• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2023 Portal Movement

HeavyistheClown said:
With the annual gutting of teams, the preseason prediction outlets are going to take a beating. How do you predict where Idaho will finish in ‘24 if they lost all their playmakers to the portal?

Nowhere near how they finished in 2023, that's for sure.

They'd take a steeper dive than the Hornets did this season after losing Taylor, Skattebo, O'Hara, Dunniway, Mapu and some other key seniors, as well as their slew of injuries to returning players.

Kadeezy said:
HeavyistheClown said:
With the annual gutting of teams, the preseason prediction outlets are going to take a beating. How do you predict where Idaho will finish in ‘24 if they lost all their playmakers to the portal?

If Hayden Hatten declares for the NFL draft and Eck leave, they're in big doo doo.

I heard Hatten was graduating as a grad student.

One thing I have noticed is that HS coaches are posting that not as much activity for their players because traditional FBS programs are heavy in the portal. Hence the reason we are seeing more 3 star kids…

HornetHope said:
One thing I have noticed is that HS coaches are posting that not as much activity for their players because traditional FBS programs are heavy in the portal. Hence the reason we are seeing more 3 star kids…

Right. Because they are going to go all-in fighting for the elite 4 and 5 star recruits and let the FCS and G5 programs develop the kids that aren't as considered as much of a "sure thing". But once those players prove themselves at the lower levels, they then covet them as 4 and 5 stars.

BHF, we'll just have to agree to disagree. College athletes have been getting paid for decades, NIL and now the pending Baker proposal just puts it all out in the open and makes it legit as well as increases the opportunity for more players to get paid. I don't buy into the guise that college athletics is all about the educational opportunity. The amateurism model has been dumped long ago and I'm glad the powers that be are no longer pretending that it's still a thing.

Any comparisons to the "student athletes" and regular students is laughable. Students can absolutely leverage their skills in the marketplace for more money in their respective field/industry. In fact, they would be remiss not to do so. Now "student athletes" are allowed to do so as well. As an ardent American capitalist that loves freedom, I am grateful that these athletes now get the chance to partake in the marketplace just like everyone else. Allowing people the freedom to make money off of their skills and abilities is exactly why this country is so great.

I get where you and the other traditionalists are coming from, but the times have long changed since the original amateurism model was implemented. You don't have to like or agree with the direction college athletics is heading, you just have to accept it.

BSCfan said:
Kadeezy said:
https://x.com/connorstutz11/status/1731714103994159259?s=46

This one doesn't surprise me. Stutz is a good punter, unfortunately he's a traditional style punter as opposed to a roll out punter and right now our blocking and coverage on punts is more geared to roll out style. In addition to having a nice leg when he has punted for us, he's done a really nice job as a holder the past two years.

I wish him all the best wherever he ends up at.

Looks like Stutz found a home. I hope everything works out for him.
https://twitter.com/connorstutz11/status/1735467898792243592?t=_19vZoAl07SYqyZIwIoSpg&s=19

Hatten foregoes final year of eligibility, declares for NFL.

https://x.com/hayden_hatten88/status/1735707893872386440?s=46

Late round pick or UDFA…

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Hayden-Hatten-WR-Idaho

Skattebo posting from Sacramento - obviously here for the holidays. It would be hilarious/amazing if he portaled back! 😂

Kadeezy said:
Skattebo posting from Sacramento - obviously here for the holidays. It would be hilarious/amazing if he portaled back! 😂

I don’t think I could handle booing every time he touched the ball in a season with an extra game.

Kadeezy said:
Is Stutz our only confirmed portal loss?

There are guys in the portal from our club... but they don't seem to be actively promoting themselves. So at the moment, yes, looks like we might luck out.

We also have too many guys currently... so some will end up having their hopes dashed at the end of Spring camp I'm afraid.

stingthemgood said:
We also have too many guys currently... so some will end up having their hopes dashed at the end of Spring camp I'm afraid.

Sting: Is this in terms of the FCS schollie limit, or is there an overall roster limit of which I'm not aware? Are you seeing some quality walk-ons who might stick around? Are there some potential grey-shirts, or those who could use the 4-2-4 route?

Personally, so long as one isn't over an upper limit, I'm not a fan of the stunt His Neonness pulled before this season. I think it's good to have a good supply of walk-ons for depth and development purposes....

Super Hornet 2.0 said:
stingthemgood said:

Sting: Is this in terms of the FCS schollie limit, or is there an overall roster limit of which I'm not aware? Are you seeing some quality walk-ons who might stick around? Are there some potential grey-shirts, or those who could use the 4-2-4 route?

Personally, so long as one isn't over an upper limit, I'm not a fan of the stunt His Neonness pulled before this season. I think it's good to have a good supply of walk-ons for depth and development purposes....

A rule change approved for 2024 and beyond this year is a game changer in roster management. The NCAA dropped the 25 counters rule, so teams can now bring in more than 25 player classes. With our incoming class and the sheer volume of returners -- there are basically no opportunities for guys who are not on scholarship right now to earn one. There are also some position rooms that are completely bloated. We have 10 returners in the safety room. We have 13 returning WRs. When you only have 63 scholarships, and most of those guys are on it -- that's a LOT.

Thank you for the clarification, Sting. Under those circumstances, I can easily see how it might be hard to keep people around. Not many borderline schollie/walk-on people would stick around as a walk-on unless their academic heart is set on Sac State. They're probably more likely to find another FCS school or perhaps drop to D-II. The only other option would be to give up the idea of a schollie and either stick around at Sac or go to the Pioneer. And that would be a bitter pill for a lot of guys to swallow....

Stealing one from the Vandals, Murvin Kenion III DB
https://x.com/swervmurv/status/1747678983955898685?s=46&t=uYvfekG4Bo9LnN13NfM7fw

Major pickup for Sac State, Makai Cope WR from Utah
https://x.com/makaicope/status/1747667425389404202?s=46&t=uYvfekG4Bo9LnN13NfM7fw

Sac_hornets said:
Stealing one from the Vandals, Murvin Kenion III DB
https://x.com/swervmurv/status/1747678983955898685?s=46&t=uYvfekG4Bo9LnN13NfM7fw

Steps into Nelson’s role Day 1! Great player.

Idalol must be a bad place to play, they lose players like a sieve. Some moved to FBS to ride the pine, but their whole team seems gutted this year.

HeavyistheClown said:
Idalol must be a bad place to play, they lose players like a sieve. Some moved to FBS to ride the pine, but their whole team seems gutted this year.
Very interesting indeed! I recently spoke with an Idaho insider and he had no idea why this is happening other than some of these kids either just wanted to move up or go back closer to home.

He didn’t think they would have much a drop off because of the new recruits coming in, or moving into starting rolls, but I think he is delusional not to see a steep drop off!

Latest posts

Back