• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Recruiting??

wazzuwildcat03

Next week is the first day of the spring signing period and we not heard a peep on the recruiting trail. Usually we hear about certain transfers, jc and high school players being offered etc.. I can't find a single prospect we are looking at at any level. Pretty much the rest of the conference has players locked up but Weber State. Seems very strange. What is going on? We have 6 roster spots that need to be filled. That's almost half the entire roster. Maybe Coach Rahe has some super secret players nobody knows about but with all the social media the fact that we have not heard of a single recruit has me a little concerned. 🤔 hmmm. Maybe I worry too much but Rahe has 2 years left on his contract. I really hope he turns things around. I hate not being on top of the Big Sky where we should be. There is no excuse. I don't want to become Idaho State. 😫 come on Weber please don't Baker anymore.

I kind of like the silence. In years past we would offer someone, it would hit social media, and two days later, half of our competitors would offer the same guy. Add into that, the portal is growing bigger every day and quality players are entering the fray. Also in years past, we would fill up early only to have higher caliber guys knock at our door when we had no grants to offer. It can be a huge mistake to not leave yourself some wiggle room in late spring or early summer.

Here is what I know: We are working the transfer market with due diligence every day, but we are being quite selective. With transfers, the announcement of an offer will happen the same time as the commitment. We are also looking at HS/prep players, but, likewise, are not likely to announce an offer much ahead of a commitment.

We have 6 open spots to fill and I expect 3 to be guard/wing type guys and 3 to be forward/post type guys. I do not expect to have more than 2 or 3 announcements the first week of the signing period. I will be surprised if there are more signed. there is absolutely no rush. My best guess is that Randy already has one or two commitments, but can't talk about them until they are signed. For many reasons, I'm sure he wouldn't want to talk about them.

We fans like to know everything about our teams. As hard as it might seem, we just need to be patient. I don't think our team will be complete until June, maybe later. :coffee:

wazzuwildcat03 said:
Next week is the first day of the spring signing period and we not heard a peep on the recruiting trail. Usually we hear about certain transfers, jc and high school players being offered etc.. I can't find a single prospect we are looking at at any level. Pretty much the rest of the conference has players locked up but Weber State. Seems very strange. What is going on? We have 6 roster spots that need to be filled. That's almost half the entire roster. Maybe Coach Rahe has some super secret players nobody knows about but with all the social media the fact that we have not heard of a single recruit has me a little concerned. 🤔 hmmm. Maybe I worry too much but Rahe has 2 years left on his contract. I really hope he turns things around. I hate not being on top of the Big Sky where we should be. There is no excuse. I don't want to become Idaho State. 😫 come on Weber please don't Baker anymore.

i dont expect the team to baker next yr...

olds,
will rahe be hiring 2 fresh and 4 transfers? thats a lot of roster to fill!

I expect something like that, but I don't really know anything. This I do know, over the next month there is likely to be only one coach on campus at any one time. There will be a lot of frequent flier miles adding up. As far as how many freshmen there will be in this class, it's a total unknown and probably depends on who we can get in the transfer market. I don't expect 0, but I don't expect 3 either. Until the dust settles this summer, our plans could change several times. I think that is the new nature of recruiting. The early signing period is becoming less important.

We shouldn't forget that Stan Rose and Rico Washington came to us in the later part of summer. That was back when the transfer market was almost an afterthought. :coffee:

i fink 4 transfers and 2 year-1's because we can't afford to take on 4 young lads and we've only got 2 seasons left in the rahe era unless he gets extended by the new head master that took over for bovee.

Sir Velo said:
i fink 4 transfers and 2 year-1's because we can't afford to take on 4 young lads and we've only got 2 seasons left in the rahe era unless he gets extended by the new head master that took over for bovee.
I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that Randy's contract only has two years left on it. Of course, he could take another job or be fired and have his contract bought out. That could happen any time. As I remember it, his contract automatically extends to 5 years as long as his goals are being met and there is not cause for firing. I think he will always have 5 years left on his contract unless things went terribly wrong.

I agree that we don't want to end up with 4 or more freshmen. For now, we only have one senior, Porter. I could see us bringing in a couple of grad transfers, a JC, and a few multiple year transfers. Any freshman we bring in will need to have really good potential. We have a good core of players already. We just need a few key players. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
Sir Velo said:
I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that Randy's contract only has two years left on it. Of course, he could take another job or be fired and have his contract bought out. That could happen any time. As I remember it, his contract automatically extends to 5 years as long as his goals are being met and there is not cause for firing. I think he will always have 5 years left on his contract unless things went terribly wrong.

I agree that we don't want to end up with 4 or more freshmen. For now, we only have one senior, Porter. I could see us bringing in a couple of grad transfers, a JC, and a few multiple year transfers. Any freshman we bring in will need to have really good potential. We have a good core of players already. We just need a few key players. :coffee:

Oh I hope you are not right.

