• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Week 8 - #3 Sac State vs. #2 Montana State (10/21 @7:30 PM on ESPN2)

Bobby Fresques need to look in the mirror. Sloppy. Sloppy. Sloppy. This is not Troy Taylor’s offense 2.0. More like a 3.0. Maybe even 4.0. Can’t score with the best of them. And as an OC, you have to prepare your QB mentally to dial up and press the right button when it’s time. With the exception of the Stanford game, even against the worst teams in the conference, they have yet to shown they have the ability to do that. Not just this week against an elite Montana State program, Fresques just makes the most head scratching big chain moving calls on 3rd and 4th downs.

And for Coach Thompson’s defense. Can’t stop anyone. Falling apart in the second half when it matters most. Just like the last 3 seasons. Just don’t have the offense to bail them out this year

GreenArmySwarm said:
Bobby Fresques need to look in the mirror. Sloppy. Sloppy. Sloppy. This is not Troy Taylor’s offense 2.0. More like a 3.0. Maybe even 4.0. Can’t score with the best of them. And as an OC, you have to prepare your QB mentally to dial up and press the right button when it’s time. With the exception of the Stanford game, even against the worst teams in the conference, they have yet to shown they have the ability to do that. Not just this week against an elite Montana State program, Fresques just makes the most head scratching big chain moving calls on 3rd and 4th downs.

And for Coach Thompson’s defense. Can’t stop anyone. Falling apart in the second half when it matters most. Just like the last 3 seasons. Just don’t have the offense to bail them out this year

Disagree. Play calling wasn't the issue tonight, execution was. And there aren't many defense that are going to stop this MSU offense (we actually did well for the 1st half against a head scratching MSU game plan) so I wouldn't be overly critical.

30-42 Hornet loss. The Hornets had a chance to jump on MSU early and couldn't take advantage of it. Points off of turnovers are the difference in this one, and failure to execute in critical moments (especially on offense) cost the Hornets the game. More thoughts later.

Any shot at a four-peat is gone, still plenty to play(off) for.

Stingers Up.

SDHornet said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

Disagree. Play calling wasn't the issue tonight, execution was. And there aren't many defense that are going to stop this MSU offense (we actually did well for the 1st half against a head scratching MSU game plan) so I wouldn't be overly critical.

I started the the post by repeating the word sloppy three times. I think that obviously tie to execution. Play calling is not an issue if we’re okay with this being a good team. But it is if we want this team to be elite. Defense did it part( in the first half. But can’t get the most important stop, once again, when it matters most.

GreenArmySwarm said:
SDHornet said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

I started the the post by repeating the word sloppy three times. I think that obviously tie to execution. Play calling is not an issue if we’re okay with this being a good team. But it is if we want this team to be elite. Defense did it part( in the first half. But can’t get the most important stop, once again, when it matters most.

Your post is literally just bitching about play calling on both sides of the ball. Yes this isn't Taylor's offense, get over it already. Yes this Hornet defense had a game in which it bent to the point of breaking, and it happened against the number 1 rushing attack in FCS in a game that the Hornets lost TOP by 5 minutes.

As much as the loss sucks, there are plenty of positives to take away from this game. The most important being that this Hornet team battled an FCS championship caliber team well into the 4th quarter after gifting them 14 points. Relax, the sky isn't falling.

I was very disappointed here. Yes, I could whine about the early bogus officiating (several bogus false starts on the same dude (I think it was the RG, but I'm not certain about that, and a very tightly called "illegal shift"), all very ticky-tack or even non-existent, IMO. But those seemed to disappear in the second half.

What remained was a couple of bad reads by Bennett and some bad luck on some ricochets. The failure to capitalize on turnovers was HUGE. I'm personally not a fan of the spread, but that doesn't really apply to how the game turned out. I was disappointed with the emphasis on slants; they worked early, but MT State eventually started cracking down on that. Defensively, the failure to cope with the QB switches was surprising given that we did that for two years running. Our front seven was continually getting gashed, particularly in key situations.

That said, for most of the game, we did better than a lot of teams have, particularly in stopping the huge MT State running game. We decidedly did NOT quit, where a lot of teams already have during games against the Bobcats. Individually, some new (or relatively new names) stood out. I was particularly impressed on offense with the play of Anderson Grover, who almost literally came out of nowhere (at least for me) both with really good route running and a big end-around. Danny Scudero had another end around that went for six. With the unfortunate loss of Marcus Fulcher and Ezra Moleni, Elijah Tau-Toliver (while not exactly a new name, he DID get more touches than normal, and proved his worth) almost single-handedly kept us in this game for a long time. Defensively, Dillon Juniel had an impressive interception in the first half. I was disappointed when Zach Schreiner actually missed a field goal early, but he was far from why we lost this game. I really liked our pluck on special teams when we followed up a touchdown with a fumble recovery on the ensuing kickoff.

