• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2024 Schedule/Dates Finalized

I will receive grief for this - but I strongly believe this 2024 team is the most talented group of players we have ever assembled at Sac State... Look at it this way, using the players that left before 2023 as examples --

Dorian Hale was going to be the third string QB and decided to go to JUCO and now has an FBS scholarship at QB.
Billy Lutui didn't see the field much for us, but at Portland State he started the first nine games before getting injured, two at DT and seven at RG, where he is the projected started going into next season.
Ayodele Adeoye was first team all-Southland Conference and we were much better without the headaches he caused us on the field with his dirty play, and in the locker room where reports do not show him in a glowing light.

We lost our backup punter and holder Connor Stutz postseason to a FBS scholarship offer (he was paying his own way at Sac State, no ill will toward him for that).

Talent doesn't win ballgames solely, as we saw in 2023. But with some better injury luck and some better play calling on both sides of the ball, this team has the opportunity to run the table.

stingthemgood said:
I will receive grief for this - but I strongly believe this 2024 team is the most talented group of players we have ever assembled at Sac State... Look at it this way, using the players that left before 2023 as examples --

Dorian Hale was going to be the third string QB and decided to go to JUCO and now has an FBS scholarship at QB.
Billy Lutui didn't see the field much for us, but at Portland State he started the first nine games before getting injured, two at DT and seven at RG, where he is the projected started going into next season.
Ayodele Adeoye was first team all-Southland Conference and we were much better without the headaches he caused us on the field with his dirty play, and in the locker room where reports do not show him in a glowing light.

We lost our backup punter and holder Connor Stutz postseason to a FBS scholarship offer (he was paying his own way at Sac State, no ill will toward him for that).

Talent doesn't win ballgames solely, as we saw in 2023. But with some better injury luck and some better play calling on both sides of the ball, this team has the opportunity to run the table.

No heat from me on this - and I' know I'm a 50% doomer. As others have said, the transfer portal did not kill us this offseason, guys seem bought in - which I was worried about.

The three biggest losses are probably Fulcher, Bailey, and Martin. I think we have some reliable LB depth now where we can fill the loss of Bailey (and maybe even improved a little bit in pass coverage). Losing Martin hurts, but we're losing a shell of his Jr. year self. He gutted out the entire year after that injury in Q1 at Nicholls and he was loyal to Sac State. He will forever be a legend. Kuntz has a lot to live up to, but I think he showed last year that he has the potential to be a playmaker at TE as well. The backfield has a myriad of options to replace Fulcher as the primary. I think with all the talent in that room, and ETT hopefully developing some more, that position won't be a problem.

QB situation is going to be interesting once again. I'm guessing we see Bennett, Camp, and Conklin all throughout the season. Bennett is the best playmaker, Camp is seasoned and hasn't had a chance to play while healthy, and Conklin is the clear, clear future.

If the coaches can gel and get these guys playing angry and motivated like @Stanford every week, year, this team could run the table with nearly everyone returning. I still think we drop 2-3 games (anything more would be disappointing). 9-3 or better is another step forward for the program in my opinion, and solidifies us as national title contenders, west coast power, and candidates to move up.

stingthemgood said:

Sting:

No heat from me, either. There were some major concerns last year, but the jist of what I read from all the fans is that the vast majority of them were coaching-related vice talent related. If those coaching concerns are addressed and the talent pans out, I think we stand a great chance of doing just like you stated at the end of your piece. Fresneck DOES give me SOME cause for concern, but it's not like they're Georgia, either. While I have them as our only loss, I wouldn't be surprised with a win there, either.

An outstanding statement, Sting. Thank you for it.

stingthemgood said:

No grief from me. It makes perfect sense.

They just added one of their stronger recruiting classes, which will be among a collection of like 3 or 4 strong recruiting classes in a row. They’re attracting talent they wouldn’t have attracted before because the program is seen as a “winner”.

They really should be fielding one of their more talented and deepest rosters, no doubt.

And, putting my SDHornet hat on, we still have to skate through the graduate portal transfer period without losing anyone. The biggest potential losses on that front would be Broussard and Gibson.

Craig Haley think we will be very good next year with all
We have coming back - has us as #7.

https://theanalyst.com/2024/01/never-too-early-outlook-for-2024-fcs-season-sdsu-seeing-bison-in-rear-view-mirror/

“ Sacramento State returns quarterbacks Kaiden Bennett and Carson Conklin, and, just as importantly, its five starters up front. Safety Cameron Broussard is coming off a banner campaign.”

Latest posts

Back