• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2024 Baseball

SDHornet

Staff member
The Hornets open their 14th season under Head Coach Reggie Christiansen next Friday, February 16th at 2 pm at John Smith Field. The Hornets have a pretty challenging 56 game schedule that features 3 programs that made the NCAA Tournament last season and another 7 that finished in the top 100 RPI.

The Hornets were picked 7th in the WAC Preseason Coaches poll with outfielder Cesar Valero being selected to the preseason all-WAC team.

The Hornets were hit pretty hard with graduations and portal poaches from last season's roster. The 2024 roster features 14 returning players and 19 newcomers, 12 of which are transfers. Last year some late season heroics pushed the 30+ wins in a season streak to 11 seasons, but the Hornets are going to have to have some players step up if they want to keep it going for a 12th season.

In Reggie we trust. Stingers Up!

Just over the halfway mark of the season and the Hornets are sitting at 13-17 (5-7 WAC). Bats have struggled this season and pitching has been so-so with an underperforming defense behind them. IMO, this is the worst Hornet team Coach Christiansen has fielded. The good news for the Hornets is that there is a lot of parity in the WAC below the top 2-3 teams. If the Hornets can scrape together some series wins they might be able to make the WACT, however with the difficult mid-week games on the schedule I think it's safe to say that the 30 win streak ends at 10 years.

Just over the halfway mark of the season and the Hornets are sitting at 13-17 (5-7 WAC). Bats have struggled this season and pitching has been so-so with an underperforming defense behind them. IMO, this is the worst Hornet team Coach Christiansen has fielded. The good news for the Hornets is that there is a lot of parity in the WAC below the top 2-3 teams. If the Hornets can scrape together some series wins they might be able to make the WACT, however with the difficult mid-week games on the schedule I think it's safe to say that the 30 win streak ends at 10 years.
They got absolutely man spanked by ACU and Grand Canyon.

Nepotism is part of the problem. Coaches son is on the team and he is batting .005 for the season.

GCM: I'm not so sure I agree about the charge of nepotism. I just looked through all the box scores. I count Christiansen at 8-58-.137. (The online stat chart shows him at .138 with .429 OPS.) So offensively, not good, but when he DOES get a hit, he seems to have a penchant for scoring runs. He pretty much lost the RF starting job, but I can't see if it was on merit or if he's been struggling with injuries. His HS numbers looked pretty good, he was a team captain, and may have been all-league. On the other hand, he's been hit five times and he hasn't grounded into any double plays. (Actually, the entire team seems pretty good about avoiding the DP; three people tie for the lead with three each, and there are only 12 total, compared with the Hornet defenders having turned 19 DPs.) Defensively, Christiansen is perfect in handling his 29 chances. (Of course, much of the team is perfect; 16 players have a 1.000 fielding percentage.) It could well be that when Christiansen is in the line up, he's more there for his glove than his bat. I think that and his leadership (given his former captaincy) are why Christiansen is on this team. There are plenty of examples of people who have done well defensively and been forgiven a weak bat. Besides, one expects power from LFs, average and speed from CFs, and a glove from RFs; Gwynn was an anomaly.

This is just a personal opinion from just looking at the box scores. If someone's actually been to some games, I'd be happy to hear their opinion and tilt toward what they have to say.

GCM: I'm not so sure I agree about the charge of nepotism. I just looked through all the box scores. I count Christiansen at 8-58-.137. (The online stat chart shows him at .138 with .429 OPS.) So offensively, not good, but when he DOES get a hit, he seems to have a penchant for scoring runs. He pretty much lost the RF starting job, but I can't see if it was on merit or if he's been struggling with injuries. His HS numbers looked pretty good, he was a team captain, and may have been all-league. On the other hand, he's been hit five times and he hasn't grounded into any double plays. (Actually, the entire team seems pretty good about avoiding the DP; three people tie for the lead with three each, and there are only 12 total, compared with the Hornet defenders having turned 19 DPs.) Defensively, Christiansen is perfect in handling his 29 chances. (Of course, much of the team is perfect; 16 players have a 1.000 fielding percentage.) It could well be that when Christiansen is in the line up, he's more there for his glove than his bat. I think that and his leadership (given his former captaincy) are why Christiansen is on this team. There are plenty of examples of people who have done well defensively and been forgiven a weak bat. Besides, one expects power from LFs, average and speed from CFs, and a glove from RFs; Gwynn was an anomaly.

This is just a personal opinion from just looking at the box scores. If someone's actually been to some games, I'd be happy to hear their opinion and tilt toward what they have to say.
.005 was hyperbole SH.

Kid Christianson hit two dingers @ #17 Oregon last night, raising BA by 25 points! Great win!

Hornet Portal hopper Jeffrey Heard went 0-5 for #17 Oregon! o_O

Baseball stays on their heater and swept the weekend in SoCal with 2 wins over U$C and 1 over Santa Clara to pull to 21-21 (9-9 WAC) on the season. The Hornets have won 8 of their last 10 and 7 of their recent 9 game road trip. This team has really turned it on these past few weeks. 30 wins is a strong possibility if the Hornets take care of business in the remaining WAC games.

Latest posts

Back