• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Best Logo in the Big Sky

BearInDC

OK. No doubt there will be major backlash from this comment, but it's a public forum for opinions to be shared:

I love UNC. I wish we weren't the bears though. It's generic. I'd rather be the Tar Heels or the Terrapins or anything that speaks to individuality.

Why can't we change the name to Greeley College or something else? Why can't we change our mascot to something 500 other schools don't share? I'd settle for (Something) Bears: Orange Bears, Green Bears, Chartreuse Bears, Angry Gummy Bears. Why is our mascot jumping out with claws and baring fangs?

My vote for best logo is the Portland State Vikings.

I think at the end of the day the alumni en masse could make helpful changes to UNC that benefit us all. This is merely a call to action.

WTF !! Greeley College? Angry Gummy Bears? Getting rid of A Bear mascot ? What the hell is wrong with you ? For the record, I believe there is already a survey happening regarding changing of the logo design !

beardevil39 said:
WTF !! Greeley College? Angry Gummy Bears? Getting rid of A Bear mascot ? What the hell is wrong with you ? For the record, I believe there is already a survey happening regarding changing of the logo design !

No one predicted this backlash.

Gummy Bears was a joke, and jokes are lost on the humorless. Why can't you admit that Bears is a trite mascot? I'm sure there are at least 100 other colleges called the Bears.

The point is making UNC into a national school instead of merely #7 in the state of Colorado's pecking order. Look at schools like TCU and Boise State rising to become national programs.

Our acronym is UNC, already taken by a national program.

BearInDC said:
OK. No doubt there will be major backlash from this comment, but it's a public forum for opinions to be shared:

I love UNC. I wish we weren't the bears though. It's generic. I'd rather be the Tar Heels or the Terrapins or anything that speaks to individuality. According to the dean herself, geographically named schools are looked down upon, as is presumably *Northern* Colorado. Are your employment oppurtunities maximized by going to Vanderbilt or Eastern Tennessee State?

Why can't we change the name to Greeley College or something else? Why can't we change our mascot to something 500 other schools don't share? I'd settle for (Color) Bears: Orange Bears, Green Bears, Chartreuse Bears, Angry Gummy Bears. Why is our mascot jumping out with claws and baring fangs?

My vote for best logo is the Portland State Vikings.

I think at the end of the day the alumni en masse could make helpful changes to UNC that benefit us all. This is merely a call to action.

I'll just let Bill Cosby say it.
http://youtu.be/sw6ndZNLYUA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BearInDC said:
beardevil39 said:

No one predicted this backlash.

Gummy Bears was a joke, and jokes are lost on the humorless. Why can't you admit that Bears is a trite mascot? I'm sure there are at least 100 other colleges called the Bears.

The point is making UNC into a national school instead of merely #7 in the state of Colorado's pecking order. Look at schools like TCU and Boise State rising to become national programs.

Our acronym is UNC, already taken but a much superior program.

Put down your "WTF" and start the dialogue. When our own dean is saying we're stigmatized maybe we are. Maybe you're raking in the dough, but I'd like to say where I went and not be presumed from Chapel Hill.

Backlash ?? You have not seen anything. I am one of the nicer people on here. And freaking humorous ! lol
If you want to un-stigmatize us and put our best foot forward, I suggest you open your wallet if you have not already. TCU is a private institution with gozillions of cash and BSU also grew with an influx of cash. I knew your comments were tongue in cheek and that's why I responded the way I did. I for one don't believe in changing our mascot . Thinking the Bears is a trite mascot is in your own mind, not mine !! And which Dean are you speaking of ? And I am not raking in the dough and I also do not have a problem with where I went to school. Maybe its an east coast thing. Like I said, check out the survey about the UNC logo. I Can't remember but I thought it was on the alumni site. :D

I do not want to change our school name. There are other schools (big ones) with similar initials. University of Illinois, Indiana University, University of Iowa. None of them are changing their names because there are 2 U of I's and one IU. I live on the east where there are quite a few North Carolina grads and when we talk I either say Northern Colorado or My UNC.

Northern Colorado is just fine and the Tar Heels can suck it.

I would not be overly upset about a name change but what would we change it to? The Cows? What else represents Northern Colorado and Greeley? On 2nd thought, the Bears is just fine.

Coming from Arizona with NAU. I would have assumed the University would have followed suit with many of the "Northern" universities and been called Northern Colorado University or NCU.

