• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Fire Rahe

The problem with losing the in-state games is an issue. I liked that when WSU hired HIll for FB,the one criteria was that he recruit and recruit well within the state, bringing in local kids. The same should be said to the next coach at WSU, someone who will take the in-state games more serious. With a drive to beat those schools.

One of the biggest problems I have with Rahe is his in game tactics/ lack thereof. Our 5'3" coach, who never played the game past elementary school, cant coach. Recruit, solid job there. Rahe has no idea what it is like to be a D1 bball player. ZERO idea. UVU with their first year head coach, beats us with his personal experience last night.

Rahe got beat by two first year coaches this year alone. I once heard that Dave Patton was willing to help coach on Rahe's staff, but Rahe did not want anything to do with it. Patten said, "it wasnt a lack for trying on my end" That quote was from a close friend with ties to Dave.

Losing these in-state games hurts and it goes along way.

I have a bust day so I will try to be quick.
1. We are more talented than UVU at every position other than the Coaching staff.

2. I believe that Senglin's sloppy, careless play has cost us the last two games. If he does not make that unforced TO in the first OT, we win. We were up by 7 with 1:20 to go.

3. How do you out rebound a team by 20 boards, and get 19 offensive boards and lose?

4. What the hell is on the flashcards? You have to believe that one of those card combinations contains a play that takes shorter than 20 seconds to develop. We have needed a couple of quick hitters at the end of the last two games and we take way too long to develop something. If this is on the assistants someone should be fired, TODAY!

5. It appears that the tail is wagging the dog again. We are playing sloppy and undisciplined. We even saw some of the "thuggish" swagger back last night. Randy does not have control of his team.

Maybe the title of this thread should be HIRE BECKNER!!

To me, he would be a far better associate head coach. Ugh...I thought a nights rest would calm me down. Nope!

Rahe wins conference games because he can out recruit other coaches in the Big Sky, not because he can out coach them. Weber has historically been at the top tier of the conference in Men's BBall and that is easy bait to lay our for recruits. Besides Dame, who loves everything and everyone Weber State, when was the last time you heard a current or former Weber player sing praises to Coach Rahe? Maybe those types of remarks just don't get printed, but I sure haven't heard about it.

Rahe's seemingly nonchalant attitude about in state games is infuriating! If you'll notice, he calls all non-conference games "preseason" like these games don't count or something. For those of us who are native Utahns, these games mean everything! Don't believe me? Look at the student section at the next USU or BYU game at the DEE. It will never be larger or more rowdy than in those two games. I get up for the USU and BYU games more so than for the majority of conference games. Unless you're a Weber fan, schools like Sac State, NAU, Northern Colorado, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, etc. are completely unknown in the state of Utah. Often the SL Trib and DesNews don't even run a real article on conference games besides the two paragraph AP summary. When we play any in state team, it will be written about and shown on the local nightly sports shows. Everybody gets to see that Weber lost to the team up the road...again...These games matter to fans, students, and recruits. How does a potential in state recruit take a Weber offer seriously when he knows that we have regularly lost to a joke of a program like UVU? :wall:

His typical robot comments of how he's proud of our guys and we lost to really good team need to stop. UVU is NOT a good team. They suck. Bad. Like really bad. Rahe needs to take a lesson from Dave Rose of BYU and own up when the his team plays like garbage. When was the last time you saw Rahe chew a player out for making a stupid mistake or sit a guy on the bench for taking too many stupid shots. Never. Doesn't happen. He's just "proud of his guys" for trying I guess...

To his credit, he did admit that the team made way to many mistakes late in the game (BGarside article in the Standard), but I think a junior jazz player could've come up with that conclusion.