The biggest encouraging thing for me is that our offensive production, as stunted as it was, turns out to be the most points given up by MT State this season. I missed the Devin Gandy touchdown because my DVR cut off too soon. While I definitely want Fulcher back, I really like the depth we have at the running back position. I believe that SD and Sting have mentioned that all year long, and I thank them for it. That depth will stand us well both in the remainder of this season and in looking forward to next season.

30-42 Hornet loss. Hornets had a chance to jump on MSU early in the game but couldn’t take care of the opportunities. Ultimately it was the mistakes and turnovers that gifted MSU the win.

The Hornet offense did well against an MSU defense that was statistically the best in the BSC coming into this week. The Hornets were able to move the ball and Hornet fans have to wonder how this game would have looked if both Marcus Fulcher (2 car, 15 yds) and Ezra Moleni (8 car, 41 yds, 2 rec, 15 yds) don’t go out early in the game with injuries. Elijah Tau-Tolliver (8 car, 100 yds, 2 TD, 3 rec, 8 yds) stepped up and had an impactful game, most notable being a huge 53 yard touchdown run that kept the Hornets close. Kaiden Bennett (26/42, 243 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, 6 car, 22 yds) didn’t have a stellar game, but he was still able to keep this offense moving. Unfortunately his receivers didn’t have a complete game as there were multiple drops and miscues that were costly. Devin Gandy (5 rec, 59 yds, 1 TD) led the team in receiving with Anderson Grover (5 rec, 49 yds) right behind him. The shining star of the offense has to be the offensive line. They controlled the line of scrimmage and allowed the offense to put up 200 yards on the ground and kept a relatively clean pocket for KB most of the game.

Likewise on the defensive side of the ball, the Hornets were able to match MSU’s intensity and only gave up 7 first half points as they forced stops and field goals that MSU missed. Unfortunately as they game wore on, MSU found their stride and the Hornet defense got ground down by the various weapons MSU has in the running game. The dam finally broke on an athletic play by MSU’s Julius Davis who hurdled Cameron Broussard (5 tak) that set up the game winning score. Armon Bailey (10 tak, 1 TFL) led the Hornets in tackling while Dillon Juniel (8 tak, 1 INT) and Darian Pollard (8 tak) rounded out the top 3 tacklers.

Special teams had a notable night. The squib kicks really neutered MSU’s return game and the Hornets also forced a fumble on a return that resulted in a field goal. Zach Schreiner (1/2 FG, 3/3 PAT) missed a crucial first half field goal that came into play late in the game.

Here are my takeaways from the game:
  • Lack of execution in the critical moments was the difference. Twice the lack of execution resulted in turnovers that gifted MSU points. Ultimately that was the difference last night.
  • Still too many penalties. A hold on the opening drive sank that effort and there were a few other procedural calls that the Hornets overcame.
  • Offensive line played outstanding. Kenndel Riley was back in the lineup, but had to knock off some rust. Without a doubt the best game for this unit in over a month.
  • Play calling was fine, and a never before seen reverse was dialed up for the Hornets first score to a player none of us knew was even on the roster, Danny Scudero (1 car, 16 yds, 1 TD). I didn’t like the toss on the goalline that was nearly fumbled away. Was hoping to see a sneak with KB or a dive to Kuntz. Also not a fan of running routes short of the sticks on 4th down.
  • Speaking of Kuntz, disappointed that there weren’t some plays dialed up for him. He’s proven to be a tougher matchup for opposing defenses compared to the ailing Martin.
  • KB’s decision making was questionable at times. The 2nd interception looked forced and he forced another throw to Martin into quadruple coverage. Gipson (3 rec, 36 yds) had a lot of single coverage last night, would have been nice to see some 50-50 balls thrown his way, especially seeing how he has proven to make some athletic plays (that touchdown reception that was called back was a phenomenal play). KB also overthrew a wide open Gandy for a sure touchdown.
  • Wide receivers had an underwhelming game. Aside from Chris Miller (1 rec, 8 yds) breaking the wrong way to give MSU a pick six, Martin (1 car, 3 yds, 2 rec, 19 yds) stopped running on a post corner route that would have set up a scoring opportunity on the play prior to Schriener’s missed field goal. A handful of drops by multiple players as well. This unit needed a better showing in a matchup like this one.
  • Defense did well in the first half but couldn’t get stops on 3rd and long in the 2nd half.
  • Defense held Sean Chambers to 81 total yards and 1 touchdown. He’s been a total wrecking ball until this week.
  • Conversely, the Hornets had no answer for Tommy Mellott and Julius Davis who ran roughshod over the defense in the 2nd half.
  • Had Schriener not missed a kick, the game would have been even tighter down the stretch. Can't leave points on the field in any game, let along games of this caliber.
  • On the game atmosphere front, the tailgate lot was packed and 16.1k in attendance was a pretty solid turnout and was a couple hundred more than last years ESPN2 game.

