• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

EWU vs Weber St. Game Day thread

9ebfa7a509fb8a748c61497ac95a0ac3.gif

I suspected that there was enough time left on the clock for Weber to get into scoring position. Why can't the D stop giving up huge plays at the most inopportune times?

Atomic Eagle said:
I suspected that there was enough time left on the clock for Weber to get into scoring position. Why can't the D stop giving up huge plays at the most inopportune times?

three man rush gave up the big play. personnel was wrong too. went right back to speed rushers and pressure next play. PI's were mostly BS today. Weber is a poor passing team for a reason.

Happy for the players as well. Hopefully this win gives them a little bit of confidence going into the Portland State game next weekend. I also hope we can get a little healthier in a week as we're looking pretty decimated at key positions.

Atomic Eagle said:

Play calling.

Great Win! I think the offense/OC did a great job keeping Weber State off balance on defense. Kekoa and Tuna had a traditional run/pass look, and #15 with a wildcat style was a great 1-2 punch. The final drive took almost all the time off the clock, and the offense scored an TD to make a comeback unlikely, and the defense stood tall and closed the show. Great homecoming win. The announcers mentioned Justice Jackson didn’t dress, but I’m happy for Tuna. He finally had a great game rushing, catching and blocking. I hope the Win translates to more wins this season.

New record: 3-4 (2-2)

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
Great Win! I think the offense/OC did a great job keeping Weber State off balance on defense. Kekoa and Tuna had a traditional run/pass look, and #15 with a wildcat style was a great 1-2 punch. The final drive took almost all the time off the clock, and the offense scored an TD to make a comeback unlikely, and the defense stood tall and closed the show. Great homecoming win. The announcers mentioned Justice Jackson didn’t dress, but I’m happy for Tuna. He finally had a great game rushing, catching and blocking. I hope the Win translates to more wins this season.

The last drive of the game may have been the most dominating drive I've seen from Eastern in a long while. They couldn't stop Taylor. And yet, the defense still almost threw the game away with a 50 yard pass right to the middle of the field. Even when we do great things, we find a way to nearly mess it up.

I think we found something that gives us balance... using Visperas to toss the ball around while interspersing Taylor with quick runs is a good platform offensively. Taylor has more heart running the ball than we're accustomed to with this offense. He adds a layer of complexity and makes us a lot better. It's crazy to note how many snaps he took and didn't register a single pass attempt.

I'm still terrified whenever the D is on the field. We still have huge gaps in our zone coverage and miss a lot of tackles. After seeing us play hard defensively early in the year, it feels like we're regressing. I know 23 points isn't a lot, but Weber has been tragically bad offensively, but they looked decent against our D. I'd highlight Matt Brown, though, as he was our best defensive player yesterday and had a great game,

LDopaPDX said:
HeavyIsTheCrown said:

The last drive of the game may have been the most dominating drive I've seen from Eastern in a long while. They couldn't stop Taylor. And yet, the defense still almost threw the game away with a 50 yard pass right to the middle of the field. Even when we do great things, we find a way to nearly mess it up.

I think we found something that gives us balance... using Visperas to toss the ball around while interspersing Taylor with quick runs is a good platform offensively. Taylor has more heart running the ball than we're accustomed to with this offense. He adds a layer of complexity and makes us a lot better. It's crazy to note how many snaps he took and didn't register a single pass attempt.

I'm still terrified whenever the D is on the field. We still have huge gaps in our zone coverage and miss a lot of tackles. After seeing us play hard defensively early in the year, it feels like we're regressing. I know 23 points isn't a lot, but Weber has been tragically bad offensively, but they looked decent against our D. I'd highlight Matt Brown, though, as he was our best defensive player yesterday and had a great game,

Taylor has some "want to" or that drive doesn't happen. I've said it before but Tuna is a good lead blocker too. Lots of other things they could do out of that formation they didn't, but maybe they didn't need too. Glad to see the OL play well on that last drive.

