• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Bears close out season...

Beardown

with another loss. They didn't have the talent we usually see at Jackson. I wonder if coach is the next to get axed?

I think we'd all agree this season was a bit of a step backwards from last year.

Ultimately though this program needs some capital investment to really be able to build something for the future. Every other program in the department has received facility upgrades... except maybe women's swimming... except baseball. Jackson Field needs a total revamping to get up to a decent WAC standard (that 3rd base dugout is from the stone age) and the scholarship situation needs to be made right... then, and only then, can you expect decent teams consistently.

Again, just my opinion.

Coincidentally enough there is an article in today's Denver Post regarding UNC baseball and the competitive disadvantage they are at not having a conference and having a small budget, not enough scholarships, etc.

Good article. I'm glad Hinrichs is working hard at getting us into a conference. This school has too much of a good history in basebal to not have a conference. I'm encouraged to hear the WAC hasn't totally shut us out. Why would they let Sac St in as baseball only, but not us? Sort of a double standard. Mid-Cont wouldn't be bad either. By the way, John Ray should just shut it. He didn't have to come here to play.

The WAC is headquartered here in Denver about a mile from where I live around Arapahoe and I-25. If we can't get into that conference they really should be kicked out of the state... also, I'll egg Karl Benson's car, I'm not above that you know.

"We go to places where their entire outfield wall is covered by advertisements," said UNC's John Ray, a senior catcher. "We've only got a couple."

And if someone forgets to take those banners down, they get stolen. :roll:

Well so far the Bears are 1-1 in the indy championships. They crushed Chicago St. 17-3. I hope they do well there, it would be great for recruting.

If anyone watched the UNC game on Comcast they did a good job of outlining the issues the program faces.

First, is the need for money which will need to come from privates sources... although I do believe the facility needs a few million dollars in upgrades and that's on the university.

Also, really any hope for the future is pinned to getting in a conference. Getting in a conference means you get to schedule home games and have a decent chance to win a few games. It also helps recruiting and to legitimize your program. Smallcomb indicated they are again applying to the WAC so that really would be important to get that deal done. Also heard rumblings about the Mid-Con which would be less desirable yet still very critical at this juncture.

Blofeld said:
If anyone watched the UNC game on Comcast they did a good job of outlining the issues the program faces.

First, is the need for money which will need to come from privates sources... although I do believe the facility needs a few million dollars in upgrades and that's on the university.

Also, really any hope for the future is pinned to getting in a conference. Getting in a conference means you get to schedule home games and have a decent chance to win a few games. It also helps recruiting and to legitimize your program. Smallcomb indicated they are again applying to the WAC so that really would be important to get that deal done. Also heard rumblings about the Mid-Con which would be less desirable yet still very critical at this juncture.

Well...you can do your part. You said you lived right nex to the WAC headquaters...Bring the commish a nice bottle of wine! :wink: :wink:

with another loss. They didn't have the talent we usually see at Jackson. I wonder if coach is the next to get axed?

The talent is there, at least enough talent to compete with decent division I teams. The quality of coaching and inconsistencies in the tenure of the baseball staff are what I believe to be the problem.....trust me, I've seen it first hand for two years.

Do you mean the Asst. coaches? Because Smallcomb has been here for years and has many years of coaching expierience. No matter what he does he's leaps and bounds better than his predesesor Hensley but I'll just leave it at that because it's just my opinion but I was not a hensley fan even before he came to UNC.

Phineas J. Whoopee said:
Do you mean the Asst. coaches? Because Smallcomb has been here for years and has many years of coaching expierience. No matter what he does he's leaps and bounds better than his predesesor Hensley but I'll just leave it at that because it's just my opinion but I was not a hensley fan even before he came to UNC.

Yes, sorry I meant inconsistencies among the assistants ...I do too think that Smallcomb has done leaps and bounds for the program in recent years, however, there may be more qualified candidates who may be able to accomplish the same Smallcomb has over recent years. Additionally, I know that there is a pool of coaching candidates available who possess the ability to have the players want to win games for their coach, which I don't think was the case with Smallcomb in recent years.

Latest posts

Back