• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Recruiting??

One should think straight before you post questionable things that receive push back from some of the rest of us. I made the effort to check the facts with a source that I respect more than your input, Oldrunner. I said that Brett Hein relooked the contracts as of last Sept. 2021!

The problem I see is that your credibility on some posts is lacking and deserves pushback. You question the utility of "harping" about it. I harp on it because your misinformation you post sometimes deserves fact checking. Silence is complicity. I'm glad that others post valid complaints, observations.

It isn't up to you or me thankfully whether Coach Rahe gets extended past 2024, he probably will & retire...he'll be 64 in 2024 I understand. As Dan Aykroyd alluded to a phrase from the TV series 'Dragnet' (more or less) "just the facts..." & then expressing one's opinion suits this forum just fine...not just Oldrunner's posts...that's my opinion. :twocents:

AlumniWSU said:
One should think straight before you post questionable things that receive push back from some of the rest of us. I made the effort to check the facts with a source that I respect more than your input, Oldrunner. I said that Brett Hein relooked the contracts as of last Sept. 2021!

The problem I see is that your credibility on some posts is lacking and deserves pushback. You question the utility of "harping" about it. I harp on it because your misinformation you post sometimes deserves fact checking. Silence is complicity. I'm glad that others post valid complaints, observations.

It isn't up to you or me thankfully whether Coach Rahe gets extended past 2024, he probably will & retire...he'll be 64 in 2024 I understand. As Dan Aykroyd alluded to a phrase from the TV series 'Dragnet' (more or less) "just the facts..." & then expressing one's opinion suits this forum just fine...not just Oldrunner's posts...that's my opinion. :twocents:

That you reference Dan Aykroyd as you expert, tells me everything I need to know. :lol:

I want to clarify my comments on Coach Rahe’s career at Weber State. He’s a good honorable man that has done a tremendous amount for the University. For that exemplary service, the school has compensated him very well for his efforts. My comments were in no way to disparage the man.

Collegiate sports are a business. Players commit to the university and sometimes Coaches make the decision that the players performance doesn’t meet the needs of the program and the player is asked to seek a transfer to find a situation to meet their skill set. It’s a performance based industry! Same with Coaches. My belief and I might be wrong, is that the program is not progressing as it should and that fans are expressing their discontent by not attending games and contributing to the program. Rahe accepted this contract with a full understanding of the expectations at Weber State and with the highest compensation package in the conference became a target. Results have not met expectations for many seasons. The part that I struggle with is it’s basically the same pattern….. short bench all season and the players/team falls apart at the end of the season. Most Coaches would address that trend. They monitor the minutes of the starters and make sure there’s a bench talented enough to play meaningful minutes. Rahe seems stubborn and can’t seem to make the adjustments to perform at a high level the whole season. They make sure that if the Coach has shortcomings in certain areas that they bring in competent assistants to help in those areas. Rahe doesn’t do that…….. he sticks to the same formula and then Coach Speaks you to death on why it didn’t work.

I’m grateful to Coach Rahe for his service to Weber State and the school should definitely honor his contract by paying off the remaining years and bringing in HC that can bring the excitement back to the Dee. Putting butts in seats and winning games will more than pay off the funds needed to pay his remaining two years. Contrary to popular belief, it’s not one huge check, it can get paid off over a two year period. Rahe can still continue to represent Weber as an assistant to the AD.

Tough post to write because I value the man and his contributions, but personally feel that Weber State needs new blood in its Basketball program.

Just checking in after taking a few years off for my health. Is rahe really still the coach? Surprising to me since he hasnt won anything in a long time. I LOVE the guy, but look what happened to abbeglin and cravens. And they both won big time games -in state and nationally.

Welcome back Patten Jr. :) I don't know what to make of recruiting this year. You would think with 6 open spots we would have 1-2 blokes locked up, nada, zip, zilch, zero. Seems like every other Big Sky school has 2-3 new blokes locked up already. Hell even Sac State and Idaho State have good looking transfers added. What is going on at Weber State? There are so many players added to the transfer portal every day. My guess is Coach Rahe is being very patient, but now is when players are signing with teams and I hope we don't left with our 4th and 5th choice options. I'm afraid we will have to settle for some overlooked JC players. I think there is still time, but seems so strange we have not heard a damn thing. I'm sure Coach Rahe is being aggressive. I hope its not the case we are offering players and they are saying no thanks to Weber. Maybe some blokes are still deciding, but seeing all the other big sky schools lock up players has me a little worried we are not landing the guys we are going after. I guess we will see. I wish I still had some eligibility left. I think at this stage I could walk on and start. haha. Kidding. Kind of. Come on Coach Rach. Please don't be a Baker Stain and get some really good blokes to join the team. Old Runner and I believe in you. :) I have faith
:rockon:

oldrunner said:
I kind of like the silence. In years past we would offer someone, it would hit social media, and two days later, half of our competitors would offer the same guy. Add into that, the portal is growing bigger every day and quality players are entering the fray. Also in years past, we would fill up early only to have higher caliber guys knock at our door when we had no grants to offer. It can be a huge mistake to not leave yourself some wiggle room in late spring or early summer.

