• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

GNAC football in trouble?

bigskyconf

Azusa Pacific announces that they are dropping football.

https://athletics.apu.edu/news/2020/12/15/azusa-pacific-to-advance-a-renewed-vision-of-athletics-excellence-with-elimination-of-football.aspx

With the loss of Azusa and Humboldt recently, and Dixie State's move up to DI, combined with Simon Fraser's iffy status, what will happen with Central Washington and Western Oregon? They don't have the resources to join Dixie in a move to DI. Do they drop back and join the NAIA's Frontier Conference in football? Both Southern and Eastern are in the Frontier as football members only.

There’s either been rumors about Central moving up, or someone’s really working hard to jump-start that rumor. Recent stadium improvements haven’t hurt that. However, the financial rumors about the state’s system are more relevant..

Or make a last-ditch effort to get Southern out of NAIA. Fair bet someone’s soul would have to be sold...

HOWEVER...

let things shake down. Because more things will shake down.

For instance, Aloha Stadium is shutting down indefinitely, and Hawaii football says they’ll have to figure out where to play for 2021. No, they won’t go D2. My point is that this won’t be the only thing to shake down.

I just approached this subject on one of the ultimate nerd boards... a message board devoted to conference realignments. When you bring up all the variables involved in this, the conclusion:

What a freaking mess!

I think the key variable here is the fact that full GNAC membership means traveling to Alaska. I’ve been around long enough to know how much “minor” programs (pro and college) hate that.

Pounder said:
I just approached this subject on one of the ultimate nerd boards... a message board devoted to conference realignments. When you bring up all the variables involved in this, the conclusion:

What a freaking mess!

I think the key variable here is the fact that full GNAC membership means traveling to Alaska. I’ve been around long enough to know how much “minor” programs (pro and college) hate that.

The Southland being pulled to the left (by the WAC) and to the right (by the A-SUN). Or maybe the other way around.

The GNAC is imploding, but it was a basketball conference that played football, right? The College of Idaho was supposed to be joining the GNAC I think in 2021, but they are now silent on the matter.

I blame COVID. Seems the easiest thing to do.

One smarter idea... in D-1.

Central Washington
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Oregon

(Southern may not have as many athletic building blocks as CWU, but they done good in NAIA and have the better fan base from which to build)

Convince UC Davis and Cal Poly to move football to this

Convince one or more of Western Oregon, Western Washington, maybe a private I’m forgetting to upgrade or start up football. Maybe try to energize OSU-Bend to gain independence and start athletics. Maybe this is how you get Humboldt to bring back football.

That’s already too much convincing that needs to be done. But it’s starting to look like the Big Sky is only sustainable for Montana State.

Oh, after this, you can add Seattle U from the WAC, add a couple other D-2 schools for basketball only, and you’ll probably be alright in a tighter footprint.

https://wildcatsports.com/news/2021/11/18/wildcats-gnac-football-teams-granted-affiliate-membership-in-lone-star-conference.aspx

GNAC football schools are joining the Lone Star Conference.

That’ll be kind of a necessity for the Lone Star as the WAC and Southland might be looking to bring up one or two current Lone Star schools.

Got a question for Alan. I’m mystified as to why WOU started up men’s soccer this year.

Ever since I noticed that, I’ve kind of wanted to pose the question of whether that’s meant to eventually be a replacement for football.

Though there’s another possibility I only started considering this weekend. Just add golf for men and women, if soccer sticks, and WOU only needs admission to a conference to go D-1.

So what’s up?

Pounder said:
Got a question for Alan. I’m mystified as to why WOU started up men’s soccer this year.

Ever since I noticed that, I’ve kind of wanted to pose the question of whether that’s meant to eventually be a replacement for football.

Though there’s another possibility I only started considering this weekend. Just add golf for men and women, if soccer sticks, and WOU only needs admission to a conference to go D-1.

So what’s up?

Pounder, I think it was an enrollment move. No other D2 men's soccer programs in Oregon. Few kids expecting a scholarship and a lot of HS soccer in the mid valley. WOU expects the program to attract students and their tuition covers the cost of the program. At least that is my take.

Edit: after further inquiry it has a lot to do with the male-female ratio at WOU.

Latest posts

Back