• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Aggies (the other ones)

Waldo2

I don't know much about the UC Davis Aggies, other than this will be a challenging game. Their record at 1-2 is deceiving. They lost to Cal on the road and nearly beat South Dakota State (#2 in FCS) on the road. Sagarin Predictor has Weber as a 2.1 point favorite and 54% probability of winning on the road. What type of offensive system does Davis go with? Do they run the option or am I thinking of Cal Poly?
I am considering a road trip to the game - anyone ever been to a game at UC Davis and could share some insights?

The UC Davis game from a year ago was one of those very frustrating games. Plenty of opportunities to put it away, but the offense sputtered. A few questionable penalties on the final drive occurred and the Aggies executed to score and win the game. I expect another hard fought game. With an improved offense, I predict a 31-20 Wildcats win, but it will be a game until the end.

I’ve heard UC Davis Stadium is nice, and that it’s a good road trip. With young kids, I was in lockdown before COVID-19 and will continue to be in a basic lockdown until they get older. 😕

Hope those Wildcats fans that can make it have a good time and can cheer Weber State onto victory!

Waldo said:
I don't know much about the UC Davis Aggies, other than this will be a challenging game. Their record at 1-2 is deceiving. They lost to Cal on the road and nearly beat South Dakota State (#2 in FCS) on the road. Sagarin Predictor has Weber as a 2.1 point favorite and 54% probability of winning on the road. What type of offensive system does Davis go with? Do they run the option or am I thinking of Cal Poly?
I am considering a road trip to the game - anyone ever been to a game at UC Davis and could share some insights?

Hi Waldo. The Ags are not an option offense, CP was but that’s changed now. I would say we are a more pro style offense.
Aggie stadium is a great venue. With the game starting at 7pm, the visitor section will be out of the sun. Last weekend we broke an all time attendance record. It was north of 14,000. For the Weber game there will be the “running of the freshman” which is always fun. The weather should be great, likely in high 70’s at game time.
Hotel wise Davis hotels are usually expensive. Woodland, 10 miles north on hwy 113, is a great option and is closer to Sac international. If you have any other questions, such as where to eat, hit me up.

agalum said:
Waldo said:

Hi Waldo. The Ags are not an option offense, CP was but that’s changed now. I would say we are a more pro style offense.
Aggie stadium is a great venue. With the game starting at 7pm, the visitor section will be out of the sun. Last weekend we broke an all time attendance record. It was north of 14,000. For the Weber game there will be the “running of the freshman” which is always fun. The weather should be great, likely in high 70’s at game time.
Hotel wise Davis hotels are usually expensive. Woodland, 10 miles north on hwy 113, is a great option and is closer to Sac international. If you have any other questions, such as where to eat, hit me up.
I've heard the term 'Pro Style' used to describe Davis's O several times over the past few years. I'm not exactly sure what that means these days. The pros show a lot of styles. I think it means that we will see some two RB sets and a typical TE, SE, and slot reciever on most sets. Davis has been a team that tries to establish their running game and they usually have some good RBs. They will also have some good receivers and you have to play them mostly strait up. They are usually a team that is efficient and steady. This should be a great game to watch. I think they compare favorably with USU.

One key for us will be to win the turn over battle.

Also, winning the battle in the trenches. :coffee:

I just watched the Davis/San Diego game. My thoughts were that their O is quite a bit like ours. It shouldn't be anything that we haven't seen. It looks like they have a pretty good D.

This should be a verry interesting game. I may be away from technology for this one. I'll watch the replay when I return to civilization.

They wull have a big crowd and that should play well for our Wildcats. We love these rowdy crowds for road games. The guys seem to feed of it. The more, the merrier. :coffee:

That is a hell of a win. Such a sloppy game with 3 turnovers and 9 penalties but we won the crucial plays.

Davis is so well coached. They don’t get penalized, they don’t turn the ball over, they have a quick passing game so they don’t take sacks, and they scheme very well. They continually beat our defense to the edge but that was all they had. Our corners are elite. It came down to the end of the game and the Davis receivers couldn’t find ANY space.