Weber State basketball will never be taken seriously outside the BSC (which, to be honest is probably in the bottom 1/3 of all 30+ conference in college bball) unless they can be competitive with the likes of USU/UVU and an occasional win vs BYU/Utah. It's time for Rahe to feel the heat a little bit. He needs to know that fans are not going to accept this. He has done a lot of good in his career, but the piss poor play vs in state opponents needs to be addressed seriously and promptly. :twocents:

Firing Rahe right now would be a mistake, but also just let him walk around like nothing wrong is also a mistake. He needs to know his seat is getting hot and this mediocre basketball & coaching is not going to be acceptable anymore.
I want to say this loss erases any credibility we got from winning the Gulf Coast Tourney. I know that is drastic but thats how it feels. Two different WSU teams showed up

Wildcat_Fan said:
Firing Rahe right now would be a mistake, but also just let him walk around like nothing wrong is also a mistake. He needs to know his seat is getting hot and this mediocre basketball & coaching is not going to be acceptable anymore.
I want to say this loss erases any credibility we got from winning the Gulf Coast Tourney. I know that is drastic but thats how it feels. Two different WSU teams showed up
:+1: :agree:

I don't often post much but I was so mad after last night. I understand the sentiments and I am so tired of Rahe as well. 10 years and the same things beat him. He still can't beat a zone or a full court press. It is frustrating. We used to be known in the state and the nation for basketball, can we say that now? This instate games matter more than conference games! They just do for all the reasons posters have said. If you grew up here you understand how much Weber needs to win these games and we used to on a consistent basis. I grew up in the Ogden area and was a weirdo and made fun of for being a Weber St fan but at least then we won sometimes so I could fight back. I have to fight against Weber St alumni all the time now about their own school!

I have never lacked interest in Weber St basketball as much as I do right now. It is just so hard to care. Rahe cares about nothing more than winning a horrible conference and not about making the Dance. He could care less about instate games and now the conference ruined the tournament. It's hard for me to even want to go to games anymore and that's saying a lot.

argument #1: UVU sucks this year.

i agree this is an important game we can't just forget and say oh well. uvu was picked 6th of 8 in the preseason wac poll by the coaches. their only preseason all-conf player didnt even play against weber. and of course we outmatched them in size and we know they got served at home by suu and msu.

a few more stats that make me cringe.

Sagarin:
72 Weber State
297 Utah Valley

RPI:
131 Weber St.
347 Utah Valley

do you realize there are 351 teams? not 1,000.

argument #2: stop bragging about big sky wins.

the big sky is not the same big sky that ANY of the former weber coaches have coached against, not even cravens!

the sky has gone downhill rapidly. was the big sky ever the acc, i realize the answer is no. in the past 3 years it has taken a big nose dive.

dive 1: 1987 adding ewu
dive 2: 1997 adding psu and sac
dive 3: 2007 adding unc
dive 4: 2013 adding suu and und

abegglan did not have 12 guaranteed big sky wins a year like rahe currently has out of an 18-20 conf schedule. this is apples and oranges to compare rahe's big sky wins total or yearly average vs the other 8 coaches at wsu.

weber is a good basketball program with good facilities and lots of potential. cravens is proof that an average coach can thrive in our program and last 7 yrs and win lots of games. i like to use notre dame or usc football as a comparable example. those are great programs where a crappy coach can still win 7-9 games. a really good coach can win a national title and 10-13 games.

what happens if you get a really good coach like abegglan as far as winning goes?

i have always loved rahe's ability to make sure all his players graduate. he might be the best coach at wsu to do that. i dont konw for sure but it might be he is our best or one of the top guys of the 9 head coaches. but these instate games are extremely painful to watch us lose every single one. ive been around long enough to have remembered and seen wsu beating the big 3 regularly in the 90s.

Wildcat_Fan said:
I think we can all agree that you can't and shouldn't fire Rahe right now, in the middle of a season (it's a mute point anyway because we all know that the current administration and AD would never do that). And Rahe's under contract for this season and next, so he's not going anywhere before the end of next season (you'll never see this administration and AD buy out a contract). The big question is, does Rahe survive past next season and get an extension.