Here is what I know: We are working the transfer market with due diligence every day, but we are being quite selective. With transfers, the announcement of an offer will happen the same time as the commitment. We are also looking at HS/prep players, but, likewise, are not likely to announce an offer much ahead of a commitment.

We have 6 open spots to fill and I expect 3 to be guard/wing type guys and 3 to be forward/post type guys. I do not expect to have more than 2 or 3 announcements the first week of the signing period. I will be surprised if there are more signed. there is absolutely no rush. My best guess is that Randy already has one or two commitments, but can't talk about them until they are signed. For many reasons, I'm sure he wouldn't want to talk about them.

We fans like to know everything about our teams. As hard as it might seem, we just need to be patient. I don't think our team will be complete until June, maybe later. :coffee:

You mocked Sac St on ISU's board about who we have recruited...allow me to answer you....

1. Hunter Marks, 6'9" 210lbs. averaged 11.7 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 32.5 minutes per game while shooting 56% (72-129) from the field, 43% (20-47) from the 3-point line, and 84% (58-69) from the free throw line.

2. Callum McRae, 7'1" 290lbs. averaged 10.8 points, 7.9 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 30.4 minutes per game. Shot 54% from the field, and finished fourth in the Big West Conference in rebounding.

3. Gianni Hunt, 6'4" 190lbs. Ranked as the nation's No. 43 high school point guard by ESPN, and was a four-star recruit.

4. Akol Mawein, 6'9" 235lbs. Injured almost the entire 21-22 season, ranked the number 5 JC player in the nation in 20-21....

This has all taken place in the last 2 weeks......
What has Rahe been doing? The silence is deafening.....You have a lot of holes to fill....Try spinning this Olds....

sacstateman said:
oldrunner said:
I kind of like the silence. In years past we would offer someone, it would hit social media, and two days later, half of our competitors would offer the same guy. Add into that, the portal is growing bigger every day and quality players are entering the fray. Also in years past, we would fill up early only to have higher caliber guys knock at our door when we had no grants to offer. It can be a huge mistake to not leave yourself some wiggle room in late spring or early summer.

Here is what I know: We are working the transfer market with due diligence every day, but we are being quite selective. With transfers, the announcement of an offer will happen the same time as the commitment. We are also looking at HS/prep players, but, likewise, are not likely to announce an offer much ahead of a commitment.

We have 6 open spots to fill and I expect 3 to be guard/wing type guys and 3 to be forward/post type guys. I do not expect to have more than 2 or 3 announcements the first week of the signing period. I will be surprised if there are more signed. there is absolutely no rush. My best guess is that Randy already has one or two commitments, but can't talk about them until they are signed. For many reasons, I'm sure he wouldn't want to talk about them.

We fans like to know everything about our teams. As hard as it might seem, we just need to be patient. I don't think our team will be complete until June, maybe later. :coffee:

You mocked Sac St on ISU's board about who we have recruited...allow me to answer you....

1. Hunter Marks, 6'9" 210lbs. averaged 11.7 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 32.5 minutes per game while shooting 56% (72-129) from the field, 43% (20-47) from the 3-point line, and 84% (58-69) from the free throw line.

2. Callum McRae, 7'1" 290lbs. averaged 10.8 points, 7.9 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 30.4 minutes per game. Shot 54% from the field, and finished fourth in the Big West Conference in rebounding.

3. Gianni Hunt, 6'4" 190lbs. Ranked as the nation's No. 43 high school point guard by ESPN, and was a four-star recruit.

4. Akol Mawein, 6'9" 235lbs. Injured almost the entire 21-22 season, ranked the number 5 JC player in the nation in 20-21....

