Kevin Thomson In The Portal???

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:59 pm
GreenArmySwarm wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm
Kadeezy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm Kaiden Bennett is in the Transfer Portal, first reported 5/21.

Perhaps he contacted the coaches and Thomson felt slighted? Hmmmm.

Interesting...
Woahhh! Do you have the link??

Could you have possibly mistaken Kaymen Cuerton who transferred to EKU from Nevada for Bennett?

Chris Murray is Nevada beat writer, look at this response to a tweet about Bennett. Unless
I’m misreading, sounds like he’s saying Cuerton is gone and Bennett is in portal?
After reading the article, I think Chris Murray was referring to Kaymen Cuerton. In a tweet that same day, he was talking about Bennett possibly fighting for that back up spot.

If he ends up transferring to the Sac, it'd be like we traded Hamish McClure for him haha. Only thing I'd mention about this potential transfer is that as late as this week, he was still retweeting a lot of Nevada Football related posts. In addition, since the NCAA Portal is not public, we won't know for certain unless the player mentions it. The best source is the 247 Sports tracker, and they have yet to show him on there besides the Boise --> Nevada transfer; and it was updated yesterday. Bennett was also listed on the team's 2020 roster, so if he put his name in the portal right after the season, he wouldn't have been on there.
Kadeezy

Ah, crud. Yeah, wonder if that beat writer could clarify. Lots to shakeout still...
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:48 pm Ah, crud. Yeah, wonder if that beat writer could clarify. Lots to shakeout still...
For what it’s worth, Joe Davidson of the Bee said this seems like a pretty permanent decision. So there might be already an offer on the table. The fan base gotta prepared to move on. Could have gone down as an all time great but the football gods never give Hornets fans a storybook ending.

Just hopes he finds a good situation and not settle for something silly like Fresno State. If it ends up being Washington State/UW or some sort, then you can’t really blame the kid. Also, would be extremely foolish if he just ends up at another FCS school.

As for us, I’ve been bringing Bennett up, but he might be just a pipe dream for this year. He’s 2nd in line, and as the backup for Nevada, I don’t see him leaving again. Unless he falls down to the third string, then maybe there’s hope.
Green Cookie Monster

Here might be some reasons Thompson left:

+ No FCS Pro Day, who says they will have it in '21?
+ Graduated with Masters, is there anything left academically at Sac to offer?
+ Probably no FCS season for California FCS teams, regardless of what Craig Haley says.
+ NDSU QB is top dog at this level, Thompson, even if he had another stellar year, would be over-shadowed in one trick pony FCS.
+ What happens when you have transfers, players not brought in as Frosh. Transfers are mercenaries and many don't have allegiance, except to themselves.
GreenArmySwarm

A few other names to consider if Taylor and Co. decides to go the Transfer route to plug in for Kevin Thomson.

*Jason Shelley - Troy Taylor's back-up QB at Utah enterred the portal after last season. He played really well in Taylor's system when the starting QB was down. A three star recruit out of HS with a slew of FBS offers. He'd have two years remaining if he decides to drop down the the FCS. Would have to sit out a year to FBS

Kaiden Bennett - For obvious reasons, the Folsom connection. Plug and play. Boise --> Nevada. He looks like he might be staying to fight for the back-up position.

Blaze McKibbin - Transfer out of Fresno State (originally out of Washington). QB with great size that has a lot of poise. There's no connection here at all whatsover, but the fact that's he is CA and has already trasnferred twice and might have a chance to jump in and play

:thumb:
Last edited by GreenArmySwarm on Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
GreenArmySwarm

Green Cookie Monster wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 am Here might be some reasons Thompson left:

+ No FCS Pro Day, who says they will have it in '21?
+ Graduated with Masters, is there anything left academically at Sac to offer?
+ Probably no FCS season for California FCS teams, regardless of what Craig Haley says.
+ NDSU QB is top dog at this level, Thompson, even if he had another stellar year, would be over-shadowed in one trick pony FCS.
+ What happens when you have transfers, players not brought in as Frosh. Transfers are mercenaries and many don't have allegiance, except to themselves.

Agreed with first,second, and part of fifth point.

Disagree with the 3rd and 4th. It'd be difficult to see San Diego, San Jose, and Fresno (states) getting approved to play by the CSU boards and not us and Cal Poly. It'd be extremely hypocritical of the boards to do that if we're talking about College Athletics and the "student-athlete". It's not like the 3 CSU's that plays at the FBS level are bringing in money anyway.

I also gave the example of BEN DINUCCI. The JMU QB who was drafted in the late rounds when there were other high level of FBS still on the boards. If you're good enough, they'll find you. Plus, history has shown that there's plenty of FCS QBs who have been drafted into the NFL. Jimmy Garropplo came from EIU, not exactly an FCS powerhouse either. Thomson problem is that he doesn't have a lot of upside so what you see is what you get at his age (almost 25 for a college QB). Plus, the injury ridden past is the biggest flag with Thomson profile. At this stage, Thomson is more like Jake Maier than Ben Dinucci.

In regards to transfer, what you say is pretty accruate for Graduate Transfers. But Thomson came into the program as a redshirt sophomore. So there's a different dynamic there...

I think it's a water under the bridge now. If you believe that there's a season, which I personally do (but who knows at this point), then it's next man up. Or poach someone from the Portal oursevles. A QB who is willing to drop down to the AA level might not get a key to a brand named Mercedes, but certainly, a very highly tuned Mustang. I'm sure if Taylor and Co wants to go the transfer route, that they won't be able to get one to plug in a play with their pedigree.
SDHornet

That’s too bad about Thomson. If he would have stayed here and stayed healthy, we no doubt would have won another BSC Title and made a run in the playoffs. That would have put him down as the best QB in Hornet history by far. He’s doing what’s best for him and that’s his call. Best of luck to him.

