• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Montana State @ Weber State

Welcome to the decline back to the pre Hill era. This team is completely overrated and has had their roster exposed. Losing Barron, Heckard, Garrett, and Eichorn clearly has hurt big time. Weisser is as bad as any we’ve had over the last 20 years and the defense isn’t nearly as stout as previous years. The o-line was terrible tonight and overall the team didn’t seem to have any spark!! Really disappointed in the effort of the players and the lack of direction by the coaches.

I’m ready to see if any other QB has the talent to start because Kylan isn’t it!! He is indecisive, inaccurate, and slow. Granted the line was bad, but the calls tell you that Mental doesn’t trust Weisser. On the defensive side they started okay but repeatedly were burnt on play action and once tired got beat even against the run. Montana State is really good and they deserve credit, but almost ANY Big Sky team could’ve beat Weber tonight. If we don’t find a competent QB quickly, and if the O-line doesn’t improve immensely we’ll be lucky to finish better than 5-6!!! This performance makes me question the entire direction of the program right now.

SWWeatherCat said:
Chex said:
There is absolutely no reason Weisser should have played the entire game. You owe it to the team to try and get some playing time for other QBs in a situation like that to see if another option is available and to try and get a spark going before the game turned into a laugher. Passing game is awful. Any decent team will stack the box knowing they won’t get punished. Team should drop out of the top 50 with a performance like that. I kind of don’t blame the D for giving up at the end when they kept sending Weisser in. ...

Absolutely agree, I don't remember that poor of all around performance in many years. I wanted to see a different look at QB in the 2nd half, even though I think the issues are much more than that. I've felt all along that Weber was ranked about 8-10 spots too high but it's much more than that. I don't think it was only the D that quit, what coach in their right mind, would call a fake punt from their own 20ish after having been so thoroughly dominated. I sure hope this isn't the start of a spiral back to pre-Hill/Mac suck.

Things that Montana State have done that Weber State hasn’t:

1. Made an in season change at coordinator when it wasn’t working. Hill never did at OC with some talented teams that could have won it all with a decent offense.

2. Made a change at QB during a game and rewarded the good performance by making a permanent switch. That is how Chambers is now the QB for the Bobcats.

These thing’s separate contenders from the rest. Trying to be a player’s pal by leaving him in the whole game won’t work. Cy Young pitchers get pulled early in bad games. Vezina trophy winning goalies get pulled from games, whether their fault or the team’s fault. Weisser can handle being pulled. If not, let him hit the portal. Keeping him in this game just destroyed his confidence more and kept Weber State from seeing if they have a QB whose talent is wasting on the bench.

MSU played well.

However, that was one of the worst performances I have seen out of our Wildcats in a long while. When we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties, we were simply not executing like we have in the past, on both sides of the ball. It looked like we were not prepared at all for what MSU was doing. What they were doing wasn't any different than what they have been doing for the past two years. Our guys looked like they hadn'y seen any film on them and had no plan of attack.

We were completely embarrassed infront af a good crowd. There certainly needs to be some changes. It was like our defensive coordinators learnrd nothing from 7 year with coach Hill. And what happened to the offense that showed a little misdirection last year.

The wheels came completely off in that game.

MSU is very good, but if we play near our potential, we are at least in that game a little longer than one quarter.

oldrunner said:
MSU played well.

However, that was one of the worst performances I have seen out of our Wildcats in a long while. When we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties, we were simply not executing like we have in the past, on both sides of the ball. It looked like we were not prepared at all for what MSU was doing. What they were doing wasn't any different than what they have been doing for the past two years. Our guys looked like they hadn'y seen any film on them and had no plan of attack.

We were completely embarrassed infront af a good crowd. There certainly needs to be some changes. It was like our defensive coordinators learnrd nothing from 7 year with coach Hill. And what happened to the offense that showed a little misdirection last year.

The wheels came completely off in that game.

MSU is very good, but if we play near our potential, we are at least in that game a little longer than one quarter.
Totally agree :eek:
It wasn't surprising that they lost but how they lost. :oops:
Hope that was a aberration or it's going to be a long season :coffee:

Chex said:
SWWeatherCat said:
Chex said:
There is absolutely no reason Weisser should have played the entire game. You owe it to the team to try and get some playing time for other QBs in a situation like that to see if another option is available and to try and get a spark going before the game turned into a laugher. Passing game is awful. Any decent team will stack the box knowing they won’t get punished. Team should drop out of the top 50 with a performance like that. I kind of don’t blame the D for giving up at the end when they kept sending Weisser in. ...

Absolutely agree, I don't remember that poor of all around performance in many years. I wanted to see a different look at QB in the 2nd half, even though I think the issues are much more than that. I've felt all along that Weber was ranked about 8-10 spots too high but it's much more than that. I don't think it was only the D that quit, what coach in their right mind, would call a fake punt from their own 20ish after having been so thoroughly dominated. I sure hope this isn't the start of a spiral back to pre-Hill/Mac suck.

