• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Fire Rahe

talhadfoursteals said:
Rahe will continue to be our coach and Weber will continue to ho-hum its way through time. Weber didn't only lose a basketball game tonight, it lost a place of importance in the state. We are falling behind UVU because we are content and don't try. Utah Valley puts on a better show, has UVUtv, has a student body that wants to be there and the university it full of imagination and passion they are determined. We have a marketing guy who can't forge relationships and an administration content to do just enough. Embarrassing realization for a once distinguished and illustrious institution. Weber really isn't anything more than Harrison High or Just Weber. Forget about We Are Weber...we are the joke of Utah.

Spot on. It is getting ugly. At least we are the 6th best team in utah this year.... :wtf:

Maybe things were different five, ten, fifteen years ago, but ever since I've been at Weber it's pretty damn obvious that the majority of students consider this place as a community college rather than a four year institution. To think that with "better marketing" or anything like that we would ever increase the student interest in the sports teams is ridiculous.

The other thing I don't get is why the hell people care more about winning these in-state rivalry games against (typically) better teams than us than winning conference games—games that actually matter.

Back2WSU said:
The other thing I don't get is why the hell people care more about winning these in-state rivalry games against (typically) better teams than us than winning conference games—games that actually matter.

Are you related to Rahe? This has got to be the stupidest post in the history of this board.

WeberSki said:
Back2WSU said:

Are you related to Rahe? This has got to be the stupidest post in the history of this board.

No I am not, but I will admit I am an out of state student so I don't have strong ties to Utah. My point remains though. I would rather lose in-state games than conference games.

talhadfoursteals said:
On another note...anyone else notice that since Beckner left we aren't good? Our bigs aren't developing and our teams defense is soft? We desperately need Beckner back in Ogden. Rahe needs better assistants.

Uh, ya, almost immediately. In fact, there have been posts on here about that and I've personally had discussions about it with family at last year's games. Maybe the wrong coach left.

Back2WSU said:

I respect you back2wsu and I agree that firing Rahe is the wrong approach right now. But we all have to admit tonight was the most embarrassing night for the school in its basketball history. You cannot lose to UVU. Period...

You are evidently not from Ogden/Northern Utah or are a graduate of Weber State. If you were you'd understand why this matters so much. UVU is a pretend school that is gaining notoriety over Weber State. This is painful. I'm absolutely sick about tonight.

talhadfoursteals said:
Back2WSU said:

I respect you back2wsu and I agree that firing Rahe is the wrong approach right now. But we all have to admit tonight was the most embarrassing night for the school in its basketball history. You cannot lose to UVU. Period...

You are evidently not from Ogden/Northern Utah or are a graduate of Weber State. If you were you'd understand why this matters so much. UVU is a pretend school that is gaining notoriety over Weber State. This is painful. I'm absolutely sick about tonight.

I am not from Utah, but I am a current WSU student. I will admit that I very likely don't care as much about in state games as someone who has grown up in Utah. That being said, I am sick and tired of people bitching about how we have to can Rahe because we have lost to in state schools.

Back2WSU said:

Rivalry is the key word there. If you grew up experiencing the once intense true in-state rivalries, maybe you'd understand. Not to mention, Weber benefits in recruiting and in other ways by not being 6th best team in the state.

A couple of things I don't get:
1) Why can't us fans care about winning both? What does Rahe's (seeming) indifference to in-state have anything to do with an inability to be every bit as prepared for conference play and a desire to win them as well?
2) For the next three years (at least) why aren't in-state and (quality) OOC as or more important than conference games? Everyone gets in on the same neutral court! My argument would be that being competitive and winning some of these game will indeed prepare them for the tournament which is all that really matters at this point.

Back2WSU said:
talhadfoursteals said:
Back2WSU said:

I am not from Utah, but I am a current WSU student. I will admit that I very likely don't care as much about in state games as someone who has grown up in Utah. That being said, I am sick and tired of people bitching about how we have to can Rahe because we have lost to in state schools.

Maybe you should google search (Anthony Johnson torches WSU) how Weber lost the Tournament championship on our floor after being up by 20 to Montana at half. 2010 I believe. Oh ya he managed to lose the tournament on our home floor in the Semis the year prior. The fact that this guy is pulling down $400k is a crazy joke. His mentor's system he mimics won his mentor a whopping 1 NCAA game his entire career.

WeberSki said:
Back2WSU said:
talhadfoursteals said:
Back2WSU said:

Maybe you should google search (Anthony Johnson torches WSU) how Weber lost the Tournament championship on our floor after being up by 20 to Montana at half. 2010 I believe. Oh ya he managed to lose the tournament on our home floor in the Semis the year prior. The fact that this guy is pulling down $400k is a crazy joke. His mentor's system he mimics won his mentor a whopping 1 NCAA game his entire career.