What has Rahe been doing? The silence is deafening.....You have a lot of holes to fill....Try spinning this Olds....
I'm sorry that you thought I was mocking Sac St or your new coach. That was not my intention. I've been impressed with your new coach's ability to recruit the portal. So far, I think that Sac and ISU have done a remarkable job finding the right talent in the portal. I think that UM and MSU have done well too. The book is still out on Weber's recruiting. Like I said, it could be summer before we fill up. We have not had announcements yet, but I feel that has very little meaning in today's recruiting scene. :coffee:

sacstateman said:
oldrunner said:

Those are all really solid additions, hell the Big Sky should just give you the trophy now and save all the hassle of the pointless season and Big Sky Tourney. :coffee:

I wonder how excited they are to play in front of dozens of fans in the Hornet Nest? My high school gym is bigger and nicer than the Ball Sac gym. Still an impressive looking group of transfers. I'm sure Weber will add some good players, but its annoying its taking so long.

Thanks for clearing that up Olds....As far as Greatx3's assertion, it's a long season and no games have been played yet....I'm no where close to thinking we have the BSC covered, in fact, I feel like we may be middle of the pack with chances to beat anyone on a given night...and, for wazzuwildcat03, when we have 500 in the Nest, it's much louder than when you have 3000 in the Purple Palace...I've been to the Palace for a BSC tourney....nice building, not so good if it's empty....

:bad: Talking attendance now days or mocking the size of fans showing up is dicey, at least in the BSC. Arguably no member can brag much as far as big crowds the way it looked last season. I think the biggest crowd at the Purple Palace was what, a little over 8K for the BYU game & nearly half of those were Cougar fans in the Ogden area. So any gym, arena, had empty seats to spare. The average attendance at the DEC ended up in the 4K mark, pitiful when you consider nearly 12K capacity! That's the current state of attendance affairs.

The debate & thinking should be on the CAUSE!-CAUSES! And a Wildcat fan may be right in pointing out that a factor is lack of excitement & interest, after several recent seasons of "just enough". The expectation level at least for Weber State basketball success against tough mid or high major opponents has lowered to bottom level...for BSC, It's OK with a top half showing. There's several posts on this forum that back that up...as well as those that blow it off & are in denial. :x Attendance seems to have fallen all around except if you're talking USU / BYU in this state.

Recruiting plays a role in raising expectations IF it follows up with utilizing it to the fullest extent possible for success! Any BSC team should vie to get their best recruits, be it transfer portal now days or rebuilding for the future with freshmen. But whether it's fast & furious or slow & ponderous, it's a roll of the dice. Big Sky basketball does need to toughen up & raise the bar of expectations, whether for 500 or 4000 fans. :coffee:

sacstateman said:
Thanks for clearing that up Olds....As far as Greatx3's assertion, it's a long season and no games have been played yet....I'm no where close to thinking we have the BSC covered, in fact, I feel like we may be middle of the pack with chances to beat anyone on a given night...and, for wazzuwildcat03, when we have 500 in the Nest, it's much louder than when you have 3000 in the Purple Palace...I've been to the Palace for a BSC tourney....nice building, not so good if it's empty....

i can confirm this. ive been to the nest i fink free (3) times, bruv! 500 in the hornets nest which holds 1200 is indeed louder than 3,000 in the dee which would be 25% full and you don't realize one thing about the dee unless you have been, super high roof dampens the sound, similar to old arco arena. you realy need 7k+ for it to be loud. anyone who disagrees is way too used to these small crowds of recent yrs. i can even tell you 1,000 in reid gym at isu destroys the dee.

now that i think of it, the nest is almost identical to swenson post remodel which i think was 15 yrs back. it only holds 1,000 but its really loud in volleyball. nest, reid, swenson are all compact with a low roof like wazzuwildcat's aggie spectrum making it loud.

as far as recruiting goes im curious to see what will happen at sac, who would have predicted what is happening in bozeman? sac has david patrick who has an incredible resume, note his work at uc riverside, you could say the sac of big west.

a few players came to wsu on visits in the past few days from what i could see on twitter. one looks to have been offered but no real details yet.

Sir Velo said:
a few players came to wsu on visits in the past few days from what i could see on twitter. one looks to have been offered but no real details yet.
There have been several visits over the past few weeks and there may have been some commitments as well. Verbal Commits doesn't pick up an offer unless it hits the twitter network. Many players don't have a twitter account and many of those that do, don't document offers and visits. Transfers are even less likely to tweet something out. Coaches certainly don't want to talk about anything related to recruiting and, in fact, there are NCAA rules against it.

Over the last 4 years or so, recruiting has morphed into a completely different animal. Signing day is not what it used to be. Players are finding landing spots late into the summer more often than ever before. There are still a ton of quality players available and will be for a while. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
Sir Velo said:
There have been several visits over the past few weeks and there may have been some commitments as well. Verbal Commits doesn't pick up an offer unless it hits the twitter network. Many players don't have a twitter account and many of those that do, don't document offers and visits. Transfers are even less likely to tweet something out. Coaches certainly don't want to talk about anything related to recruiting and, in fact, there are NCAA rules against it.

