• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2023 Offseason and Spring

luckyintheorder

Place for upcoming season information, thoughts and general discussion.

3 new coaches at WR, OL and RB... Don't think a LB coach has been hired or promoted from within. Still to come.

Picking up 4 QB's during recruiting... guessing a couple of the RS Juniors (seniors to be) aren't coming back. A lot of attrition of players after two straight years of coaching upheaval. Got to say, Kekoa did a nice job in the last game and the team seemed to respond to the change. The Jared Taylor JC transfer looks capable at the QB position. Impressive stats at Feather River (?)

My hope is Best allows players to compete without prejudice. If a true freshman is performing at the level of a 3rd year player, they should be able to win playing time or a starting position. I'd stop using #EKG as a purity test. These are 18-21 year olds.

This sort of post gets me going. Know the players are working hard for the upcoming season. Go Eags!
[media]https://twitter.com/EWUFootball/status/1626604256647352323?s=20[/media]

CHENEY, Wash. – Eastern Washington University Football Head Coach Aaron Best announced four new additions to his coaching staff on Friday, rounding out the Eagles' leadership ahead of the 2023 season.
EWU Football Coaching Staff Additions

Eric Sanders — Linebackers
Jeff McDaniels — Wide Receivers
Hayden Mace — Offensive Line
Brandon Johnson-Farrell — Running Backs

McDaniels and Sanders will officially start at Eastern on March 1. Mace and Johnson-Farrell are on campus already.

The Eagles begin their 2023 regular season against North Dakota State at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn. on September 2. The team's 2023 spring schedule will begin April 7 and end April 28, with further details, including scrimmage times, to be announced.
Eric Sanders — Linebackers
Sanders joins the EWU staff with an impressive resume including stops in both college and the NFL. Most recently, he served as Inside Linebackers Coach at Stanford from 2020-22. During the 2019 NFL season, he worked as a Defensive Assistant for the New York Jets, focusing on defensive backs.

Before his time in New York, Sanders spent three seasons with the Cleveland Browns (2016-18) in a defensive quality control position for linebackers and nickel corners. He also spent four seasons (2010-14) with the Oakland Raiders as both defensive and offensive quality control. He focused on defensive lineman and outside linebackers, while working with tight ends on the offensive side.

Sanders' collegiate coaching career includes previous stops at UC Davis and Utah State. He earned a bachelor's degree in Psychology with a biological emphasis from UC Davis in 2005.
Jeff McDaniels — Wide Receivers
McDaniels arrives in Cheney after spending the last two seasons at Auburn University, where he was the Senior Offensive Analyst, helping wide receiver, tight end and running back coaches daily. His responsibilities included overseeing self-scout tendencies and offensive unit meeting preparation, along with overseeing playbook materials and scouting reports. McDaniels was elevated to Interim Running Backs Coach for the Tigers' final four games the 2022 season, assisting with play calling and game planning. In 2021, he was a graduate assistant for offensive skill positions.

Prior to his tenure at Auburn, McDaniels was a graduate assistant at Boise State University for the 2020 season, working primarily with the tight ends and offensive lineman. He spent three seasons at his alma mater, Davidson College, as the Cornerbacks Coach and Recruiting Coordinator. He also had stops at Texas State University and Old Dominion University (ODU) after a playing career as a wide receiver at Davidson from 2010-14, where he served as a team captain.

McDaniels graduated from Davidson in 2014 with a bachelor's degree in Psychology and a minor in Interpersonal and Mass Communication. He earned a master's in Sports Management and Education from ODU in 2016 and master's in Strategic Mass Communication from Texas State in 2016.
Hayden Mace — Offensive Line
Mace, the Eagles' new offensive line coach, comes from the University of Sioux Falls (S.D.), where he was the Offensive Line Coach from 2020-22 and promoted to add Offensive Coordinator responsibilities in 2022. USF, an NCAA Division II program and member of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC), went 8-3 last season.

