• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Roos Field Renovation

No inside information here, but I would expect the depth chart to be set after Wednesdays scrimmage.

The players have Thursday off, so I would expect the coaches will finalize the depth chart, designate the travel squad, and prepare for Nevada on Thursday, with Friday being the start of game week prep for the players.

I would think any RS decisions would be made at that time as well. Of course as a season goes on, RS decisions are up for review.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjcyEYl_Hm0[/youtube]

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but if not - here's the video circa 2002 (pre-new press box) which announced the Woodward Stadium renovation project, which consists of 4 phases. The first 2 phases were new locker room, entrances, and the press-box/donor suites. Phases 3 and 4 were the addition of a concrete grand-stand on the visitors side, additional seating on the home side, and land-scaping/parking improvements. For those that haven't seen it, I'll scour around the internet and see if I can post the original schematics.

The recession probably didn't help out a whole lot, and the old president left before it was completed. The addition of the new red turf and hopefully new re-play board will do wonders for the stadium, but I am wondering if the administration still has plans to go forward with the last 2 phases of the original project at some point in time. If we're going to be a perrenial FCS power, I think there's no argument that the rest has to be done. Someone call up Bill Gates.

A little piece on the planned video board upgrade.

http://www.easterneronline.com/sports/eastern-plans-next-steps-to-the-2010-stadium-project-1.1162303

Looks like EWU doesn’t want to stop at the red turf.

In what has become the “2010 Stadium Project,” Eastern wants to continue upgrading Woodward Stadium after the red turf is put in. A state-of-the-art video scoreboard is next on the list of renovations.

“The video board gives us the ability to do two things: to replace a scoreboard that needs to be replaced and to get us into the video age where, hopefully, our Saturdays will go from a game to an event,” Athletic Director Bill Chaves said.

Following suit with the red turf, fundings for the video board will also come from various donations. Not one dime will come out of any students’ pockets, unless they want to donate. The cost for the video board will be around $400,000 and $500,000, depending on the specifics of the board and the location in the stadium.

“We’re not going to stop fundraising knowing there are additional needs to the stadium,” Chaves said.

The standing board in place now has been around for approximately 20 years, Chaves said. It has come to the point where finding replacement parts to repair the current board is too hard, he said.

“For us to get to the next 21 century level to what fans expect at a game, having a video board to provide a message is crucial,” Chaves said.

The board will be used in a variety of ways during football games. Replays will be shown along with many other things one would see at any stadium with a video scoreboard. Team introductions, statistics, public service announcements, marketing and the ability to better display EWU’s corporate sponsors are just a few of the perks mentioned by Chaves. He even hinted at a possible “kiss cam.”

“The replay piece is very big. In football, it is very play, stop, play, stop. When it stops, it seems like everyone’s attention is on the video board,” Chaves said.

As of now, more than half of the Big Sky Conference teams have a video scoreboard: Weber State, Northern Arizona, Montana State, Montana and Idaho State.

From track meets to graduation, the board will be available for every event that is held in the stadium.

“I think [the video board] will really benefit that whole stadium when there is an event being run,” Chaves said.

EWURanger said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjcyEYl_Hm0

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but if not - here's the video circa 2002 (pre-new press box) which announced the Woodward Stadium renovation project, which consists of 4 phases. The first 2 phases were new locker room, entrances, and the press-box/donor suites. Phases 3 and 4 were the addition of a concrete grand-stand on the visitors side, additional seating on the home side, and land-scaping/parking improvements. For those that haven't seen it, I'll scour around the internet and see if I can post the original schematics.

The recession probably didn't help out a whole lot, and the old president left before it was completed. The addition of the new red turf and hopefully new re-play board will do wonders for the stadium, but I am wondering if the administration still has plans to go forward with the last 2 phases of the original project at some point in time. If we're going to be a perrenial FCS power, I think there's no argument that the rest has to be done. Someone call up Bill Gates.

I know the video, that's my youtube page:) also, thread has been stickied

Wineguy,
Sorry I wasn't able to get any information from Coach Baldwin. There were no practice this afternoon, the team went bowling. I will try tomorrow to find out when it will be out. Go Eags!!! Vic

EWURanger said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjcyEYl_Hm0

I remember years back there was a .pdf document that had it broken down by phases. I also noticed the University just published a new website, and a lot of the links to the old one don't work anymore. You might have a hard time finding it now.

A video board is great, but the main priority has to be getting rid of the candy-ass high school bleachers on the Eastside and replacing them with a more formidable structure. We've publicly announced that we're going to do it twice, only to see it fall through the cracks.

LDopaPDX said:
A video board is great, but the main priority has to be getting rid of the candy-ass high school bleachers on the Eastside and replacing them with a more formidable structure. We've publicly announced that we're going to do it twice, only to see it fall through the cracks.

Yup. I've been searching around the internet trying to find the document that had all the lay-outs and everything for phases 3 and 4. No luck yet. :roll:

Eagle_Power said:
Anyone heard anything more on the status of the scoreboard?

They're going to put it in for the 2011 season, if everything progresses as expected. I fully expect this to happen though, they're intending no using it for badly needed ad revenue.

Too bad it couldn't happen for the 2010 season, but at least they're moving forward. The additional ad revenue should surely help as well.

EWURanger said:
Too bad it couldn't happen for the 2010 season, but at least they're moving forward. The additional ad revenue should surely help as well.
Maybe someone could go out and blow that old one down ! What an albatross !! How bout at least some RED paint ?

Wineguy,
In case you haven't seen it as yet. The Depth Chart came out on Aug 26. For all that worried about "Super Mario", he is ok. He was out there running like the normal Mario" Andre Bud Williams, is hoping he doesn't RS. Dylan Zylstra said today he will RS, hit the Weights real hard, get some more muscles on him, and come out 2011 ready to play. Go Eags!!! Vic Wallace

EdubAlum,

Your Big Day along with your wife is soon to be. Let us know when the baby is born
and the health of both. God be with all of you. You and your family will be in my Taughts. Take Care. Vic Wallace

Thanks vic! Friday morning c section scheduled. I will post pictures of the newest eaglet in her eagle obedience as soon as she gets home!

It's a year or so old, but I saw this video on youtube on the score/replay board projects at Woodward and Reese Court.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odFvNoEghtM[/youtube]

I know a lot of the money has already been secured for this, but let's get the ball rolling and get this thing in here for next season!

What if having a fancy new scoreboard puts an average of 500 extra butts in seats? Although the stands are atrocious the scoreboard has a higher chance of instantly providing higher attendance. New video scoreboard plus more fans creates a snowball effect. I like Chaves quote about turning it into more of an event rather than a game. All of the gimmicks that a video scoreboard provides make the game more enjoyable for the casual fan (sadly we need them lol).

Latest posts

Back