• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Utah Tech

Chex

Well it will be fun to welcome the Wildcats back to Stewart Stadium after their dominating win in Logan. Now just need to keep focused as Utah Tech did score 33 points at Sac State. I’m sure Utah Tech will want to show their mettle. I know Coach Hill won’t let the Wildcats overlook any game. I think the Wildcats win by similar score as last week…38-7.

Just please no letdown. Perfect recipe for it.

Just keep focused and keep the foot on the accelerator.

I don't think any of our players or coaches will have any sort of let down. However I do think that they will want to get as many guys in the game as possible and for all the players to have fun winning the game. I don't see this one as a trap game. I see it as another chance to develop depth and future leadership.

I think we could beat this team by a lot, but coach hill doesn't usually like to do that. I feel that we will establish a subbstantial lead and then we will see how deep we are.
We could beat this team by a ton, but why? :coffee:

Through one half the offense looks good except for the two bad 4th down calls.

Defense on the other hand looks pedestrian. I believe they read their press clippings far too much!!! Utah Tech is torching the secondary and they look lost most of the time. Let’s hope they figure it out for the 2nd half.

Overall, we should be beating this team way easier if we are the #12 team in my opinion. Either flat or overrated.

“Defense on the other hand looks pedestrian. I believe they read their press clippings far too much!!! Utah Tech is torching the secondary and they look lost most of the time. Let’s hope they figure it out for the 2nd half.

Overall, we should be beating this team way easier if we are the #12 team in my opinion. Either flat or overrated.”

Utah Tech has a phenomenal offense. Before this game, best in the country. D is being tested.

The Wildcats put it together in the second half. The defense stood up and stopped a good offense. Wildcats offense looked great for stretches, but made mistakes or some costly errors. They kind of stalled in the red zone. Barron threw off his back foot into double coverage a couple of times and was lucky they weren’t picked off. If they could have cleaned up the errors, they might have won 56-14.

The Big Sky battles now start and the mistakes need to be cleaned up. I think the separation from the top 8 teams or so is razor thin, so those mistakes can be the difference.

Good job Wildcats! Way to sweep the non-conference slate.

Barron completed over 70% of his passes, 4 TDs, and no INTs. I would say he had a pretty good night. The O put up 623 Yards, a great night. The D held the best offensive team in America to about 300 yards under their average and gave up no points in the second half. Once again a pretty good night's work.

We made a few stupid mistakes or it would have been even better. We start to clean up those mistakes and it's going to be a great season. We have still not hit our peak and will just get better.

Next week will be a test at Davis. :coffee: It's good that we play well on the road and have had some really good games at Davis. :thumb:

oldrunner said:
Barron completed over 70% of his passes, 4 TDs, and no INTs. I would say he had a pretty good night. The O put up 623 Yards, a great night. The D held the best offensive team in America to about 300 yards under their average and gave up no points in the second half. Once again a pretty good night's work.

We made a few stupid mistakes or it would have been even better. We start to clean up those mistakes and it's going to be a great season. We have still not hit our peak and will just get better.

Next week will be a test at Davis. :coffee: It's good that we play well on the road and have had some really good games at Davis. :thumb:

I’m not disputing Barron had a good night, but he still did a couple of throws off his back foot while back petaling that good teams will not fail to intercept those toss ups. He botched a hand off exchange a few times that stalled drives in the red zone…so still some things to work on. They are easy to overlook when playing teams you can put distance between on the scoreboard, but not so much when it will be a game until the end. He’s basically a third year player, so the bad decisions and unforced errors need to happen less and less.

On the good side, he’s showing better touch on his passes and looks like he is fitting into the offensive scheme. Obviously he’s not a runner type QB, so those play calls are limited with him, but he is using effective quick passes.

I am glad the Wildcats beat USU. I think the Aggies are down this year, but beating an FBS team is big! I think UC Davis is a good measuring stick.

Hopefully they will beat another group of Aggies!

Bronson Barron is a gunslinger type of QB. He’s no dink and dunk guy. Think Stabler vs Tarkington… guess what era I grew up in?

Clearly the new OC gets that. Your going to see a much better QB this year.

I’m sure Barron is improving, but calling plays that match his abilities is what is making the difference.

I wonder if that was Hill’s intention when recruiting him? Slinging the ball down the field while using the run game to keep DB’s from being able to just fly down field with the receivers.

Chex said:
oldrunner said:

I’m not disputing Barron had a good night, but he still did a couple of throws off his back foot while back petaling that good teams will not fail to intercept those toss ups. He botched a hand off exchange a few times that stalled drives in the red zone…so still some things to work on. They are easy to overlook when playing teams you can put distance between on the scoreboard, but not so much when it will be a game until the end. He’s basically a third year player, so the bad decisions and unforced errors need to happen less and less.

On the good side, he’s showing better touch on his passes and looks like he is fitting into the offensive scheme. Obviously he’s not a runner type QB, so those play calls are limited with him, but he is using effective quick passes.

I am glad the Wildcats beat USU. I think the Aggies are down this year, but beating an FBS team is big! I think UC Davis is a good measuring stick.

We all want perfection, but it rarely happens in real life or sports. Hitting on +70% of your passes is about like shooting 50% from the 3 point line in basketball. It's dang good. Will our O do better in the future? I certainly hope so. We have all been saying that, with our D, any sort of efficiency on O would put us over the top. I think this is what we are now seeing. Not perfect, but working to get better and from a better place right about now. :notworthy:

oldrunner said:
Chex said:
oldrunner said:

We all want perfection, but it rarely happens in real life or sports. Hitting on +70% of your passes is about like shooting 50% from the 3 point line in basketball. It's dang good. Will our O do better in the future? I certainly hope so. We have all been saying that, with our D, any sort of efficiency on O would put us over the top. I think this is what we are now seeing. Not perfect, but working to get better and from a better place right about now. :notworthy:

Point taken. I guess I’m old school. There are some things in sports that were textbook errors that you were never supposed to do: throw off your back foot while back petaling, inbound a basketball to the coffin corner, trying to pass across your goal in hockey, watch a strike three go straight down the middle, etc. I see these things and I about have a mini stroke when players do this as it was just not done when I played. Things are a little different now and fundamentals are no fun I guess. 😂

It was a great game by Barron. I’m sure he is even more aware of a near interception than a fan in the stands who is trying to keep his kids from becoming a public disturbance. I’m sure he’s reviewing film and making improvements.

A big test this Saturday, but I think we are light years ahead on offense than last year with the new OC.

Go Wildcats!

Chex said:
oldrunner said:

Point taken. I guess I’m old school. There are some things in sports that were textbook errors that you were never supposed to do: throw off your back foot while back petaling, inbound a basketball to the coffin corner, trying to pass across your goal in hockey, watch a strike three go straight down the middle, etc. I see these things and I about have a mini stroke when players do this as it was just not done when I played. Things are a little different now and fundamentals are no fun I guess. 😂

It was a great game by Barron. I’m sure he is even more aware of a near interception than a fan in the stands who is trying to keep his kids from becoming a public disturbance. I’m sure he’s reviewing film and making improvements.

A big test this Saturday, but I think we are light years ahead on offense than last year with the new OC.

Go Wildcats!
On that near interception, It looked to me like he was trying to through it away and just wasn't able to put enough on it to get it out of bounds. Like you said, he wasn't able to set his feet. At that point in the game, it wouldn't have changed much. Our D was stifling everything The Trailmixers were doing. We definately made some defensive adjustments at the half. By the 4th quarter their QB was rattled and couldn't do much of anything.

Latest posts

Back