Under his guidance, the Cougars' offense improved in nine statistical categories in 2022, including points per game, yards per game, 3rd down conversions and red zone scoring. They ranked in the top three in the conference in PPG, YPG and yards per play, while leading the conference in rushing for the second-straight year (12th in all of D-II). Four USF players earned All-NSIC honors, including RB Thuro Reisdorfer who led the conference in rushing, was a Second Team All-American and Harlon Hill Award nominee for D-II National Player of the Year.

This will be Mace's second stint at Eastern, as he was with the program from 2017-19, working in quality control for OL, TE and QB position groups. He was a graduate assistant at Utah State from 2019-20.

As a student-athlete, he played center for D-III powerhouse Linfield College from 2008-11, where he was voted Team Captain and twice earned All-NWC honors. He earned a bachelor's degree in Finance with a minor in Communications from Linfield in 2012.
Brandon Johnson-Farrell — Running Backs
Johnson-Farell also arrives in Cheney after coaching at the University of Sioux Falls. He was the Special Teams Coordinator and Wide Receivers Coach from 2018-22, Running Backs Graduate Assistant and Assistant Special Teams Coordinator from 2017-18 and Wide Receivers Graduate Assistant and Special Teams Coordinator from 2015-16.

Under his guidance in 2021, Sioux Falls attained program bests in blocked punts (4), kickoff coverage average (15.8 yards) and net punting (38.8). Johnson-Farrell coached 10 players to all-conference recognition at USF, including a pair of running backs in 2017 after the team averaged 190 yards per game on the ground.

Originally from Maryland, Johnson-Farrell played collegiately at the University of Rhode Island (URI), where he was a four-year starter and two-time all-conference selection. He left URI third on the school's all-time receptions list and first in return yards. He advanced to play in the Indoor Football League, where he was selected as the 2015 United Bowl MVP with the champion Sioux Falls Storm.

Johnson-Farrell earned a bachelor's degree in Human Development from URI in 2015 and master's degree in Business Administration from USF in 2017.

- That’s a lot of turnover in one year.
- It bugs me that Eastern scheduled NDSU in 2023, maybe it’s a money game.
- Eastern will also (hopefully) have a new QB, along with the new staff, thats a lot of moving parts. :|
- EWU only has 5 home games, and neither UM or MSU are included in the 5. Terrible schedule this year imo.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
- Eastern will also (hopefully) have a new QB, along with the new staff, thats a lot of moving parts. :|
- EWU only has 5 home games, and neither UM or MSU are included in the 5. Terrible schedule this year imo.

Indeed, but what we don't have is 2 P5 games...which means if we can get our sh*t together we could actually have a playoff run. I agree, though...there's a lot of if's.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:

Indeed, but what we don't have is 2 P5 games...which means if we can get our sh*t together we could actually have a playoff run. I agree, though...there's a lot of if's.

don't recall if I'd posted this before:

Aaron Prier is the RB coach for Fresno. His boss is OC Pat McCann (who coached at EWU in 2021and took over when Shoemaker bailed). Looks like McCann brought in a guy to make him look good ;-) Don't know what a Haener-less Fresno offense will look like but interested to see what McCann will do. side note: thought his run scheme was superior to shoemaker's

not that it matters prediction: If Josh Woods doesn't see the field this year, he'll enter the Portal. (remember, he was committed to Eagles and changed to Fresno late) He is sitting behind 4 qb's and have no idea if he is better or worse than any of them. If he goes portal, Shoemaker will likely make a bid or he lands at another BigSky school.

Obzerver said:
it'll take me forever to figure out the missing...who you noticing JustasportzDad?

The DL DE/DT group are missing quite a few. Only 1 returning QB (I know most "graduated" but). Down 2 K/P.
I do realize this is not the official roster and they are still updating the website.

I have been reading posts on this board for awhile and have never posted. Had some down time and thought I would contribute a little.

These are the names missing on the new roster from last season's roster along with the number of young men added in this years recruiting class per position. DT/DE group was the hardest hit. Some of the names we already knew were gone, some others I had no idea. Also, the list below does not include seniors that graduated.