Over the last 4 years or so, recruiting has morphed into a completely different animal. Signing day is not what it used to be. Players are finding landing spots late into the summer more often than ever before. There are still a ton of quality players available and will be for a while. :coffee:

Olds will be saying the same thing in August. Bottom line is there’s a lot of players in the portal, but we all know best players go early. Can’t quit laughing about transfers being less likely to have a Twitter account. Going to be a fun summer!

Brick3’s said:
oldrunner said:
Sir Velo said:

Olds will be saying the same thing in August. Bottom line is there’s a lot of players in the portal, but we all know best players go early. Can’t quit laughing about transfers being less likely to have a Twitter account. Going to be a fun summer!
:lol: Come on Brick layer, you can read better than that. :nod: Try again.

Wazzu, forget about high school gyms. Many church gyms in the Ogden area are bigger. I'm not going to argue whether 500 or 3000 is louder in a bigger or smaller facility. At the end of the day, our pathetic 3000 is still 2500 more fans than Sacs amazing 500. Need I say more?

I've been to the Nest once. It was a nice experience. I really liked the Sac fans I talked to. Very knowledgeable fans and great hosts. For Sac, the early returns on their spring recruiting have been really great for them. I hope it helps them graduate past annual cellar dwellers. Yet, recruiting is one thing. Coaching is something else entirely. For Hornet fans, I hope the new Sac coach can do more than merely recruit.

REGARDLESS...no news is never good news. I know there is a lot of talent still available across the country and I agree with Olds, this new world of recruiting could take longer, but it is never good, going into May with 6 or 7 open spots. Coach has some serious work to do. What does he need? YIKES!! A shooter, a guy who can hit threes off the curl or more appropriately can hit a wide-open shot (something the Cats have struggled doing recently). A point guard, a floor general who commands the floor and is confident moving the ball and a couple of bigs. I'm not sold on the stretch 5 in college basketball. Yes, I like seeing a guy who has the ability to hit the three, but personally, I'd rather see a guy who can play with his back to the basket, guard the post, defend, rebound and run the floor well. I think that is the missing link for the Cats: paint presence. Look at Randy's most successful teams and you will see a dominant 5. Finally, I'd love to see another stretch 4 who has bounce (Gideon George anyone??). Here's hoping we hear something soon.

Tal, I think we had more fans at our Country Hills Ward against Forrest Green Ward church basketball games then Sac State has at their games. We had some great battles back in the day. :rockon:

I agree no news is not good news. I heard about the 2 high school kids we have brought in and bringing in next week, but as time goes by the best transfers are getting taken. I trust the coaches, but we should have 1-2 transfers locked up by now. My fear is we have guys we have offered, but they said thanks, but no thanks and we are scrambling to find the 2nd and 3rd option. I hope I'm wrong, but May is almost here and we need 6 more guys added to the roster and as of now we are at 0. :eek:

wazzuwildcat03 said:
I agree no news is not good news. I heard about the 2 high school kids we have brought in and bringing in next week, but as time goes by the best transfers are getting taken. I trust the coaches, but we should have 1-2 transfers locked up by now. My fear is we have guys we have offered, but they said thanks, but no thanks and we are scrambling to find the 2nd and 3rd option. I hope I'm wrong, but May is almost here and we need 6 more guys added to the roster and as of now we are at 0. :eek:

dont worry dame will help, they just say his name. when he was signed by rahe the incoming 2022-23 freshman to be were 4 yrs old. :rofl:

We still don't have any new blokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok I like to give Coach Rahe the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting weird. The summer semester starts on May 10th and you would think if we were going to add some transfers they would want to be here for the summer semester. Let that sink in MAY 10th!!!! That is less than 3 weeks and we have nothing. Not ever a JC player committed. What really is going on? The guy who reports on our recruiting is saying its different this year and just takes longer. I would buy that, but all the other schools are able to get transfers to commit, but not us. So I don't buy that anymore. Something is not right. Has Weber State fallen so far back that we can't get anyone decent to transfer?? Hell ever the Idaho State Potatoes have some good looking players committed.. You know its bad when the Potatoes and Sac State are getting better recruits than us. How is that possible? I'm usually one of the more positive fans on this page with Olds, but this has got me very concerned that we have not seen a single player added. This is the last week of April and we still have 6 open roster spots. :cry: WTF Rahe!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back