• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Fire Ed

Two words. Fire him. Ed McCaffrey should be gone before he ever coaches a game. He isn't the right person for the job and as an alumni, I wouldn't send my son to play for him. To start, his own kids live in the transfer portal. What happened to the days of "Work hard and figure it out". Instead he promotes a culture that if its tough, run and find someone else that will spoon feed you. The way he has handled his staff is embarrassing. Months after he was hired, a member of his staff was fired for stealing from the players locker room. The player confronted the coach and he played dumb then he played a sound on his apple watch and it was in the coaches desk - embarrassing and should come back on the man who hired him. He fired our only coach with big time college football experience (OC) because he wanted to call plays in a spring scrimmage. He then walked down the hall and fired our best recruiter (RB coach) because he was the OC's boy. I am sick of seeing him hire coaches with no experience too. Hell, Max never GA'ed or had any experience and he's a full time coach. Next, you can't just cut players because they don't fit your system. This is an NCAA sport - not the NFL. He has cut or medically disqualified captains and former starters. Next, he is NEVER at the office or in the building and we are so far behind on recruiting its not even funny. THIS IS A FULL TIME JOB ED. We cant go get 15+ transfers every year and expect to succeed. You have to recruit solid players and build a culture. Next, he does nothing to raise money for the program or promote what is going on. Isn't this a big reason we hired him? When asked to be at events, he tells Dunn he is too busy and Dunn (as his boss) is too scared to step up and say something. He has deliberately ignored alumni events and done nothing to engage the community. The program is headed in a very dark direction and I am scared we will lose football if it continues to go this way. I urge everyone to step up and call or email Dunn and demand something be done. 99.9% of coaches cant stand the idea of the transfer portal. The 0.01% that can includes Ed McCaffrey and his own sons live in it along with the 10-12 players he forces out every year.

BearDown18 said:
Two words. Fire him. Ed McCaffrey should be gone before he ever coaches a game. He isn't the right person for the job and as an alumni, I wouldn't send my son to play for him. To start, his own kids live in the transfer portal. What happened to the days of "Work hard and figure it out". Instead he promotes a culture that if its tough, run and find someone else that will spoon feed you. The way he has handled his staff is embarrassing. Months after he was hired, a member of his staff was fired for stealing from the players locker room. The player confronted the coach and he played dumb then he played a sound on his apple watch and it was in the coaches desk - embarrassing and should come back on the man who hired him. He fired our only coach with big time college football experience (OC) because he wanted to call plays in a spring scrimmage. He then walked down the hall and fired our best recruiter (RB coach) because he was the OC's boy. I am sick of seeing him hire coaches with no experience too. Hell, Max never GA'ed or had any experience and he's a full time coach. Next, you can't just cut players because they don't fit your system. This is an NCAA sport - not the NFL. He has cut or medically disqualified captains and former starters. Next, he is NEVER at the office or in the building and we are so far behind on recruiting its not even funny. THIS IS A FULL TIME JOB ED. We cant go get 15+ transfers every year and expect to succeed. You have to recruit solid players and build a culture. Next, he does nothing to raise money for the program or promote what is going on. Isn't this a big reason we hired him? When asked to be at events, he tells Dunn he is too busy and Dunn (as his boss) is too scared to step up and say something. He has deliberately ignored alumni events and done nothing to engage the community. The program is headed in a very dark direction and I am scared we will lose football if it continues to go this way. I urge everyone to step up and call or email Dunn and demand something be done. 99.9% of coaches cant stand the idea of the transfer portal. The 0.01% that can includes Ed McCaffrey and his own sons live in it along with the 10-12 players he forces out every year.
This sounds like a former player is upset about one of his former teammates or friend that got let go or lost a starting position by one of the new recruits. I think it's fairly common for a new coach to reevaluate the talent on the team and make changes that they feel will make the team better. We know that things had to change in order for the team to get out the losing mode that they were getting stuck in. Give the new coach a chance. He hasn't even had a game yet to see what he can accomplish. I am hoping for good things and I think that most of the fans out there are hoping for that also.

Unfortunately, I have heard (from first-hand) the same thing. Things are not going well in G-town with coach Ed. The program is not centered around the kids coming in and playing football and getting an education, it's rather about the McCaffrey family.

All one needs to do is see what happened with coach Baldwin.

I think we will come to grips with what this man is about soon enough - either he wins by recruiting better players and leaves within 2 years or Dunn fires him and he goes back to coaching little league, and we as fans are stuck again. Most will realize the school should have done more in its power to hire Jed Stugart. He is obviously not a flashy name like coach Ed, but he's got integrity and he's a UNC Bear. Coach Ed has NOTHING to do with UNC's past. Oh well...carry on Bear fans.

Blofeld said:
I mean the standard previously was 0 to 2 wins a year so if he can't do that than yah.....

