• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2024 Schedule/Dates Finalized

Kadeezy

I know a lot of these opponents were known, but now the order and days are coming together.

Next year is a year where we can play 12 games because of where Labor Day lands on the calendar every 4th year. So, there's a second play-up game...

7 Road, 5 Home. Miss Montana, Idaho, and UNC in BSC play.

Aug. 31 @ San Jose State
Sept. 7 @ Fresno State
Sept. 14 Nicholls
Sept. 21 @ Texas A&M-CC
Sept. 28 @ Northern Arizona
Oct. 12 Eastern Washington
Oct. 19 Weber State
Oct. 26 @ Idaho State
Nov. 2 Portland State
Nov. 9 @ Montana State
Nov. 16 @ Cal Poly
Nov. 23 UC Davis

BuckeyeHornetFan said:
That’s a schedule that in years past 0-2 was pretty much a guarantee.

Not so much anymore.

To me that schedule screams 7-4 or 6-5 going into the Causeway Classic game...

I see that being 9-3 or 8-4 season in 24’.
Assuming SJSU stays impotent?
We fix our execution, clean up penalties etc and get back to scoring points.
Fresno State / Montana State / UCD are the wars.

I guess big Sky rotated us out of the regular Montana Griz matchup as well as Idaho

Kadeezy said:
BuckeyeHornetFan said:

Not so much anymore.

I need to see the rest of this season unfold then signing day then any portal additions/losses before I could even begin to predict a record for 2024.

I don't...I can easily see nine wins or more. I'll even bet you that $100 you owe me...even though you will mostly likely welch on that bet too.

BuckeyeHornetFan said:
Kadeezy said:
BuckeyeHornetFan said:

Not so much anymore.

I need to see the rest of this season unfold then signing day then any portal additions/losses before I could even begin to predict a record for 2024.

Agreed. With the portal being what it is, we have no idea who will stick around and who won't...and that goes for all those teams on our schedule as well. Defense has 7 seniors starting this season, for all the griping about our defense, it is a better one than a season ago. Not sure how it all shakes out with the 2020 season so maybe some of those senior return, but we could potentially be seeing 7 new starters on that side of the ball.

Our offense should be fine though, again assuming we avoid key defections. It only takes a desperate FBS program the waive some NIL money at a player and see if they get a bite.

OldSchoolHornet said:
I don't...I can easily see nine wins or more. I'll even bet you that $100 you owe me...even though you will mostly likely welch on that bet too.

Good lord, I thought you died!

Good to know the biggest tool on this forum is still hanging around haunting it. Thanks for giving us all the heads up.

In all seriousness, you really should seek some professional help. You’re completely detached from reality, making up your own. Most of all, you contribute nothing to this forum and instead mistake it for a place to stalk and taunt people you’ve never met. That ain’t healthy. There really is more to life.

Seek some help, please.

I’ll rest easy knowing I tried….

SDHornet said:
Agreed. With the portal being what it is, we have no idea who will stick around and who won't...and that goes for all those teams on our schedule as well. Defense has 7 seniors starting this season, for all the griping about our defense, it is a better one than a season ago. Not sure how it all shakes out with the 2020 season so maybe some of those senior return, but we could potentially be seeing 7 new starters on that side of the ball.

Our offense should be fine though, again assuming we avoid key defections. It only takes a desperate FBS program the waive some NIL money at a player and see if they get a bite.

Plus, some existing players might just develop and improve. And step up.

We got a glimpse of that possibility last night with Carson Conklin’s performance. I mean, if his future looks anything like last night — this offense might really take off.

Gotta mention Zeke Burnett too. He looked fantastic as well.

My contribution is to call you out for posting a bet on this site and then being a douche bag and not paying up when two members call you on the bet. That's not stalking you, it's just pointing out your resemblance to poultry defecation.

And I'm predicting nine or more wins next season.

Now that we know a little more about who came and who went from our roster and others - here's my way too early 2024 Prediction...

