• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

#12 WSU vs. #21 UNI

AlumniWSU

Offense for both needs improvement but Northern Iowa did play FBS Iowa St. losing 30-9 & their offense kept the ball timewise a good portion but struggled to get 1st downs consistently.

A good measuring stick for both in the early FCS season. UNI will be tough at home...now if they can just get the opponents name straight (not Webster St. people!) Wildcats should be up for this one. :coffee:

The offense definitely needs to step it up. One bright spot about Weisser is that he did complete some tough 4th down passes. He looked a little flat otherwise. Maybe they were holding back the play calling for this week.

The Wildcats will need to show big improvement. Big football game! I will try to keep optimistic and pick the Wildcats by four.

One thing I observed in coach Mental's play calling last year was that it changed for each opponent. The called plays against Central Washington were quite vanilla. I'm sure it had something to do with what he felt would work efficiently against their D. It did, and there was no reason to change the offensive game plan. Defensively, we needed to adjust to their running QB a little quicker than we did. We really didn't start stopping that until the second quarter. That won't fly against a better team.

This week's offensive game plan will revolve around what our coaches feel will work against the UNI defense. Our defense should be better prepared for UNI's attack. They now have game film to watch on UNI's offense.

If this game was on our turf, we probably would be favored. At their place, I think this game is a toss up. We know what our defense can do when prepared. We saw that in Logan last season. Our offense needs to clean some things up, but we have seen their potential. This will certainly be a good early season test for us.

GO WILDCATS!

Early line favors Weber by 2.5.

I just watched the Iowa State game and it was a tough watch. UNI was letting blitzers run free, dropping passes, missing easy throws. Their QB threw a pick 6 on the first drive and I don’t think he settled in until after halftime. I wasn’t impressed at all, but I also wasn’t impressed with our performance to be fair.

I agree with Olds that we kept our offensive game plan very vanilla last week. It will be interesting to see what we have in store this week. UNI did get a good amount of pressure on ISU’s QB — we really need to keep the heat off Weisser and let him stay in the pocket.

Really hoping some of our defensive linemen can get back on the field this week - the interior d-line was not very disruptive last week.

Once again, great halftime defensive adjustments. We shut down their running game and forced 6 turnovers, should have been 7. The story of that game was the D and overcoming a very one sided officiating crew. At times, it seemed like we were playing against an 18 man side. The offense is still showing some growing pains. We need that aspect of our game to improve over the next two weeks.

I'm encouraged by whwere we are at for this pont in the season.

Special teams looks as good as ever and we haven't tried any funny stuff yet.

We are getting good senior leadership and we have some young players stepping up. :thumb: :thumb:

Nice win on the road for sure! Some missed opportunities and interesting play calling at the end of the half. Room for improvement for sure but always better to clean things up after a win.

I’ll be honest, having a hard time telling what type of team this will be.

Great coaching with halftime adjustments. The pick 6 called back for a phantom pass interference was pretty lame. There were some really questionable holdings they called, too. Oh well, just stepped up, played harder, and made more plays.

Weisser under threw a wide open TD, and was way off the mark on some passes. He has been good on fourth downs. Hope he can improve because it’s clear they became one dimensional with the run in second half. They broke two-big runs, but that won’t always be the case. Wonder if he is a better roll out passer than pocket passer. If the Wildcats get better consistent play from the QB spot, they can definitely be a conference contender.

A nice win on the road! I will be interested to see how they do in SLC next week. Hope they can stay healthy and keep up with the U.

Very impressed with the team thus far.
Defense is solid upfront and in secondary. Made adjustments and shut them down and caused several turnovers.

Offense running game is solid. Great blocks and running. No fumbles.
Offense passing game is mixed. Much improved over las week but still missing on many passes and open receivers. Gotta improve in this area.

Special teams are solid.

Two games into the Mentle era and I am impressed! Don’t much care about the game on Saturday - no injuries and get your $. Otherwise, not much to cheer for. Perhaps a good warmup for MSU.

Latest posts

Back