• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Let's guess at a starting lineup

skippy57

For the men's team next year. Here's what I predict will be the ultimate two-deep, after all the normal, pre-season line-up experimentation shakes out:

C--Busma, Steijn, T. Taylor

PF--Monroe, Caspari, Steijn

SF--Stucki, Tatum

G-Morgan, Kilpatrick, P. Taylor

G--Carson, Bay, (freshman-redshirt?)

Wow, that's a lot of depth and versatility.

C-Busma backed up by Monroe and then Taylor
PF-Stein pushed by Caspari
F-Morgan pushed by Tatum
G-Stucki
PG-Bay (I assume P Taylor is a point guard?)

First guard off the bench: Carson

Crap, this is a deep team with a lot of versatility. Where does Kilpatrick fit in? gosh, I think there should be a red-shirt in this group or maybe two?

Busma and Bay are the two missing links for ISU. Last year there were too many players playing out of position. For example, Steijn is a natural 4, not a 5. Morgan is a natural 2, not a 1.

Here's the depth chart as I see it, starters in *bold:

PG: *Bay, Morgan, freshman-yet-to-be-named

SG: *Morgan or *Carson or *P. Taylor

SF: *Stucki, Kilpatrick or P. Taylor

PF: *Steijn or *Caspari, Tatum

C: *Busma, Steijn, T. Taylor

Kal Bay will be the floor leader, ISU fans should be very excited about that!

Taylor is a shooting guard/SF. I think Bay will see time at both guard spots. I believe the high school player who is being recruited is a PG. So, you could see both Morgan and Bay on the floor at the same time, splitting the PG duties, or the freshman, if he doesn't redshirt, playing the PG role. And then you have to ask about playing time for Carson, Kilpatrick, Tatum, etc. It's a good problem to have.

In figuring out who will start next year, I always give the nod to the kid who's been in the system for a year or two. JC kids just naturally take most of a year to fit into a new system, and to learn how to work hard again on both ends of the floor. I think Busma will be an exception because of his size and physical presence. No matter how you look at it, pending any transfers, grade problems or injuries (and we all remember how excited we were this time last year when Jackson and Maye were supposedly on board), this will be one of the deepest ISU teams in recent years.

(Oh and remember, these kids all bring weaknesses with them, that's why they're at Idaho State. Busma only averaged 9 points a game -- less than Steijn his last year in Juco -- so we can assume he doesn't have much of an offensive game. Bay, as was discussed earlier, has a very low assist to turnover ratio and probably isn't a true PG., etc. But it's nice to be able to mix and match the different strengths of 13 different players who can all contribute.)

Busma and Steijn can combine to be effective. Remember, you don't need 20 and 10 every night from the center position to be a good team.

The strength of this team could be its depth and lack of a superstar. Fans just may see six or seven players averaging 10-12ppg. That is a wonderful problem to have because the opponent will have a tough time focusing on one or two players.

Skippy, with all due respect - Bay is a TRUE POINT GUARD!

If you don't believe me, have a look at this:

http://wms2.streamhoster.com/kbay/wm9_600kbit_kal_2005.wmv

Or read this:

Kalvin Bay
Personal: 6'1", 170 pounds. Hometown is Tempe, Ariz.
Position: Point Guard
High school career: Bay, a four-year starter at Marco De Niza High School in Tempe, holds the Arizona state record for assists in a game with 15. He shot over 90 percent from the free-throw line during his high school career and was named All-State his junior year. He averaged 23.5 points per game his senior year to go along with 7.6 assists.

Get over it, many people do not feel like he is a true point guard, including from what I hear, some of the coaching staff. That does not mean that he is not a hell of a player and a very good shooter, that is why we recruited him. The fact is we have 3 or 4 guys that could play any position 1-3. If everybody qualifies and lives up to expectations we could have a 10 man rotation, there hasn't been depth like that here for a while. We really do not have need of 1 person to be the man because there will be so many capable of carrying the team on any given night.

