• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Power of 1000 Hornets

SDHornet

Staff member

The athletic department is hosting an event called “Power of 1000 Hornets” at The Well on Thursday, May 7th from 5:30 – 7pm.
Thank you Hornet fans for your loyal support of Sacramento State Athletics and the men's and women's basketball programs this past season! Join us to celebrate that success one last time and look ahead at an exciting vision for the future.

There will be a brief program at 6 p.m. filled with great news.
For questions, please contact Markus Jennings at [email protected].
You can register here.

Probably an announcement/kickoff of a fundraising drive for a new events center…at least based on the image that is what I am going with.

Was thinking the same thing SD.

Some news about the future of Hornets basketball at this event?

The basketball programs so far have done everything possible

The only thing left
The thing that has been missing
The not so mysterious issue for decades.

Some sort of real, tangible effort to get people behind building an event center?

Guess we all will wait and see for what will happen on this special night when we all hear about the future of Hornet basketball.

Trust the mystery of this night is worth the mystery.

looking forward to the big announcement and the future vision for Hornet basketball. Hope to wake up Friday morning with some tangible news.

http://www.hornetsports.com/generalnews/powerof1000

UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCES POWER OF 1,000 HORNETS CAMPAIGN

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Sacramento State celebrated the success of the Hornet men's and women's basketball teams while also announcing its plan to move forward with an on-campus event center in a Thursday night ceremony at The Well.

With University President Dr. Alexander Gonzalez, Vice President of Student Affairs Ed Mills, Vice President of University Advancement Vince Sales and Director of Athletics Bill Macriss in attendance, the University presented its campaign of "Power of 1,000 Hornets" which hopes to generate over $1 million towards the project.

"Tonight is the first step of many as we begin a fundraising effort to bring an Events Center to the campus of Sacramento State," Associate Athletics Director for External Affairs Markus Jennings said. "The 'Power of 1,000 Hornets' is a grassroots effort to get everyone energized and on board. We are initially seeking 1,000 donors to give $1,140 within 12 months. We have a donor that has committed to giving a gift of $50,000 right now and she's encouraging others to follow her lead."

The 2014-15 basketball seasons were the best for Sacramento State during the school's Div. I era (1991-pres.). The men's team finished with a 21-12 overall record and qualified for the postseason for the first time since the 1987-88 season. During the last half of the season, the team played in front of five-straight overflow crowds at the The Nest — the University's 1,012 seat basketball facility.

Following the season, head coach Brian Katz earned the Hugh Durham Award which is presented to the top Div. I mid-major coach. Katz was also recognized as the Big Sky Conference co-Coach of the Year.

The women's team also advanced to the postseason, recording a pair of wins in the WNIT and moving on to the round of 16. Under head coach Bunky Harkleroad, Sacramento State has set numerous NCAA Div. I records with its high-octane offense and pressing defense.

The proposed Event Center will be a modern, multi-use facility that will increase programming and services for activities such as job fairs, speaker presentations, Commencement ceremonies, featured athletics events, competitions, educational sessions and entertainment such as concerts or performing arts. In addition to the programming benefits, this signature venue will increase the University’s connection with the greater Sacramento community, and increase student employment opportunities on campus.

I've been burned before... What about a GoFundMe style operation that only takes your $$$ if they reach a certain goal? I'd be in for a much larger donation if that were the case.

Aside from the Hornetsports announcement, here is the alumni website link. It has a direct link to make a contribution online for those interested.

K that’s not how it works on a scale like this, we talking about a $125M facility. You can’t go for bonding or go back to the students for funding if there is no cash in hand (i.e. collateral). It’ll never get done with pledges alone (or student funding alone).

I attended the event. Good vibe, packed house ranging from students to the long time Hornet donors, great turnout and energy from the leaders driving this effort. Everyone seemed to be on the same page with the vision and goal. I would have liked to see more long term specific details but this is the very crucial first step.

This is what we have all been clamoring for over the years: a public fundraising effort. It’s put up or shut up time. This first years’ push is for the seed money. Quite frankly if $1M can’t be raised in the next 12 months then we can forget about an events center, or any athletics facilities ever getting built. $1M is not even 1% of the total estimated cost, but this $1M will serve as the ground work for future donations (individual, corporate, etc). My take is basically if the initial interest/contributions aren’t there, then there is no reason to push on and we are stuck in The Nest for the long haul, and stuck with Hornet Stadium as is, and pretty much every sub par facility as is.

