• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Best Logo in the Big Sky

I came across this today... Wow that logo looks a bit familiar...

LOL, that logo looks like the bear is on it's hind legs in the midst of getting shot.

Ours is more of a 'coming at you' look.

jjjj said:
If I had a time machine, I agree that it should have been named NCU, but I would be opposed to changing the name now. I personally like being seen as kind of a generic guy who went to (what is perceived as) a generic university. Don't get me wrong, I think UNC has lots of character and is a great school, I just like it when other people underestimate it.

Who doesn't love going to a job interview and being "underestimated"?

Brian said:
LOL, that logo looks like the bear is on it's hind legs in the midst of getting shot.

Assuming begrudgingly we have to keep being the generic Bears, maybe we could at least go the silhouette route for the logo. Take a look at Wyoming's logo for instance.

BearInDC said:
Brian said:

Assuming begrudgingly we have to keep being the generic Bears, maybe we could at least go the silhouette route for the logo. Take a look at Wyoming's logo for instance.

We kind of have one of those:

http://www.unco.edu/universityrelations/assets/images/logos2010/gif/blue/unc_logo_bear_unc.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Backlash ?? You have not seen anything. I am one of the nicer people on here. And freaking humorous ! lol
If you want to un-stigmatize us and put our best foot forward, I suggest you open your wallet if you have not already. TCU is a private institution with gozillions of cash and BSU also grew with an influx of cash. I knew your comments were tongue in cheek and that's why I responded the way I did. I for one don't believe in changing our mascot . Thinking the Bears is a trite mascot is in your own mind, not mine !! And which Dean are you speaking of ? And I am not raking in the dough and I also do not have a problem with where I went to school. Maybe its an east coast thing. Like I said, check out the survey about the UNC logo. I Can't remember but I thought it was on the alumni site. :D[/quote]

I've given my share, have you?

Surveying college kids who are more focused on getting wasted doesn't mean anything.

Yes, UNC is not private, but as a public U it's alumni base is huge and with a few right maneuvers can tap into that base.

In the words of the immortal Bob Marley "emancipate yourself from mental slavery", and join the rest of us in trying to better our school.

BearInDC said:
Backlash ?? You have not seen anything. I am one of the nicer people on here. And freaking humorous ! lol
If you want to un-stigmatize us and put our best foot forward, I suggest you open your wallet if you have not already. TCU is a private institution with gozillions of cash and BSU also grew with an influx of cash. I knew your comments were tongue in cheek and that's why I responded the way I did. I for one don't believe in changing our mascot . Thinking the Bears is a trite mascot is in your own mind, not mine !! And which Dean are you speaking of ? And I am not raking in the dough and I also do not have a problem with where I went to school. Maybe its an east coast thing. Like I said, check out the survey about the UNC logo. I Can't remember but I thought it was on the alumni site. :D

I've given my share, have you?

Surveying college kids who are more focused on getting wasted doesn't mean anything.

Yes, UNC is not private, but as a public U it's alumni base is huge and with a few right maneuvers can tap into that base.

In the words of the immortal Bob Marley "emancipate yourself from mental slavery", and join the rest of us in trying to better our school.[/quote]

What is your problem? I will answer all your questions:
-Yes, I have given my share. Don't even go there !
-The survey was not just for current students but go ahead and insult them also !
-I believe I commented above about a better marketing plan would help !
-And in the words of Don Henley: "get over it" !

-The survey was not just for current students but go ahead and insult them also !
-And in the words of Don Henley: "get over it" ![/quote]

You lost me at "in the words of Don Henley". Also, you're not just quoting the Eagles, who are sucky yacht rock for baby boomers that have no ear--and it can't hold a candle to anything Bob Marley ever did--you're quoting one of their two new songs, after 20 years of being broken up, probably forced upon their record company in exchange for a reunion tour--the Hell Freezes Over Tour. BTW the only Eagles song I can stand is Hotel California, which is based on music by the guitar player, who was fired from the band.

"If you are the big tree / We are the small axe / Ready to chop you down" -- that should be the mantra of NCU -- alas, you'll never hear that, unless the Eagles cover it on their next $200/seat tour.

The NCU Small Axes. I like that.

Cue Marley before each game, a great thing:

If you are the Big Tree, we are the Small Axe, ready to cut you down.

Speaking of Bob Marley, I have a dumb question (I know, I know, there is no such thing as a dumb question. just dumb people who ask questions.)
We recently got into the "legal pot in Colorado" issue and we wondered if students are allowed to legally smoke pot. Is it like people just walk around smoking pot like people in other states walk around smoking cigarettes?
Are athletes legally allowed to get high since it is legal in the state? Can the school ban students from doing something harmful if it is legal in the state? They don't stop athletes from smoking cigarettes or drinking if they are of age.
We couldn't find any info on it one way or another but since we live out of state, we were not sure if the legalization of pot was really that big of a deal or if has been causing a lot of on campus issues trying to keep students and athletes from getting legally high.

Godeev said:
Speaking of Bob Marley, I have a dumb question (I know, I know, there is no such thing as a dumb question. just dumb people who ask questions.)
We recently got into the "legal pot in Colorado" issue and we wondered if students are allowed to legally smoke pot. Is it like people just walk around smoking pot like people in other states walk around smoking cigarettes?
Are athletes legally allowed to get high since it is legal in the state? Can the school ban students from doing something harmful if it is legal in the state? They don't stop athletes from smoking cigarettes or drinking if they are of age.
We couldn't find any info on it one way or another but since we live out of state, we were not sure if the legalization of pot was really that big of a deal or if has been causing a lot of on campus issues trying to keep students and athletes from getting legally high.

There are 4 different laws that govern collegiate athletes: Federal, State, NCAA, and UNC's policies.

So even if MaryJane is legal in CO, that only cancels out 1/4. Bottom line: If you're playing Div I sports, you are high--naturally--you don't need weed. Enjoy 4 years of being the man on campus, the comraderie, and the ladies--or the men, if that's your thing.

We definitely Small-Axed KSU, who just beat 10-2, #20 in the country, Gonzaga.

Small Axes -- not illustrious but nevertheless lethal.

And this would be a *unique* mascot, no other school has.

And it sounds so humble, but yet so fearsomely capable of massive damage.

Lizzie Borden could be our mascot:

the-legend-of-lizzie-borden.jpg

BearInDC said:
Godeev said:

There are 4 different laws that govern collegiate athletes: Federal, State, NCAA, and UNC's policies.

So even if MaryJane is legal in CO, that only cancels out 1/4. Bottom line: If you're playing Div I sports, you are high--naturally--you don't need weed. Enjoy 4 years of being the man on campus, the comraderie, and the ladies--or the men, if that's your thing.

Great information, thank you... So the same cant be said for just students right? They can just get high whenever they want? The reason I ask is because my kid is red shirting this year and I would think it would be a great deal more prevalent at parties and the peer pressure would be greater if everyone else is legally allowed to get high and he is trying to stay straight and out of trouble. Seems like a nightmare for a kid with less than stellar will power and murder for coaches who already probably have a hard time trying to keep players from under age drinking.

BearInDC said:

You lost me at "in the words of Don Henley". Also, you're not just quoting the Eagles, who are sucky yacht rock for baby boomers that have no ear--and it can't hold a candle to anything Bob Marley ever did--you're quoting one of their two new songs, after 20 years of being broken up, probably forced upon their record company in exchange for a reunion tour--the Hell Freezes Over Tour. BTW the only Eagles song I can stand is Hotel California, which is based on music by the guitar player, who was fired from the band.

"If you are the big tree / We are the small axe / Ready to chop you down" -- that should be the mantra of NCU -- alas, you'll never hear that, unless the Eagles cover it on their next $200/seat tour.[/quote]
Who gives a shot what you can stand . :coffee:

beardevil39 said:
BearInDC said:

"If you are the big tree / We are the small axe / Ready to chop you down" -- that should be the mantra of NCU -- alas, you'll never hear that, unless the Eagles cover it on their next $200/seat tour.
Who gives a shot what you can stand . :coffee:[/quote]

Nice retort Gramps.

Should I come to my senses? Am I out ridin' fences? Have I checked in and can never leave? Do city girls just seem to find out early? Should I run down the road and try to loosen my load?

BearInDC said:
jjjj said:
If I had a time machine, I agree that it should have been named NCU, but I would be opposed to changing the name now. I personally like being seen as kind of a generic guy who went to (what is perceived as) a generic university. Don't get me wrong, I think UNC has lots of character and is a great school, I just like it when other people underestimate it.

Who doesn't love going to a job interview and being "underestimated"?

If you want to get on your knees and beg for a job from someone who is so pretentious they judge you based on the school you went to instead of the impression you make in the interview, your past work accomplishments, your academic credentials and the way you carry yourself, then have at it--sounds like a great way to go through life. It's not too late for you to go to CU to get another degree if that is your concern. I know plenty of people who have done extremely well and they graduated from non-prestigious universities.

Unless you are older than I guess you are, when you applied to the University in Greeley, I bet it was called UNC and I bet its mascot was the Bears.

Latest posts

Back