Extend five more years (or three if you are including last two years)for not winning a Big Sky Title in eight years? Where do I sign up for a contract like this? Basically if you don’t have any NCAA violations, legal issues, and have a run of the mill performance in a conference with the best facilities, you can stay on as long as you want? He’d be 65 or somewhere about? Hell, I’d read the newspaper on the bench and play video games with that type of security.

I’m already done going to games until there is a new staff in place. I think I’ve only been to one a year for last 2-3 seasons…and that was more to hang out in the Purple Palace than to watch the game.

Lord save us!

Chex said:
oldrunner said:
Sir Velo said:

Hell, I’d read the newspaper on the bench and play video games with that type of security.
Well, I'm certainly glad you are not our coach. :lol:

As I recall it, the contract had a base salary with performance incentives built in. The better the team does, the better he does. I think he has plenty of motivation to do well. He can be fired for cause at any time, or they could fire him without cause at any time and buy him out, or he could leave at any time and the school can be bought out by his new school, or he could retire with no buy out. I don't see any of that happening in the near future.

I understand your frustration. As fans, we want a championship every year. In fact, the fans of every program in the world want the same thing. We have a rich tradition at WSU. We can remember all of the good times, and we've had plenty, but we forget some of the truly dark days. We have a good coach and program. Our coaches want to do better, our players want to do better, and we fans want the same things. I sure would like to see things get better, but if they do or don't, I am still a WSU sports fan. I choose to remain positive. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
Sir Velo said:

Automatically extends? Lord help me! That’s not right is it? It’s like Ground Hog day and we just keep reliving each season……. The late season swoon? Who gets that kind of contract?

oldrunner said:
Sir Velo said:

Im usually very optimistic about WSU sports but im just not seeing where "We have a good core of players already" Seriously who? we have Dillon Jones and thats really about all. Randy and Co better get their shit together and bring in some serious players so we can at least enjoy the season until the annual late season melt down.

x3;

The core I speak of would do well in the BSC even if we signed nobody at all.

Starters:
Segu - PG
Chris - SG
Dyson - SF
Dillon - PF
Alex - C

Bench:
KJ - Guard
Z - G/F
Walk ons - ?

Problems are really all about finding a true PG, a dynamic C/PF, and depth at all positions. If we get those things in this recruiting class, we are competing for a championship once again. If you are looking for sure bets, there are none. I'm hopeful that we can find a way through those late season swoons. Depth may be the key to that. :coffee:

Ok Olds, you've got my curiosity piqued.....Who is this guard you speak of with the first name "Chris"? I don't find a Chris on your 21-22 roster.....

sacstateman said:
Ok Olds, you've got my curiosity piqued.....Who is this guard you speak of with the first name "Chris"? I don't find a Chris on your 21-22 roster.....
Chris Dockery, you can pencil him in as a starter. He is 6'6'' and can play 1, 2, or 3. He probably won't play much at the point his freshman year, but he has the potential to end up there. He is one of the most talented players we have signed in recent history. He was offered by San Diego State and Nevada, and got looks from some P5 programs. We were fortunate to get him. Probably had something to do with his ability to come in here and play right away. I understand that he really liked the place on his visit. I'm looking forward to seeing him in person.

oldrunner said:
x3;

Starters:
Segu - PG
Chris - SG
Dyson - SF
Dillon - PF
Alex - C

Bench:
KJ - Guard
Z - G/F
Walk ons - ?

Problems are really all about finding a true PG, a dynamic C/PF, and depth at all positions. If we get those things in this recruiting class, we are competing for a championship once again. If you are looking for sure bets, there are none. I'm hopeful that we can find a way through those late season swoons. Depth may be the key to that. :coffee:

I guess Im just not nearly as optimistic as you are about this "starting lineup" I look at it and think they will be lucky to finish in the top 8. I mean hell with Kobe, JJ, and Dontay they barely finished 4th. No disrespect to any of the kids on the team but our current lineup doesnt exactly keep opposing coaches up at night. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
x3;

Starters:
Segu - PG
Chris - SG
Dyson - SF
Dillon - PF
Alex - C

Bench:
KJ - Guard
Z - G/F
Walk ons - ?

Olds, they need to put you on the payroll. You do a better job hyping Weber State Basketball than the PR team. Weber coaches are working hard to make some splash transfer signings, but having some difficulties. Carlson left last year because he thought the coaching staff was weak and treated players poorly and contrary to your comments gave the team one day notice that he signed in Europe and was leaving the program. This was during the season. Other transfer players are doing their research and Weber isn’t a preferred destination. I think Weber is starting to lose the Dame aura and signing top level transfers is going to be tough. I divide next year into two seasons, when it counts and when it doesn’t! Weber Basketball will be the talk of the town when it doesn’t and completely invisible when it does. All I know is I need the name of Rahe’s agent because if his deal renews automatically then they negotiated one helluva deal.

