• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2022-23 MBB Season

SDHornet

Staff member
Hornets tip off at #7 UCLA tomorrow in HC David Patrick's opening game. We'll see if the Hornets can hang with them before it gets ugly. Game is on the Pac12 Network.

Damn good opening 10 minutes by the Hornets, but then UCLA went on a 20-0 run to create some separation. Hornets battle back and make it a 25-39 game at half. The UCLA depth and athleticism is just proving to be too much.

I wasn't able to make it to any of the open practices, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing from this team. Lots of movement on offense, solid work on the boards. Different players with the ability to drive to the tin. This is going to be a scrappy Hornet team.

50-76 Hornet loss. Horrendous shooting and ball control in the 2nd half as the Bruins steamroll the Hornets. Most concerning was that the Hornets seemed to just go through the motions for most of the 2nd half. The good news is the Hornets won't see a team anywhere near as talented as UCLA this season.

SDHornet said:
d@mn good opening 10 minutes by the Hornets, but then UCLA went on a 20-0 run to create some separation. Hornets battle back and make it a 25-39 game at half. The UCLA depth and athleticism is just proving to be too much.

I wasn't able to make it to any of the open practices, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing from this team. Lots of movement on offense, solid work on the boards. Different players with the ability to drive to the tin. This is going to be a scrappy Hornet team.

50-76 Hornet loss. Horrendous shooting and ball control in the 2nd half as the Bruins steamroll the Hornets. Most concerning was that the Hornets seemed to just go through the motions for most of the 2nd half. The good news is the Hornets won't see a team anywhere near as talented as UCLA this season.

I was thinking the same thing - we looked great in the beginning and we were leading a potential NCAA Tournament #1 Seed. It was like watching a 16 play a 1 - like you said we ran out of gas. I liked our size, rebounding, and ability to get to the rim (Hunt is going to ball out in BSC).

Hard to get any read off this game. UCLA is too talented. The next two games against UC San Diego and Denver will give us a better idea as well as the Davis game. Does not look like we have a go to player like we did last year in Fowler. Going to need to shoot much better from the three point line. Look forward to seeing how things develop.

HC DP gets his first win with a dominating 65-55 Hornet (1-1) win at UCSD (0-2). Hornets shot lights out from the arc (14/25) and sealed the win from the stripe (13/19) down the stretch. 5 different players had at least 2 three's and Mawein (12 pts, 5 reb) is a total beast inside when the defense is stretched trying to defend the arc. Chappell (19 pts, 5 reb) led the way in scoring and Patterson (10 pts, 3 reb) also got into double figures.

Hornets (2-1) grind out a close win at Denver (2-1), 73-69. Hornets overcome an 8 point deficit in a back and forth contest and hang on in the closing minute. Big game for McRae (20 pts, 8 reb, 7 ast), Wilbon (19 pts, 4 reb) and Mawein (13 pts, 6 reb).

SDHornet said:
Hornets (2-1) grind out a close win at Denver (2-1), 73-69. Hornets overcome an 8 point deficit in a back and forth contest and hang on in the closing minute. Big game for McRae (20 pts, 8 reb, 7 ast), Wilbon (19 pts, 4 reb) and Mawein (13 pts, 6 reb).

This team just looks different with a much better combination of size, athleticism, and shooting. Love the unit with Wilbon at PG, with Mawein and McRae on the floor.

Does anyone know why Kiir Kiir Chol is being held out? Also, what happened to the guy they signed from eastern Europe somewhere? I can't even find his name when I go back through the archives of the news.

peegeepee said:
Does anyone know why Kiir Kiir Chol is being held out? Also, what happened to the guy they signed from eastern Europe somewhere? I can't even find his name when I go back through the archives of the news.

Based on what one of the UCLA commentators said during that game, something to do with coming in from overseas. They mentioned a player on the UCLA roster was in a similar situation. I believe one of Campbell's recruits had this issue last season.