Losing a 20 point lead sucks, but Montana is the best team in the conference not named Weber State. Montana won the title in 2010, 2012 and 2013. Again, losing sucks, but if it has to happen I would rather we lost to Montana than another, lesser team.

For years I have defended Randy Rahe. but after last year and this year losing to a PATHETIC Utah Valley University team, something needs to change. Although I don't think we should necessarily fire him straight away, my days of defending him are over. It is an option we seriously need to put on the table

He needs to be called on the carpet and seriously answer (not in "Coachspeak") why he lost to a pathetic UVU team? Why he lost to a mediocre Utah State team (a team which was pounded by a DII team at home earlier) at home? How he lost a 20 point lead in one half to lose the Big Sky Championship game at home? Why is he consistently outcoached by the other instate coaches and many BSC coaches?

At "coachspeak" there may be none better. But at coaching, he leaves a lot to be desired. We need good coaching, not good "coachspeaking."

November 13: Wisconsin loses 69-67 against Western Illinois (currently 6-2. Went 8-20 last season)
November 13: UCLA loses 84-81 against Monmouth (currently 5-3. Went 18-15 last season)
November 26 and 29: Notre Dame loses 70-68 to Monmouth (currently 5-3. Went 18-15 last season) and then loses to Alabama 74-73 (currently 5-2. Went 19-15 last season)
November 27: Arizona loses 69-65 to Providence (currently 9-1. Went 22-12 last season)

Four teams that made it to the Elite Eight last year that lost to "inferior teams" this year that didn't even make last year's tournament. Good teams lose to bad teams some times. Tonight you can say that happened when we lost to UVU. It happens. We'll move on and win other games.

Whether or not in-state games are important to the coaches and players, these games matter to the fans. I have been a Weber State fan since my infancy despite growing up in the Salt Lake area. Whenever I'd wear anything Weber State related to elementary school, BYU and Utah fans alike would give me so much ****. And they weren't joking around. They were a little vicious about it. It got bad enough that I just stopped wearing purple to school. At some point in my younger years I went to a Weber/Utah game at the Huntsman Center and got to hear various fans tell one another how much Weber State sucks.

One-bid conference (have to win the conference to get into March Madness) or not, it's nice when Weber State wins an in-state game and you have some back up if someone wants to start talking trash. Going back to elementary school, had Weber State been clowning these fools, I would have worn purple like a banner. I would have gotten my *** kicked for it, but it would have been worth it.

For WSUfan who says that we can't get better under Rahe, but we could get worse with another coach... Isn't that a bit like "playing games not to lose instead of to win them". If Montana, UVU & SUU can attract a coach who out coaches Rahe, for a fraction of the salary of Rahe, why couldn't WSU attract an even better coach than those with the money they pay. Of course we could get better with a better coach.

This attitude is the same attitude that is pervasive in the Athletic Department of WSU. When I talk to the people there all I hear is we are so pleased with Rahe. That he has the best record in the Big Sky. In fact, Rahe's platitudes about losses against all opponents is an exact duplicate of the attitude of the athletic department. No wonder they love each other so much. There is no focus on getting better throughout athletics, they are happy to be one of several "big fish" in a the dried-up, muddy little watering hole called the Big Sky. They make each other comfortable. There is no greater formula for failure in any organization than "comfort".

So, the only thing that is going to convince the AD to find a better basketball coach is if Rahe loses, like he did last year, for 3-4 consecutive years. He is a believer in Rahe, but at that point he would become "uncomfortable " and desire a change. So, for anyone who wants to see Rahe go, maybe you should be praying for a couple more losing seasons under him.

I have been a financial contributor to WSU athletics for many years in hopes that they would improve the quality of the athletic department and get people in there who actually are inspired to make Weber better in at least the two major sports. Those contributions have failed to change anything, because the people who must change things are the same people who are satisfied with less than mediocre. They are not creative, inspired or motivated people. Their motivation is focused on doing as little as possible in their work and keeping the demand on them in a place of comfort for them. Not the stuff of champions...

UVU is a dynamic new University with big plans and motivated people to make those plans happen. SUU is committed to being better than Weber in football and basketball. They are motivated and go out and do the things needed for it to happen. So, in both cases, it is a matter of a bureaucracy driven lethargic organization with a longer history and more assets getting plowed under by dynamic, creative and motivated organizations.

Weber is what Weber is. It has been that way for a long time. There is no motivation to rise to new levels but only a focus on trying to drink most of the water in the dried-up, muddy little watering hole. It will change only after the pervasive bureaucracy and unmotivated people in the department are replaced with people who are young, motivated, creative and focused on making the changes necessary to get better. Until then, it is now what it has been for many years... and the results will be similar to the results of many years. Don't forget, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get different results".

:rofl: :rofl: Laughing my ass off that there's actually someone on here defending Rahe and still wanting him as HC. If you're defending Rahe at this point then you're part of the problem.

kcoolhand said:
For years I have defended Randy Rahe. but after last year and this year losing to a PATHETIC Utah Valley University team, something needs to change. Although I don't think we should necessarily fire him straight away, my days of defending him are over. It is an option we seriously need to put on the table

kcoolhand, your thoughts pretty well reflect mine. A big piece of my heart for the Cats was broken last night. I turned off that game and my interest in the team had taken a serious dive. It's just too hard to watch. I'm no coach, and there are plenty of posters here that are strategically more savvy than me, but we can't take it to a team whose tallest player on the court is 6'6"? I've watched college basketball for a long, long time...

The one thing I think we all agree on is that Rahe is a solid recruiter. But when he has talent rotting at the end of his bench while getting beat by little more that normal high school talent scrubs at the end of UVU's bench something is truly wrong. I really like Baker, he did absolutely nothing for us in 37 minutes of play. I didn't think Cannon was very good either in 36 minutes of play. John, 22 minutes of play and what? Baker, Cannon, John and Gittens were a combined 5 for 30 shooting last night with a combined 9 turnovers. Their contributions for assists and rebounds were modest. I have said it here too many times and don't want to sound like a broken record, but where are Richardson and Jefferson when it is obvious that you need to see if they have any rhythm, or can bring any offense? And don't give me the their defense isn't good enough excuse for a sorry UVU team. Richardson can bring a lot of offensive firepower when he is on and there were several times last night I felt we were begging for his presence on the court. Jefferson as well. We needed them badly last night. I can only imagine how they must feel. That one didn't just hurt, it changed my perceptions about Rahe. I guess it's taken me a long time, but I went over the edge last night...

Back2WSU said:

Beating (tipically) better teams gets you ready for Big Sky play so we can cruise thru conf play as we have seen better competition.
Beating in state teams kills two birds with one stone.

Then there is the fact for a whole year you dont have to take sh!t from people about being a weber fan. When we beat utah by 20+ it was like a new day has come. And now this... WE JUST LOST TO UVU, AGAIN :wall:
It really doesnt get any lower than this. UVU, who used to be UVSC, can now hold it over our head for a whole year, and the fact that we are 0-4 in orem, losing to an inferior team each time.

I honestly thought Rahe was making progress after being in flordia, but I guess not. Im not content winning against crappy big sky teams. Its the NCAA tourney or Rahe is gone.

baller said:
For WSUfan who says that we can't get better under Rahe, but we could get worse with another coach... Isn't that a bit like "playing games not to lose instead of to win them". If Montana, UVU & SUU can attract a coach who out coaches Rahe, for a fraction of the salary of Rahe, why couldn't WSU attract an even better coach than those with the money they pay. Of course we could get better with a better coach.

This attitude is the same attitude that is pervasive in the Athletic Department of WSU. When I talk to the people there all I hear is we are so pleased with Rahe. That he has the best record in the Big Sky. In fact, Rahe's platitudes about losses against all opponents is an exact duplicate of the attitude of the athletic department. No wonder they love each other so much. There is no focus on getting better throughout athletics, they are happy to be one of several "big fish" in a the dried-up, muddy little watering hole called the Big Sky. They make each other comfortable. There is no greater formula for failure in any organization than "comfort".

So, the only thing that is going to convince the AD to find a better basketball coach is if Rahe loses, like he did last year, for 3-4 consecutive years. He is a believer in Rahe, but at that point he would become "uncomfortable " and desire a change. So, for anyone who wants to see Rahe go, maybe you should be praying for a couple more losing seasons under him.

I have been a financial contributor to WSU athletics for many years in hopes that they would improve the quality of the athletic department and get people in there who actually are inspired to make Weber better in at least the two major sports. Those contributions have failed to change anything, because the people who must change things are the same people who are satisfied with less than mediocre. They are not creative, inspired or motivated people. Their motivation is focused on doing as little as possible in their work and keeping the demand on them in a place of comfort for them. Not the stuff of champions...

UVU is a dynamic new University with big plans and motivated people to make those plans happen. SUU is committed to being better than Weber in football and basketball. They are motivated and go out and do the things needed for it to happen. So, in both cases, it is a matter of a bureaucracy driven lethargic organization with a longer history and more assets getting plowed under by dynamic, creative and motivated organizations.

Weber is what Weber is. It has been that way for a long time. There is no motivation to rise to new levels but only a focus on trying to drink most of the water in the dried-up, muddy little watering hole. It will change only after the pervasive bureaucracy and unmotivated people in the department are replaced with people who are young, motivated, creative and focused on making the changes necessary to get better. Until then, it is now what it has been for many years... and the results will be similar to the results of many years. Don't forget, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get different results".

:clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Couldnt agree more. Well said.

Latest posts

Back