• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Weber State Thread

Vikes lose. I was at the game and was struck by the sheer number of turnovers, both forced directly by the defense and simple overthrows and bad plays.

The Vikes had a couple of nice runs in the second half, but could never capitalize at the right times. There were a couple of instances where Weber simply could not hold on to the ball, avoid making stupid fouls or just score, and the Vikes returned the favor on the other end.

All in all, a hard fought game and the only thing I can come away with is that both teams would easily kick the Utes ass.

Weber is a pretty solid team - I think the Vikes should take the home game though - it probably should have been closer in the end.

Thanks for the information...

What did you think of Morrison? He broke our single season block record last night with six more blocks...

He looked good - I forgot to mention there were lots of blocks too.
icon_smile.gif
In any case, I loved the hustle on the defensive end. The man D was tight and the zone was mixed in well. Weber didn't seem to want to shoot too many 3's.

Dupree can score, but he shouldn't play the point - I don't think he makes great decisions (of course, this is based on one game) - but he can drive and make some shots.

Sommer played a fairly solid game, but got t'ed up after a loose ball and foul call. He's a little fiesty, huh?

So yeah, this is the first time I've seen the Vikes and they are an entertaining team to watch - probably won't win the BSC by any means, but will be in the mix.

One more thing, it seemed like no matter who the Vikes had at center, they were significantly bigger. So they've got that going for them, which is nice.

But seems like they are struggling with chemistry like they did last year. Alot of these guys are new to the team so it seems to me that they don't know what each others strengths are and what they do during certain situations. Sommers has a attitude problem that gets him into trouble which is not good for either. Coach Bone needs to get him under control, his temper tamptrums can and will cost us games!

Our guys have been on a long road swing I hope that being home can re-energize them because they need to get something going or its gonna be a very disappointing season!

GoViks said:
Sommers has a attitude problem that gets him into trouble which is not good for either. Coach Bone needs to get him under control, his temper tamptrums can and will cost us games!

I agree. I have begun to like Jenkins as a starter. He seemed kind of wild at the start of the season. But he has definitely settled into the position.

We don't move the ball well at all and look more like an NBA team at times on offense.

Turnovers were a push, but the stat that shows what the difference between a win and a loss was assists.

WSU: 14
PSU: 7

Chemistry was mentioned and I totally agree. We should be clicking a lot more on offense at this point in the season than we are right now. Not sure if it's rotation or what the reason is that it's not coming together.

Regarding Jenkins running the point... Not sure I agree that this is the time for him to start. Yeah, no turnovers last night was good, but it was only in eight minutes of play. The talent is there, he just needs a little more time before he starts.

Oh, and here is a big problem too:

Juma. Ten shots total against NAU and WSU. This guy led the BSC (and the nation for a while) in three point average last year. His fouls away from the ball have to stop, and Bone has got to get him more shots...

Ruder seems to think the winner of the game next saturday will be the 6th seed in the tourney. However, I think as long as PSU wins their last 3 home games they should be in good shape, win or lose at EWU.

This one is a tough one to swallow. Yet another win that turns into a loss.

Our offense was horrible down the stretch. Just plain horrible. Going small seems to mean going isolation. This game reminded me of the WSU game two years ago in the BSC tourney where we made great defensive plays in the second half, but could not generate any points.

What is going on at the point? Jenkins can't run the point. He just doesn't see the floor. Damn near had another five second call on him tonight. Sommer seems to have had the offensive confidence pulled from him. He had about three good looks at three point shots tonight and didn't even think about shooting it. It didn't suprise me when he clanked those two FTs at the end of the game. I don't even think that he put up more than one or two shots in the game prior to that. Is it Bone that's doing this or is it just Sommer?

Oh, and for Bone... You allow non-team isolation play on offense, and that's what you'll get in crunch time. Dupree is a heck of a player and a heck of a scorer, but when double-teamed with under five seconds, you need to pass out of the double to get an open look for someone.

Again, I'm wondering why Scott Morrison is getting so few minutes. 4 blocks and two dunks in the first few minutes, and Bone pulls him and puts in Washington. 14 minutes played in the entire game? Does ANYBODY understand why he did this? Morrison is the BEST shot blocker in Portland State History. He needs 9 blocks to tie the career record with Seamus Boxley with 128, and he is only a Junior. He has 55 so far this season. That is called DOMINATION inside, and yet we pull him in order to let the other team score inside.

I think that if Scott got the minutes he deserves, he would easily be 1st team All Big Sky. As it is now, he doesn't get the minutes to have big numbers, so he will get overlooked.

To echo what you guys have said, the end of that game was a disaster. Last year, Sommer was one of the better point guards in the big sky, this year he is the worst starting point guard. I don't think either of them will start next year with Dominguez becoming eligible.
With 8 seconds left on the clock, I want three players in: Morrison, Lucas, and Kamara, any of whom can be a force offensively. Lucas was the only choice on the court, and he didn't have any room for the shot. Morrison was dominant offensively when he was in, and Juma was great. What is Bone doing?
With the exception of his recruiting, I'd fire him today.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Bone is not a good game coach. Second half collapses point to adjustments and coaching. Our offense in the second half looked like somthing you see on a playground. No movement and a ton of isolation. Bone finally went back to a big man (AW) and Weber decides to double on every entry pass. Rather than switching to Morrison who is better at passing out of a double, he leaves AW in and keeps going to him. I'll take AW on single coverage anyday of the week over Morrison. But I'll take Morrison anyday of the week over AW in a double team situation.

Heck, what about putting both big guys in during the second half? Weber concentrated on hitting the boards, why not turn that around on them?

Don't worry, the players are just as baffled by Bone's "tactics" (I say that generously) as you and I are. They're confused and disappointed by his decisions, and he's lost their respect as this BSC regular season has progressed.

See also Ian's blog, from before Thursday's game, as he questioned Bone, and Ian can't figure out why Morrison isn"t played more either. He's the team captain, and was the top scorer, rebounder and shot blocker, when he was being played, and now he and most of the players sit in quiet frustration, watching their season dribble away. I agree Bone should go, as he seems to make "adjustments" to make certain defeat is snatched from the jaws of victory, and he can't even figure out why. Maybe he should take the advice from the forum above?

Latest posts

Back