• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Beau Baldwin out at ASU

GSmith42 said:
Savages said:
EagInTexas said:
One can dream.

Not happening unfortunately.

Why do you say that?

A) Best has another year and if he manages to put together a winning record will probably get his contract renewed.
B) Baldwin will get another OC job at a P5 school or land a FCS HC job somewhere else.
C) I doubt he'd want to come back even if the above two points were not true.

BB... no thanks. Dude has lost the mojo. Worst offenses anywhere at Cal, CP and ASU. I don't know why but the stats do not lie. Good luck to him moving forward.

If Collins was mean he'd offer Baldwin an offensive analyst position. Best would have his potential replacement breathing down his neck.

luckyintheorder said:
BB... no thanks. Dude has lost the mojo. Worst offenses anywhere at Cal, CP and ASU. I don't know why but the stats do not lie. Good luck to him moving forward.

Strong recruiting ties to the area, understands how to find hidden gems and develop them, proven winner. Not sure what’s to like…don’t really care what he’s done at Cal or ASU. Those were both no-win situations.

Eaglefanatical said:
luckyintheorder said:

Strong recruiting ties to the area, understands how to find hidden gems and develop them, proven winner. Not sure what’s to like…don’t really care what he’s done at Cal or ASU. Those were both no-win situations.

Ha. OK. Given loads more money and talent he was in a no-win situation.... Some people would say that the Natty team was Paul Wulff's team.

Obzerver said:
Lucky heard anything on Baldwins landing somewhere?

Not a whisper. His twitter says nothing but all the picks are of his wife and daughters at the beach/boat dock.... I think that tells a story.

No way another P5 team touches him. A low level G5 team might pick him up for cheap. Other than that its back to the FCS.

I'd like Baldwin over Best cause at least the offense was crazy good, but he didn't pay much attention to the defense either.

There are some guys that don't do well in the FBS, Bobby Hauck came back to Montana and is doing well. Our old OC Bodie Reeder had a few G5 stops and is back in the FCS at Northern Iowa as OC I think they're offense has improved.

If Baldwin came back he'd probably be given free reign to do what he wants and no academic restrictions like at Cal Poly or Cal.

I think Idaho hit a home run with Jason Eck, Eastern should do that same and find a highly successful FCS OC that runs an Eastern like spread offense.

luckyintheorder said:
Eaglefanatical said:
luckyintheorder said:

Ha. OK. Given loads more money and talent he was in a no-win situation.... Some people would say that the Natty team was Paul Wulff's team.

Wulff went to WSU in 2007 but the 2010 Natty Team was his? Hmm, ok. Even if what you are saying is true you might be forgetting that Baldwin was the OC for a good portion of Wulf's tenure at EWU. I guess we should also dismiss the multiple conference championships and deep playoff runs Baldwin made while he was HC at EWU. There hasn't been a HC before or since Baldwin that's achieved anything remotely resembling what he did at EWU. And you don't think he could be succesful here again? Umm, sure.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
No way another P5 team touches him. A low level G5 team might pick him up for cheap. Other than that its back to the FCS.

I'd like Baldwin over Best cause at least the offense was crazy good, but he didn't pay much attention to the defense either.

You'd have to go a very long ways back to find a EWU HC who paid much attention to defense. It's just sort of...not our thing. Even in the years where we had NC caliber teams (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018) we only had defenses that were middle of the road. The 2010 team maybe being the exception because while they gave up a lot of yards they didn't give up many points and created a ton of turnovers.

Eaglefanatical said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:

You'd have to go a very long ways back to find a EWU HC who paid much attention to defense. It's just sort of...not our thing. Even in the years where we had NC caliber teams (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018) we only had defenses that were middle of the road. The 2010 team maybe being the exception because while they gave up a lot of yards they didn't give up many points and created a ton of turnovers.

Yea I know all that. Its always been, Bend Don't Break, get turnovers, don't give up too much points get stops when necessary. The problem is they're not even doing that now. They're not even mid-FCS, they're bottom of the barrel, hot garbage. I don't think asking for a serviceable defense is too much to ask from a HC.

The 2018 defense gave up 17.8 ppg against Big Sky foes, which helped the then-DC get a pretty good gig at Boise State (the assistant coaches that year were pretty solid, but it helped having about 30 seniors who had spent years developing in a fun, winning culture). I wouldn't consider that season's defense average.

That seems like 25 years ago after what we have witnessed in recent years.

Davenport_Eag said:
The 2018 defense gave up 17.8 ppg against Big Sky foes, which helped the then-DC get a pretty good gig at Boise State (the assistant coaches that year were pretty solid, but it helped having about 30 seniors who had spent years developing in a fun, winning culture). I wouldn't consider that season's defense average.

That seems like 25 years ago after what we have witnessed in recent years.

That's a pretty darn good ppg for an Eastern defense. I'm trying to think of who the studs were on that defense.

Latest posts

Back