SWeberCat02 said:
Wildcat_Fan said:
I think we can all agree that you can't and shouldn't fire Rahe right now, in the middle of a season (it's a mute point anyway because we all know that the current administration and AD would never do that). And Rahe's under contract for this season and next, so he's not going anywhere before the end of next season (you'll never see this administration and AD buy out a contract). The big question is, does Rahe survive past next season and get an extension.

IF there is even any questions about extensions for Rahe, there has to be some big time balls involved on that. In the contract there would have to been written something like this; "for every in-state game lost (including SUU) $20k will be taken from salary, he would have to beat either BYU or USU each season, no tolerance losses to UVU (meaning termination if WSU loses to UVU), no more interviews containing the words or phrases; "we lost to very well balanced veteran team," "we will go out and fight like crazy and see what happens," "we lost to a very good team," "we lost to a team who has been playing together forever," "
He would have to bring in good D1 competition teams, no more NAIA start up programs playing at the DEE, hiring an assistant coach that is over 5'5" tall, getting rid of the stupid flash cards, beating a zone, beating the press. In the contract he would have three years minimum to win a game in the NCAA tourney, if no, means of termination." Somehow, the heat would really have to be put on him in this manner.

I was on the soap box to replace Rahe last year,and I predicted more problems this year.After every loss,he says we will learn from this game.He's not a strong coach at all, at this level. His teams are always learning,but never producing.He's had 10 long years,to produce a respected program.Enough is enough,it's time for a new direction.You just know weber will lose to all the in state teams every year . There's just not a feeling of confidence in the program.It's not even fun to go to games anymore,and I won't.I'm sure there are stronger,hungrier coaches out there, that just need a chance to take over a program like Webers.The team, as a whole,shoots awful.They can't even make foul shots when they need to.
Rahe is a nice person,but he needs to step down now.

Did anyone else read the article in the Standard by Brett Hein? Either in Thursday's or Fridays paper. He points out how WSU is terrible against the in-state schools. Interesting, in his colum, he has WSU vs USU at 2-8, when in reality it's 2-10.... Other than that, a good article that hopefully gets other fans/casual fan/administrators/Bovee's attention...

Okay...so two days after the travesty and finally I'm starting to calm down a bit. Still highly disappointed in our team and in athletics (but that is a constant feeling). I said this last year tongue in cheek, but now, early in this season, this issue seems more likely the problem behind the lack of development and inconsistent play. Rahe doesn't have very good assistants. Our assistants are probably some of the best paid in the conference and they just don't seem to be getting the job done. I'm a huge fan of Duft as a person, but you can tell he is in charge of the bigs. They are some of the most talented we have had at Weber and they aren't developing.

To me, since Beckner left, our team doesn't have the same bite. Three years ago, when Bernard was here, the team was an amazing defensive team and were the best in the nation at defending the three. McCoy brought toughness and was consistent, maybe not the best coaches but you knew he would out work anyone. It just is a shame that our best assistants are gone and we are left with...well, the leftovers. I think Smiley is a good one, but he is a junior coach and might not want to speak up so much. I remember seeing Beckner getting after the players and really pushing them during games. We just don't see that anymore.

Here is the link on Weber losing in state games.

http://www.standard.net/Weber-State/2015/12/10/weber-state-basketball-struggles-in-state-opponents.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and my favorite part:

"After all, the last time the Wildcats lost to Utah Valley they won the conference and went to the NCAA Tournament in 2014 — as a 16-seed, where they gamely fell to top-seeded Arizona by only 9 points.

It was a result that proved Weber State was better than the 16-seed it was given, but that’s where in-state games matter. The Wildcats were 0-3 against BYU, Utah State and Utah Valley that season, and a single win in any of those games may have pushed Weber to a better seed.
"
Hmm so instate and RPI do matter! Who would have thought... :wall:

Wildcat_Fan said:

http://www.standard.net/Weber-State/2015/12/10/weber-state-basketball-struggles-in-state-opponents.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and my favorite part:

"After all, the last time the Wildcats lost to Utah Valley they won the conference and went to the NCAA Tournament in 2014 — as a 16-seed, where they gamely fell to top-seeded Arizona by only 9 points.