There was a time that we all were concerned that a big school would come and take Rahe from Weber. I think we now know that this is probably his last stop and he’s not getting a ton of inquiries from other schools. I can’t blame him for taking the deal, but this is not a program on the rise. In fact it’s in decline. Rahe has a great resume against non D1 programs, but is there ever going to be a time that NAIA wins isn’t enough for the school leadership? I know we can’t buy Rahe out, but Weber State hoops desperately needs a change. I think you have to admit that the lack of energy and empty seats in the Dee is a sign of things to come! I hope I’m wrong! But I don’t think so!

Oldrunner
I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that Randy's contract only has two years left on it. As I remember it, his contract automatically extends to 5 years as long as his goals are being met and there is not cause for firing. I think he will always have 5 years left on his contract unless things went terribly wrong.

:lol:

According to & thanks to Brett Hein, sports editor @ The Standard Examiner, who I requested his June 7, 2016 article on Coach Randy Rahe's 8-year HC contract extension: ( per April 12, 2022 email) "To answer your question...I just reviewed the contract signed in 2016 and it goes thru the 2023-24 season. There are two seasons left on it. There is no section or language anywhere about automatic extensions...I requested copies of contracts in Sept. 2021...and the contract in effect for him...there was no new contract signed or no addendums added...such a clause...So I'd guess the automatic renewal thing is pure speculation/Imagination."

When in doubt go to the news source. I'd add that my guess is the automatic renewal thing is Oldrunner's wishful thinking & we all know that he is a strong fan of Coach Rahe.

Brick3's, I feel your latest post is right on! :+1: But I'll add my hope that Oldrunner never gets on staff or has influence on Coach's contracts...I fear they would all get lifetime careers at WSU as long as they don't break any rules...& wins/losses would not play a part in it. :coffee:

Bricks;

Here is where you are correct: Attendance was down and everyone is concerned about it. I'm not sure what all the reasons behind it are, but it has been an issue across the state and nation. We need to get more butts in seats, plain and simple.

Here is where you are not correct; Cody didn't leave because he was upset about anything. His playing time decreased because Donte and Alex were playing better than he was. Even with that, he was still not disgruntled. He was offered a pro contract last year and turned it down. He thought he could do better by coming back for another year and getting a better contract. When he got the same offer again, he talked it over with Randy and was encouraged to take the offer. Both thought that it wasn't going to change and he might not get the offer if he waited. It's true that players may not be happy with their PT, but all of the guys I have talked to after they have decided to transfer were not upset with coaching or the school. Many of them stuck around to practice with the team and coaches until they found a landing spot. Many of them have discussed their offers with our coaches before deciding where to go. As far as recruiting goes, it's a different dynamic this year than the last two years. With COVID protocols in place, players were not allowed to visit, coaches were restricted from travel, and everything was being done over the phone. This year, home visits and player campus visits are back in play. Most of the better transfers are visiting 2 or more places before making up their minds. All of that travel and visiting takes more time. The other dynamic is that players are still poring into the portal and will be for the next few months. Across the country, everyone's recruiting is going about the same as ours. This year's process will take longer for every team out there.

I understand all the frustration. We have high expectations for our basketball program at WSU. We have seen some really good years. We have seen more good years than bad. This past season was not a bad season, it just wasn't as good as any of us would have liked. As much as we are frustrated, the coaches and players are even more so. :wall:

Oldrunner
I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that Randy's contract only has two years left on it. As I remember it, his contract automatically extends to 5 years as long as his goals are being met and there is not cause for firing. I think he will always have 5 years left on his contract unless things went terribly wrong.

:lol:

According to & thanks to Brett Hein, sports editor @ The Standard Examiner, who I requested his June 7, 2016 article on Coach Randy Rahe's 8-year HC contract extension: ( per April 12, 2022 email) "To answer your question...I just reviewed the contract signed in 2016 and it goes thru the 2023-24 season. There are two seasons left on it. There is no section or language anywhere about automatic extensions...I requested copies of contracts in Sept. 2021...and the contract in effect for him...there was no new contract signed or no addendums added...such a clause...So I'd guess the automatic renewal thing is pure speculation/Imagination."

When in doubt go to the news source. I'd add that my guess is the automatic renewal thing is Oldrunner's wishful thinking & we all know that he is a strong fan of Coach Rahe.

Brick3's, I feel your latest post is right on! :+1: But I'll add my hope that Oldrunner never gets on staff or has influence on Coach's contracts...I fear they would all get lifetime careers at WSU as long as they don't break any rules...& wins/losses would not play a part in it. :coffee:
[/quote]
I see that my memory of it was not correct or at least that was what Brett found to be true in 2016. I guess, what we don't know is if any extensions have been added since that time. I'm fairly confident that coach Rahe will be with us as long as he wants, unless there is some sort of catastrophic breach. What I don't get is the utility of continually harping on it. There are certainly other issues that a healthy discussion can have a positive effect on. :coffee:

Latest posts

Back