• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Best Logo in the Big Sky

This place has turned very surreal. Credit to our new member from DC for creating some really strange threads.

jjjj said:
BearInDC said:
jjjj said:
If I had a time machine, I agree that it should have been named NCU, but I would be opposed to changing the name now. I personally like being seen as kind of a generic guy who went to (what is perceived as) a generic university. Don't get me wrong, I think UNC has lots of character and is a great school, I just like it when other people underestimate it.

Who doesn't love going to a job interview and being "underestimated"?

If you want to get on your knees and beg for a job from someone who is so pretentious they judge you based on the school you went to instead of the impression you make in the interview, your past work accomplishments, your academic credentials and the way you carry yourself, then have at it--sounds like a great way to go through life. It's not too late for you to go to CU to get another degree if that is your concern. I know plenty of people who have done extremely well and they graduated from non-prestigious universities.

Unless you are older than I guess you are, when you applied to the University in Greeley, I bet it was called UNC and I bet its mascot was the Bears.

Interviewer: So what school did you go to.
Interviewee: I went to the Univeristy of Phoenix online.
Interviewer: Well, that's great, it doesn't matter because I am going to now give you a fair and balanced evaluation of how I think you will fit into our organization based on everything other than the school you went to.

Went no interview ever...

It very much matters just the name alone of what school you went to... Obviously the more prestigious the school the better you are looked at right off the bat. Is it fair? No. Is it reality? Yes.

No
Godeev said:
jjjj said:
BearInDC said:
jjjj said:
If I had a time machine, I agree that it should have been named NCU, but I would be opposed to changing the name now. I personally like being seen as kind of a generic guy who went to (what is perceived as) a generic university. Don't get me wrong, I think UNC has lots of character and is a great school, I just like it when other people underestimate it.

Who doesn't love going to a job interview and being "underestimated"?

If you want to get on your knees and beg for a job from someone who is so pretentious they judge you based on the school you went to instead of the impression you make in the interview, your past work accomplishments, your academic credentials and the way you carry yourself, then have at it--sounds like a great way to go through life. It's not too late for you to go to CU to get another degree if that is your concern. I know plenty of people who have done extremely well and they graduated from non-prestigious universities.

Unless you are older than I guess you are, when you applied to the University in Greeley, I bet it was called UNC and I bet its mascot was the Bears.

Interviewer: So what school did you go to.
Interviewee: I went to the Univeristy of Phoenix online.
Interviewer: Well, that's great, it doesn't matter because I am going to now give you a fair and balanced evaluation of how I think you will fit into our organization based on everything other than the school you went to.

Went no interview ever...

It very much matters just the name alone of what school you went to... Obviously the more prestigious the school the better you are looked at right off the bat. Is it fair? No. Is it reality? Yes.

I'm sure it does matter to a lot of employers but they aren't employers I would want to work for and it seems ridiculous for someone who graduated from UNC to all of the sudden lament the fact that it isn't a prestigious University. You have to create your own opportunities, not go around apologizing about where you got your degree from. If you are waiting for someone to hand success to you--then you better be prepared to wait for a long time. This must be how you picture interviews to go:

Interviewer: mmmmm yes, I see here that UNC doesn't even have a crew team [snickers].
Other interviewer: What? no crew team? Does that mean UNC doesn't have a fieldhouse? Where do you park your yachts?
UNC Grad: Well, my cousin has a yacht, and I've always been a big fan of crew [nervously laughs].
Interviewer: Yes, yes. Well let's move on to your credentials. How many millions did your Dad donate to University?
UNC Grad: He didn't donate any because my family was on a budget. ummm But he always wanted to! [another nervous laugh].
Other interviewer: Well, thanks for coming in but we are looking for someone who is more, shall we say, qualified.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up... I think you hit the nail right on the head. You do realize with such a spot on rendition of events, this does nothing for your argument.