Our defense was on the field for over 85 plays and allowed 12 points :rockon:

I see flashes with our offense and I believe in Mental but it was overall such a sluggish performance. The defense saved the day.

Wow!

What a game. We tried every way you can think of to give it away and still won.

Hats off to the D. They came through when it was really needed.

Offense made way too many mistakes and the O line got workrd for most of the game. We were good with quick hitters and that was about it.

However, a win is a win and this one could go a long ways toward getting to the post season. :coffee:

PHHHHHHHEEEEEWWWWWWW!

Give the Davis D some credit. But man we tried to give this one away sooooo many times.

That D though!!! Man they are good.

It was ugly and close like most of our games with these guys. Hey maybe we should start a rivalry series with the Aggies. Our matchups of late have been epic!

Good job Weber. Now it's time for the bye. Got 2 weeks to prepare for EWU who will be coming off a game vs Florida.

GO WILDCATS!

4-0 heading into the bye. Who would’ve thought?

Quickly: It’s obvious after tonight but Josh is having issues hanging on to the ball this year. I remember he nearly fumbled as barreled into the end zone against Western Oregon. He put the ball on the ground against Utah State. And two more times tonight he put the ball on the ground. I don’t think fumbles have ever been an issue for him so what gives?

Speaking of RBs, is Kris Jackson hurt? Or in the doghouse?

The Dan said:
4-0 heading into the bye. Who would’ve thought?

Quickly: It’s obvious after tonight but Josh is having issues hanging on to the ball this year. I remember he nearly fumbled as barreled into the end zone against Western Oregon. He put the ball on the ground against Utah State. And two more times tonight he put the ball on the ground. I don’t think fumbles have ever been an issue for him so what gives?

Speaking of RBs, is Kris Jackson hurt? Or in the doghouse?
I think it was in the Dixie game when Kris came up limping on a goalline play. McMillan played great tonight. Bankston only got a couple of carries. He may have some sort of minor injury as well. It's good to have a full stable of RBs.

These games are always tough defensive games that come down to the wire. I’m sure Aggies fans were just as frustrated as we were with last year’s game.

UC Davis won in about every statistic (except FG—which was big, one more make, and they would have had a chip shot attempt to win at the end). The Wildcats D is amazing! No way a team loses the turnover battle by 3, gets out gained and loses unless it’s a big time play defense.

Should have bet the farm on the 50.5 over/under. These teams often stay under 20 points each.

A close win on the road against a high-quality opponent should be a big confidence builder.

Go Wildcats!

See Jake Eichorn’s crushing block, on the touchdown, before half? Told you that kid was going to be great. Still needs to up his pass blocking but he delivered.

Bronson is improving and that is something most didn’t see happening. Short throws and accuracy are getting to playoff level.

Davis’ fumbles are hurting, but that is something new and can be fixed. That “kid” is in his sixth year, so not a problem previously. He’s proven he can be trusted.

D is off the charts.

But Montana, well, they look unbeatable.

But if Bronson keeps improving, and with our D, we have a VERY good chance to beat them.

CrazyJ said:
See Jake Eichorn’s crushing block, on the touchdown, before half? Told you that kid was going to be great. Still needs to up his pass blocking but he delivered.

Bronson is improving and that is something most didn’t see happening. Short throws and accuracy are getting to playoff level.

Davis’ fumbles are hurting, but that is something new and can be fixed. That “kid” is in his sixth year, so not a problem previously. He’s proven he can be trusted.

D is off the charts.

But Montana, well, they look unbeatable.

But if Bronson keeps improving, and with our D, we have a VERY good chance to beat them.

Montana looks incredible right now, but they havent even seen a decent defense yet. I'd say they are the team to beat and they'll most likely be undefeated coming into Ogden but we have the defense to slow them down. Could be the playoff game all over again.