We bitched a lot over the years about a lot of things: facilities, admin staff, on the field/court production…the list goes on. Now we have new admin in both the University and athletics bureaucracies that are on the same page to address the facility shortcoming along with solid production by the athletic programs themselves to climax interest around this effort. Having met a lot of the athletic admin over the past year and talking with some of the university leadership at last night's event, I’m buying in. Let's get this fvcking thing built.

That is an overly expensive project, $125M?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECU_Arena" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Towson built a facility two years ago at half the price.

Why won'y University Enterprises pony up the $1M, they are a private trust of the school and will benefit tremendously from anything built?

At least it is movement by somebody, shovel hits dirt will be my motto. Until shovel hits dirt.

No coverage on statehornet or csus.edu, hum, wonder how 'embracing' this project will be?

I am guessing a stadium remodel will be $250M??? :rofl:

For the technologically challenged, the donation webpage contains an address to mail in donations:
If you prefer to make a gift by check, please make it payable to 'The University Foundation at Sacramento State' and indicate 'The Power of 1,000 Hornets Campaign' in the memo line. Our mailing address is: Development Office, Sacramento State, 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6026.

The Sac State home page now has the announcement linked, and here is a Sac Bee article:
“We don’t want to lay this at any one group’s feet,” Macriss said. “In the past, we have tried public-private partnerships and couldn’t make it pencil out. We’ve gone to the students and have had success at times and not had success at times. There are so many different ways we can approach this, and by doing this fundraising campaign, we’re showing the students and community how serious we are.”

Great news.

At last

Finally.

And agree with the way to get this done.

Everyone needs to get behind this, just not the sports faction.

This will be an event center that will of course benefit basketball just as much:

The theater Dept.
The music Dept.
Every dept. that needs an event center other than Hornet Gym.

And the community can benefit by having an event center with a huge parking lot already in place to stage countless events of any kind and type on a beautiful university campus blocks off a freeway.

This first 1 million dollar campaign needs to be embraced big time by every dept. and every association of Sac State and the community at large. Should not take a year to get to 1 million. Should be much faster if this is marketed right. There are hundreds of thousands of alum and businesses and community at large that can will contribute and get to the 1 million mark quickly. But I do like the whole 1,000 Hornets theme. Gotta start somewhere and glad to see something started. And trust that our Gonzo will put down a huge donation and our new president will get behind this big time.

At last!!

And of course plan to contribute!!

Article in the Bee today regarding upgrades to facilities. The plan approved by the trustees has the events center being built within 10 years and upgrades to permanent seating for Hornet Stadium within 15 years. I hope this all becomes reality. It all seems to be a pretty ambitous plan which still needs lots of funding questions answered.

Official Sac State link to master plan approval.

The master plan virtual tour looks incredible. Good to see more on campus housing construction getting underway this summer. And from the looks of the virtual tour the Sac State campus is gonna be an incredible place to live. Hope it all happens and in a shorter time span than 15 to 20 more years. But guess that is how long it has taken for so much of the campus facilities that are new at this time to go up and the 1950 buildings to come down and many more still need to go bye bye, but save the old trees.

And of course hope the Events Center is a top priority in this plan as it benefits everyone.

how bout Golden One Credit Union kicking down some big bucks to get the Sac State Events Center built. Hope this current sponsor of Sac State athletics is being asked to step up!!

josephpoint said:
how bout Golden One Credit Union kicking down some big bucks to get the Sac State Events Center built. Hope this current sponsor of Sac State athletics is being asked to step up!!

Yeah, they have been a supporting sponsor since the 80's and the Queens beat the tar feet Hornets to the perverbiable golden egg. Would have been nice to have them support somebody they have supported since the beginning.

Any updates on the money raised to date?

Any plans to keep the public informed on the money raised week by week , month by month to hit the 1 million dollar mark?

The project along with all the marketing literature has lame duck Gonzo in it, perhaps the department responsible for this campaign can re-brand the message with updated pics and info about Dr. Nelson's involvement?

I agree, any updates would be well received and I think a new jump-start ought to be made to keep the topic in front of everybody. It doesn't help that the football team is self-imploding and the marquee VB team is melting again. Hope Katz can pull off another miracle to keep momentum.

yes, it would seem that regular updates would be made public. Keeping everyone informed on the campaign seems like basic marketing 101. Do not understand why there has been no updates?:?? People love to get involved when they see upward movement. And guessing there is some type of point person in the athletic department is aware of how the campaign is going?????????? Anyone? Anything? This is also fund raising 101. So basic.

Latest posts

Back