I think the point that was trying to be made is that maybe for some to say that you went to the University of Northern Colorado, the response might be: is that an online school? Sort of like saying: I went to Capella University of Southern College (I just made that up.)

If UNC was well managed and lead, there would be no question where, who, and how prestigious UNC is because at this point in the game it should be as well known as many other schools that have had the same transition to D-1 as they have had but are a great deal more well known by now. I think it is a valid point. I also think you make a valid point. But, if there were five applicants in an interview process, sight unseen and one went to Harvard, one went to Syracuse, one went to UNC, one went to University of Phoenix online, and one went to the Underwater Academy for Mimes Community Univerity of lower Marion (I also made that up)( and I spelled "University" wrong on purpose), I think there would be somewhat of a pecking order as to who you would want first dibs at if only given the opportunity to interview one or two of the applicants. I am sure for the sake of your argument, you would pick the latter...

Godeev said:
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up... I think you hit the nail right on the head. You do realize with such a spot on rendition of events, this does nothing for your argument.

I think the point that was trying to be made is that maybe for some to say that you went to the University of Northern Colorado, the response might be: is that an online school? Sort of like saying: I went to Capella University of Southern College (I just made that up.)

If UNC was well managed and lead, there would be no question where, who, and how prestigious UNC is because at this point in the game it should be as well known as many other schools that have had the same transition to D-1 as they have had but are a great deal more well known by now. I think it is a valid point. I also think you make a valid point. But, if there were five applicants in an interview process, sight unseen and one went to Harvard, one went to Syracuse, one went to UNC, one went to University of Phoenix online, and one went to the Underwater Waterbasket Academy for Mimes Community Univerity of lower Marion (I also made that up)( and I spelt "University" wrong on purpose), I think there would be somewhat of a pecking order as to who you would want first dibs at if only given the opportunity to interview one or two of the applicants. I am sure for the sake of your argument, you would pick the latter...

We are on the same page. It's a page that apparently threatens our elders immensely: We want to better future students, past students, and current students....of OUR school. How crazy we are!

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down.

We just got a new high school principal at our local school in Arizona. I had an opportunity to meet him and as the discussion continued he started discussing his education and at one point he said "I went to a really small school in Colorado, you probably never heard of it, The University of Northern Colorado." I said "Never heard of it? My son goes there and we were thinking of moving there." This grown man was so excited that we knew the school and the area. His pride in the school and area was very apparent. At the time we (my wife and I) only went to the school for one visit and were there for about 72 hours. He ended the conversation with a head nod, a huge grin, and said as we were walking away "Enjoy the smell." I figured it was some sort of "Roll Tide" or "Bear Down" comment, so I just smiled and head nodded back... Until our second visit... Good lord. Suffice to say... We may not be moving to Greeley after all... I hear Loveland or Fort Collins are also nice.

Godeev said:
We just got a new high school principal at our local school in Arizona. I had an opportunity to meet him and as the discussion continued he started discussing his education and at one point he said "I went to a really small school in Colorado, you probably never heard of it, The University of Northern Colorado." I said "Never heard of it? My son goes there and we were thinking of moving there." This grown man was so excited that we knew the school and the area. His pride in the school and area was very apparent. At the time we (my wife and I) only went to the school for one visit and were there for about 72 hours. He ended the conversation with a head nod, a huge grin, and said as we were walking away "Enjoy the smell." I figured it was some sort of "Roll Tide" or "Bear Down" comment, so I just smiled and head nodded back... Until our second visit... Good lord. Suffice to say... We may not be moving to Greeley after all... I hear Loveland or Fort Collins are also nice.

I started at UNC, transferred to CSU, transferred to CU, then transferred back to UNC.

Human relationships are what life is about.

To be social is to be forgiving.

Some of my best friends are alums of UNC and I wouldn't trade them for all the Ivy League prestige in the world.

All that said, let's make UNC the best it can be!

