice sometime. I have been to a lot of practices over the last 15 years and they have definitely improved in a lot of areas, zone attack, press attack, new plays, hell they even play some zone D of their own now once in awhile this year.

Do we know 100% that Bovee also doesn't care about OOC games? I highly doubt this (see his tweet about uof u dropping YBU). Yes, Lillard made it to the league because he is Lillard. Lillard went from good to all-star in the NBA. Rahe doesn't have the tools to develop NBA talent, in fact he admits this. You ignored all of questions though. I can say I have gone to every single practice too, doesn't mean anything though.

Have to agree with most of WSUfan's points. Don't forget the support of Reno and this year's home schedule as final straws that broke my support back for Rahe, and to a lesser degree, the bball program in general. USUx2, UVU, and DU cannot and will not be forgotten, and are just not excusable with the talent on this team. The excuses, coach speak, and apathy for in-state and OOC is so ten years ago. In ten years, Rahe has also not been able to "develop" a passion for in-state rivalry and winning all games-- #AllGamesMatter . How does caring about and trying to win every game the same diminish the focus or ability for BSC games? I don't understand any conceivable argument for not caring equally about every team you face and wanting to win them all, not brush them off as practice/exhibition. Hell, I wouldn't be ok with losing exhibition either. I guess my concerns are "fan" concerns, though, and more and more college athletics don't seem real concerned with what fans want. Coach Koward and the pUkes are a great example of that.

As a side note, it warms my heart to see the reported 6,500 attendance. I'm so glad my lack of season tix and limited attendance has not affected this season's numbers.

WSUfan said:
ajwildcat said:
WSUfan said:
ajwildcat said:

Do we know 100% that Bovee also doesn't care about OOC games? I highly doubt this (see his tweet about uof u dropping YBU). Yes, Lillard made it to the league because he is Lillard. Lillard went from good to all-star in the NBA. Rahe doesn't have the tools to develop NBA talent, in fact he admits this. You ignored all of questions though. I can say I have gone to every single practice too, doesn't mean anything though.
So you are saying that Lillard got better because of NBA coaching? Well no shit Sherlock. Oh and the fact that he doesn't have to go to class, NBA coaches arent limited by the NCAA on how much time they can spend with players etc, etc... If guys don't get better in the NBA after College then they aren't in the NBA for long (Jimmer). :doh:

Sir Velo said:
we wont, cant and shouldnt can rahe.

we arent ucla. we dont win the pac12 title and then fire the coach like they did. not unless we are willing to pay a mil for a new coach which isn't possible. but what is the future of our program? what should we expect? how can we upgrade it? as fans you never hear about the goals or plans. we have seen some good changes, facilities, attendance improvements, 4 reg season titles. but 10 yrs later we have no chance of beating byu or usu. we talk about what a bad coach joe was yet he beat a lot of schools we no longer can dream about beating. wsu is $$ poor but we have a good program with lots of potential that i can see.

i even see it as not just about rahe. its bigger than a coach. ogden and wsu don't even support the program the way it should. 6,000 fans a game is great, gets you top 100 attendance but still for wsu we know thats not good enough. i used to argue wsu and ogden don't deserve d1 basketball. so much potential going to waste...unless people just don't care about college hoops anymore which could be possible.

if we could play better teams and get more student involvement and more fans to the games things could change for the better. 10 yrs into rahe era students still won't come to games but we dont even have any marquee games to brag about to at least get them to come see the dee. next yr we wont even have byu or usu at home. so we can tell them to come see uvu and multemoah.

i dont expect rahe to become john calipari and be the coach and marketing department like he did at umass but our coach needs help.

complaining about athletics, marketing dept, the schedule is beating a dead horse but there is a reason yr after yr fans are complaining on here about those things. i cant believe in real change until i see 8,000 attendance average with 1,000 student average.

weren't you saying to me last week that Rahe was done? Now AJ comes on and you suddenly change course. You were saying that after the UVU debacle that you were done supporting Rahe. You hypocrite!! :dunce: :rofl:

I agree with AJ...that is an angle that we haven't really explored. Rahe does what his bosses what him to do. So is the issue with Jerry? Does Jerry want to ensure his alma mater isn't beaten every year? Is that why USU wins most of the time against Weber? I totally doubt that is the case. Jerry is totally committed to Weber State, but I can see the argument that conference is more important and hence that is the emphasis the coaching staff puts on the season.

talhadfoursteals said:
weren't you saying to me last week that Rahe was done? Now AJ comes on and you suddenly change course. You were saying that after the UVU debacle that you were done supporting Rahe. You hypocrite!! :dunce: :rofl:

It's hilarious watching the ebbs and flows of this talk of Rahe as a good coach or not. Didn't hear many arguments supporting Rahe after the UVU loss, now after two big suck wins anyone who argues that Rahe isn't good is labeled as crazy.

All I know is that it feels like the level of excitement surrounding the basketball program is less than it used to be and getting worse every year. You can probably blame it on a lot of things, but coaching is always the first thing people blame. For me it's difficult anymore to get excited for what seems like the same thing every season, an uninspiring "pre-season", hope to win a bad conference, and hope to not get embarrassed in the NCAA if we make it.

Sometimes, I'm embarrassed that I post on this forum.

Randy is a good coach, a good man, and a valued member of our community. He is improving as a coach and the program is improving. He has not reached his peak as a coach and the program he is building has not reached its peak either.

I could see this thread if the program was heading in the wrong direction, but it isn't. Randy is a relatively young coach with a huge up side. Our program is good, but also has a huge up side. It takes a lot of hard work to grow the program that we all want and these coaches are working hard to get it done. Plus, they are doing everything the right way, within the rules, and with the right people.

Some, on this forum, Have withdrawn their support for a program they have loved, due to something the BSC has done, or due to a game that was lost, when they thought we should have won it. I have said this before, and I'll probably say it many times again, everyone must choose to be a part of the solution or part of the problem. If you choose not to be part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

I am firmly behind Randy Rahe and the WSU program.

oldrunner said:
Sometimes, I'm embarrassed that I post on this forum.

Randy is a good coach, a good man, and a valued member of our community. He is improving as a coach and the program is improving. He has not reached his peak as a coach and the program he is building has not reached its peak either.

I could see this thread if the program was heading in the wrong direction, but it isn't. Randy is a relatively young coach with a huge up side. Our program is good, but also has a huge up side. It takes a lot of hard work to grow the program that we all want and these coaches are working hard to get it done. Plus, they are doing everything the right way, within the rules, and with the right people.

Some, on this forum, Have withdrawn their support for a program they have loved, due to something the BSC has done, or due to a game that was lost, when they thought we should have won it. I have said this before, and I'll probably say it many times again, everyone must choose to be a part of the solution or part of the problem. If you choose not to be part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

I am firmly behind Randy Rahe and the WSU program.

Rahe is nearing 60 years old. The landscape of college basketball coaches is getting younger, more enthused coaches...

Olds, can you please tell the rest of us what Rahe's ceiling actually is then? Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, National Champions? What more can we expect? Beat BYU? I'm not seeing it like you olds..

Latest posts

Back