• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Fire Rahe

First post.I have always enjoyed reading the back and forth on this Web site,it's always interesting to hear someone else's thoughts on the game,the players etc.My perspective is this.have some of you lost your minds,the product being put out on the court right now is in my opinion fantastic.Do you want to go back to the dark days of Cravens,Farmer or Huston.look nobody is perfect except for you winers maybe.Randy may not be the greatest coach but he is a very good recruiter so enjoy it while it lasts.Go Randy and go cats.

Tomcat said:
First post.I have always enjoyed reading the back and forth on this Web site,it's always interesting to hear someone else's thoughts on the game,the players etc.My perspective is this.have some of you lost your minds,the product being put out on the court right now is in my opinion fantastic.Do you want to go back to the dark days of Cravens,Farmer or Huston.look nobody is perfect except for you winers maybe.Randy may not be the greatest coach but he is a very good recruiter so enjoy it while it lasts.Go Randy and go cats.

Like the weather, the general opinion on Randy Rahe can change quickly. We were low on him when he lost to Utah State and South Dakota State. We were high on him when he won the Gulf Coast Classic. We were rightfully low on him when he lost to UVU and Denver, teams Weber is far more talented than.

His stock is rising or at least somewhat positive at the moment due to a six-game winning streak including a revenge win against South Dakota State. But we're generally still hesitant because we've come to learn that the Big Sky regular season means nothing if they don't win the conference championship, which they've often failed to do, including when the favorite in the Dee Events Center (2009, 2010).

We're not asking for a sweet sixteen appearance on a yearly basis--we're asking for some consistency in dominating weaker opponents, winning an in-state game now and again, and being in the NCAA tournament more than once every seven years (2007, 2014 are the prior two). In a conference as weak as the Big Sky (with an automatic bid), Weber should be going much more often than that. I don't think the above is too much to ask for.

I think it is a matter of resources being spent on Rahe that puzzles a number of fans. He makes almost 400K a year. Making that much means that their is so much more expected of Randy than the other Big Sky coaches. I believe the next most earned in the Big Sky isn't even over 200K. Randy is making double that. He also has the best facilities and resources available. No one else in the Sky has what Randy has at his disposal. The issue isn't whether or not he should be our coach. I think he should be, but how much he should be compensated. Think if Randy only made 250K, with another 100K - 150K available, Jerry could, each season, have all home games available on TV, and he could possibly buy one guarantee DI game (if we add in the money available this season, we could possibly get two guarantee's, and all quality games on TV; we never should have non-DIs on TV.).

Beating USU, BYU, Utah, and UVU (if Cry Baby Krysto will ever play us again) should get him extra $$$, winning the Big Sky regular and tournament should too, along with any major tournaments we may play in. Losing to any below 300 RPI's should be automatic losses of salary.

It is a matter of compensation that really irks me.

talhadfoursteals said:
I think it is a matter of resources being spent on Rahe that puzzles a number of fans. He makes almost 400K a year. Making that much means that their is so much more expected of Randy than the other Big Sky coaches. I believe the next most earned in the Big Sky isn't even over 200K. Randy is making double that. He also has the best facilities and resources available. No one else in the Sky has what Randy has at his disposal. The issue isn't whether or not he should be our coach. I think he should be, but how much he should be compensated. Think if Randy only made 250K, with another 100K - 150K available, Jerry could, each season, have all home games available on TV, and he could possibly buy one guarantee DI game (if we add in the money available this season, we could possibly get two guarantee's, and all quality games on TV; we never should have non-DIs on TV.).

Beating USU, BYU, Utah, and UVU (if Cry Baby Krysto will ever play us again) should get him extra $$$, winning the Big Sky regular and tournament should too, along with any major tournaments we may play in. Losing to any below 300 RPI's should be automatic losses of salary.

It is a matter of compensation that really irks me.

Timing -- and leverage -- is everything. When Rahe and his agent negotiated his contract, folks were concerned he was going to be "the next big thing." He used that leverage to get a very good contract.

I don't give a rat's patooty, how much he makes. If he buys me an adult beverage a couple of times a year, I'm a happy camper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomcat said:

Please join in all the time Tomcat. New posters are really welcome! The more the merrier...