With the loss, the BSC title is now out of the equation but a playoff berth is well within grasp if the Hornets take care of business and at least split the final 4 games. The Hornets competed a lot better than I expected last night, but there were just too many mistakes to overcome in order to beat a team as good as MSU. The Hornets now get to transition from a game against the best rushing attack in the FCS to the best passing attack in the FCS as a resurgent Idaho State comes to town.

Stingers Up!

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py4R2BMDj9o

Full Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjKg1RUvouY

Great comments from all. I agree with everybody mostly.

However WHO is the quality control person that will “clean up” the penalties, and at times sloppy execution?

I think defense did solid work but w Andy T also bring head coach with much more responsibilities that he isn’t as efficient as previous seasons where he only had to focus on Defense.

The key to onside kicks. Is doing when it’s not expected. Like beginning of 2nd half. Something to jumpstart momentum. We seem to calm until it’s 4qtr to start ramping things up.

I don’t think we are STRETCHING the field offensively enough and it’s allowing the defense to play tighter knowing KB likes short throws.

Yes. TE needs more action! The transfer from WSU should be more involved. Route Running short of 1st Down Marker is not championship level football.

KB had decent time in the pocket that he should have been able to go through his options. If everybody covered. Scramble rather than force in 2,3 and 4 person coverage 🤦🏻‍♂️.

We need to RUN the table for good playoffs seed.

I’m sad to say not sure if B. Fresques can run the offense at a championship level? 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’d put him on notice better clean up the penalties and get your QB mentally confident and prepared with his game plan!

stingthemgood said:
It just came down to 2 plays. The pick 6 and Zeke dropping the pitch. Without those plays we win. Bottom line.

I said the same exact thing. Even with all the penalties, getting run on, etc. those two plays were just back breakers.

For me a few things became very clear from this game….

- struggling to stop the run (we knew this already but solidified now) even with it being MSU’s clear strength Mollet was gashing us with zone read around the edge like we didn’t know he ran for 1000 yards last season. Someone has mentioned in other posts the DL lining up a full yard off the ball and I’ve been watching this ever since trying to see how it helps us. I imagine the coaching point is it frees up the DL that split second to make a move or get a better read on the play but is it worth the lack of push or stalemate we can create at the LOS? Jury’s out for me…
- our passing game is under performing, we have talented wide receivers and we only get to see flashes of them. As well as we do run the ball we should be able to take a couple more shots per game. I feel we’re more capable than 233 per game.
- I will be nervous all season when an opposing team is starting with the ball inside their own 10, each of the last 4 games we’ve given up 6 drives over 90 yards leading to a TD, and these are not slow methodical drives. One was 16 plays and the rest are 5-11 play series. I think this scares me the most about the defense right now, teams aren’t afraid to be aggressive even backed up. And this isn’t including 3-4 80 yard drives we’ve given up also.
- not including a close game to SDSU that slipped away from MSU in the final 2 minutes, we learned that MSU is not unbeatable this season. A few key moments added up to our loss Saturday but an early missed FG (turned into a TD), pick six, and an INT 3 plays later turned into a TD. We had our chances but MSU took advantage.

Not looking past next week, Idaho State has played some good games and battled with or beaten quality competition already (Montana and EWU). But our 6:00pm matchup at Montana is going to be a big game for us to keep momentum amongst the top of the conference and get a top 10 win this season. I think it would be wrong to slide us out of the top 10 rankings wise, we should slide into 8 as the #1 2 loss team which is probably right where we belong.

SDHornet said:
30-42 Hornet loss. Hornets had a chance to jump on MSU early in the game but couldn’t take care of the opportunities. Ultimately it was the mistakes and turnovers that gifted MSU the win.