Aug. 31 @ San Jose State (L 44-21)
Sept. 7 @ Fresno State (L 35-14)
Sept. 14 Nicholls (W 33-28)
Sept. 21 @ Texas A&M-CC (W 31-26)
Sept. 28 @ Northern Arizona (W 28-20)
Oct. 12 Eastern Washington (W 31-30)
Oct. 19 Weber State (W 24-20)
Oct. 26 @ Idaho State (W 48-44 OT)
Nov. 2 Portland State (W 24-7)
Nov. 9 @ Montana State (L 34-24)
Nov. 16 @ Cal Poly (W 33-30)
Nov. 23 UC Davis (W 28-24)

9-3 (7-1 BSC), possible 6-8 seed. Worst case, home playoff game Rd. 1.

San Joser just hired a very capable HC, maybe even better than the one who just left.
Fresnot has some ballers, I dont see us winning that away game.

Rest of schedule, I dont think more than 6-7 wins is doable with the curret playbook and play selection. Being able to score against anyone at anytime has left the stadium. I say 6-6, 7-5. :roll:

I feel we'll be a much more potent offense this year. KB and Conklin enter this year with valuable experience from last season, very different than our situation last year. I'm also optimistic the coaches will continue to grow and adapt based on the successes and failures of last season.

If we get the play-calling fixed

Aug. 31 @ San Jose State (W 35-24)
Sept. 14 Nicholls State (W 42-17)
Sept. 21 @ Texas A&M-CC (W 49-13)
Sept. 28 @ Northern Arizona (W 28-10)
Oct. 12 Eastern Washington (W 42-9)
Oct. 19 Weber State (W 27-15)
Oct. 26 @ Idaho State (W 56-24)
Nov. 2 Portland State (W 38-3)
Nov. 9 @ Montana State (W 34-24)
Nov. 16 @ Cal Poly (W 63-13)
Nov. 23 UC Davis (W 28-24)

11-1, #3 seed

If we DON'T get the play-calling fixed

Aug. 31 @ San Jose State (L 42-20)
Sept. 14 Nicholls State (W 28-24)
Sept. 21 @ Texas A&M-CC (W 35-28)
Sept. 28 @ Northern Arizona (W 28-27)
Oct. 12 Eastern Washington (W 24-21)
Oct. 19 Weber State (W 21-20)
Oct. 26 @ Idaho State (W 24-21)
Nov. 2 Portland State (W 17-10)
Nov. 9 @ Montana State (L 49-7)
Nov. 16 @ Cal Poly (W 23-20)
Nov. 23 UC Davis (L 28-14)

8-4, play-in road game

Super Hornet - Nailed it!
It will come down to If Bobby F. has himself prepared to lead the offense this season with precision. Premier play callers ONLY please! 🙏🏻

We've been a perennial playoff contender since 2019. Anyone thinking we won't be in the mix for post-season play in '24 hasn't been paying attention for the past 5 years. I'll hold off on a week by week prediction for now (there's still another portal session yet to happen) but this Hornet train ain't stopping anytime soon and there's still plenty of room on the train even for the most ardent of doomers (looking at you GCM).

Stingers Up!

50cent-seeya.gif

SDHornet said:
We've been a perennial playoff contender since 2019. Anyone thinking we won't be in the mix for post-season play in '24 hasn't been paying attention for the past 5 years. I'll hold off on a week by week prediction for now (there's still another portal session yet to happen) but this Hornet train ain't stopping anytime soon and there's still plenty of room on the train even for the most ardent of doomers (looking at you GCM).

Stingers Up!

Or perhaps they have been paying attention?

Not to completely disagree with you, but rather to play devils advocate --- the biggest part of the engine that re-defined this program for the past 5 years departed a season ago. As did their most impactful players. Consequentially 2023 ended up as the worst record of the past 5 years (4 seasons). And the offense and defense took noticeable steps backward. There were also some very poor performances (blowouts) that weren't occurring from 2019 to 2022.

A reasonably rational fan could argue that the above represents the first step toward a decline. However, conversely, a reasonably rational fan could argue that it was a transition season under a new and first ever head coach and offensive coordinator, but with much of the previous puzzle still in place, and that this upcoming season will ultimately provide a tell-tale sign of what the future might hold.

I'm inclined to include myself as a believer in the latter.

That said, I see your reasoning for the team being in the mix for post-season play in '24 as misguided and false. I'm not suggesting they won't be in the mix or that they won't qualify, but rather that citing the past 5 years (4 seasons) -- 3 of which were under a different HC and OC -- as evidence is faulty. Because those paying attention during that entire time frame would also realize that things have changed the past 15 months.

