• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

The Future of College Football

n.ogdencat

Staff member
With its announcement of expanding the CFP to 12 teams (11 P5's and 1 G5), I believe we are starting to see the break away accelerating. In the end there will be 4 Super Conferences made up mostly of current P5 schools and those G5's that can make money (there will only be a handful). The Big Ten, SEC, ACC and some weird merge between Big 12 and PAC 12, each will have 20 teams (purely my belief). These teams will never officially break away from the NCAA. The Big Dance is too lucrative. So Men's Basketball will keep the NCAA intact. However, the majors will have enough power to virtually end what we know about college football. Frankly, it is already happening.

For our interests, this really doesn't matter. The difference between Weber State and Alabama is so extreme that using the Grand Canyon as an analogy of separation seems almost laughable. The gap is that extreme. But, how much of a difference is there between MW and Big Sky schools? Or Missouri Valley and Sun Belt schools? I would argue that Montana with 20 less scholarships could compete for the MW Championship right now. Frankly, Weber could too, along with Idaho, Eastern, Sac, State, Davis, NAU and PSU. Cal Poly is a year or two out from being competitive and will turn some heads this year. Imagine if there wasn't a difference in scholarships? The biggest difference tends to be depth. Portland State should have won and lost because of TOs. SJSU, Hawaii, New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada, and CSU would struggle to go .500 in the Sky this year. USU might as well live it up the next few years. Because the tide is turning and the vast majority of G5's, including the Aggies, are on the outside looking in. They will not be invited to the party. Frankly, the party already started and is moving on without them.

Since this is the case, now is the time for Weber to really drive the program. I hate wasting money. So, Weber needs to figure out how to make more from the program with the aim of expanding. The stadium needs to be repaired and east stands need to be rebuilt. The track needs to be moved and we need to take marketing seriously. There are 5 games left. The goal should be to fill the east stands completely. There isn't much of a remaining fan base. So, athletics needs to build it through students, young alumni, and making GA cheap and accessible to the community. Football and Men's Basketball are Weber's only way of proving they belong. I love Softball and Volleyball and they are awesome, but softball and volleyball are not the programs changing college sports. Athletics needs to start being more serious about building football, especially with Coach Hill here. There is going to be another party, we definitely don't want to miss that one. If we do, we are back with SUU.

Welcome back Tal.

I think you have hit the nail right on the head. I'm not sure how long it will take for things to unfold, but the recent moves have started the process. I feel that what will emerge will be a much better system for all involved. Let's face it, about half of the current G5 are losing money and scrambling to stay afloat. Also, about 25% of the FCS should probably be in D11. There just needs to be a politically correct way for their fan bases to accept the idea. A major realignment could accomplish that.

The new P4, or what ever they choose to call themselves, will operate mostly outside of the NCAA. They will make their own rules. I don't see many G5 teams that would be asked to step up. It's more likely that some of the current P5 teams will choose to move down, or be forced to. I can see the P4 level, a combined D1 level, a D11, and a D111. That is close to what we have right now. I can see the P4s having 100 full rides, The D1s having 75 full rides, D11 having 50, and D111 having 40. D11 and D111 should also have the ability to split some of their grants.

The next few years will be interesting, to say the least. :coffee:

Latest posts

Back