The Hornet offense did well against an MSU defense that was statistically the best in the BSC coming into this week. The Hornets were able to move the ball and Hornet fans have to wonder how this game would have looked if both Marcus Fulcher (2 car, 15 yds) and Ezra Moleni (8 car, 41 yds, 2 rec, 15 yds) don’t go out early in the game with injuries. Elijah Tau-Tolliver (8 car, 100 yds, 2 TD, 3 rec, 8 yds) stepped up and had an impactful game, most notable being a huge 53 yard touchdown run that kept the Hornets close. Kaiden Bennett (26/42, 243 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT, 6 car, 22 yds) didn’t have a stellar game, but he was still able to keep this offense moving. Unfortunately his receivers didn’t have a complete game as there were multiple drops and miscues that were costly. Devin Gandy (5 rec, 59 yds, 1 TD) led the team in receiving with Anderson Grover (5 rec, 49 yds) right behind him. The shining star of the offense has to be the offensive line. They controlled the line of scrimmage and allowed the offense to put up 200 yards on the ground and kept a relatively clean pocket for KB most of the game.

Likewise on the defensive side of the ball, the Hornets were able to match MSU’s intensity and only gave up 7 first half points as they forced stops and field goals that MSU missed. Unfortunately as they game wore on, MSU found their stride and the Hornet defense got ground down by the various weapons MSU has in the running game. The dam finally broke on an athletic play by MSU’s Julius Davis who hurdled Cameron Broussard (5 tak) that set up the game winning score. Armon Bailey (10 tak, 1 TFL) led the Hornets in tackling while Dillon Juniel (8 tak, 1 INT) and Darian Pollard (8 tak) rounded out the top 3 tacklers.

Special teams had a notable night. The squib kicks really neutered MSU’s return game and the Hornets also forced a fumble on a return that resulted in a field goal. Zach Schreiner (1/2 FG, 3/3 PAT) missed a crucial first half field goal that came into play late in the game.

Here are my takeaways from the game:
  • Lack of execution in the critical moments was the difference. Twice the lack of execution resulted in turnovers that gifted MSU points. Ultimately that was the difference last night.
  • Still too many penalties. A hold on the opening drive sank that effort and there were a few other procedural calls that the Hornets overcame.
  • Offensive line played outstanding. Kenndel Riley was back in the lineup, but had to knock off some rust. Without a doubt the best game for this unit in over a month.
  • Play calling was fine, and a never before seen reverse was dialed up for the Hornets first score to a player none of us knew was even on the roster, Danny Scudero (1 car, 16 yds, 1 TD). I didn’t like the toss on the goalline that was nearly fumbled away. Was hoping to see a sneak with KB or a dive to Kuntz. Also not a fan of running routes short of the sticks on 4th down.
  • Speaking of Kuntz, disappointed that there weren’t some plays dialed up for him. He’s proven to be a tougher matchup for opposing defenses compared to the ailing Martin.
  • KB’s decision making was questionable at times. The 2nd interception looked forced and he forced another throw to Martin into quadruple coverage. Gipson (3 rec, 36 yds) had a lot of single coverage last night, would have been nice to see some 50-50 balls thrown his way, especially seeing how he has proven to make some athletic plays (that touchdown reception that was called back was a phenomenal play). KB also overthrew a wide open Gandy for a sure touchdown.
  • Wide receivers had an underwhelming game. Aside from Chris Miller (1 rec, 8 yds) breaking the wrong way to give MSU a pick six, Martin (1 car, 3 yds, 2 rec, 19 yds) stopped running on a post corner route that would have set up a scoring opportunity on the play prior to Schriener’s missed field goal. A handful of drops by multiple players as well. This unit needed a better showing in a matchup like this one.
  • Defense did well in the first half but couldn’t get stops on 3rd and long in the 2nd half.
  • Defense held Sean Chambers to 81 total yards and 1 touchdown. He’s been a total wrecking ball until this week.
  • Conversely, the Hornets had no answer for Tommy Mellott and Julius Davis who ran roughshod over the defense in the 2nd half.
  • Had Schriener not missed a kick, the game would have been even tighter down the stretch. Can't leave points on the field in any game, let along games of this caliber.
  • On the game atmosphere front, the tailgate lot was packed and 16.1k in attendance was a pretty solid turnout and was a couple hundred more than last years ESPN2 game.

With the loss, the BSC title is now out of the equation but a playoff berth is well within grasp if the Hornets take care of business and at least split the final 4 games. The Hornets competed a lot better than I expected last night, but there were just too many mistakes to overcome in order to beat a team as good as MSU. The Hornets now get to transition from a game against the best rushing attack in the FCS to the best passing attack in the FCS as a resurgent Idaho State comes to town.

SD...we have often disagreed but I sincerely appreciate your exceedingly accurate perspective of the game.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back