I will say that one thing that was driving me crazy was Rahe's narrow rotation. He can recruit. But if some of those kids never play, I worry about losing the talent he's brought in. Since the UVU loss he has been very different with his rotations -- much less predictable and giving more minutes to players who seem to be having good games (see Gittens second half last game). I've really enjoyed watching this team since then and seeing us go 9 and even 10 players deep. I think it helps their chemistry and I know that as players they really pull for each other -- and I love the energy the bench is bringing right now.

I'm still a little wary with Rahe. There are some hurdles I'd love to see him get across, namely Sky tournament consistency and getting to the Big Dance more often. A couple of his losses when we were favored have been very disheartening... But for right now I'll take him using his assets more efficiently and hold my criticism.

Go Cats!

Bengal visitor said:
Timing -- and leverage -- is everything. When Rahe and his agent negotiated his contract, folks were concerned he was going to be "the next big thing." He used that leverage to get a very good contract.
:nod: It'll be interesting to see this next time around (2017) because unless Coach Rahe's team really goes bonkers & wins big in this postseason (BSC & anyother), that "leverage" has evaporated. The $90K Rahe gets by still being aboard @ WSU each July was a result of AD Bovee clamoring at that particular juncture for the booster $$ support when Colorado State & Boise State were sniffing around on Rahe for their new BB coach. Rahe's WSU contract will likely get renewed/extended, like it or not, unless his team really lays an egg these next couple of seasons & maybe same $. But like 'Tal', my frustration of the compensation issue, etc., may get changed hopefully with incentives to WIN some big (instate & OOC) games more often with a smaller base salary (doubt there will be disincentives/penalties for the likes of losing to a poor UVU team, although I'd like it)!! Reality tells me that Bovee's satisfaction with mediocre will keep things about the same, we'll see what boosters will come thru with. :twocents:

I don't understand the big deal about what randy makes.The big school coaches Duke,UCONN,North Carolina etc they get paid big dollars to not just have winning programs but also to recruit 5 star players.They wouldn't have a job if they brought in 2 and 3 star.So basically Randy and all the other lower ranked schools have to scrap for what's left.AND I think he has done a great job of finding the best of the rest and developing them.And look at Bolomboy,I am not afraid to say that his improvement from last year he is NBA talent.I like what I see with our program,they are not perfect but odds are in our favor that we could see a big sky title.

Tomcat said:
I don't understand the big deal about what randy makes.The big school coaches Duke,UCONN,North Carolina etc they get paid big dollars to not just have winning programs but also to recruit 5 star players.They wouldn't have a job if they brought in 2 and 3 star.So basically Randy and all the other lower ranked schools have to scrap for what's left.AND I think he has done a great job of finding the best of the rest and developing them.And look at Bolomboy,I am not afraid to say that his improvement from last year he is NBA talent.I like what I see with our program,they are not perfect but odds are in our favor that we could see a big sky title.

1. Randy's contract is a big deal because it is over twice as much as the next highest paid coach in the conference. It is 4 times as much as the lowest paid coach Brian Jones. It's not like he is making just a little bit more. If you in your job Tom were making double the going rate for your job than your counterparts at a similar company. Your company would expect more from you.
2. Randy's contract is a big deal because it is large in comparison to the size of our athletic budget. The schools you reference have much larger athletic budgets than ours (exponentially). If your salary represented a very large percentage of your departments budget, your company would expect more from you.
3. Randy's contract is a big deal because around $100,000 is privately sourced through multiple donors in the community. I am imagine that it makes working out an extension tricky. Plus what happens when one of the donors gets upset or passes away. It appears from the outside to be a complex piece of the puzzle. If your salary was so large that it required the companies share holders to make donations out of their personal funds, the share holders would expect more from you.
4. The schedule works in our favor to not have the Montana trip this year, but Montana looks to have as good of odds as us at this point to win the title.
5. It is not all Randy's fault but there seems to be a high level of apathy among the fan base this season. The DEE is about 2,000 people less per game than the past few seasons. We have one of the most exciting players in the nation. We should have 2,000 more. Is it KJAZZ covering all the games? Is it the amazing Road to Reno? Is the awesome home OOC schedule? Is it Randy's lack of concern for instate games and his slew of excuses after losses? My guess is that all of the above factors are playing in to it.

Let's take the head coaching salary back down to 100 thousand,we will say goodbye to randy and hire a new coach.there is a possibility that the next coach will take us down the tubes,there goes more attendance down the tubes and the revenue drops.the grizzlies coach gets noticed for the fine recruiting he has been doing and the success they have had,some other school offers him more money dang he is gone.it's the cycle teams like ours have to deal with.Weber will never have a program that competes for a national title every year and moving to another conference will get Weber what? They will still have the same budget.I like what we have the best of the rest.