Yeah, the bar is low. I'll be at some games at Nottingham and and I'm really looking forward to the CU game Labor Day weekend. I have a hunch though that we will regret not making sure Stugart got the job in the long run. I hope coach McCafrey has a long successful tenure at UNC.

About two months away from Fall camp and we still have no offensive coordinator, and running backs coach. SMH. :oops:

You all sound like a bunch of butt hurt ass clowns, the program will be better mark my words, the players and coaches he has gotten rid of weren’t buying in to the changes, see me in December!

Beanhead said:
You all sound like a bunch of butt hurt ass clowns, the program will be better mark my words, the players and coaches he has gotten rid of weren’t buying in to the changes, see me in December!

I think we all hope you are right. It does concern me that he is really a commuter coach and is most likely a short term caretaker. Either he does well and moves on quickly or he gives up after a season.

Beanhead said:
Trust me my son plays so I feel like I have a pretty good feel for what’s going on

That's actually really encouraging. Lets hope your optimism is rewarded. We spent far too long under Collins so I sure as heck would love to see us start to really compete in football (hell, just .500 in conference would be a big step in the right direction).

The fact that the stadium is now having a turf field installed and a new $5 million performance center UNDER construction may show some of the impact our coach is having on the program. Have you looked at the incoming recruits , many locals and 5-6 Hugh transfers. Ed does not have the luxury of building over time. NOW is his moment to reverse the spiral down. Reserve judgement until December.

Ugh, I hate fake turf (not sure how that's an upgrade). Keep the grass and update the visiting section.

I can't stand artificial turf. I am glad we held on to natural grass as long as we did though. My thought would have been to get money for lights and a larger east-side stands. Lights for the night game at Nottingham would be awesome.

Brian said:
Ugh, I hate fake turf (not sure how that's an upgrade). Keep the grass and update the visiting section.

Having natural grass when practically every other school in the conference had turf was causing logistical issues with practice and whatnot, so I'm perfectly fine with them going to turf.

Ha - Ed is too big time to show up to Media Day. Sends his son who has zero coaching experience and zoom's in from his home in south Denver. He is a joke of a head coach.

Beanhead said:
Trust me my son plays so I feel like I have a pretty good feel for what’s going on

Glad your son is happy. As a former player I can tell you I always thought we were going to be good. Let's be reasonable. We are going to win 2-3 games. I hope I am wrong. I will be out there at every game either way supporting the kids - not the coach.

I don't think Ed will be around much longer, but I don't think Dunn will fire him. I predict he will quit either this season or next. He will realize this job is not worth the little money he is going make, nor is the school going to support him with facilities, etc. I think he will go back to high school coaching, or broadcasting very soon.

You must really love UNC to coach here. Earnest Collins, Marty English, Kay Dalton, Joe Glenn, Jed Stugart, all love UNC...coach Ed does not.

Beardown said:
I don't think Ed will be around much longer, but I don't think Dunn will fire him. I predict he will quit either this season or next. He will realize this job is not worth the little money he is going make, nor is the school going to support him with facilities, etc. I think he will go back to high school coaching, or broadcasting very soon.

You must really love UNC to coach here. Earnest Collins, Marty English, Kay Dalton, Joe Glenn, Jed Stugart, all love UNC...coach Ed does not.

I couldn't agree more.

Yeah, it's a damned shame he surrounded himself with family lackeys'. He could have done with an experienced coach (like Kay Dalton was to Joe Glenn).

And we just can't afford to fire anyone.

Okay, this is the guys first season and his first year was basically limbo due to COVID. His recruiting has been better than the past decade of UNC football and has also utilized the transfer portal fairly well. Yeah, the nepotism is annoying but Dylan is the best and most dynamic QB of the bunch. We saw that when we lost to Lamar. His ability to move in the pocket was missed.

As for defense, this is the best I have seen UNC have in a few years. Hell, Xander Gagnon the linebacker from Duke has alone been a breath of fresh air on that side of the ball.

Ed has taken over a program that hasn't seen success in over a decade. The money is not there to pay the assistants what many of the other Big Sky schools pay. Those coaches are going to leave when they get an uptick in pay. It's frustrating but this season was going to be a struggle with all the top notch teams in the conference...Oh yeah, and Colorado (that was a slam).

Give him at minimum 3 years or we will not be able to get anyone to come that's worth it. Coaches see how others are treated and we can't bounce Ed this quickly. Again....we also don't have the money.

I'm a UNC alum but a lifelong Nebraskan and Husker fan. Hate to say it but I've been there when coaches aren't given the time or support they need. There's a stigma that comes with it in the coaching community that doesn't go away easily.

Basically, I'd keep expecting some nasty losses this season and hope for development in the next year. The Big Sky is one of the best if not the best overall football conference in the FCS. Think of it like the SEC and we are Kentucky if that analogy makes any sense. It's going to take time.

Latest posts

Back