Done

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Phantom Hornet

Tonight was honestly the straw that broke my back. I'm done with this program, not investing a single more cent or second of my time in it. That was the most pathetic thing I've seen in 35 years of following them. Had friends and family come and tailgate after I talked how things had gotten better and left with egg on my face.

That looked like a team that was ill prepared and didn't want to play. It was a complete failure on all sides of the ball. Kevin Thomsen was HORRIBLE. So many missed receivers. No adjustments from the coaching staff all game.

Thanks for the years of chatting all, take care.
Green Cookie Monster

Before you 'retire', you can glean satisfaction from the fact that UCD will go 10-1 and enjoy a final Top 6 national ranking.
Joe Football

Coach Angus McClure
Kadeezy

Me too
Green Cookie Monster

You 'Rode for the Brand' and got splinters too?

Stupidest slogan ever half-assed thought up.
GreenArmySwarm

So...how long is this Sears contract again?
EventCenterNow

The way I see it, the Sac State football program, much like the entire athletic department, is at a crossroads. Speaking strictly about the football team, they've had far more bad years than good and I don't hold out much hope that things can turn around. John Volek and Marshall Sperbeck could only get this team to a certain point and I fear the same thing will happen with Jody Sears. Getting a coach with a track record of success will be a very difficult task given the program's resources and subpar history. Of course, this is Sacramento we're talking about, where doing anything right is very difficult. Just look at the Kings (another Sacramento team with more than its fair share of problems). Dave Joerger probably won't be getting that team very far either. At some point, the viability of the Hornet football program needs to be questioned because there's just too much uncertainty in areas such as coaching, facilities and developing a passionate fanbase.
StudentHornet

Where do I begin,

First, attendance is getting worse by the day. The "Swarm" (formerly known as the green army), the athletic department, and the school itself truly makes little to no effort to bring students out to games. The homecoming festivities seemed like they were planned the day of, the pep rally was a good idea but poorly executed, and the student body could not care less about the football program. Being in a Fraternity, I feel like I have a pretty solid control group of students at the school. At one of our meetings prior to the homecoming game I asked how many people were aware that the homecoming game was that weekend. Maybe 15 out of 71 knew about it. Greek Life should be capitalized on for these games. All the school would need to do is actually reach out to them whether that be by email, making events, or just coming into a meeting and asking nicely. Greek life at most big schools treats Football Saturdays as a holiday. We cant even get our Greek life into the stadium.

Second, the football team is an absolute dumpster fire right now. I'm no football expert, but I think anybody can tell that we're terrible. From a team that I hyped up to my friends all summer, saying things like, "This is gonna be our year guys, just wait!" to "Nah, the team is just dealing with a lot of injuries right now, they'll bounce back" to now, "Yeah, we just suck".

Third, social media is huge in sports right now, especially hype videos for teams. There is literally NOTHING cool about Sac State football. Our stadium is lacking. Our student section sucks. Our team is not looking that great. Maybe at least put some sort of effort to making our social media cool or funny (ex: Sacramento Kings Twitter).

Alright, my rant is over. It just sucks because this is my last year and I wanted to go out seeing major change in the athletic programs. I thought last season turned it all around but it looks like its going to be another 2 win season. And these forums scare me because I know you guys are all correct in questioning the viability of keeping a football program, which sucks because that was one of the things I was most excited for coming here. Maybe if we cut it we could use that funding and put it towards an actual basketball arena, lol.
Joe Football

Bring in Coach Angus and they will come...
TAR Man

This pains me to write. I too am done with Hornet football. Before I explain, my deepest apologies to all
those on this message board fifteen to twenty years ago who I snarked at for “quitting” on their alma
mater’s football team. Their voices, now, rise like wisdom and my words like fool's gold.

The first time I listened to Jason and Ross was a game that took place in a torrential downpour in 1996
against a team that I fail to remember now, but they finished the season 1-10.

Pleased to meet you, won’t you guess my name?

I was there when Charles Roberts rushed for 400+ yards against Idaho State in 1999.

I was there in 1999 when Sac State ended a long drought against “that school across the Causeway” to a
score of 48-27. Who knew then that a win against our rival wouldn’t come until 2008? History should
have informed me.

I was there in 2001 when an epic showcase of offense, and no defense, saw the Hornets defeat Cal State
Northridge and their QB Marcus Brady to the score of 64 – 61.

I was there in 2002 when Volek era accelerated its ending as the Hornets committed a defensive penalty
at the end of the game to give Montana State the opportunity to kick a field goal with no time on the
clock.

I was there during the Steve Mooshagian era, and all I remember was some St. Mary’s wide-receiver transfer named Ryan Coogler, Bobby Mooshagian’s zero output, and a UConn transfer who returned an interception for
a touchdown in one game and got kicked out of the Oregon State game for targeting. Oh, and internet
rumors about Coach Moosh’s addiction to Muscle Milk.

I was there in 2007 to create a blog covering Hornet football to generate interest, but, alas, became a
parody.

I was there with renewed optimism as the Sperbeck era dawned and witnessed victories over Oregon
State and University of Colorado only to have it end NCAA violations and only 2 winning seasons in a 7-
year span.

And now, hope no longer springs eternal. With a 36 winning percentage over 20 years, why should I?

And, I have been to only one game in the last three seasons.

Yes, this Hornet will never die but is fading away.
agalum

Fellas, believe me, i feel your pain. We suffered on the other side of the causeway for years, with a coach who was a super nice guy but lousy head coach. Our program started turning around with the hiring of a new AD who had vision, some guts, and the “know how” to bring in the right coach. Stick with your program, pressure your president, get the right administrative leadership in athletics, and good things will happen, (as long as you still loose to the Aggies, lol). It would be a crime if you lost your football program.
GreenArmySwarm

Sears deserved a new contract after last season = True

Sears need to let go after this upcoming season (hoping that we only gave him a 2-3 year extension after season) = True

Reality is, it's easier for Mid-major FCS schools to get recognition through basketball than football (except for NDSU). So honestly, if Orr can allocate the right resources to our basketball program, I'll be happy = True

Sears need to go = True

Sears need to go = True

Sears need to go = True

I don't care about injuries, Sears need to go - True

Time to revamp that coaching search = True
Super Hornet
Admin

I'm not exactly "done," but I DO have a short list of candidates:

1. Angus McClure, OL/Asst. HC, Nevada
2. Jon Osterhout, HC, ARC
3. Bruce Pielstick, HC, Placerville-El Dorado HS
4. Mike Canales, OC, UTEP
5. John Volek
6. John Fassel, Special Teams, L.A. Rams
Green Laser

Considering that Coach Sears was BSC coach of the year last year and was given an extension by new AD Mark Orr, there is basically no chance that the coaching staff will be changed soon. Arguing over whether we need a new HC at this point, or who it should be is a waste of time

I have attended all of our home games and watched all but the San Diego State game on line. I think that the biggest problem that we have faced this year has been the amount of injuries to key players. I know that many on this forum think that you just put the “next man up” into the line up and carry on, and If the coaches can't do that it's their fault.

“Next man up” is a nice phrase but it is really meaningless if the next man up is far less experienced/ talented than the man he's replacing. Especially true if multiple key players go down like we have experienced this year, it's like a domino effect. On defense George Obinna was hurt in the first game, I guess he's now out for the season. How important would he have been for example vs North Dakota's running attack which killed us?

Kevin Thomson played a good game vs San Diego State but was hurt in the 4th quarter, he has not been himself since. He didn't look anything like the same dynamic player that we saw last year, vs Northern Colorado. At the Cal Poly game he had no mobility at all. Hurt again and out at Southern Utah, maybe out for the season. His replacement, Wyatt Clapper might be the “next man up” but not even close to him in ability or skill-set. Then the loss of our fast receivers. Seems like a least a third of our expected starters are either out or banged up and less than 100%.
Bottom line you can't expect to lose potential all-American athletes, replace them with inexperienced reserves and expect the result to be the same, no matter who the coach is.

One concern that I do have is why we seem to lose so many players to injuries year after year. Apparently most of the QB's that would be expected to back up Thomson, Roman Ale, Jack Rice along with other mainline reserves etc. have been injured in practice an unavailable. Maybe we need to make changes in our practice format or the strength and conditioning coaches.

Despite our record this team has played hard with what they have to work with, something I didn't see a couple of years ago.

I have been loyal to the Hornets since the coach Ray Clemons era. and will continue to be a supporter of the program as long as it (or I!) last.

I don't claim to have any special insight just my observations as someone that has been involved with athletics as an athlete and coach all my life.
GreenArmySwarm

Super Hornet wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 pm
I'm not exactly "done," but I DO have a short list of candidates:

1. Angus McClure, OL/Asst. HC, Nevada (Would love this hire, but I don't think McClure would accept and if he does, it feels like a stop gap)

2. Jon Osterhout, HC, ARC :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: This would be my number one choice without a doubt. Though the same "stop gap" sentiment applies especially with Osterhout being so young. I do strongly believe that he will accept the job, take 2-3 year to bring the program to his liking. Above .500 team in year 4 & 5 and leave for a FBS assistant job.

3. Jimmy Collins, HC, CCSF. I think this could also be another amazing hire. Pretty much in the same mold as the Jon Osterhout hiring
Super Hornet
Admin

Why would Jonny O leave for an FBS assistant job? Been there, done that. Followed Angus to Nebraska....
GreenArmySwarm

Super Hornet wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:57 pm
Why would Jonny O leave for an FBS assistant job? Been there, done that. Followed Angus to Nebraska....
Well, if a HC of an FCS program leaves for an assistant job at the FBS, it's usually a high level assistant job. Which means that he will certainly be paid more. Going from around $200K as HC @ SacState to anywhere from $275-350K (if not more) with an opportunity to get a HC job at that level, not many would say no. Especially for a coach who wants to coach at the highest level.

Though I hope "if" our dream scenario plays out, he would stay and be content of winning 8-10 games/year at Sac and be the program most revered coach and have the stadium or whatever named after him haha. One can dream right? :nod:
Super Hornet
Admin

OK. You make a good point, GAS. But hopefully, if we pick someone with a Sac history, they'll stick around for awhile....
OldSchoolHornet

Instead of looking for scenarios where Jonny O would leave, you might want to consider the reasons he would have for not looking at offers that might tempt him to leave. One answer is family. If he wanted to be out there chasing the FBS dream, he'd already be out there dragging his family through it. Some exceedingly competent coaches choose not to take that path.
Joe Football

My two cents is that if you hire Coach Angus, you will most likely also get Jonny O as the Assistant HC/Coordinator.

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah