• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Week 8 - #3 Sac State vs. #2 Montana State (10/21 @7:30 PM on ESPN2)

Worried about all of the bodies who are likely out in the defensive backfield. Would have warned you guys the same last week but I was banned from the board for a week.

I think Fulcher will play.

stingthemgood said:
Worried about all of the bodies who are likely out in the defensive backfield. Would have warned you guys the same last week but I was banned from the board for a week.

I think Fulcher will play.

There is a two-deep out there posted by a MSU reporter. Shows Meek over Richardson, no Leke Fashola (who came back last week), and Pollard starting at NB, with no O'Hara listed.

It’s time to pull out all the stops. Lean on your stars! Fulcher is back. Martin’s rounding back to form. Bennett needs to make smart decisions and go through is progressions. Defense, run containment will be key. Can’t give up the edge! HUGE deal against MSU’s dual threat QB. Plus, you cannot give up chunk plays. 30-45yds completions cannot be the norm! And it has been every week this year. Even against bad teams like UNC and NAU. This will be the best defense that the Hornets has played this year so far.

Week 8 - #3 Sac State vs #2 Montana State

The 3rd ranked Hornets (5-1, 2-1 BSC) host the FCS game of the week on ESPN 2 as the 2nd ranked Montana State Bobcats (5-1, 3-0 BSC) come to Hornet Stadium. This will be the first matchup between these two programs since 2019. MSU is looking to make their run for a 2nd consecutive BSC title and the FCS Championship under Head Coach Brent Vigen.

The Bobcats are an FCS Championship caliber team as proven on the field earlier this season. They sit atop the BSC stats in both offensive and defensive scoring, and offensive and defensive yardage totals. In week 2, MSU played at defending FCS Champion South Dakota State and took them to the wire. The Bobcats held a late lead, but gave up a late score. In the closing seconds, MSU was just a toe tap out of bounds from the game winning score before ultimately falling to SDSU 16-20. MSU’s other notable wins include a week 4 40-0 drubbing of Weber State in Ogden. The following week in Bozeman, MSU controlled an athletic and resurgent Portland State team that hung around until the 4th quarter before eventually pulling away for a 38-22 win.

Offensively, MSU has quite a few different looks. They primarily lineup from the shotgun/pistol and run standard read-option plays. The Bobcats also like to line up in power formations with the quarterback under center and utilize their tight ends very well. MSU relies heavily on their power rushing attack as they run the ball 66% of the time. MSU uses a 2 quarterback system with Tommy Mellott (21/29, 283 yds, 3 TD, 21 car, 156 yds) back from injury. Sean Chambers (43/77, 712 yds, 5 TD, 1 INT, 52 car, 461 yds, 11 TD) did an excellent job going about it solo and is also their leading rusher. Mellott is more of a shifty runner while Chambers is a physical freak of nature that has the physicality to run through tackles while also having the speed to take one to the house. In the backfield, MSU has two very talented runners that are difficult to take down. Jared White (49 car, 444 yds, 3 TD) and Julius Davis (48 car, 320 yds, 2 TD) are without a donut the best running back duo in the BSC. MSU’s leading receiver is Thomas Clevan Jr (15 rec, 220 yds, 1 TD) and tight end Treyton Pickering (8 rec, 184 yds, 2 TD) while Ty McCullouch (6 rec, 133 yds) can stretch the field vertically. Up front, the Bobcat offensive line is tenacious and very physical.

Offensive Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 44.5 (1st BSC / 1st FCS)
  • Total Offense: 516.5 ypg (325.2 rushing ypg / 191.3 passing ypg) - 1st (1st / 9th) BSC
  • Sacks Allowed: 5 (1st BSC)
  • Turnovers: 1/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone: 28/32 - 22/6 (TD/FG) - 6th BSC

MSU’s 4-2-5 defense has been dominant this entire season. They are very aggressive and physical up front and lead the BSC in sacks (20). There’s not much to say about this defense other than they have taken care of business in every game with the exception of one, and it wasn’t by much. Linebackers Danny Uluilakepa (34 tkl, 3 TFL, 1 sac) and McCade O’Reilly (33 tkl, 2.5 TFL, 1 sac) lead the Bobcat defense in tackles and defensive end Brody Grebe (21 tkl, 5.5 TFL, 4 sac) leads the team in sacks. Four other MSU defenders have at least 2 sacks on the year. Strong safety Rylan Ortt (30 tkl, 3 TFL, 1 sac, 2 INT) leads the team in interceptions.

Defensive Team Stats
  • Points allowed per game:16.8 (1st BSC / 10th FCS)
  • Total Defense: 292.5 ypg (112.5 rushing ypg / 180.0 passing ypg) - 1st (2nd / 2nd) BSC
  • Sacks : 20 (1st BSC)
  • Turnovers Forced: 7/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone: 10/12 - 9/1 (TD/FG) - 7th BSC

The lone chink in the armor for this MSU team is the kicking game. Kicker/punter Brendan Hall (6/8 FG, 29/32 PAT) had some misses a few weeks into the season that prompted the coaches to opt for Casey Kautzman (2/2 FG, 2/2 PAT) for a couple of games. However it looks like Hall has since settled into a grove. In the kick return game, former Hornet Marqui Johson is averaging 22 yards a return and has a long of 59 on the year. On punt returns, Ty McCulloch has taken a return to the house.

