• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Beau Baldwin out at ASU

Davenport_Eag said:
The 2018 defense gave up 17.8 ppg against Big Sky foes, which helped the then-DC get a pretty good gig at Boise State (the assistant coaches that year were pretty solid, but it helped having about 30 seniors who had spent years developing in a fun, winning culture). I wouldn't consider that season's defense average.

That seems like 25 years ago after what we have witnessed in recent years.

I'm pretty sure Eastern was like 67th in total defense that year which out of 120ish team is pretty average. That was before the Montanas, Idaho and Sac State were playing really good defense. Weber had a pretty good defense.

Hambone said:
Davenport_Eag said:
The 2018 defense gave up 17.8 ppg against Big Sky foes, which helped the then-DC get a pretty good gig at Boise State (the assistant coaches that year were pretty solid, but it helped having about 30 seniors who had spent years developing in a fun, winning culture). I wouldn't consider that season's defense average.

That seems like 25 years ago after what we have witnessed in recent years.

That's a pretty darn good ppg for an Eastern defense. I'm trying to think of who the studs were on that defense.

It gave up a lot of yards between the 20s, but who cares? It all comes down the points you allow and the opportunities you give your offense (if I remember right, that 2018 defense forced a helluva lot of turnovers).

Also, for as fast as that offense scored, you're naturally going to yield more points/yards because you're giving the opposition more shots to move the football.

There were a lot of studs on that defense, but the defensive MVP of the league was the nose tackle JT Tiuli.

Anyway, back to Baldwin and his impact at EWU after he left:

When the players from the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes (the final Baldwin classes) graduated after their long careers (seriously, how many fifth, sixth and seventh-year guys were on that 2021 playoff team that got bounced in the second round?), EWU began the downfall we see today. You could argue that it started in 2019 when all of those veteran assistants left and EWU missed the playoffs when it was expected to make another deep run. Man, Cherokee could bring in dudes, and he is doing the same at Sac State.

Eaglefanatical said:
luckyintheorder said:
Eaglefanatical said:
luckyintheorder said:
BB... no thanks. Dude has lost the mojo. Worst offenses anywhere at Cal, CP and ASU. I don't know why but the stats do not lie. Good luck to him moving forward.

Strong recruiting ties to the area, understands how to find hidden gems and develop them, proven winner. Not sure what’s to like…don’t really care what he’s done at Cal or ASU. Those were both no-win situations.

Ha. OK. Given loads more money and talent he was in a no-win situation.... Some people would say that the Natty team was Paul Wulff's team.

Wulff went to WSU in 2007 but the 2010 Natty Team was his? Hmm, ok. Even if what you are saying is true you might be forgetting that Baldwin was the OC for a good portion of Wulf's tenure at EWU. I guess we should also dismiss the multiple conference championships and deep playoff runs Baldwin made while he was HC at EWU. There hasn't been a HC before or since Baldwin that's achieved anything remotely resembling what he did at EWU. And you don't think he could be succesful here again? Umm, sure.

08 recruits were Wulff's for the most part. 06,07,08 had the team leaders for the 10 team. It can be said the Natty team was MOSTLY Wulff's recruits. Add in Bo Levi as a transfer that season and that's the team. Relax, it will be OK. You are welcome to your opinion but he's a burnout. Hanging onto the past isn't the way forward. You do you.

You know Montana brought Hauck back after a failed stint in the FBS and is relevant again and playing for a national championship. Maybe some people do better at the FCS level and at certain schools that let them do what they want. Maybe bringing Baldwin back to Eastern would be a good idea. If he doesn't take a new job one might guess he is waiting for Best to be fired.

He made 725,000 in 2023. Depending on his contract ASU may be responsible for at least that amount for another year or two...
and what does EWU pay???
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant/team/112

Not to forget coaches have personal lives too.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/saguaro-hires-former-arizona-state-054430351.html

clawman said:
He made 725,000 in 2023. Depending on his contract ASU may be responsible for at least that amount for another year or two...
and what does EWU pay???
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant/team/112

There is no way another P5 program hires him as OC so that money is gone. He literally got fired after one season and got his play calling responsibilities taken away after like 3-4 games. I doubt ASU gave him a good contract. His Cal offenses were mid to bad to for whatever reasons.

The highest position he can get now is a FCS HC or a G5 OC job which pay roughly the same. Maybe a little more at a G5 school.

clawman said:
Not to forget coaches have personal lives too.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/saguaro-hires-former-arizona-state-054430351.html

That's what I'm saying though. If he can maintain some modicum of success, like he has already show he can, Eastern won't fire him thus maintaining some consistency for his family. Assuming he is fine with raising his family in Cheney/Spokane. But if he really wanted to set down roots and have some consistency for his family he wouldn't have taken the ASU job and stayed at Cal Poly since his is from California.

Weird you say he won't want to take a pay decrease and that he will want these inconsistent, high paying P5 OC jobs then contradict yourself by linking an article about Zak Hill and him wanting some consistency for his kids and implying Beau might want that.

Seattle Eagle said:
Zack Hill would be a good hire if people could get past his indiscretions.

Great OC and QB coach. Not sure anyone would touch him with a ten foot pole right now.

EWURanger said:
Seattle Eagle said:

Great OC and QB coach. Not sure anyone would touch him with a ten foot pole right now.

I read all he did was talk to recruits during a recruiting black out period.

WSU picked up Mike Leach after he locked a kid in a tool shed and did well.

Well just reaffirms mine and others notions Shoemaker was propped up by Barriere's talent. Looks like he pulled a Baldwin and had his play calling duties taken over by the HC.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
Well just reaffirms mine and others notions Shoemaker was propped up by Barriere's talent. Looks like he pulled a Baldwin and had his play calling duties taken over by the HC.

Are you saying Baldwin was propped up by outstanding QB play?

clawman said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:

I... don't... what?! Can you read and understand words? Where did I say that at all?!

The HC at ASU took over play calling in like the third game of the season from Baldwin, the Hawaii HC took over play calling in the fourth or fifth game of the season from Shoemaker.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
clawman said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:

I... don't... what?! Can you read and understand words? Where did I say that at all?!

The HC at ASU took over play calling in like the third game of the season from Baldwin, the Hawaii HC took over play calling in the fourth or fifth game of the season from Shoemaker.

You implied any success Shoemaker had was "propped up by Barriere's talent". Wouldn't the same train of thought apply to other coaches?

clawman said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:
clawman said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:

You implied any success Shoemaker had was "propped up by Barriere's talent". Wouldn't the same train of thought apply to other coaches?

Well considering Shoemaker didn't recruit him or coach him his first three years he can't really claim too much credit for Barriere's abilities. From what I remember Barriere bailed out Shoemaker and his bland, predictable play calling by improvising with his feet or arm when the plays broke down.

So does every coach inherit a Walter Payton award winner and leverage their talent into a better job after quitting mid season then immediately get exposed at their next job. I would say no. Barriere's abilities where there before Shoemaker came to Eastern.

I'm not sure what your logic is beyond players play for coaches.

clawman said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:

In many ways, yes he was. But part of good coaching is good recruiting.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
EWURanger said:
Seattle Eagle said:

I read all he did was talk to recruits during a recruiting black out period.

WSU picked up Mike Leach after he locked a kid in a tool shed and did well.

I heard it was a little more than that.

I personally wouldn’t mind seeing him back and think our offense would be greatly improved under his direction.

Latest posts

Back