Can We Land Jason Shelley (Utah) From the Portal?

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Kadeezy

So, now with Thomson gone, we have the obvious leader in the clubhouse for the job...Jake Dunniway. Dunniway is not nearly as gifted athletically, but he still made plays last year, the team loves him - he's a dog.

BUT, as others have suggested on this board, can we land a drop-down FBS QB to bring up the competition level? If yes, who better than Jason Shelley, former Utah QB, and Taylor recruit (credit to GreenArmySwarm)?

Check out this video of Taylor talking about him!

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... on-shelley
GreenArmySwarm

Appreciate the credit!

This could be interesting. According to his Twitter, he's been followed by some of the Hornets coaching staff and one of the Hornets players. I woudn't be surprised if the coaching staff has reached out...

A few things to notice, he's been in the Portal since February, so he's certainly waiting for the right opportunity. A QB with multiple PAC12 wins under his belt wouldn't have trouble landing somewhere. He's from Texas and most media outlets predict that he'll land with a G5 team in or near the state. One outlet predicts him to land at SMU.

North Texas and possibly Virginia (who was very high on him out of high school) could also be a destination.

I think the only way the Hornets land him is if Taylor promise him the starting spot, which would be out of characteristics for Taylor because he's not a "guranteed" type of coach. I also think Taylor is very comfortable with Dunniway, so he might just be okay going into the uncertain season wtih Jake under center.

I really hope he makes the comes to the program (benefifical to him because he already knows the system, and doesn't have to sit out this year so he'd have two years to play). The program would have someone with high upside to plug into a year where we're supposed to compete for the conference and national championship without taking too big of a step back due to Thomson decision to trasnfer, and the two years of Shelley under center would give Yaro the opportunity to build his body and learn the playbook. :nod:
Kadeezy

There would be some precedent for a drop down PAC-10 (at the time) QB to come to SAC. Mcleod Bethel-Thompson, played for UCLA, started their bowl game, then played for us for a couple years after that.

Either way, we need one more body in that QB room, IMO.
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am There would be some precedent for a drop down PAC-10 (at the time) QB to come to SAC. Mcleod Bethel-Thompson, played for UCLA, started their bowl game, then played for us for a couple years after that.

Yeah, we really wasted his talent those 3 years. Even with a medicore team around, he willed us to the .500 mark every year he was here. Imagine getting that kinda arm talent with Taylor's coaching haha.

Here's to hoping it gets replicated...
SoCalSacHornetFan

I’m confident that Coach Taylor has already done all of the above and more that we haven’t even considered? 🙏🏻🤷🏻‍♂️

Coach Taylor has impressed and I doubt he will start this season unprepared.

Jake Dunniway with a Good O Line can throw some darts.
Strong backfield options that I expect will be modified to adapt to NEW pocket passing QB?

The schedule is good. Go Hornets
HornetHope

We currently have 3 QB’s on Roster sans Thomson . With Duvalko that makes 4, back ups and practice squad,. No sure another Jr QB is in the cards.
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
SDHornet

GreenArmySwarm wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:54 pm
Kadeezy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am There would be some precedent for a drop down PAC-10 (at the time) QB to come to SAC. Mcleod Bethel-Thompson, played for UCLA, started their bowl game, then played for us for a couple years after that.

Yeah, we really wasted his talent those 3 years. Even with a medicore team around, he willed us to the .500 mark every year he was here. Imagine getting that kinda arm talent with Taylor's coaching haha.

Here's to hoping it gets replicated...
I recall MBT being hurt most of his time spent here. Of course he is idolized for the Mattos March and rightfully so. :notworthy:
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
SDHornet

SoCalSacHornetFan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:50 pm I’m confident that Coach Taylor has already done all of the above and more that we haven’t even considered? 🙏🏻🤷🏻‍♂️

Strong backfield options that I expect will be modified to adapt to NEW pocket passing QB?

I agree.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
BuckeyeHornetFan

SoCalSacHornetFan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:50 pm I’m confident that Coach Taylor has already done all of the above and more that we haven’t even considered? 🙏🏻🤷🏻‍♂️

SDHornet wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 pmI agree.
I also agree.

One other thing about Thomson that makes me not dread losing him was how he played the last 5 games of the season.

He did most of his damage before and during the Montana game. But after that? He really wasn’t all that good. Slinging it anyway.

He had a couple good games with his legs, but his arm and decision making wasn’t very good. UCD was really the only standout game he had after the Montana win. Every other game was MEH.

Even the UCD game had some head scratching moments.

Losing the dual threat capability at the position will hurt, but I feel confident that Taylor and Fresques will figure it out and change up their game plan accordingly.

Now if they somehow land Shelley.....
Kadeezy

I should add that I fully trust Taylor, Richardson and Fresques in whatever they end up doing. I didn't mean to overlook that.
Kadeezy

Shelley committed to Utah State
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:34 am Shelley committed to Utah State
Well, that's a bummer. But look who to popped up on that Transfer Portal again...

Hello Kaiden Bennettttttttttt :nod:
Kadeezy

GreenArmySwarm wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:27 pm
Well, that's a bummer. But look who to popped up on that Transfer Portal again...

Oh wow! Yep! He HAS to be coming here, right?
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 am
GreenArmySwarm wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:27 pm

Oh wow! Yep! He HAS to be coming here, right?
One can only hope! There’s an article somewhere about him trying to find a program that fits his style of play. I mean, that could be a big “wink” if anything.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporte ... fer-portal

Could also be heading to Davis with Jake having graduated. Plus, he had a lot of suitors out of HS, so could be any of those locations

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah