• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Thoughts on the 2023 Season

What do you think about 2-4 Eastern Washington?

• Everything is fine, EWU is a playoff contender

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • EWU will be fine Best can recruit/bounce back

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Best just needs more time to get going

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I have no faith in the Head Coach

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
Starting with the 2004 EWU until now, EWU hasn't missed the FCS playoffs in consecutive seasons. That streak is now over, the the Big Sky schedule for EWU is brutal next season. I don't see a realistic path for EWU to have a winning season next season regardless of who is the coach.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
Visperas is easily top 3 passer in FCS. Montana State didn't score 57 points cause of a bad QB.

I’m talking about Eastern Washington’s lack of offense, genius. How many TD passes did Kekoa throw on Saturday? How many TDs did he run for? Did his offense put up 57 points? 14 points isn’t going to beat anyone, and that’s all Kekoa’s offense could manage. Even that was in garbage time against second string guys.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
Montana State didn't score 57 points cause of a bad QB.

Is that the only part of my comment you read? I think I already addressed that. You might want to go back and read it again. This isn't "Kekoa's offense" Kekoa doesn't call plays my dude. Kekoa shouldn't have to score more than 57 points. Last time I checked football was a team sport. Blaming one player for the whole team plus coaches losing is just bizarre. The COACHES, not Kekoa, call for a FG after being down several TDs. :lol: Its so weird you see the other team's 57 points and think "Kekoa should have scored more than that" instead of "Why did the defense allow 57 points" I think it may be fair to say why didn't the OFFENSE score more than 14 points but to put it all on Kekoa or any QB is unfair.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
Im surprised nobody has brought up QB play these last two seasons, that’s what I believe the issue is. Like the announcers said today during the game “Eastern has had elite QBs for 20 years”.

Erik Meyer - Payton winner
Bo Levi Mitchell - National Championship & MVP
Big Play VA
EBIII - Payton winner

Eastern has had about 10 seasons of elite QB play, now we’ve got Gunner Talkington and Kekoa. It doesn’t matter how good the offensive players are if the QB can’t throw the ball efficiently. These last two guys have no athleticism either, no heart, no talent and no arm strength. I don’t know where the heck these guys came from, until Eastern gets another badass under center we’re gonna be looking at more of what we saw today in Bozeman.

Bo Levi also won the Payton. EWU has 4 Payton Award winners, including Kupp. There are others I would throw in this discussion who could have been Payton Award winners but didn’t get it for whatever reason.

I agree that QB has taken a dive since Baldwin.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:
Montana State didn't score 57 points cause of a bad QB.

Is that the only part of my comment you read? I think I already addressed that. You might want to go back and read it again. This isn't "Kekoa's offense" Kekoa doesn't call plays my dude. Kekoa shouldn't have to score more than 57 points. Last time I checked football was a team sport. Blaming one player for the whole team plus coaches losing is just bizarre. The COACHES, not Kekoa, call for a FG after being down several TDs. :lol: Its so weird you see the other team's 57 points and think "Kekoa should have scored more than that" instead of "Why did the defense allow 57 points" I think it may be fair to say why didn't the OFFENSE score more than 14 points but to put it all on Kekoa or any QB is unfair.

Also agree that Kekoa is not the problem. He’s a good Qb and could be a great Qb with better coaching/play calling.

This is a situation where both sides are correct. I don't see Visperas as on par with some of the better QBs we've had in the last couple of decades. Maybe he gets there at some point; I certainly hope he does. We don't have much of a downfield threat (both due to Visperas and the receivers), and he is throwing more screen passes than I can recall in a long time with the offense.

However, if Visperas had better parts around him, we'd win a lot more. There will be many teams in the FCS playoffs this season with QBs much worse than Visperas. But they are probably teams that run the ball well and do other things that allow them to win.

I still say are problems start and end with horrific defense. Until we solve that issue, the best we can do is hope to outscore teams. We're so bad on D that it hurts the offense because they spend enormous amounts of game time off the field because the D doesn't get off the field. Visperas hasn't done anything to persistently make our D one of the worst in all of D1, year after year.

LDopaPDX said:
This is a situation where both sides are correct. I don't see Visperas as on par with some of the better QBs we've had in the last couple of decades. Maybe he gets there at some point; I certainly hope he does. We don't have much of a downfield threat (both due to Visperas and the receivers), and he is throwing more screen passes than I can recall in a long time with the offense.

However, if Visperas had better parts around him, we'd win a lot more. There will be many teams in the FCS playoffs this season with QBs much worse than Visperas. But they are probably teams that run the ball well and do other things that allow them to win.

I still say are problems start and end with horrific defense. Until we solve that issue, the best we can do is hope to outscore teams. We're so bad on D that it hurts the offense because they spend enormous amounts of game time off the field because the D doesn't get off the field. Visperas hasn't done anything to persistently make our D one of the worst in all of D1, year after year.

Not sure I agree with that. Chism is one of the best receivers in the FCS. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/455 He just became #5 in all time receptions in Eastern history. Visperas also has a senior laden receiving corp. I would like them to use Wortham more. Best is a oline coach so he has this blind dedication to the run game Baldwin didn't have. Even the games we won I look at the play calling thought it boring, uninspired and predictable. I don't think having a Walter Payton award winning QB every year is sustainable.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Best should at least fire the DC and find someone way better if he hopes to save his job. I don't know what you have to do to be completely incompetent at your job as a DC but I feel like Eastern's comes pretty close and its bore out by the statistics. Eastern is 112th in the country in total defense and 117th in rushing defense out of 122 teams. Last year the Eastern's defense ranked 2nd to last in total defense. Interesting fact, I looked it up and Eastern's top 3 tacklers are all grad transfers, sure they may have more experience but I'm thinking they got better coaching from their former schools.

Eastern has a new president that supposedly likes athletics, a young new first time AD that is probably looking to prove himself and boosters that probably don't want their money going to embarrassments like what happened at Idaho State and Montana State. So I would guess if Best doesn't turn this team around quick and make it to the playoffs next year, his contract won't be renewed.

To me it boils down to one major thing. When the portaland transfers became the buisness model we were still selling the EKG formula. Bringing in a bunch of high school players with promise in while many teams were bringing in transfers and portal players...Idaho for example used it well and turned program around in a year or two. Other teams use the snoy out of it. We started late in the game and it shows. Not only late but how hard did recruiters dig for player who would hit the ground running..i.e. Wortham/Jordon? Our recruiting budget may be the lowest in the league..it use to be. So looking under rocks and looking at tape and scouring the portal every day then making the contacts. Not sure who does all that for EWU but when coaches go all the time who is doing work? I think Best did ok this season bringing in players but it's an art form making it work cause the game has drastically changed. Yes, still need to bring in high school players. Just my opinion and I dont know shit.

LDopaPDX said:
I don't see Visperas as on par with some of the better QBs we've had in the last couple of decades. Maybe he gets there at some point; I certainly hope he does.

Man, I don't disagree but that is such a high bar. If we're comparing every QB to Barriere, Adams, Gubrud, Mitchell, Nichols...it'd be hard for just about any QB to live up to those standards. I think KV is a pretty good Qb but I agree that our inability to stretch the field like in years past (this includes big play receivers) means we don't get into the end zone as much on big plays.

Imagine any of our ELITE QBs in the Fresno State game in Double OT, with the game basically won and ask yourself if anyone of those guys would have choked his nuts off and threw a pic! Ask yourself if they would’ve lost to ISU with a 27 point lead, and go 3-8. He choked so hard in that moment, it’s ok admit the truth. He can’t hold EBIII’s jock strap. Didn’t EBIII PUT UP 70 against Idaho or Idaho State!? This Kekoa guy won’t make All Conference, why the hell would he? He ain’t done shit! :coffee:

