• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Fire Rahe

Rahe is an extremely talented coach and has proven to make Weber competitive year after year. Anyone at the UVU game would tell you from the beginning that it was going to be close. Basketball is a game where anyone can beat anyone at home and that's why the many teams won't go on the road. I'm not against putting pressure on him to get better. However, for coach to have his team battling after a hard loss with a good chance to beat Denver, is another testament to his coaching ability. In sports, if your competitive and close you are doing something right. If you want an example of what may happen if Rahe left, just look at what happened when Mac left.

Purple Blood if you think Rahe coached his team well against Denver you saw a different game than the one I watched. Hell, maybe you didn't see the game at all! The UVU game should never have been close considering the difference in talent of the two teams. It was better coaching and strategy by UVU that made it close.

You speak about Mac as if he were some exceptional coach. Mac was exceptionally good and getting people to like him but his coaching skills were average at best. Just look at his long-term record at Utah and at Weber. A 500 coach over a long period of time is not exceptional. Get a clue dude...

We wouldn't be having this conversation had we made one more shot against UVU and Denver. If you have ever coached sports you know that often their is nothing you can do but give yourself a chance to win, which is what we have done in every game except one. Mac leaving was a big mistake because we beat everyone we should have and almost stole a few other games if the ball had bounced our way. If anything, we don't deserve coach Rahe because he is clearly high-major talent.

PurpleBlood said:
We wouldn't be having this conversation had we made one more shot against UVU and Denver. If you have ever coached sports you know that often their is nothing you can do but give yourself a chance to win, which is what we have done in every game except one. Mac leaving was a big mistake because we beat everyone we should have and almost stole a few other games if the ball had bounced our way. If anything, we don't deserve coach Rahe because he is clearly high-major talent.
Many of us were having this conversation long before UVU and Denver. If Rahe was clearly high-major talent he would have been hired long ago by a high-major program. There are obvious reasons why Rahe is still coaching a low-major program.

PurpleBlood said:

The best thing that could happen to this program is Rahe to get hired away, but that won't be happening any time soon. Rahe is not a great coach, he is an overall good coach who has become stagnant, and much too predictable. He's a good guy who's a little arrogant & very stubborn. He's only been to the NCAA's twice in 10 years, mostly due to his inability to coach X's & O's, making proper coaching & in game strategies. His clock management at the end of games is horrible. Flash card system is hokie as hell, I just love seeing Cannon dribbling up the floor with his neck turned to the bench trying to read those damn cards. He's shown no ability to coach a team to break up a zone, an inbounds play, press breaker.

His mentors half court sets system ( FlashCards ), which he religiously follows allowed Morrill ONE NCAA tourney win his entire career. Rahe has said many times he is a creature of habit.

His Salary and resources dominates the rest of the conference, however he has been unable to dominate the Big Sky, everything but.

This thread is not about Weber losing to UVU, and Denver. The wheels started to fall off of the Wizards bus when Weber lost to Montana State in the Semi's of the Conference tourney on our home court in 2009, and everything in between then and now.

How is it that a coach can apparently dominate a conference for a decade, and has been to the Dance once in the last 9 years? A conference in which most cases Rahe is making 400% more in Salary than most of the coaches. Does that sound like a good ROI to anyone here?

PurpleBlood said:

i can somewhat agree with that. if this thread was titled "does weber deserve a D1 men's basketball program" then my answer would be no way! wsu students, no way. the students alone would a reason to end the program. attendance in general is poor compared to what the value of the program is on a typical season but this for me has nothing to do with who the coach is.

in 2008 the wclub showed me a print out of student attendance. best game was usu, 750. worst was a conf game, 61. if that was 2016, thats not a good turnout even on the best day. 750/26,0000= 2.8%. it isnt a hard argument to make for wsu and ogden to not deserve having a D1 program for either sport.

so to conclude we do not deserve a D1 program. :mrgreen:

Sir Velo said:
PurpleBlood said:

i can somewhat agree with that. if this thread was titled "does weber deserve a D1 men's basketball program" then my answer would be no way! wsu students, no way. the students alone would a reason to end the program. attendance in general is poor compared to what the value of the program is on a typical season but this for me has nothing to do with who the coach is.

in 2008 the wclub showed me a print out of student attendance. best game was usu, 750. worst was a conf game, 61. if that was 2016, thats not a good turnout even on the best day. 750/26,0000= 2.8%. it isnt a hard argument to make for wsu and ogden to not deserve having a D1 program for either sport.

Uh...Dude are you high? So, how many students should have to attend a game to qualify a school for DI? What is your magic percentage? This is the strangest logic I have ever read. Where the hell did you come up with this notion?

Yes...Weber State Basketball is going through a weird era. We will still be one of the top teams in the Sky and might even win the conference's crown again. But the situation isn't improving. The program is stagnant. Student participation is constipated, and worst of all the administration is proving how either absolutely lazy or incompetent they are. This is normal for them? These are situations that are considered as meeting a measurable benchmark or achieving established goals? The reason why nothing happens is that it nobody really wants someone who will work. It'll make them look bad. They want to do just enough. Work...is a dirty word to athletics. Lets just do enough so that we can stay somewhat relevant. We don't want to grow, improve, or build a lasting legacy of success. We just don't care. No passion... No drive... No concern... Just collect a check and go home. Just do enough ='s success for athletics and Randy Rahe.