1. Made an in season change at coordinator when it wasn’t working. Hill never did at OC with some talented teams that could have won it all with a decent offense.

2. Made a change at QB during a game and rewarded the good performance by making a permanent switch. That is how Chambers is now the QB for the Bobcats.

These thing’s separate contenders from the rest. Trying to be a player’s pal by leaving him in the whole game won’t work. Cy Young pitchers get pulled early in bad games. Vezina trophy winning goalies get pulled from games, whether their fault or the team’s fault. Weisser can handle being pulled. If not, let him hit the portal. Keeping him in this game just destroyed his confidence more and kept Weber State from seeing if they have a QB whose talent is wasting on the bench.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, Housewrite has been MSU's OC since Vigen was hired, the previous staff (Choat) did make a mid season OC change.

Sean is QB1 now because of injury, not performance related. We play them both when healthy as QB1A and QB1B.

I will say this about your team, they did not play up to the standards I expect from a WSU team. It is one of the first games vs Weber that I felt that MSU was more physical than WSU.

I have been a fan of both coach Mac and coach Hill, the jury is still out on this guy.

I always root for Weber when you aren't playing MSU and hope your staff makes the changes that are needed.

cats2506 said:
Chex said:
SWWeatherCat said:
Chex said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about, Housewrite has been MSU's OC since Vigen was hired, the previous staff (Choat) did make a mid season OC change.

Sean is QB1 now because of injury, not performance related. We play them both when healthy as QB1A and QB1B.

I will say this about your team, they did not play up to the standards I expect from a WSU team. It is one of the first games vs Weber that I felt that MSU was more physical than WSU.

I have been a fan of both coach Mac and coach Hill, the jury is still out on this guy.

I always root for Weber when you aren't playing MSU and hope your staff makes the changes that are needed.

Was referring to when Choat made the change at OC, the change helped get the season turned around. The QB change I was referring to was probably then as well. I remember one of their QBs getting upset he was pulled and hitting the transfer portal at the end of the season …thought it was Chambers. Might have been someone else. The overall point being it is important to give other QBs a chance in a blowout and to make corrections or changes when necessary.

Hats off to Montana State, I think they are top 3 and have a good shot this year. Weber State, however, has obviously taken a big step back. With games like Idaho, EWU, and UC Davis left, they better get things figured out quickly, or it will be a long season.

Cats2506 you are a classy guy and I appreciate your analysis. I hope the Bobs do well here on out. MSU isn't just a conference contender, but a national contender.

5 Reasons why we are going to really miss Coach Hill:
1. Team preparedness. Legacy or national rankings don't win games.
2. Physical and tough. We are soft, soft, soft...I would replace the entire OL. Four highly experienced seniors who quit and got beat over and over again.
3. Tackling. I swear I saw Jody Sears on the sideline Saturday. Our tackling hasn't been this bad since 2013.
4. Recruitment. Regional kids have been some of our best players. Batchelor or McPherson weren't the quickest WRs, but played hard and were dependable. Our current guys all run bananas. Weisser might not be able to hit his receivers, but he really doesn't have much to work with. That group has a lot of work to do.
5. Classy. I hate watching our HC in interviews. It is like nails on a chalkboard. Coach Hill looked and acted like a HC. Teams act like their coaches.

When a great coach leaves, you find the guy who is most like him to take over. If I am the AD, I figure out a way to get Swan to Weber State. He has an outside shot at being the next DC at the U. So, it is going to be really tough.

Chex said:
cats2506 said:
Chex said:
SWWeatherCat said:
Chex said:

Was referring to when Choat made the change at OC, the change helped get the season turned around. The QB change I was referring to was probably then as well. I remember one of their QBs getting upset he was pulled and hitting the transfer portal at the end of the season …thought it was Chambers. Might have been someone else. The overall point being it is important to give other QBs a chance in a blowout and to make corrections or changes when necessary.

Hats off to Montana State, I think they are top 3 and have a good shot this year. Weber State, however, has obviously taken a big step back. With games like Idaho, EWU, and UC Davis left, they better get things figured out quickly, or it will be a long season.

No it was Vigens first year in 2021. McKay was degrading all season and looked like a scared rabbit in Missoula. Vigen/Houswrite replaced him with Tommy for the playoffs, Mckay entered the transfer portal.

Chambers transferred in the following year after Tommy went down in the NC game.

I guess it didn't click, that was what you were talking about, but you are right, sometimes coaches just need to make those hard decisions.

Had a great time in Weber, Ogden, and Salt Lake City. Met a lot of really nice fans from Weber. Hope you guys have a better season from here on out. Thanks for your hospitality.
Like all your new stadium improvements. Only suggestion somebody needs to put out some more garbage cans. Maybe they just expect us to throw everything on the ground and sweep it up after the game? Nice upgrade to the facility for sure.

Honestly, I didn't expect Weber to win. I did expect Weber to keep it close and compete. Truly one of the most disappointing games I have attended. Wow...that is all I can say.

b18004e9-444c-47a6-85c9-7eccbed1f63d_text.gif

Latest posts

Back