• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Women's 2017-2018 season thread

Brian

Staff member
Heck of a win to beat #25 ranked DePaul on their home court in Chicago. With their difficult non-conference schedule that includes a home game against LSU who are receiving some top 25 votes. We also play Liberty University (which amazes me that anyone considers them an institution of higher education, so I hope we throttle them).

And, they improve to 2-0 with another nice road win over DU. Hopefully they can pack the gym for their home opener against LSU on Wednesday.

That is really awesome. I am impressed they could get a team like LSU to play us in Greeley and the fact that we have now beat a top 25 team in DePaul and a major SEC program in LSU speaks really well for what they are doing.
They still have a trip to New York and some home games (including BYU and CSU) before they start conference play. What a fun season this could be.

Bears are ranked #16 in the nation using the real time RPI rankings. http://realtimerpi.com/college_Women_basketball_rpi.html
Take it with a huge grain of salt (UConn is ranked 266 because they have only played 1 D1 team and their strength of schedule rank is 322 (vs UNC's 50)).

It's still cool though.

4-0 after their win against San Francisco. They seem to get off to slow starts but it looks like they dominated the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Now they are off to an east coast swing visiting Hamden, CT and the Bronx, NY.

Well, after a low scoring trip out east where they only scored 49 and 33 points in their 2 games (82 total), they come home and score 79 in an OT win against BYU.

2 more home games against Pacific and CSU before heading to Kansas City for a pair then they start conference play.

The women went on the road and beat UMKC and Liberty to closeout the non-conference schedule in some style. An 8-3 start (4-1 at home) with some massive wins against big opponents really sets us up well for Big Sky play.
I really wanted the Liberty win (as odd as it sounds) as I have a great distain for that "school".

1-0 in conference play with a nice road win at EWU.

Our current real time RPI is 59 ahead of teams like North Carolina (that other UNC), Kentucky, Virginia and Alabama. Pretty cool. This is where I rant a bit about conference tournaments for the smaller conferences that only get one team in the NCAA tournament. I hate it that a team can go 16-2 in conference play and end up not representing the conference in the tournament because they got upset in the title game by a 9-9 team. I would rather call it a day at the end of the regular season.

Top 20 in the mid-major poll:

1. FGCU (21) 14-3 762 3 Atlantic Sun
2. Green Bay (9) 11-2 716 1 Horizon
3. South Dakota State 10-4 693 2 Summit
4. Belmont (1) 12-3 680 4 Ohio Valley
5. Elon 9-3 593 6 Colonial
6. Princeton 10-3 569 8 Ivy League
7. Ball State 11-1 554 5 Mid-American
8. Mercer 13-2 537 10 Southern
9. Central Michigan 9-3 490 13 Mid-American
10. Buffalo 10-2 468 9 Mid-American
11. Chattanooga 9-5 425 12 Southern
12. UC Davis 10-3 423 7 Big West
13. Wright State 10-4 408 11 Horizon
14. Northern Colorado 10-3 393 14 Big Sky
15. Gonzaga 9-4 369 15 West Coast
16. Navy 11-1 336 16 Patriot
17. Quinnipiac 8-5 317 17 Metro Atlantic
18. New Hampshire 9-4 282 18 America East
19. Albany 11-2 219 19 America East
20. Western Illinois 11-3 163 20 Summit
21. IUPUI 9-3 102 23 Horizon
22. Drexel 10-4 82 NR Colonial
23. Penn 6-4 75 NR Ivy League
24. Brown 11-1 70 25 Ivy League
25. American 9-4 51 NR Patriot

I was wondering about that also. She was one of the starters and was doing a good job. I hope it was her decision and didn't do something that made them get rid of her. You don't just get rid of someone for no reason and you don't just quit for the heck of it.

Hope she's ok. She was a good player.

This team is still a force to be reckoned with and now stands alone atop the BSC. And the remaining schedule is against bottom-half teams, whereas current second-place Idaho still has matchups with Weber and Montana.

Guessing Savannah Scott's "serious knee injury" is ok, or there would be news otherwise?

From the Greeley Tribune:

"...Scott hit the floor going for a layup and writhed in pain.

Scott, who laid under the basket for more than five minutes while being attended to, returned to the bench with her left leg in a splint and wrapped in ice....

A final analysis of her knee injury won't be known until Monday.

...Savannah Scott went down with a serious knee injury."

bearadactyl said:
Guessing Savannah Scott's "serious knee injury" is ok, or there would be news otherwise?

From the Greeley Tribune:

"...Scott hit the floor going for a layup and writhed in pain.

Scott, who laid under the basket for more than five minutes while being attended to, returned to the bench with her left leg in a splint and wrapped in ice....

A final analysis of her knee injury won't be known until Monday.

...Savannah Scott went down with a serious knee injury."

From last night's recap:

"Injuries — including last week's knee injury to senior Savannah Scott — have left the Bears a bit thin.

Smith, who is listed as day-to-day, sat at the end of the bench next to her set of crutches."

Assuming the Tribune meant Scott not Smith here, and day to day is the update. That's good news.

What an absolute gem of a season. Big Sky Champions in the regular season and Big Sky tournament champions. I really hope the y get a decent seed so they don't have to play a #1 seed. I say maybe a #13 seed or so.

Latest posts

Back