The new guys will get a trial by fire of D1 ball in the nonconference schedule and hopefully will be in sync with the rest of the team by conference. In a 1 bid league all that matters is conference. Of course everybody thinks thier team is the best in conference in April, but I think that this is going to be an exciting year.

Bengal Junkie, get off the crack pipe!

I have watched Bay play many, many times and I can tell you for a fact he is the quintessential point guard!

1) Awesome ballhandler
2) Great court vision
3) Outstanding leader
4) Superb passer
5) Can shoot the 3-ball or take his man off the dribble

WATCH THIS VIDEO: http://wms2.streamhoster.com/kbay/wm9_600kbit_kal_2005.wmv

Reasonable people can disagree, Sweller, and I defer to someone who has actually seen Bay play (I have not). But when you look at his assist to turnover numbers (82 assists to 84 turnovers), those don't say, "great point guard." What I do love about him is his 3-point shooting (46 percent) and his FT numbers (87 percent). Also, from what I've gathered from others who have watched him play, he's a tough competitor and ISU has really needed someone who wants to have the ball in his hands for the tough shot. (How many games have the Bengals lost in the last two years when they've had the ball for a last shot and it seemed like nobody wanted to take it?)

Again, I point out that all of these kids will be bringing weaknesses with them -- that's why they're at Idaho State and not UCLA. But I'm excited about this recruiting class and look forward to watching them play.

ditto that skippy - FWIW - I spoke to a few of these players - a chance to go to the NCAA as well as OB staff and integrity was the motivating factor for the players choosing ISU, I know Busma and Bay had several other schools to choose from and Bay was only firm a couple of days ago - so yeah their not the big time high major players but they CHOSE ISU and I think that speaks volumes about the young men

I think Bay will be the PG but the staff is smart and will change things up as the games are played, depending on matchups Bay may play the 2 sometimes in addition we will probably see 4 guards on the floor at times - I think the fact the the PG may be shared by a couple of players is just basketball - when the game is tight or on the line - I bet Bay is in control and ISU desperately needs that

I dont think it will take a year to see the typical adjustments in the first year from these transfers......Bay played every game 20+ minutes in the BIG12 - Busma EU playing past - Taylor self made - I think they will adjust rather quickly which would be HUGE.....granted my glass is half full but I really believe we are in good shape!

FYI - the kid guarding Bay in that video at the beginning is Scottie Reynolds of Villanova, Boo Williams gets pissed and switches up - that Boo Williams team was loaded, Duke Crews, Scottie Reynolds 7 kids went High Major D1 - that tournament was the MDC in New Orleans I recognized several other current HM players on that video as well - cool vid!

Ditto to Buffnation, I too think that we are in good shape.

The maturity, experience, and leadership that we bring back will make it that much easier for the new players to integrate. That is something I think we were missing at the beginning of the season last year. Many players were trying to figure out what thier role was and didn't have time to worry about anybody else's role. I think everyone knows where they stand now and will be able to help those coming in.

just watched the videos again and Bay never gets close to the college 3point line when he shoots, he is NBA range on almost every 3....anyone else notice that? I remember watching him in boulder and never really paid that much attention to it, but with the line being moved back I think that his range will be a huge asset

our passing lanes should open up like the grand canyon I think Taylor and Carson/Morgan could have huge seasons as a result of Busma and Bay on the floor.....you wont be able to double Busma all that much with Stucki, Bay burying 3's and give Carson, Morgan or Taylor a step and they will get to the rim...that puts a TON of pressure on the opposing teams!!

OMG I am already getting excited for next season - this should be FUN!!!!

I am predicting back-to-back Big Sky titles and NCAA tournament berths. Remember, while at Colorado Bay played against the best guards in the country in the biggest venues!

Here he is guarding Brandon Rush of Kansas a year ago:
340x.jpg

Latest posts

Back