It was a result that proved Weber State was better than the 16-seed it was given, but that’s where in-state games matter. The Wildcats were 0-3 against BYU, Utah State and Utah Valley that season, and a single win in any of those games may have pushed Weber to a better seed.
"

Here's my favorite part:
Luckily for a program like Weber State, none of these games — except those against Southern Utah, which defeated the Wildcats twice last season — ultimately impact the goal of winning the Big Sky Conference and qualifying for the NCAA Tournament. A lot of basketball remains, including a rematch with highly rated South Dakota State before Big Sky play.

If none of the instate games matter then why does the S. Dakota St. game matter. Why even play any pre-season games. Skip them all and just play your conference games only. No need for the NCAA tournament either, end the season with each conference championship. Everyone is a winner, we all get participation prizes. :blah:

wsucatfan said:
Wildcat_Fan said:

and my favorite part:

"

Here's my favorite part:
Luckily for a program like Weber State, none of these games — except those against Southern Utah, which defeated the Wildcats twice last season — ultimately impact the goal of winning the Big Sky Conference and qualifying for the NCAA Tournament. A lot of basketball remains, including a rematch with highly rated South Dakota State before Big Sky play.

If none of the instate games matter then why does the S. Dakota St. game matter. Why even play any pre-season games. Skip them all and just play your conference games only. No need for the NCAA tournament either, end the season with each conference championship. Everyone is a winner, we all get participation prizes. :blah:
That's the current state of Weber athletics, just do enough to get by. And just getting by is winning a terrible conference, getting a 15 or 16 seed in the NCAA tournament, and not getting too embarrassed in said tournament. Rahe says as much after every non-conference game. But the sad part of that is that Weber isn't even good at just getting by. Rahe's been to two NCAA's. That's less than a quarter of the time.

I've been saying for years. What has Rahe really done?

Rahe has huge advantages over all the other Big Sky schools in facilities, Pay, administrative & community support, airport proximity, school location etc

If we only look at what he has done in the Big Sky like a lot of posters like to point out, I think an argument could be made he has been a disappointment during his tenure at Weber.

I think last time I got a nice tirade of a breakdown by Tal listing all of his big sky accomplishments. As has been pointed out by Sir Velo this week, we're not talking about the same Big Sky as a few years ago, let alone the 90's.

The fact that Rahe has been to the NCAA's twice in this conference as the most highly paid coach in the conference is an indication of how weak the argument is.

I remember Rahe a few years ago was being interviewed by Arky, & he said something arrogant like what we do here, and how we do it here at Weber obviously works.

No Randy it isn't working.

I wonder if he lives in reality. Good hell

WeberSki said:
I've been saying for years. What has Rahe really done?

Rahe has huge advantages over all the other Big Sky schools in facilities, Pay, administrative & community support, airport proximity, school location etc

If we only look at what he has done in the Big Sky like a lot of posters like to point out, I think an argument could be made he has been a disappointment during his tenure at Weber.

I think last time I got a nice tirade of a breakdown by Tal listing all of his big sky accomplishments. As has been pointed out by Sir Velo this week, we're not talking about the same Big Sky as a few years ago, let alone the 90's.

The fact that Rahe has been to the NCAA's twice in this conference as the most highly paid coach in the conference is an indication of how weak the argument is.

I remember Rahe a few years ago was being interviewed by Arky, & he said something arrogant like what we do here, and how we do it here at Weber obviously works.

No Randy it isn't working.

I wonder if he lives in reality. Good hell
I don't think he lives in reality. He does not realize that we have been the more veteran team in almost every game, but we keep hearing that we are losing to good, veteran teams.

I remember his first teams being very disciplined. Remember when Session, Wheelright and even Lillard made a careless turnover? He would come unglued and bench them. Senglin has free reign to play as sloppy as he wants.

Latest posts

Back