Godeev said:

There are some really nice areas around Greeley that I would consider. Around the Cranford area, and around the university, Glenmere Park, etc. Very cool old houses, and downtown is slowly growing. Greeley's reputation doesn't deserve all its bad rap.

Beardown said:
There are some really nice areas around Greeley that I would consider. Around the Cranford area, and around the university, Glenmere Park, etc. Very cool old houses, and downtown is slowly growing. Greeley's reputation doesn't deserve all its bad rap.

My job during freshman year was a pizza delivery driver. Knowing the students' tips would be less stellar, I chose to work on the westwardly expanding suburban part of Greeley. I saw "the other side" of Greeley, some nice places, where the doctors, etc. live. And last time I was there, the western expansion has continued towards I-25. I imagine Windsor's small-town charm has been completely glutted by cookie-cutter McMansions.

BearInDC said:
Beardown said:

My job during freshman year was a pizza delivery driver. Knowing the students' tips would be less stellar, I chose to work on the westwardly expanding suburban part of Greeley. I saw "the other side" of Greeley, some nice places, where the doctors, etc. live. And last time I was there, the western expansion has continued towards I-25. I imagine Windsor's small-town charm has been completely glutted by cookie-cutter McMansions.

I'll be honest, if I were ever to move back to Greeley I would like to find a nice single family home in west Greeley with a view of the distant mountains.

I have been in Greeley for quite awhile and has turned out to be really a great place in spite of some peoples ill conceived thoughts. Granted there are a few days (And I mean only a few) that an agricultural smell arises but you know what it is no worse than some big city smells I have encountered. West Greeley is really nice and Downtown is starting to be a fun place to go on the weekends especially during the summer ! Some great restaurants and the Moxie Theater for Music and the Friday Fests and The Blues fest and....People like to pick on Greeley for some reason and that's ok ! A lot of friendly people make up for what it seems to lack !

...and, I would like to add, "Portland State has the best logo"? You're kidding, right? Their logo looks like a motorcycle helmet with horns.

Ursa Major said:
...and, I would like to add, "Portland State has the best logo"? You're kidding, right? Their logo looks like a motorcycle helmet with horns.

Wait... They are not the Portland State "Horned Motorcycle Helmets?" And here I thought all this time....

Ursa Major said:
I say unless we change our mascot to the "Griz", we need to find something closer to a Black bear.

MU's the Grizzlies, so Griz is problematic.

But in line with my comment about at least merely altering the type of bear into something less generic, "Black Bears" would be a move in the right direction. Of course these days, it may be deemed offensive.

Interesting facts:

Black bears are highly dexterous, being capable of opening screw-top jars. They also have great physical strength. Even bear cubs have been known to turn over flat-shaped rocks weighing 325 pounds by flipping them over with a single foreleg. They can run 30 mph.

The majority of the black bear's animal diet consists of insects.

BearInDC said:
Ursa Major said:
I say unless we change our mascot to the "Griz", we need to find something closer to a Black bear.

But in line with my comment about at least merely altering the type of bear into something less generic, "Black Bears" would be a move in the right direction. Of course these days, it may be deemed offensive.

Interesting facts:

Black bears are highly dexterous, being capable of opening screw-top jars. They also have great physical strength. Even bear cubs have been known to turn over flat-shaped rocks weighing 325 pounds by flipping them over with a single foreleg. They can run 30 mph.

I have come across this in my research. I thought it might help with the process...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I like the cinnamon bears option the best...

Godeev said:
BearInDC said:
Ursa Major said:

Interesting facts:

I have come across this in my research. I thought it might help with the process...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I like the cinnamon bears option the best...

Although, I am also open to the Giant Panda Bears or brining back the short faced bear (They are on the extinct list.)

Ursa Major said:
The Cave Bears!!

Nice sound. And unique. The visual/marketing doesn't need to be literal -- no cave needed, just a bear. :clap:

Another option might be a Native American word for bears in Colorado.

Latest posts

Back