• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Looking ahead to next year

wazzuwildcat03

Now that the season is officially over, I want to look ahead to next year. Such a bummer last night, but hot damn, I swear we were playing the Golden State Warriors last night in the second half. Did Steph Curry and Klay Thompson suit up for the Bobs in the second half? I thought we played hard for the most part, but when a team is that hot, not much you can do. Anyhoo, tough season, but was still overall fun. On to next year. That is one thing I love about sports, there is always the next year to look forward too. Who do we expect to return? Who do we expect to transfer? What do we need to transfer in? Lets discuss...............

We have 4 main rotation players set to return. Koheler, Threatt, Tew and Vartianian. I expect all 4 to be back next year, but you never know with the transfer portal. Assuming all 4 are back we need 4 more players to be in the top 8. Do we have anyone on the current roster that is in that top 8? The only one I think can be in the top 8 is Nemaja Saranec. He was out top recruit last year and redshirted, but have heard he was damn good in practice, but since he has never played, I'm going to not add him to top 8. I do think Jordan and Marco Saranec will be back, but they didn't show me much in the times they did play, but maybe another year of development for all 3 of those guys. (Jordan, and the 2 Serbian cousins) and maybe they can be in the top 8.

Sadly I don't see Revaz, Dockery, and Tamba being back next year. I feel bad for Dockery. He came here with a lot of hype, but never developed. Maybe his injury last year is still lingering. Maybe going down to D2 would be good for him. Tamba didn't improve at all from his Freshman year. He is just terrible. He should be in the NAIA. He seems like a good kid, but doesn't bring anything of worth. Revaz is the same. I'm still wondering why we brought him in. He was at Maryland for 3 years and never played. If you remember we had a guy named Danier Rouzon that transferred to Manhattan. Manhattan is not good, but he starts for them and averages more than 10 points. I would love to have had him instead of Revaz or Tamba. I'm sure there was more as to why he transferred. It is what it is.

So, if I'm correct in my transfers, we have 4 spots to fill. This is the year Duft and the other coaches show how good they are at recruiting. If the above 4 are the only 4 that are in the top 8, we need 4 neebies to be ready to come in and play. I would love legit PG, SG, SF and Center to come in either from the JC ranks or a transfer. I really hope Nemaja makes the top 8 and maybe Marco and Louie get better. Tamba, Revaz and Dockery, best of luck to you, but you're not D1.

It will be fun to watch the transfer portal for the entire Big Sky. Last year was crazy. I'm sure this year will be the same. I'm optimistic. :rockon: Lets go Weber....

How long is Duft under contract? I really feel like he is Randy 2.0. Our AD just keeps giving coaching positions to the next person in line and it needs to stop. I have been going to Weber State basketball games since Bruce Collins, Richard Smith days. I am so disappointed they went with the Duft. So many former players spoke so poorly of how they were treated by Duft. I was concerned that players would not give 100% for him when the time came.

Duft’s first year, he had a rough start and righted the ship and had the Wildcats playing tough and almost beat MSU in the tournament. This year was opposite…good start and then sloppy down the stretch…and blown out by MSU.

I wish for coaches to be successful. I don’t think things are going to turn around soon. Of course with transfer rules, things can rebound quickly. Maybe Jones getting drafted will bring in more talent…but they need to have the work ethic and defensive effort show in Duft’s last half of first season and first half of this season.

I don’t like how Rahe purposely exited late to make a search unlikely. If Duft doesn’t do anything in the next two years, who would apply? I thought Weber State would draw a lot of talent in the coaching world, but not so sure anymore.

I know football is different, but I was shocked how few recognizable names applied when Hill left. I think Ed Lamb would have applied if he already hadn’t accepted Northern Colorado, but it was discouraging.

I hope Duft makes some Xs and Os adjustments and gets some more talent, and back to full team defensive effort. I like Duft staying with Weber State so long for this chance and hope he can capitalize on it, but this year was a a good chance missed. I hope both he and Mental can be successful, but hope I can start believing it more than just hoping.

If the AD is going to only pull the next coach from staff as common practice, I can do that, and I need the money more. 😂

It was a good season, not a great one. I feel that it is sometimes difficult to coach a team when you have a potential NBA player. A coach is often torn between doing the best for the team or doing the best to showcase your star. All I am saying is that it makes the job harder and often the team suffers a bit.

We lose our star and two role players to graduation and the pros. We may also have a transfer or two. We will likely be signing 2 to 4 guys this spring. We have two early signees who will be joining us over the summer, a combo guard and a forward. Both are rated just over three stars. We also have one commitment for this spring, a combo guard who is not rated as far as I can see. We will probably be looking for depth in the post positions and maybe another point guard.

Without a star like dillon, I expect that our scoring will be a bit more spread out. I worry a bit about our rebounding and post defense. Everyone will have to step up, including the coaching staff in their recruiting. We need a bit more to push us over the top.

It will certainly be a new look on things next year.

Duft’s first year, he had a rough start and righted the ship and had the Wildcats playing tough and almost beat MSU in the tournament. This year was opposite…good start and then sloppy down the stretch…and blown out by MSU.

I wish for coaches to be successful. I don’t think things are going to turn around soon. Of course with transfer rules, things can rebound quickly. Maybe Jones getting drafted will bring in more talent…but they need to have the work ethic and defensive effort show in Duft’s last half of first season and first half of this season.

I don’t like how Rahe purposely exited late to make a search unlikely. If Duft doesn’t do anything in the next two years, who would apply? I thought Weber State would draw a lot of talent in the coaching world, but not so sure anymore.

I know football is different, but I was shocked how few recognizable names applied when Hill left. I think Ed Lamb would have applied if he already hadn’t accepted Northern Colorado, but it was discouraging.

I hope Duft makes some Xs and Os adjustments and gets some more talent, and back to full team defensive effort. I like Duft staying with Weber State so long for this chance and hope he can capitalize on it, but this year was a a good chance missed. I hope both he and Mental can be successful, but hope I can start believing it more than just hoping.

If the AD is going to only pull the next coach from staff as common practice, I can do that, and I need the money more. 😂
Dan Monson would look good in purple…

Latest posts

Back