• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Beau Baldwin out at ASU

Offense isn't our problem. I'm not saying the offense is great, but it's always been good enough. The other side of the ball? That's the Achilles heel, every single damn year.

I watched Montana and South Dakota State, and neither was great offensively. Both were decent, but probably no better than Eastern. But they fly around on defense in a way we never have. This next DC hire will make or break Aaron Best. If the team is still a nightmare on defense- lacking physicality and any kind of cohesive scheme- he doesn't make it to another contract.

The good news is the schedule stacks up far more favorably next year than it has in a long while. If there was a year for Eastern to get back on the good side, it's 2024.

LDopaPDX said:
Offense isn't our problem. I'm not saying the offense is great, but it's always been good enough. The other side of the ball? That's the Achilles heel, every single damn year.

I watched Montana and South Dakota State, and neither was great offensively. Both were decent, but probably no better than Eastern. But they fly around on defense in a way we never have. This next DC hire will make or break Aaron Best. If the team is still a nightmare on defense- lacking physicality and any kind of cohesive scheme- he doesn't make it to another contract.

The good news is the schedule stacks up far more favorably next year than it has in a long while. If there was a year for Eastern to get back on the good side, it's 2024.

Great defenses have that "mean and nasty" that offenses fear. If that is not the nature of coaching staff the players will never get there.

LDopaPDX said:

The offense the past two years has been absolutely abysmal compared to historical norms at EWU.

Atomic Eagle said:
LDopaPDX said:

The offense the past two years has been absolutely abysmal compared to historical norms at EWU.

The defense the past two years has been absolutely abysmal compared to historical norms at EWU.

The difference is the recent historical norms for offense are an extremely high bar. The recent historical norms for defense have been poor. And yet, we're moving backwards defensively from an already bad standard. Having some juggernaut offense that is among the 5 or so best at the FCS level is difficult to accomplish. Having a defense that is above the median and keeps you in games is a much easier thing to build.

Atomic Eagle said:
LDopaPDX said:

Well, this is true...but the context is that we typically have a top 3 offense every year and without elite QB play and receivers the past couple of seasons, we've taken a step back. But I do think that the reason the offense has looked "bad" the past couple of years is somewhat relative.

LDopaPDX said:
Atomic Eagle said:
LDopaPDX said:

The defense the past two years has been absolutely abysmal compared to historical norms at EWU.

The difference is the recent historical norms for offense are an extremely high bar. The recent historical norms for defense have been poor. And yet, we're moving backwards defensively from an already bad standard. Having some juggernaut offense that is among the 5 or so best at the FCS level is difficult to accomplish. Having a defense that is above the median and keeps you in games is a much easier thing to build.

Also true. It doesn't seem like it would take a lot to at least be competent on the defensive side of the ball.

Anyone heard where he's landed?
Assistant OC with the Seahawks
I guess stability for your family doesn't matter if the offer is good enough.

Family stability can mean being closer to grandparents and other family. Being that he grew up in Battleground WA I wonder if that wasn't part of it.

Are you talking about Baldwin? If so, I haven't seen/heard anything as of now.

Just got hired as the QB coach for Calgary in the CFL.

I never gave this much thought before, but I’d imagine Baldwin’s style would make him a great fit for the CFL. He could easily spend his career there and have a high probability of being very successful. Would that represent enough money to keep him happy? The pay between big NCAA coach and CFL coach has grown a LOT.

Assistant OC with the Seahawks

Family stability can mean being closer to grandparents and other family. Being that he grew up in Battleground WA I wonder if that wasn't part of it.

Maybe, still need a job though. I don't think being apart of an entirely new NFL team staff means stability. Couple bad seasons and they could all be gone.

Latest posts

Back