No one is saying we should just pay 100K. In my opinion, I think our results are around the 200-250 K range. Are we really the best of the rest? Montana lost a fantastic coach in Tinkle they bring in Decuire and appear to not have missed a beat. With Randy attendance is dropping, not sure about revenue. I am not in favor of letting coach go. I do believe we are not getting our moneys worth.

I do believe that randy is getting his share of the best of the rest and yea we all want Weber to Excell and beat everybody but that won't happen.I agree that we need to win games instate,that is very frustrating.the UVU game was most frustrating because we all know that certain refs can take a team out of their game plan we seen that in the north Dakota game and the fact that their guard hit some pretty lucky 3 pointers in that game wth UVU I am not making excuses but teams also get up more to play weber.we have all seen the dark days other coaches put us through that's why I am happy now.

we could have ended this thread with utahpirates post. i think he summed up what majority likely think.

i dont think anyone really believes rahe should be canned but when you get to the 10th year and your losing to a worse than usual uvu (rpi #347) you have to ask yourself where are we going.

also i dont understand the logic that if we lost rahe the next coach could be taking us down the drain. isnt it possible we have a good program and could get a good coach? or its very unlikely? i posted the below a while ago which in my opinion a bad or average coach in our program and have lots of success.

Sir Velo said:
cravens wasn't a very good coach and is remembered by the fans as a bad coach. during his 7 year tenure at weber state he won 57% of his games. he won a big sky title. he was in the big sky tournament championship game 2 of his final 4 seasons. he beat byu, wisconsin and LSU. 1 ncaa appearance.

rahe is a good coach. during his last 9 seasons at weber state he has won 64% of his games. he won 4 big sky titles. he was in the big sky tournament championship game 5 times. 2 ncaa appearances.

I am just saying we can go down the tubes,I have seen it before.Cravens did not retire from weber either. Good coaches are hard to come by.I have just read posts about should we can randy or we are paying too much for what we are getting,I personally like him and I like how he recruits and develops players.whatever he gets paid is up to them.heck if I don't like a restaurant and think it costs too much I don't call to fire the manager,I just don't go back.

Rahe isn't going anywhere. He will probably get an extension at the end of the season till 2019 or 2020.

I've already written about compensation. I think that needs to be adjusted and a merit salary with bonuses needs to be the new contract. A base salary of 275K with a chance to get bonuses = to 400K+ if he can get the wins. To me that would be a much better contract.

As for coaching. One thing that has always bugged me is how kind (not against kindness or respect...it is a civil response and is good to show, but not towards opposing teams?!) he is towards opposing teams. He doesn't have that killer instinct. We are up by 10 against Portland and instead of pushing on the gas, he slows down the game, which allows Portland to get back into the game. He plays not to lose, instead of playing 40 mins to win. Far too often teams are able to get back into game once the Cats slow things down.

It is absolutely rare to see the Cats score when we run down the clock. Usually, we take a desperation shot (right now, Jeremy won't give up the ball...instead of finding the best shot he dribbles and misses a bad shot) or turn the ball over. Normally, in these types of game situations, plays are usually called on the fly, instead of being part of the established "system." That is not a strength of Rahe's. It is like our in bound plays. They are lacking in creativity and usually we take the easy way and thrown the ball into the back court. Set up the set play and go from there. That approach is very mundane and perfunctory and it is a major sign of how he approacheds games; cautiously. At first, I liked the toughness he brought when he first got here, now we get leads and play not to lose and usually drop close games in the process.

Watched some of the OSU/CU game last night. Both teams are coached by former Big Sky coaches that were hired during Rahe's time in the conference and both have had some good success at the "next level" (also interesting that both these guys had really good college playing careers). Couldn't help but think that there are certainly reasons why Rahe is still coaching in the Big Sky. I remember hearing that Rahe would replace Morril at USU and that didn't happen either. I could probably accept Rahe getting a contract extension if that contract was for a much lower base salary and was loaded with incentives for accomplishing certain things like beating instate schools and winning other "big" games.

As far as randy not going to Utah State you gotta give him a fist pump for that.I hope the coach for OSU gets to the big dance and not lose by 40 plus points and not look like a high school team and if I remember right the UNC coach won the big sky just once with I think 5 fifth year seniors to where the refs gave them the final game against montana

Latest posts

Back