• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2008 Season Prospective

SlickPulla

Who do you guys think the key players will be at each position this year, as well as the sleepers and surprises?

Smith needs to mature, and throw less INTs. He's the starting QB IMO, he took his lumps last year and should be much improved this year. I just wish he was a little more mobile.

Travon Jones and Bryan Hilliard need to have repeat seasons. As they go, the team goes. I'm worried about the O-line and receivers. Dylan Lane needs to be the go to guy...

On D, we've got arguably the top LB core in the FCS. Brannon, Hickman and Mulitalo won't accept shiesty play on that defense as senior leaders. Hopefully that Poly CB will be able to fill in for Jody Johnson. I think Kevin Davis will do alright too.

I wish Gamboa wouldn't be such a basket case. I wouldn't mind bringing in some competition (at P and PK)...

Just my quick thoughts....

Offense: I see Jason Smith coming back and having a productive year with less mistakes. RBs Travon Jones and Bryan Hilliard provide one of the Big Sky's best backfields. Watch for RB Evander Wilkins, who could be a factor if one of these players goes down. Offensive line is anchored by seniors Matt Lemley and Ray Navar, but overall the group is questionable. Tight end is up for grabs, there has been no production for years... Brian Heath has not shown much production, Kyle Mccray looks great in practice, Dustin Avilla was a great player in high school but has yet to see action, Chuck Pierce could be a factor as well. We might see a JC transfer coming in and taking the spot. The WR position is the biggest question for the 08 season looking at the senior losses of Coogler, Perry, Wehr and Fannuchi. Tony Washington is my top pick for being the main target... his speed and toughness will make him productive if Smith has time to get him the ball. On the other side I see either Paige finally stepping up or a tall JC receiver coming in. In the slot I see Dylan Lane, who had a great season, despite not being thrown to that much. I have seen 6'6" redshirt freshman Chase Deadder in practice and he moves well for such a big player. I can see him developing into a dangerous target for the Hornets.

Special Teams: We lose Jody Johnson as kick returner. Travon Jones and maybe Tony Washington should take up the duties. Tony Washington should take the punt return duties as well, Ronald Richardson did not impress me this year with his measly avg yards a return and inability to accelerate. Gamboa has the kicking duties, but needs to be challenged since he misses some easy fg's and pat's. Oscar DeAlba maintains the punting duties, but needs to improve his accuracy.

Defense: The heart of the Hornets. D-line needs an upgrade. Hopefully the recently signed JC transfers will do some dirt. Soph Christian Clark is a beast and will be a major factor, All-Big sky potential. Linebackers are easily the best in the conference with Brannon, Mulitalo, and Hickman. Defensive back is the question of the team. Kevin Davis and Durrell Oliver have the only true experience. Hopefully some freshman and transfers will help out. The safety position is up for grabs with Webber and Shelton gone.

Outlook: The spring should tell a lot about the Hornets future. Overall, I see a competitive team who finally get over the losing slump. Sperbeck will lead and continue the "Sac State Way". Record 10-2, (7-1)

QB -THE TRANSFER FROM UCLA- MCLEOD-THOMPSON
RB- HILLIARD AND JONES 1-2 PUNCH- I 'd like to see jones play a little reciever too.
THE DEFENSE. If they can play like they did most of last year we will be very good.

TYORK07, welcome to the board. You think MBT will suceed Jason Smith as the starting QB in his first season? Spring practice should be very interesting!

I think coming in from the PAC-10 gives him no fear at our level. I think he will give Smith all he can handle and by the start of the season he will be the starter.

My concern is the reciever position. I know we signed a couple of guys but that position needed at least a 3 star recruit to truly upgrade. The guys we got I not sure how good they are. We will see....

Tony Washington and Dylan Lane should be able to pick it up this year if either Smith or MBT can get them the ball. Is Andy White (2007 recruit) still on the team? If so, he was touted as a good receiver in high school. Chase is a big target from a good small school program, but we'll see if he has the moves and the hands at this level. O line picked up a couple JC guys that should be able to protect. New linebacker Caleb Hale will add depth to a great linebacker corps, and yes, some freshman will have to step up this year in the defensive backfield.

Good to see some winable games up front. We haven't had that in years and the players need to gain some confidence going into Big Sky play.

Latest posts

Back