That's the attitude purple blood... "under Mac we won almost every game we should have". How can you say that when his record was barely over 500. If it had been 750 you probably could say that. Until people at Weber and Weber fans begin to think that 500 is not OK, we will never be a threat to even the Big Sky in basketball and to no one in football. Why don't we shoot for a little more than just "OK"?

Sir Velo said:
PurpleBlood said:

Holy crap Sir Velo did you recently get a medical marijuana card? By your logic over 270 D1 schools should get rid of their basketball programs because the community doesn't deserve them.

How can the Ogden area community not deserve Weber basketball when it averaged over 6,800 fans per game last season? Coming in at 73 out of 344, ahead of many p5 programs including the MAJORITY of the PAC12 and Mountain West p5 schools Washington, Arizona State, Oregon, USC, Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford, Florida State, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Boise St. Nevada, Texas Tech, Wyoming, Miss St., Virginia Tech, Colorado State

Keep in mind Colorado States or any other MWC or PAC12 school home conference schedule would be a lot easier to attract fans over the Big Sky.

WeberSki said:
Sir Velo said:
PurpleBlood said:

Holy crap Sir Velo did you recently get a medical marijuana card? By your logic over 270 D1 schools should get rid of their basketball programs because the community doesn't deserve them.

How can the Ogden area community not deserve Weber basketball when it averaged over 6,800 fans per game last season? Coming in at 73 out of 344, ahead of many p5 programs including the MAJORITY of the PAC12 and Mountain West p5 schools Washington, Arizona State, Oregon, USC, Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford, Florida State, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Boise St. Nevada, Texas Tech, Wyoming, Miss St., Virginia Tech, Colorado State

Keep in mind Colorado States or any other MWC or PAC12 school home conference schedule would be a lot easier to attract fans over the Big Sky.

you made some good observations i am fully aware of that and it doesn't impact my comments. so, yes, majority of D1 should be gone. :rofl: i mean 351? if we dont average 10,000 per game then wsu/ogden is unworthy. we aren't sac or wcc teams. 6800 doesnt cut it for me. :thumb:

if i am to defend ogden....they might say weber doesn't play anyone. nothing can be done about big sky but home ooc? that can be solved. no excuse playing 3 non's and sub 300 rpi D1.

Sir Velo said:
WeberSki said:
Sir Velo said:
PurpleBlood said:

you made some good observations i am fully aware of that and it doesn't impact my comments. so, yes, majority of D1 should be gone. :rofl: i mean 351? if we dont average 10,000 per game then wsu/ogden is unworthy. we aren't sac or wcc teams. 6800 doesnt cut it for me. :thumb:

if i am to defend ogden....they might say weber doesn't play anyone. nothing can be done about big sky but home ooc? that can be solved. no excuse playing 3 non's and sub 300 rpi D1.

Totally redeemed yourself! :clap:

I wonder if Rahes inability to win big games and in-state games has to due in part with the self fulfilling prophesies he makes. I wonder if the players think, "it's okay to lose a close game as long as coach thinks we are getting better". "It's okay to miss these pressure free throws in a close game to BYU because coach says we are in the pre-season". Maybe we can use that $45,000 from BYU and hire a sports psychologist to meet with the team once a week.

Or, interesting thought here. use that $45k to pay Frank Otis as a bigs coach. Maybe he would bring some toughness we are missing. He wasnt the greatest player but he always hustled and a great guy to boot. I know he could bring something to the team.

Wildcat_Fan said:
Or, interesting thought here. use that $45k to pay Frank Otis as a bigs coach. Maybe he would bring some toughness we are missing. He wasnt the greatest player but he always hustled and a great guy to boot. I know he could bring something to the team.

He was a case of coulda shoulda woulda, but injuries really impacted his career.

What are you guys talking about? He was Awesome his Senior year. The best season under Rahe had a lot to do with Otis.

He certainly knew how to break a 2-3 zone, catching the ball at the high post and taking it for a basket. He out rebounded many who were much taller. Teach aggression and how to properly play the post.
I really thing the team could use the intangibles that he had

is there any scenario that could happen in 2015-16 in order for us to forget the #347 rpi uvu loss????? its the worst d1 loss in wsu history. it has to be. it was an in-state game! does dancing cancel this out?

Sir Velo said:
is there any scenario that could happen in 2015-16 in order for us to forget the #347 rpi uvu loss????? its the worst d1 loss in wsu history. it has to be. it was an in-state game! does dancing cancel this out?

Not for me, but it's so much more than just that. The last two vs USU, the last two vs SUU, Denver, the pathetic home schedule, the road to nowhere, it all takes its toll. Narrowly beating a good mid-major at home with their 2 top scorers out after you've already played them once doesn't make up for it for me. Hell, I think the concensious is that we feel like we have the talent to go through a relatively weak conference and go dancing many of the last 10 years, but we don't.

Latest posts

Back