Just wanted to know what others' views were regarding "Bears", "Northern Colorado" and "UNC". And the cartoonish, rabid, fang-bearing bear logo. Apparently everyone here is elated with these.

The 7 most used names of four-year college teams per Wiki: Eagles (76), Tigers (46), Bulldogs (39), Panthers (33), Knights (32), Lions (32), Bears (30). Let's not worry about JUCO's, HS's, etc.

Here are some more colorful options: The Crimson Tide; Hustlin' Quakers; Fighting Quakers; Gila Monsters; Boilermakers; Cornhuskers; Fighting Blue Hens; Mastadons; the Puerto Rico Tarzans; Scarlet Raptors; Hardrockers; Horned Frogs; Dust Devils; Demon Deacons; Wombats; Marauders; Missionaries / Shockers (points for double entendres).

There aren't any bears in Greeley (nor Scarlet Raptors in Camden, NJ; nor Tarzans in Puerto Rico). And Colorado State is north of Greeley and more northern Colorado than UNC. So having to literally tie the name to something local is not necessary. That said, it's possible: After all, there's more to Greeley than cows, an occasional nose-burning stench and abominable football...right?

Greeley was originally Union Colony -- Union Colony, there's a name right there. Greeley's where two rivers meet -- Two Rivers. Horace Greeley coined the phrase "go west, young man" -- The Go West'ers. Cyclones, Chinooks, etc. These are off the top of my head. The point is exploring alternatives. The problem is Greeley is tradition-bound, hence the recent succession movement.

Part of raising $ for a program is selling merchandise to students, alumni and others. Bottom line: A more colorful, unique nickname would sell more. I have one cartoonish, rabid bear, bearing it's open mouth and clawing at the world, that's enough.

BearInDC, are you a lawyer? Before I disagree with you I want to know what I am up against :lol:

Let's see, Greeley, where cows become food. If we fix our suck-ass football team people will buy UNC Bears stuff. Also, I graduated from UNC and went to Bears game. I am not sure I would relate to it as much if people were going to Nottingham cheering on the Centennial University Prairie Dogs.

I will say he is right about one thing. I went to the university book store with the intention of spending entirely too much money on schools swag for all of the friends and family and left with only a few t-shirts and a sweatshirt because the gear was pretty lame. All of their hats have a sliding clip thing in the back instead of the normal snap back. The gear lacks a great deal of imagination, creativity, or coolness (if that's even a word.) When I went to the University of Arizona to visit my other kid, the place had great stuff and we damn near went bankrupt buying all of the stuff they were selling. I think a little creativity and the money would roll in a little easier...

But I am digging that chomp shirt they gave out at one of the games... That is now my go to game day shirt...

We went back to Colorado the Summer after the men's basketball team won the BigSky and went to the Dance. We visited the UNC campus (as we always do when we come back to Colorado) and I was so disappointed that they didn't have any Big Sky Champions gear at all. I was really looking forward to getting that.

Granted, we still dropped a fortune on t-shirts, golf shirts and other UNC swag.

If I had a time machine, I agree that it should have been named NCU, but I would be opposed to changing the name now. I personally like being seen as kind of a generic guy who went to (what is perceived as) a generic university. Don't get me wrong, I think UNC has lots of character and is a great school, I just like it when other people underestimate it.

Brian said:
We went back to Colorado the Summer after the men's basketball team won the BigSky and went to the Dance. We visited the UNC campus (as we always do when we come back to Colorado) and I was so disappointed that they didn't have any Big Sky Champions gear at all. I was really looking forward to getting that.

Granted, we still dropped a fortune on t-shirts, golf shirts and other UNC swag.
This is kind of what I have been preaching all along. We need major changes in every department from advertising and marketing to funding to better leadership across the board ! Some of you may not like it but a winning "football" team will cure a lot of problems ! Brian, can we move this silly thread out of Basketball ?

Brian said:

Did we at least put up a banner?

BearInDC said:
Brian said:

Did we at least put up a banner?

Yes, there are Big Sky championship banners in Butler.

beardevil39 said:
Brian said:

This is kind of what I have been preaching all along. We need major changes in every department from advertising and marketing to funding to better leadership across the board ! Some of you may not like it but a winning "football" team will cure a lot of problems ! Brian, can we move this silly thread out of Basketball ?

It's out of basketball (sort of). I moved it to athletics but left the shadow in basketball so people knew it moved but I guess that didn't work.

Latest posts

Back