• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Soccer

LDopaPDX

Just throwing this out there, but why on Earth did Hickey fire a coach that was routinely winning Big Sky titles and replace him with someone who seems to be presiding over a program in free fall?

2 wins in 13 games isn’t gonna cut it for a program that had been quite successful as recently as 3 years ago. Talk about trying to fix something that wasn’t broken and just making a mess…

Glad you brought that up Dopa. I use to catch at least a couple Sunday games if I was at the Sat. football games. Put up with the terrible coaching before Bodnar came in and that was torture. Bodnar put the program on the map and was a great exciting style...and they won. Last week I talked to several Columbia Basin College Soccer ladies that I knew. BTW they are perennial State contenders. I've seen many of the EWU games online and tell you CBC would beat them no problem. Players told me they understand the coaching at EWU is subpar and that was the general feeling from other players from throughout the state. I even had my facebook posts taken down on their facebook page if I asked general questions and yes some were critical of the direction of the program. Quality of players just isn't there. Even bad coaching can be overcome if you have high end quality. There are a couple of special players to be sure. Hope new AD Collins doesn't tolerate poor results not only every week but every year.

LDopaPDX said:
Just throwing this out there, but why on Earth did Hickey fire a coach that was routinely winning Big Sky titles and replace him with someone who seems to be presiding over a program in free fall?

2 wins in 13 games isn’t gonna cut it for a program that had been quite successful as recently as 3 years ago. Talk about trying to fix something that wasn’t broken and just making a mess…

Considering Bodnar is now dead (may he rest in peace) - I'm not sure it really matters? For what it's worth, there were several things from the inside that were not being handled well. Good coach, yes. Good personal decision? Not my place to say but the AD didn't believe so.

With that said, this year has been rough. Isn't the roster pretty young though?

Holy smokes! I didn't know he passed away! Man that is a bummer, I really liked him and what he did for the soccer program. Thought he got a raw deal when he was let go.

Not sure if this team is young or not but i've painfully watch most of their games and a good high school team would give them a game. They lost to UNC in their final game, at home, 0-4. UNC hadn't won a game all season till they bet EWU at their house 4-0. Being young doesn't include poor touches, bad traps, no vision and poor decision making skills. Makes me wonder if they aren't using their full scholarship allotment, definerely not using them right. Word is coaching a factor by players around the soccer world. So sad....

*I wouldn't say this if i thought any soccer player would read it, Safely feel the chances are zero...lol

One thing that was a hallmark of the Bodnar years is that he developed players. Kids would be decent as freshman and build into stars by the time they were seniors. The current players never seem to get any better year after year, and there aren't a lot of younger players able to step into those roles. I watched a couple of games this year, and this version of Eastern would have been totally walloped by Bodnar's teams... like 5-0 or worse. They couldn't even string passes together or make impactful runs.

Latest posts

Back