Taylor left. Skattebo left. Multiple other key players, including the highly productive QB duo, graduated. Thus the team's record regressed to a level below 2019, 2021 and 2022. You'd have to be blind not to acknowledge any of that. Not only that, the team was quite fortunate to be awarded a playoff birth last season. Had they not lucked out in that regard, 2023 would have represented the only season since 2018 (in which they participated) that they didn't qualify. It very easily could have happened, as they weren't shoe-ins as in previous seasons as conference champs.

The point is, there are valid reasons to question the upcoming season and beyond without being a "doomer". Again, I'm with you wrt to remaining positive (or at least cautiously optimistic) until proven otherwise. I'm expecting this season to be better than the last. But I do see 2024 as a pivotal season. If they regress a tad more, it might be time for concern. If they improve, it might be a sign that this program is indeed in it for the long haul.

Good post, here's my long retort. My reasoning is based on more than just the last 5 years. Anyone that had to endure the suckitude that has largely been Hornet football in the D1-era understands how far this program has come. We are where we are largely due to the wherewithal by the admin, Nelsen, to make the investment into the program which resulted in Taylor coming here. Yes, Taylor gets credited with the success and stature that currently surrounds this program, but this program is bigger than one person and the more important part of this success is having leadership with the stones to finally make a significant investment into the program.

Regarding all the uncertainty with changes and whatnot, we'll have to agree to disagree. If things were going to fall apart, it would have happened this season and the result of which would have culminated in a mass exit of players via the portal. That didn't happen and the departure of Taylor, while unfortunate, wasn't as devastating as the doomers and pundits anticipated. Not only did this staff and team embarrass Taylor and his multi-million dollar contract at a program with an annual budget in the $10's of millions in the win at the Farm, but they also overcame a litany of injuries to key players and earned a road playoff win (matching Taylor's playoff win total) against a tough MVFC opponent.

Most of the dooming comes from folks just unable to get over the Taylor departure and over assess Taylor's credit for the day to day operations that made the program what it is. After this season's accomplishments, any notion of Hornet football regressing to our previous levels of suckitude are completely unfounded so long as this current staff is in place and our admin continues to fund this program at a competitive level.

I was bullish on this program heading into the '23 season for many reasons. First, we had/have the right leadership in place willing to make the right decisions and maintain investment in this program. Nelsen/Orr did the right thing and promoted a very experienced coordinator that knows the BSC well (Andy Thompson) and much of the staff that built this program under Taylor was retained. These coaches want to be here and that's a testament to the leadership we had/have in place.

Second, I believe the program Taylor built up was proven to be solid and more than just his coaching acumen. This season's success under a new staff substantiated this belief. 3rd, we had some absolute studs on the roster that returned and I trusted the additions to the roster brought in by the new staff would contribute to what was already here. That happened. If we stayed healthy, we would have had another win or two. Yes there were some coaching snafu's but there were also some under Taylor. I trust that this staff will continue to grow into their new roles.

Lastly and most importantly, some of my bravado on this board/topic is rooted in pure bias with the goal of providing entertaining yet factual internet banter. When your alma mater dominates the BSC for 3 years, that bravado is rightly justified and I will never live it down.

I get that doomers are gonna doom, but the idea that all the progress made was all Taylor's doing completely misses the mark. We're a perennial championship/postseason contender, as proven by this past season, and that mentality should be embraced. I'm still very bullish on this program and its odds in '24. At a glance, I agree with SH's assessment of the season and believe our floor (barring a rash of injuries to key players) is 8 wins.

Stingers Up!

I admit that I was concerned with some inconsistent play this past year. I was afraid there were some leadership or locker room problems. But after securing a top recruiting class and not losing kids in the transfer portal, most of that concern went away.

Makes more sense now that it was just a transition year combined with a tough conference schedule. Add in there that the team was bouncing between QBs. A young QB struggling on the road made things look a little more sloppy.

I'm optimistic.

We also have to remember that the '22 season was an undefeated regular season and an appearance in the quarterfinal that featured the most prolific Hornet offense in program history. There was always going to be a "regression" in '23 compared to '22 unless we ran the table and at least gotten to the quarterfinals again. Any season that features a postseason win is a success.

Latest posts

Back