I voiced my opinions on the current state of the program and the coaching staff, to the AD this week in a lengthy email. I recommend all of you do the same, no matter where you stand in your opinion. I think the AD at the very least, needs to know there is passion in the fanbase.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
Imagine any of our ELITE QBs in the Fresno State game in Double OT, with the game basically won and ask yourself if anyone of those guys would have choked his nuts off and threw a pic! Ask yourself if they would’ve lost to ISU with a 27 point lead, and go 3-8. He choked so hard in that moment, it’s ok admit the truth. He can’t hold EBIII’s jock strap. Didn’t EBIII PUT UP 70 against Idaho or Idaho State!? This Kekoa guy won’t make All Conference, why the hell would he? He ain’t done shit! :coffee:

I don't post much, but wanted to respond to this. EBIII was amazing, but he was not the second coming of Jesus his sophomore season either. I can remember chatter about his accuracy and decision making. He made 3rd team all conference that year, but you have to remember that in 2018 this team was picked to finish 1st in the nation by both the Coaches and Media poll PLUS was on a National Championship runner up team that year. That team was stacked!

Here are some of the offensive weapons that he had around him in 2018:

-RB - McPherson - Rushed for over 1,500yds
-RB- Custer, Pierce, and Merrit
-WR - Webster, Boston, Limu-Jones, Eagle, and Edwards IV

The 2018 team rushed for over 255 yds per game vs 155 this season. We all know that when you can run the football it creates the opportunity to stretch the field in the passing game. We also know that Webster, Boston, and Limu-Jones were all legit deep ball threats, which we don't have now.

Here are EBIII's stats his Sophomore year, just to compare.

Games played in were 14 with 9 starts
Passing
190 cmp
311 att
61% cmp
9 INT
24 TD (5 vs PSU and 7 vs Maine)
175yds per game

Here is Kekoa's stats to date for his Sophomore debut

Games played in 9 with 9 starts. Was injured for the Idaho
Passing
226 cmp
339 att
67% cmp
7 INT
15 TD
274.6 yds per game

Correct, he is not EBIII, but he has the ability to be great.

Some other stats for Visperas:

Completion percentage tied for 14th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky

Completions per game 5th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky

Passing Efficiency 37th in FCS, 5th in the Big Sky

Passing Yards 16th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky

Passing Yards per game, 8th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky

Yards per pass attempt 43rd in FCS, 4th in the Big Sky (imo being told to throw so many screen passes by the OC)

Compare to the defense (122 FCS teams, 12 Big Sky teams):

Total Defense 112th in the FCS, 10th in the Big Sky

Rush Defense 117th in the FCS, 12th in the Big Sky

Passing Yards Allowed 69th in FCS, 4th in the Big Sky

The problem is what we all know it is, except for HeavyIsTheCrown apparently, is the defense, mainly the rushing defense sucks. When the defense is being scored on at will, the offense is probably like why bother. Like I said in the game thread, USC fired its DC for allowing 52 points in a whole game. Eastern's DC allowed 41 points in one half and another 16 to the backups in the second half.

Kekoa is not the problem. It's insane to me that we're even having that discussion. The coaching staff has routinely put him in horrible situations. There is NO consistency in the play calling. Hell, he doesn't even know if he's going to play a whole drive! This constant BS rotating QBs when everyone in the damn stadium KNOWS what the play call will be if Kekoa isn't in (hint: QB run). Hell, the staff hardly lets the kid throw it down the field.

Kekoa should have been playing LAST year. Instead, our stubborn staff decided to let Gunner play an entire wasted season to thank him for being a 6th year guy. At the very freaking least, Kekoa should have played the final 3 games, which would have allowed him to keep his red shirt. But in reality, why do we even care about the red shirt years anymore. These guys rarely play a full 4 years with the same school, especially at place like EWU, where if they're successful, they bolt for greener pastures.

Kekoa has the talent to be a top QB in this conference and probably at this level. Unfortunately, it's constant head games and momentum killing from the coaches. Just maddening.

Run up the middle, WR screen, run up the middle. Punt. Give up rushing yards for TDs. Rinse, ring, repeat. I HATE being a complainer, but I've seen enough of this clown show, from this staff.