As far as the D regression.... I believe when Aaron spoke to creating TO's after the 3rd game, they changed how they were tackling to accommodate that directive and for some reason, haven't gone back to the earlier paradigm. It's apparent that most plays the D is trying to dislodge the ball and giving additional yards and big plays as a result. Yes, I still think Aaron is dictating the defense when they don't consistently maintain the edge or run the LB's into the OL kamikaze style or go to 3 man rushes and give up big chunk plays in zones they have no business being in so often. I could be incorrect, but that's what it looks like to me. Eagles have shown they can get a pass rush and have good stats on TFL's.

I don't know who flogged Aaron, but appreciate the diversity of the offensive effort given the QB talent available and the teams willingness to execute. The WR's and RB's are definitely giving up touches to be team players. 27 passing attempts and 46 rushes in this game for the offense. Wild stuff and makes this team far more difficult to scheme for although I thought Weber did a good job of recognizing the QB changes for most of the game.

Big shout out to true freshman Ganter for making that last play. Eags digging deep in the roster apparently and the young man came through.

LDopaPDX said:
HeavyIsTheCrown said:

The issue you’re seeing from the defense is Nobody knows how to run a defense correctly. Most of these defensive coordinators have no clue what to call in pass coverage. If there’s a situation where the offense must score in a two-minute drill, they automatically call prevent. They don’t realize it’s ultra predictable and it allows for big plays underneath. The totally forget about pressure on the quarterback and go into ultra prevent which causes undo stress on the players and breeds chaos naturally. That’s how big plays happen. Every time, it never fails. A calm defense realizes they have the upper hand with the lead and the clock is running. There’s 1:45 seconds left, and instead of calling ultra prevent (it’s actually not a prevent scenario) they call cover 4 with four of their best athletes drop back and cover deep. This leaves seven other men in the box that can still put pressure on the quarterback, and have flat help. With the lead smart coverages lead to interceptions.

LDopaPDX said:
HeavyIsTheCrown said:

As shown in Saturday’s game, Eastern has extreme potential with that recipe they cooked up. Teams can’t handle the twin turbo barrel. You can either shut down the run game and stop Kekoa on 3rd down or you can stop a wildcat Qb that can throw the ball if he needs to: but ya can’t stop both. They need to stick to that exact recipe from here on out, and let Justice Jackson get 10+ touches a game.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
LDopaPDX said:
HeavyIsTheCrown said:

The issue you’re seeing from the defense is Nobody knows how to run a defense correctly. Most of these defensive coordinators have no clue what to call in pass coverage. If there’s a situation where the offense must score in a two-minute drill, they automatically call prevent. They don’t realize it’s ultra predictable and it allows for big plays underneath. The totally forget about pressure on the quarterback and go into ultra prevent which causes undo stress on the players and breeds chaos naturally. That’s how big plays happen. Every time, it never fails. A calm defense realizes they have the upper hand with the lead and the clock is running. There’s 1:45 seconds left, and instead of calling ultra prevent (it’s actually not a prevent scenario) they call cover 4 with four of their best athletes drop back and cover deep. This leaves seven other men in the box that can still put pressure on the quarterback, and have flat help. With the lead smart coverages lead to interceptions.

I agree. Aaron doesn't know how to run a defense. Sheesh, any other actual DC should have a clue but if not, learning from mistakes is 101 in life.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
LDopaPDX said:
HeavyIsTheCrown said:

You are so right on this. There are times when our DL just needs to maintain gap control and they are nowhere to be found. Our blitz packages are ruthlessly ineffective. There are times we send 6 and - somehow - they all get blocked with 5 guys. Our safeties play too deep (this has been a defensive problem for YEARS) and leave these massive spaces in front of them. I'd say it again, I don't care if we never force a turnover if we can play 3 great defensive plays in a row more often than not.

clawman said:
Pretty impressive how smart keyboard play callers get AFTER the fact

Oddly, many of us have mastered our professions and expect others to do the same. Most of us can't go back to the "tape" to learn from our mistakes. Typical clawman... :roll:

Latest posts

Back