For whatever reason I’m not too bothered by this transfer. Maybe I’m still on the high from last season, or maybe it’s the proven track record Taylor has with QBs and his system. There are too many weapons returning on this offense to not have a solid year against the much weaker schedule compared to last season. Offensively I think we’ll be just fine. The bigger question marks are all the holes on defense due to graduation. I think we’ll make the playoffs and challenge for a BSC title regardless of the changes on both sides of the ball.

From what I’ve heard there will be a football season barring some catastrophic change beyond anyone’s control. The only question is if fans will be allowed to attend, and if so at what capacity. I do know I’ll be there in person no matter what.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
HornetHope

It is Official.

Wish him the best, next man up!
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
Kadeezy

In Dunniway we trust!
BuckeyeHornetFan

IMO, the kid is getting bad advice.

I don’t believe there will be high interest for a oft-injured, 6th year senior — who is a tad on the smallish side — at any of the power 5 FBS programs. Not for a starting gig anyway.

So what options does that leave? Middling FBS programs? That’s exactly where he started his collegiate career.

I don’t see how playing one season for UNLV, SJST, UNR, Boise, etc. is going to be better than remaining at SAC where two of the better QB coaches just happen to reside.

Even transferring to a marquee FCS program doesn’t give him more recognition than he already has. NFL scouts surely know who he is. If they didn’t a year ago, they surely do now after the Hornets 2019 season.

Honestly, I’m half way wondering if there are other factors in play. Behind the scenes. Because I’m truly puzzled by the decision if there isn’t.

No ill will toward Thomson. He can do what he wants. But he’s been misinformed about the degree which transferring to a middling FBS program will enhance his PRO prospects.

Now, if he ends up the starting QB at Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, or any PAC-12 program — it’ll make some sense. But we know that’s not likely to happen.
BuckeyeHornetFan

With regard to the Hornets starting QB in 2020, keep your eye on Yaro Dulvalko, a 3 ⭐️ recruit.

Dunniway would have to be the odds on favorite since he already knows the system and has game experience under his belt, but don’t rule out the true freshman.

Regardless, I believe the Hornets will be ok with whomever Fresques and Taylor decide to hand the keys to the car....
Green Cookie Monster

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:52 am Honestly, I’m half way wondering if there are other factors in play. Behind the scenes. Because I’m truly puzzled by the decision if there isn’t.
Completely agree, undercurrents happening.
Kadeezy

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:57 am With regard to the Hornets starting QB in 2020, keep your eye on Yaro Dulvalko, a 3 ⭐️ recruit.

Dunniway would have to be the odds on favorite since he already knows the system and has game experience under his belt, but don’t rule out the true freshman.

Regardless, I believe the Hornets will be ok with whomever Fresques and Taylor decide to hand the keys to the car....
Signing a 3-star QB recruit wouldn’t normally upset a star Senior QB, but with Thomson’s injury history, and the Folsom HS-style propensity for rotating in Frosh/Soph for 3-4 year runs might’ve rubbed him the wrong way?

It’s going to be incredibly hard for Thomson to land somewhere in what is practically July already, and hope to start at a high profile FBS in August.

I agree something has to be going on behind the scenes because this just seems like a wild, wild call by Thomson to leave the program.
BuckeyeHornetFan

Green Cookie Monster wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:58 amCompletely agree, undercurrents happening.
Kadeezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:51 am I agree something has to be going on behind the scenes because this just seems like a wild, wild call by Thomson to leave the program.
There are several things that point to this, IMO.

First, the late timing of it.

Next, the fact that the players and coaches seemed resigned to Thomson leaving right away. It’s not uncommon for a player to enter the portal to gauge interest but not end up leaving. They seemed to know it was a done deal right away, even though Thomsen has still yet to declare a school and hadn’t posted a social media goodbye until just yesterday.

Next, the fact that Thomson seemingly doesn’t already have his next destination in place. I mean, what if he doesn’t find a new situation he likes or that fits? Neither party seems to be leaving the option of staying put on the table. Why?

Lastly, the reasoning cited for transferring makes little sense. Given the production and accolades Thomson enjoyed last season, the team’s success, and how positive things were looking for 2020 — a move to a middling FBS program doesn’t in anyway place him in a better situation to attract the attention of NFL scouts. It actually could hurt his chances.
Kadeezy

Phantom Hornet

Kadeezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:25 pm
Good for him. Kid gave up his body for Sac State and took us to a championship. Gets to go home and play his final year at UDub. Although this sucks for sac state on the surface initially, I think this is reflective of the quality of program being built.

Very happy for Kevin, will always be a hornet.
HornetHope

Kadeezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:25 pm
Thomson’s twitter had a pinned tweet about unfinished business with a ring on it. Fast forward and then the post about him leaving, team saying he will be fine, etc. when do fall schollies get announced for roster guys? Did he get told he was getting schollie based on avg playing time or about half?
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
Kadeezy

Thomson did an interview where he tried to be painfully obvious that he just happened to enter the portal and UW out of nowhere offered him, yeaahhhhh righhhhhhtt lol
Kadeezy

Well, wish him the best - gotta root for him to make us and the FCS proud.

No more motivation needed for week 2!
Phantom Hornet

Kadeezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:09 pm Well, wish him the best - gotta root for him to make us and the FCS proud.

No more motivation needed for week 2!

Didn’t that happen to Vernon Adams as well? His first game with Oregon was against Eastern Wash?

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah