• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Western Oregon

Chex

With the home opener a week away. I thought I’d start the topic up. The bright spot about this game is most of the roster will get playing time and the offense will get some game experience.

Should be fun to get back out to Stewart Stadium. It’s a tough schedule this year (5th toughest in FCS—with Western Oregon on schedule). The winning season streak could be put to the test. On the flip side, a lot of close games last year were a couple of plays away from a win, so maybe execution will be better. The Montana State game was a big example. A couple of passes to wide open receivers or confidence in the kicking game, and that would have been a win.

I’m hoping Weisser gets the starting job as I think he is a better passer and runner. If not, hopefully Barron will improve and benefit from a healthy running back corp.

It will be good to have football back!

It’s kind of a bummer opening vs a D2 but it may be a good thing for us, we have a lot of fresh faces stepping into the starting lineup this year. Hoping it goes as well as our last game vs a D2.

Chex said:
With the home opener a week away. I thought I’d start the topic up. The bright spot about this game is most of the roster will get playing time and the offense will get some game experience.

Should be fun to get back out to Stewart Stadium. It’s a tough schedule this year (5th toughest in FCS—with Western Oregon on schedule). The winning season streak could be put to the test. On the flip side, a lot of close games last year were a couple of plays away from a win, so maybe execution will be better. The Montana State game was a big example. A couple of passes to wide open receivers or confidence in the kicking game, and that would have been a win.

I’m hoping Weisser gets the starting job as I think he is a better passer and runner. If not, hopefully Barron will improve and benefit from a healthy running back corp.

It will be good to have football back!
Bronson Barron has won the QB1 spot and rightfully so. He is the best we have right now. The injury and a bad O last year made everything and everybody look worse than they really were.

I kind of expect us to work on our passing game against WO. There is no reason to get any of our #1s banged up. I expect to see a lot of quick, short passes and most of the depth chart in our RBs. We may also see all of our QBs at some point in this game. I only expect to see the #1s for a quarter or so. I'm sure that WO wil be up to play us and that enthusiasm may keep them in the game for a short time. Depends on how tight our #1 defense is.

I look at this as a good way to get over the first game jitters.

Wow, it’s sounding like Kevin Smith may be out for the year. I remember how he ran the ball in the 2017 playoffs and thought he would have such a great career. It’s been one bad break after another. What a bummer.

Game notes

https://weberstatesports.com/news/2022/8/29/football-game-week-weber-state-opens-2022-season-thursday

Excited to get up to Stewart Stadium! It’s going to be a hot one…might be hard on the players and cramping might occur, I just hope no injuries occur in what should be a tuneup game. I prefer the Fall weather, but will just enjoy the Summer stretch we have left.

It will be fun to see the new offensive scheme and likely a lot of players will get a lot of playing time.

It will be great to see the fans! Glad football is here because Cubs baseball sucks something awful this year.

Go Wildcats!

Glad Football is back. This is a good game to get some early jitters out of our system. Especially with USU on the horizon. I want to see our offense move the ball and score some points. Our defense will do enough it always does. But I want to see some improvement from the offense.

Cant wait to get back up to Stewart Stadium tomorrow.

It's just a matter of hours now.

It seems like a long time coming.

The BSC looks just as tough as ever.

We have a chance to get back to where we were before the disapointment of last season.

I'm excited to see the new O. It has been said that it employs a lot of misdirection. I hope that is true.

I fully believe that our D will be just as good as always.

There seems to be a buz in the air around WSU FB. :nod:

Tough to get any handle on the team from this game. I’m never one wanting to run up a score when you have the game in complete control, but the total yards and running game for WSU wasn’t really impressive…most of the points came off short field opportunities.

I was hoping Weisser would be in on second drive in 3rd quarter, but basically only got one drive to play.

Nothing got me thinking this team is much improved from last year, but I guess we will find out.

Weber State will probably be on the other side of this score next week in Logan. Maybe the Utah Tech game will be somewhat of a measuring stick.

While the offense didn’t overwhelm, at least it was more of a system and not a spaghetti at the wall approach Hammer had.

I got there a little late (wife and kids came). The shuttle from the Dee was good on the way there, but when I left at the end of the third, waited forever before finally trudging the family back to the Dee. It was a very sparse crowd. Hope they can get that figured out better for future games.

I felt good about our matchup with Utah State after they struggled with UConn but I just didn’t see anything to make me think we’re back to a level where we can compete for a conference championship. QB is erratic, never sets his feet or throws in rhythm. Every throw comes from a different arm angle. Offensive line wasn’t moving anyone. I dunno, it looked a whole lot like last year’s team.

Chex said:
Tough to get any handle on the team from this game. I’m never one wanting to run up a score when you have the game in complete control, but the total yards and running game for WSU wasn’t really impressive…most of the points came off short field opportunities.

I was hoping Weisser would be in on second drive in 3rd quarter, but basically only got one drive to play.

Nothing got me thinking this team is much improved from last year, but I guess we will find out.

Weber State will probably be on the other side of this score next week in Logan. Maybe the Utah Tech game will be somewhat of a measuring stick.

