• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

EWU vs. Idaho Game Day Thread

EWURanger

Staff member
Should be a good one. Really glad it's at home. Idaho' and MSU are probably the best teams in the BSC at the moment.

I think EWU could win this one.

2-2 on the seasons, with all games so far against ranked opponents or FBS. And we're a mistake away from potentially being 3-1 with double OT against Fresno state. And how many FBS teams do we think NDSU would beat this year? Tonight the offense made the right plays at the right time as did the defense who I'd say were a big factor in 10 of our points.

I feel like the team has started to figure things out pretty quick this season and against tough opponents. If we were to play NDSU now instead of the first game of the seasons I can't say we'd certainly win, but the score would be much closer.

Dare I say it that this team reminds me of a team some 13 years back that showed similar grit?

Man, I hate these guys. Roos better be sold out because it's going to take a loud and raucous crowd plus several lucky breaks to win this one.

eaglesfootball said:
48-16 is all you need to know about this game. Unless we've closed the gap significantly in one year, we're in trouble.

You could point to the massacre we sustained last year to a lot of teams and assume the same. We played much worse than the sum of our parts last year. It was just a complete trainwreck. We started losing and lost all confidence and just kept falling further and further. it was like we lost our heart.

This year, we're quite a bit better. We're far more physical. We have some of the same defects (poor rush defense, sometimes inaccruate pass offense), but those problems aren't nearly as glaring as last year. So yeah, I'd say we legitimately might be 5-6 TDs better than 2022.

It seems sort of inevitable that Idaho would eventually find their footing back in the FCS. Getting rid of their previous coach was probably the best move they made apart from having the guts to move back to the Big Sky, which is probably where they belonged all along. If the defense can find some fire like they did in the Fresno State game, our young QB plays within himself, and we can find more efficiency in the red zone, then this could actually be a decent game.

EagInTexas said:
and we can find more efficiency in the red zone, then this could actually be a decent game.

Therein lies the problem. I think we can move the ball against just about anyone but there are still big question marks in red zone efficiency. I feel like we left a lot off points on the the field for the second game in a row. Frankly some of the play calling has been a little suspect in those situations.

The more I don't pay attention to Chemistry class in Fulmer Hall at WSU the more I think we could win this game. At home a way better Eastern team who can force turnovers and play in a shootout if needed. Our defense will be the key 4 or 5 stops/turnovers will give us a great chance to win.

WazzuEag said:
The more I don't pay attention to Chemistry class in Fulmer Hall at WSU the more I think we could win this game. At home a way better Eastern team who can force turnovers and play in a shootout if needed. Our defense will be the key 4 or 5 stops/turnovers will give us a great chance to win.

Idaho is strong defensively, but they have given up the two highest scores of the season in the last two weeks. However, one of those was a good Sac State team and the other was Pac-2's Cal (aka the new bitch of the ACC). We need to keep this score low... the good news is Idaho's offense is only a little better than average. Their Soph RB, Woods, will likely see a lot of carries. I don't think he's as good as UC Davis' RB Larisson, but he's good enough. Keep that guy on or around 100 yards, and we're in good shape. If he blows us up on the ground, it's not going to be good. After last week, I'm still sketched out by our ability to stop the run.

All things considered, I think this will be a little closer game than a lot of folks think...certainly closer than what they're predicting on the Idaho board. I think we've seen some flashes of what this team can do, but it'll take a complete performance to put the Vandals away. We need to play fast, build a quick lead (see red zone efficiency) and keep the peddle to the metal for the duration of the game. I expect they'll try to lean on us like SELA and Davis did, so 3rd down stops will be key.

EWURanger said:
I expect they'll try to lean on us like SELA and Davis did, so 3rd down stops will be key.

It looks like they have one back who gets the majority of the carries so I wonder what their depth is like behind that guy if they decide to go run-heavy like Davis did.

LDopaPDX said:
WazzuEag said:

Idaho is strong defensively, but they have given up the two highest scores of the season in the last two weeks. However, one of those was a good Sac State team and the other was Pac-2's Cal (aka the new bitch of the ACC). We need to keep this score low... the good news is Idaho's offense is only a little better than average. Their Soph RB, Woods, will likely see a lot of carries. I don't think he's as good as UC Davis' RB Larisson, but he's good enough. Keep that guy on or around 100 yards, and we're in good shape. If he blows us up on the ground, it's not going to be good. After last week, I'm still sketched out by our ability to stop the run.

LOL. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22/p2

Idaho ranks well above Eastern in total offense and defense. Well, actually every stat that matters... PI's could impact this one. It'll be a battle

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/rank...org_id=207&ranking_period=15&sport_code=MFB

luckyintheorder said:
LDopaPDX said:
WazzuEag said:

Idaho ranks well above Eastern in total offense and defense. Well, actually every stat that matters... PI's could impact this one. It'll be a battle

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/rank...org_id=207&ranking_period=15&sport_code=MFB

I'm not sure how much stock I put into mostly non-conference states through only 4 games played. Looking at Massey, Idaho has the 10th overall SoS while Eastern comes in at 3rd. Also not a ton of difference in power rankings (5th versus 10th).

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

Savages said:
luckyintheorder said:
LDopaPDX said:
WazzuEag said:

I'm not sure how much stock I put into mostly non-conference states through only 4 games played. Looking at Massey, Idaho has the 10th overall SoS while Eastern comes in at 3rd. Also not a ton of difference in power rankings (5th versus 10th).

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

4 games is a good litmus for stats and I made the broader assumption that the SoS was fairly equal as your statement bears out. My feeling is, as long as we aren't trying to lie to ourselves stats can be useful. Anything is possible but the stats still favor Idaho. Eagles have some talent. Will be interested to see if Idaho D jumps on all those short passes to the edge since Visperas is completely inaccurate on the deep pass and the coaches abandon the middle pass on key downs. Think Eastern has enough DB talent to cover Idaho's WR's adequately, but not if they have to defend the run due to lack of front seven discipline.

Looks like idaho favored by 6.5 about right haven't seen vegas odds yet

https://www.collegefootballpoll.com/fcs/weekly-picks/

Latest posts

Back