Did anyone else notice that last week, after scoring a couple TDs and building some momentum, we decided to try a FG with the swirling wind, down by 40+ points??? Guess what, missed that FG and didn't score again. This staff is a joke when it comes to game management. The fact that they can still recruit, is even more insane because they get guys and never develop them. :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

ewueagle2010 said:
Kekoa is not the problem. It's insane to me that we're even having that discussion. The coaching staff has routinely put him in horrible situations. There is NO consistency in the play calling. Hell, he doesn't even know if he's going to play a whole drive! This constant BS rotating QBs when everyone in the damn stadium KNOWS what the play call will be if Kekoa isn't in (hint: QB run). Hell, the staff hardly lets the kid throw it down the field.

Kekoa should have been playing LAST year. Instead, our stubborn staff decided to let Gunner play an entire wasted season to thank him for being a 6th year guy. At the very freaking least, Kekoa should have played the final 3 games, which would have allowed him to keep his red shirt. But in reality, why do we even care about the red shirt years anymore. These guys rarely play a full 4 years with the same school, especially at place like EWU, where if they're successful, they bolt for greener pastures.

Kekoa has the talent to be a top QB in this conference and probably at this level. Unfortunately, it's constant head games and momentum killing from the coaches. Just maddening.

Run up the middle, WR screen, run up the middle. Punt. Give up rushing yards for TDs. Rinse, ring, repeat. I HATE being a complainer, but I've seen enough of this clown show, from this staff.

Did anyone else notice that last week, after scoring a couple TDs and building some momentum, we decided to try a FG with the swirling wind, down by 40+ points??? Guess what, missed that FG and didn't score again. This staff is a joke when it comes to game management. The fact that they can still recruit, is even more insane because they get guys and never develop them. :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

Man you said everything I wanted to say and then some. I don't think anyone thinks Kekoa is the problem except for that one guy. I think the staff are holding back Kekoa as well.

The fact they didn't put Kekoa in when it was obvious it was a wasted season is just mind boggling and shows a certain arrogance from Best. It would have gave him much needed reps. Imo, they should have just started Kekoa last season. Every time I saw Talkington play in garbage time or when Barriere was out he was unimpressive to flat out bad. I think at one point he had more Ints then TDs. The whole season felt like a participation trophy for Talkington. It feels that way this season with Tuna Altahir, probably the worst back but he gets most of the snaps for some reason.

Best is an oline coach so you'd think the run game would be his bread and butter but its been so mid since Sam McPherson. Its all run up the gut which would be fine if we had an oline that could open up holes and running backs with some vision.

I don't think players leave as much if we make deep playoff runs but losing seasons like these they're more inclined to leave and I don't blame them. They'll get better opportunities and coaching at the next level. I pointed out how the 3 grad transfer linebackers are EWU's top tacklers, part of that being is they probably had better coaching at their old school.

This whole season seems like its been, 1) hand off to Tuna, he runs for 2-5 yards, 2) outside screen to Chism, tackle for loss 3) hand off to Tuna again, 0 yards or tackle for loss. 4) punt

That may be the one thing Best is good at is recruiting, wonder how long that lasts with losing seasons and bad coaching. I feel bad for the players, it seems like they really bought in after last season and worked hard in the off season and haven't had the support from coaches.

ewueagle2010 said:

Agreed!

Just a reminder: The program is past emotional pleas for stability as there hasn't been any.

Best still needs to go. Those that think "continuity" matters when the system is failing are on a sinking ship. Just a reminder, since Best has taken over there has been at least 2 (closer to three) complete staff changeovers where most left for lesser or lateral roles, not better ones. Oversaw several years of disastrous special teams, has had more players leave the program than Colorado under Sanders and shown NO improvement in defense (see note on special teams). Don't get me started on under utilizing superior underclassmen talent.

See it anyway you want but the rats leaving a sinking ship moment happened two years ago when the OC split mid season and the replacement took the top QB commit and fled to Fresno, then the DC left, they "fired" a couple of other coaches and several of the best players moved on to other crappy programs. I repeat.... The program is past emotional pleas for stability as there hasn't been any.

Heavy's distraction on Kekoa was just a tool move. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, just not sure there's anyone on the staff capable of growing him or any QB up.

Latest posts

Back