While the offense didn’t overwhelm, at least it was more of a system and not a spaghetti at the wall approach Hammer had.

I got there a little late (wife and kids came). The shuttle from the Dee was good on the way there, but when I left at the end of the third, waited forever before finally trudging the family back to the Dee. It was a very sparse crowd. Hope they can get that figured out better for future games.

Pretty easy to figure it out...little excitement against a non-Div I, unusually hot temps, no promotions offered (?), week night game, etc....for the "casual" fan base at Weber State. History easily shows illustrations. The late fall weather FCS playoffs at home draw paltry crowds. Inexcusable in my mind, but it is what it is. This fan realizes as was said here that a game like this has some Pros - more players getting some PT, etc., but the Cons are there & it's not a good measurement of team performance. I agree that maybe the Utah Tech game will be somewhat of a better measuring stick. Give the "O" a chance to gel, & hope for no injuries in the Aggie game next. :thumb:

I have two concerns: 1. OL was getting beat by DII players. 2. QB is erratic and impatient. Other than these two glaring issues, the team should be fine. Too bad these are the two most important positions if you want to score points. Interesting, they were both practically ignored during recruiting periods.

N.OgdenCat said:
I have two concerns: 1. OL was getting beat by DII players. 2. QB is erratic and impatient. Other than these two glaring issues, the team should be fine. Too bad these are the two most important positions if you want to score points. Interesting, they were both practically ignored during recruiting periods.

I agree on both your points. I know people think I beat up on Barron, but he basically has two seasons under his belt, and he is not showing the development or growth one would expect. I still think his best game was his first start in Pocatello. I don’t think you have to ride it out three more years and hitch the wagon to him. I was thinking the OC would bring a QB with him he knew that could execute his playbook. Some are saying the injuries and O line were to blame, but a healthy Barron didn’t really look sharp vs a DII team, which makes me nervous for BSC play. Hoping it’s just opening game jitters and he becomes top level QB material…just not seeing the results.

For all the talk of the running game and the O line being good, they didn’t overwhelm the Wolves.

Defense should be solid, but wanted to see more strides with the Offense. I think UTU and UC Davis should be a better indicator. It seems it never lines up that Weber State plays USU when the Aggies are down and the Wildcats are great. USU should be looking to recover from playing Alabama, so I would be surprised if we keep the spread under 28 points. USU doesn’t usually dominate on defense, so maybe I’ll be surprised.

AlumniWSU said:
Chex said:

Pretty easy to figure it out...little excitement against a non-Div I, unusually hot temps, no promotions offered (?), week night game, etc....for the "casual" fan base at Weber State. History easily shows illustrations. The late fall weather FCS playoffs at home draw paltry crowds. Inexcusable in my mind, but it is what it is. This fan realizes as was said here that a game like this has some Pros - more players getting some PT, etc., but the Cons are there & it's not a good measurement of team performance. I agree that maybe the Utah Tech game will be somewhat of a better measuring stick. Give the "O" a chance to gel, & hope for no injuries in the Aggie game next. :thumb:

I was more complaining about the shuttle bus service. It sucked to walk three young boys to the Dee from Stewart Stadium trying to keep them safe. I expected there wouldn’t be much of a crowd. There should be more support from alumni and fans. It’s great entertainment value. You can afford to bring a family to a game now and then whereas no way you could do that other teams. Jay Hill puts a good team on the field. Maybe I get frustrated with the offense because the D is always so good.

I honestly prefer FCS football over FBS. FBS is becoming more and more corrupted by money and ESPN has basically ruined it. I honestly don’t get into it as much as I used to. FCS has it right. Conference winners gets auto bids…so every team has a legit shot at the title by winning on the field.

It’s an opener, and sometimes you play down to an opponent or you don’t play with the same fire. We’ll see what happens in Logan and the next two games to see what this team looks like. I was surprised to see the amount of penalties…that will need to cleaned up. Like you, I’m hoping that they stay injury free next week.

I would certainly agree that this was not the best we will see out of Barron. He missed on some wide open receivers. On the plus side, however, He completed about 60% of his passes and did not turn the ball over. He also had some effective scramble plays.

Our D did not give up a TD, even though it was mostly sophmores and freshmen for most of the second half.

Special teams giving up a safety was a shocker.

The new O looked really good for a first game. I liked all of the misdirection and the execution will get better as the season progresses.

The penalties hurt us more than anything else. That is one area to be addressed right away.

We now have a long week to get ready for USU. Our O will be going up against a much better D. Still, I would hope to see some improvement. :coffee:

The Dan said:
The new O looked really good for a first game.

What? Are you talking about Weber State?
Yes, the offense itself looked good. the misdirection and play calling was good. The errors came in the execution and those things can be cleaned up. For the first game, under a new OC, it went about as well as I thought it would. It will get better as we go. It's good that we got to expose where work is needed against a lesser team.

BTW, we just got a commitment from a 3* QB out of California. That gives us a 3* coming in next year and another one coming off a mission the following year.

Latest posts

Back