Congratulations on another good road win by the Wildcats, clean up a few things and you will be scary good. Still very nervous about the game in Bozeman, hope we have some players back by then, we will need them. I found out that I wont be able to attend the game this year, bummed out since I think you will be the best team we see in Bozeman this year.

cats2506 said:
Congratulations on another good road win by the Wildcats, clean up a few things and you will be scary good. Still very nervous about the game in Bozeman, hope we have some players back by then, we will need them. I found out that I wont be able to attend the game this year, bummed out since I think you will be the best team we see in Bozeman this year.

Thanks Cats. We have much to clean up. I dont wanna take anything from Weber but we were kinda lucky to win Saturday. 3 missed field goals and some questionable calls from the Davis sideline kinda helped us. We also are having a fumbling problem and its not our rookies doing the fumbling its our star players.

Barron has gotten better but there is room for improvement there. Overall our offense can be scary but they tend to get in their own way too much.

As for the game in Bozeman. Weber needs to iron out their issues before I am comfortable enough to think they can win up there. For us though our next challenge is going to be a desperate EWU team. And even if they have no defense they still have an offense capable of putting up numbers. You guys beat them with your talented running team and your dominant offensive line. Weber likes to run the ball as well so I do like our chances.

You guys get Davis next if I'm not mistaken. They have a great defense but I also think they are partly susceptible to the run. We did well on the ground despite fumbling three times. One however was recovered by us.

WILDCAT said:
cats2506 said:

Thanks Cats. We have much to clean up. I dont wanna take anything from Weber but we were kinda lucky to win Saturday. 3 missed field goals and some questionable calls from the Davis sideline kinda helped us. We also are having a fumbling problem and its not our rookies doing the fumbling its our star players.

Barron has gotten better but there is room for improvement there. Overall our offense can be scary but they tend to get in their own way too much.

As for the game in Bozeman. Weber needs to iron out their issues before I am comfortable enough to think they can win up there. For us though our next challenge is going to be a desperate EWU team. And even if they have no defense they still have an offense capable of putting up numbers. You guys beat them with your talented running team and your dominant offensive line. Weber likes to run the ball as well so I do like our chances.

You guys get Davis next if I'm not mistaken. They have a great defense but I also think they are partly susceptible to the run. We did well on the ground despite fumbling three times. One however was recovered by us.

WSU will be fine against Eastern, they are desperate but not what they have been in the past, just keep running the ball. Best news I found out this week is the other event I had to be at has been rescheduled, so I will be able to be at the MSU/WSU game.
Yes, MSU has UCD this week at home, they look tough, if our patched up team can win this one we should be able to catch our breath for a few weeks, we have ISU and UNC after that, before facing WSU.

cats2506 said:
WILDCAT said:
cats2506 said:

WSU will be fine against Eastern, they are desperate but not what they have been in the past, just keep running the ball. Best news I found out this week is the other event I had to be at has been rescheduled, so I will be able to be at the MSU/WSU game.
Yes, MSU has UCD this week at home, they look tough, if our patched up team can win this one we should be able to catch our breath for a few weeks, we have ISU and UNC after that, before facing WSU.
In our game with Davis, our O stopped themselves more often than the Aggie's did. We still have a lot to clean up on that side of the ball. If not for some clutch defensive plays, we would have lost that game. They do have a good D line and some speed in their secondary. Your Bobs will have to play a clean game to beat them. The Aggie O has the ability to put some points up. I suspect it will be a good game up at your place. Good luck. :coffee:

Calling my shot: UC Davis will trip them up. MSU is pretty banged up, the defense dropped off from last year, and the passing game has been inconsistent. They lost a lot of talent from last year’s team and I think their top 5 ranking is generous. The expectation that they would pick up right where they left off was very optimistic. Davis has already played at Cal and SDSU so I don’t think the atmosphere will rattle them.

The Dan said:
Calling my shot: UC Davis will trip them up. MSU is pretty banged up, the defense dropped off from last year, and the passing game has been inconsistent. They lost a lot of talent from last year’s team and I think their top 5 ranking is generous. The expectation that they would pick up right where they left off was very optimistic. Davis has already played at Cal and SDSU so I don’t think the atmosphere will rattle them.

I always enjoy reading things like this :thumb:

Latest posts

Back