I believe Kiir Kiir had to sit out the first three games because he played some games in the NBA Africa league. Bill Walton mentioned that on the broadcast. Same was true for UCLA’s big man recruit. Would think he will play on Friday. I heard the European recruit could not get in school for some reason. There was also another transfer signed from UC Irvine, who was from Australia, that ended up not coming. Not sure why. Rotation has been very small the first three games. Will probably need to play more than seven players as the season progresses.

Greenteam said:
I believe Kiir Kiir had to sit out the first three games because he played some games in the NBA Africa league. Bill Walton mentioned that on the broadcast. Same was true for UCLA’s big man recruit. Would think he will play on Friday. I heard the European recruit could not get in school for some reason. There was also another transfer signed from UC Irvine, who was from Australia, that ended up not coming. Not sure why. Rotation has been very small the first three games. Will probably need to play more than seven players as the season progresses.

Thanks, I forgot about Isaiah Lee...

peegeepee said:

Everything has been scrubbed from social media and HornetSports.com. Guessing there was an eligibility issue, like he’s 31 or something lol..

https://t.co/WrDJcSEB2R

Green Cookie Monster said:
Why is the home opener at Noon?
Sloppy game so far.

Weird game all the way around - time, play, attendance…

Makes you cringe a little bit, winning a rock fight against UC Merced, but I won’t put too much stock in one game…

Kadeezy said:
Green Cookie Monster said:
Why is the home opener at Noon?
Sloppy game so far.

Weird game all the way around - time, play, attendance…

Makes you cringe a little bit, winning a rock fight against UC Merced, but I won’t put too much stock in one game…

VB has a home game tonight so hoops had an early tip to get the court installed.

58-43 Hornet win over UC Merced. The first half was probably the worst men's collegiate hoops I've ever seen. Absolutely atrocious. Hornets cleaned things up a little in the 2nd half but it wasn't crisp at all. If Merced had any talent this would have been a nail bitter. FT shooting was downright pathetic (8/18 on the game, started 0-10), and we jacked up way too many 3's (4/23) against a lineup where we had a considerable height advantage down low. Just an absolute mess of a game.

movielover said:
Aggies beat Hornets by 11, Sac only plays 7?

Unfortunately 4 players were suspended due to wearing FUCD shirts at the most recent example of your precious football team shitting the bed.

Hornets lose 71-82 to the dungpilers in Golden 1. Hornets couldn’t hold on to a halftime lead and go cold in the second half. I didn’t watch it but from what I hear the Hornets struggled to counter the halftime adjustments (the press defense) and lost the boards by 8. Chappell (19 pts) led the Hornets in scoring and Patterson (18 pts, 4 reb) had a big first half. Mawein (13 pts, 5 reb) was solid but fouled out with a handful of minutes remaining.

movielover said:
Aggies beat Hornets by 11, Sac only plays 7?

For the most part, yes. Katz/Laird left the roster pretty bare.

Haven’t seen you post in the Causeway thread since the game this past Saturday, why is that?

This team is a work in progress. Same thing can be said about all the Big Sky teams. So many transfers and new players. Northern Colorado was picked second in both media and coaches poll and just lost to a D2 team and their only win is by 3 points over a D2 team transitioning this year to D1. Weber, Montana, and EWU have all been struggling.

I think the jury is still out on our transfers. I don’t think the cupboard was bare as we had three returning starters. Chappell and Wilbon have been our best two players so far. The other starter, Jonno, was not retained and I think this roster could use his rim protection and defense. He would have been a good compliment to McRae who will struggle to guard a mobile big who can shoot from the free throw line out like the Davis center. Davis exposed our weakness in the second half. We will struggle against the press until our ball handling improves. I would like to see what happens if we expand the rotation past 7 players. No idea yet what the transfer from St Bonaventure can offer as he has not really seen the floor. I think he and Hardee could provide some athleticism.

I think Montana State is still the conference favorite, but the rest is a mystery, and I think we could be in the mix if we improve as the season progresses. Look forward to some games at the Nest in December.

Latest posts

Back