• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2023 Portal Movement

Kadeezy said:
https://x.com/connorstutz11/status/1731714103994159259?s=46

This one doesn't surprise me. Stutz is a good punter, unfortunately he's a traditional style punter as opposed to a roll out punter and right now our blocking and coverage on punts is more geared to roll out style. In addition to having a nice leg when he has punted for us, he's done a really nice job as a holder the past two years.

I wish him all the best wherever he ends up at.

Looks like we offered an experienced D2 OL, from California originally, according to his Twitter he is getting a lot of FCS and a G5 FBS offer
https://x.com/luis_martinez62/status/1732804279851700353?s=46&t=zsm5JPcTYAaQBHrpzmji-g

From STATS, Idaho crumbling…

Since Idaho's season came to an end in the FCS quarterfinals Saturday night, QB Gevani McCoy (2022 Jerry Rice Award recipient), RB Anthony Woods and CB Marcus Harris have entered the NCAA transfer portal, per RivalsPortal on X.

Kadeezy said:
From STATS, Idaho crumbling…

Since Idaho's season came to an end in the FCS quarterfinals Saturday night, QB Gevani McCoy (2022 Jerry Rice Award recipient), RB Anthony Woods and CB Marcus Harris have entered the NCAA transfer portal, per RivalsPortal on X.

Too bad, so sad. Not!
Hope Eck is gone too.

EWU trustees want them to drop to D2 or NAIA for all sports. Big Sky is imploding.

Idaho vandals won’t be elite next season if all of those key players actually leave. Montana Griz & Montana State will continue to be our toughest challengers at this rate.

Let’s hope we keep our skilled players and get a solid recruiting class signed…

HornetFootballFan said:
Idaho vandals won’t be elite next season if all of those key players actually leave. Montana Griz & Montana State will continue to be our toughest challengers at this rate.

All the Quarterfinalists that lost are seeing players dump out. MSU and Furman lost 3-4 as well. Idaho had the biggest loss as most of production came from these 2 and the WR that announced earlier. With all the kids dumping out I am wondering if there is roster tampering going on.

HornetHope said:
HornetFootballFan said:

All the Quarterfinalists that lost are seeing players dump out. MSU and Furman lost 3-4 as well. Idaho had the biggest loss as most of production came from these 2 and the WR that announced earlier. With all the kids dumping out I am wondering if there is roster tampering going on.

I think it's just the market place of college football now. Players can go out and get a bag at a "bigger" profile school. Nothing wrong with chasing money, we all do it everyday when we wake up and punch that clock and I don't view the portal any differently than folks looking for a "better" opportunity in the real world. There's no guarantee players that hit the portal will leave their respective program, but if they price is right then they are probably moving on. A negative side effect of the portal is that FCS programs are essentially feeder programs for the FBS programs as the top talent is highly likely to get poached.

As to why we aren't or haven't seen many impact Hornets hit the portal this year, who knows. I'd like to believe it's the strong culture that has been built in this program over the past handful of years, but could be that maybe outsiders don't perceive our players to have much value worthy of a poaching. The portal period is a month long so maybe some Hornet players are slow playing it. Either way, I'm not going to pretend like our roster wouldn't get ravaged following a stellar season, we saw our top running back get poached last season. So long as this coaching staff is on top of it with respect to doing what they can to retain the talent on the roster and recruiting from the portal to bring in new talent, we'll be just fine.

SDHornet said:
I think it's just the market place of college football now. Players can go out and get a bag at a "bigger" profile school. Nothing wrong with chasing money, we all do it everyday when we wake up and punch that clock and I don't view the portal any differently than folks looking for a "better" opportunity in the real world.

Love ya, SD, but your attitude with all this transfer portal and NIL garbage continues to miss the mark.

People who punch a clock everyday are in their careers and paid “professionally” so-to-speak. Same applies to the coaches when they move around for other opportunities. They’ve already gone through college and found their careers.

These young adults are “student athletes” still in college and still trying to forge their careers. They are NOT supposed to be professionals yet.

You wouldn’t consider a medical student still in college a Doctor yet just because they are eventually going to be one. Well, the same applies to these college players. They are still being educated, not just in the classroom but in their athletic endeavor too. They are being developed.

Comparing them to those that have already graduated from school and those that skipped college but otherwise found and forged a professional career is downright silly. It’s not the same thing!

“Chasing money” is what is supposed to happen AFTER leaving school — not while in it. That precisely what’s wrong and broken with collegiate and now even high school athletics.

Kids in college developing their skills for their future profession are not the same as those that are already employed and working in their profession.

Why you can’t differentiate and discriminate between the two puzzles me.

HornetHope said:

When the transfer rules changed and the portal was put in place, along with NIL going into effect, many predicted the end result would be most college programs becoming “feeder programs” for the elite P5 programs.

Well, that’s essentially what’s happening. The FCS will be a feeder for all the FBS and the G5 will be a feeder for the P5.

The relevant FBS programs will solely recruit the 3, 4 and 5 star kids only then cherry pick from the lower level programs that developed the kids they didn’t want out of HS.

And that system will continue to work largely because most these kids won’t have any loyalty to those that believed in them from the get-go and won’t have disdain towards those that didn’t believe in them and only became interest once they proved themselves elsewhere.

And NIL is the cherry on top that seals the deal because the established FBS programs — especially the elite P5 programs — are the ones with deep pocketed boosters and the cache/brand name to generate the NIL money.

It’s taking some time, but the collapse of college sports as we once knew it is far underway.

Like most everything, nothing will be done to remedy the situation until it’s too late.

HornetHope said:
HornetFootballFan said:

There is absolutely rampant tampering at all levels.

With the annual gutting of teams, the preseason prediction outlets are going to take a beating. How do you predict where Idaho will finish in ‘24 if they lost all their playmakers to the portal?

HeavyistheClown said:
With the annual gutting of teams, the preseason prediction outlets are going to take a beating. How do you predict where Idaho will finish in ‘24 if they lost all their playmakers to the portal?

If Hayden Hatten declares for the NFL draft and Eck leave, they're in big doo doo.

Idaho loses another all big Sky performer, their 5th?

https://x.com/1wayterez/status/1734609821855609081?s=46

Latest posts

Back