DE/DT
-Collin Fujimoto
-Joshua Jerome
-Emmanuel Osuoho
-Soli Paliso'o
-Sean Skladany
-Chad Vidian
-Added 3 FR and 2 transfers in this years recruiting class

DB/LB
-Ely Doyle DB
-Tre Weed DB
-Daniel Taumpoepeau LB
--Added 5 FR and 1 TR for DB/S, added 2 FR for LB

OL
-Dane Anderson
-Brad Goodwin
-Tony Ortega
-Brenden Rivera
-Added 4 FR and 3 TR

QB
-Simon Burkett
-Trey Turner
-Added 2 FR and 2 TR

K/P
-Seth Harrison
-Wyatt Hawkins
-Zero added

RB/TE/WR
-Silas Perreiah RB
-Aiden Nellor TE
-Freddie Roberson WR
-Added Zero at RB, added 2 FR for TE, added 2 FR at WR

I may have missed someone, feel free to update the list as we see changes.

Yeah updating but do have Punter Nick Kokich back for another year. Kickers/punters are spotty some not listed but kicker Soren McKee who got one FG last year is listed. Very important for our kicking/punting game to be in order, special teams period. Imagine have a couple walk-ons perhaps.

63ac58dd2c971cf2257c78fa75399ded

*yes, the fg counted!

I see Spring ball has commenced. Please share any observations if you have the ability to attend. Here is the article off goeags.com

Expect Jared Taylor to push for the starting role at QB. Super solid undefeated player in JC, with a high football IQ. Like Kekoa as well, but Best keeps saying things like he picking up more of the offense etc... It just doesn't sit well with me. We saw him play and it was very good.

https://goeags.com/news/2023/4/7/fo...l-with-high-energy-and-high-expectations.aspx

So EWU will have three QB's taking snaps in camp. Besides Jared Taylor is Michael Wortham who in JC was a dual threat and heavy on the run portion at QB. He run more than passed so wouldn't surprise me he may even see time at RB or WR at some point. But he just played a full season as did Taylor and thinking those two will push Kekoa Visperas this spring to be a better player and also this coming fall.

Saw where the Spring game 4/28 will be on SWX at 6:05pm. Can't believe there is no comments from anyone anywhere anyhow on what's going on. Wish Vic was still with us (in Spirit yes). He would know who farted on what play and who was steppin up or steppin down. Now, nothing...

giphy.gif

Obzerver said:
Saw where the Spring game 4/28 will be on SWX at 6:05pm. Can't believe there is no comments from anyone anywhere anyhow on what's going on. Wish Vic was still with us (in Spirit yes). He would know who farted on what play and who was steppin up or steppin down. Now, nothing...

Great point. Having said that, please tell me GT is no longer on the team. EWU's next two games are against NDSU (in a 67k seat stadium) and Fresno State, the 2023 season might get ugly quick if the QB issue isn't 100% resolved. I wasn't impressed with the RB game last season either, with the exception of Taiwan Jones and Quincy Forte, EWU hasn't had many superstars at RB, and last season would've been a great time for "Tuna" to have a breakout season. I hope the Eags take last season as a big WAKE UP call, and rebound this year. Four more months and we'll find out. GO EAGS!

Spring game will also be on ESPN+ for those out of the SWX area. Huge amount of turnover. Sad to see several names on the list that was posted earlier. Just want to see some aggression on both lines and reasonable poise from the QB's. :)

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/apr/22/were-toying-with-some-things-eastern-washington-ke/

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/apr/15/kekoa-visperas-looks-to-take-next-step-as-eastern-/

The 6-foot Taylor, who played at Lakewood High School in Stanwood, Washington, played 24 games at Feather River College in California. There he completed 63.8% of his passes for 4,211 yards, 45 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He ran for 20 touchdowns and 1,617 yards during that span, leading Feather River to 11-0 and 10-0 seasons the past two years.

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/catal...sourceCollection=Browse_By_Conference_(ESPN+)

Latest posts

Back