Hornet Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 30.2 (5th BSC / 33rd FCS)
  • Points allowed per game: 22.0 (3rd BSC / T-26th FCS)
  • Total Offense: 408.2 ypg (174.7 rushing ypg / 233.5 passing ypg) - 4th (4th / 6th) BSC
  • Total Defense: 348.3 ypg (144.8 rushing ypg / 203.5 passing ypg) - 4th (5th / 5th) BSC
  • Sacks Allowed: 8 (T-3rd BSC)
  • Sacks: 17 (T-2nd BSC)
  • Turnovers: 4/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Turnovers Forced: 5/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone Offense: 25/28 - 19/6 (TD/FG) - 4th BSC
  • Redzone Defense: 14/18 - 9/5 (TD/FG) - 3rd BSC

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Bobcats. The combination of Tommy Mellot and Sean Chambers is tough to beat. Even though this is a run heavy offense, both can sling the ball when needed.
  • Running Backs: Bobcats. Marcus Fulcher will be back, but the Bobcats have two running backs in Jared White and Julius Davis that are essentially 2 Fulchers worth of talent.
  • Wide Receivers: Hornets. Slight edge to the Hornets. As a whole, the Hornets have a more versatile group compared to MSU…whose receivers play second fiddle to the power running game.
  • Tight Ends: Push. Marshall Martin looks like he is returning to form and coupled with Coleman Kuntz this is a potent tight end threat for the Hornets. The Bobcats duo of Treyton Pickering and Derryk Snell are effective in both the run and passing game.
  • Offensive Line: Bobcats. The Bobcat offensive line has been dominant this season, the Hornets offensive line has had their struggles in a couple of outings.
  • Defensive Line: Bobcats. The MSU defensive line is more physical and aggressive than the Hornets and have 3 more sacks on the year compared to the Hornets
  • Linebackers: Hornets. Close one here, but Aarmon Bailey has really turned it on these past few games and statistically will be the best linebacker on the field. Brock Mather has been a consistent performer all season. Danny Uliulakep and McCade O’Reilly are an aggressive duo for MSU. There will be some really good linebacker play in this game.
  • Defensive Backs: Bobcats. Hard to get a clear take, but the MSU secondary gives up less yards per game and has snagged 2 more interceptions on the year on 12 more passing attempts against.
  • Punters: Hornets. Both have similar punting averages, however Cal McGough has dropped 11 of 15 punts inside the 20 compared to 4 of 14 for Brendan Hall.
  • Kickers: Hornets. Zach Schriener has been a more consistent kicker on the season compared to Brendan Hall.
  • Kick Returners: Bobcats. MSU has shown more signs of life in the return game compared to the Hornets.

I would expect a heavy dose of run plays from the power sets from MSU. The Hornets are giving up about 20 pounds on the interior of the line and I expect the Bobcats to take it right at them as this Hornet defense has struggled against the run this season. Once the Hornets have to cheat up on the defense to stop the run, MSU can attack one-on-one coverage in the secondary. MSU just has too many weapons for this Hornet defense to stop.

On the other side of the ball, the Hornets are going to have to have their best game of the season to move the ball against this aggressive Bobcat front. We’ve seen that the Hornets are capable of doing so, they just have to find a rhythm and keep the Bobcats on their heels. It's going to take a perfect game from the Hornet offense to even have a shot in this one.

I have the Hornets getting out muscled in this one and I think the Bobcats go on to win the BSC title and finish their season in Frisco. The Hornets are a good team, MSU is just a better team this year.

Stingers Up!

Montana State at South Dakota State Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h4BqY5TPys

Montana State at Weber State Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJ7T0Hmm0g

Portland State at Montana State Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwBT_VxH8Vg

I’ve seen our team play Stanford well. We’ve seen them struggle w NAU & UNC. Hoping this challenge is one that inspires them to be Elite in execution this Saturday.
In my pre season prediction: I was thinking 9-2 season.
Both L’ to Stanford & MSU. Hoping the raise the intensity and pound the rock to control the clock.(top). 🏆🏆🏆🏆

SDHornet said:
Week 8 - #3 Sac State vs #2 Montana State

The 3rd ranked Hornets (5-1, 2-1 BSC) host the FCS game of the week on ESPN 2 as the 2nd ranked Montana State Bobcats (5-1, 3-0 BSC) come to Hornet Stadium. This will be the first matchup between these two programs since 2019. MSU is looking to make their run for a 2nd consecutive BSC title and the FCS Championship under Head Coach Brent Vigen.

The Bobcats are an FCS Championship caliber team as proven on the field earlier this season. They sit atop the BSC stats in both offensive and defensive scoring, and offensive and defensive yardage totals. In week 2, MSU played at defending FCS Champion South Dakota State and took them to the wire. The Bobcats held a late lead, but gave up a late score. In the closing seconds, MSU was just a toe tap out of bounds from the game winning score before ultimately falling to SDSU 16-20. MSU’s other notable wins include a week 4 40-0 drubbing of Weber State in Ogden. The following week in Bozeman, MSU controlled an athletic and resurgent Portland State team that hung around until the 4th quarter before eventually pulling away for a 38-22 win.

Offensively, MSU has quite a few different looks. They primarily lineup from the shotgun/pistol and run standard read-option plays. The Bobcats also like to line up in power formations with the quarterback under center and utilize their tight ends very well. MSU relies heavily on their power rushing attack as they run the ball 66% of the time. MSU uses a 2 quarterback system with Tommy Mellott (21/29, 283 yds, 3 TD, 21 car, 156 yds) back from injury. Sean Chambers (43/77, 712 yds, 5 TD, 1 INT, 52 car, 461 yds, 11 TD) did an excellent job going about it solo and is also their leading rusher. Mellott is more of a shifty runner while Chambers is a physical freak of nature that has the physicality to run through tackles while also having the speed to take one to the house. In the backfield, MSU has two very talented runners that are difficult to take down. Jared White (49 car, 444 yds, 3 TD) and Julius Davis (48 car, 320 yds, 2 TD) are without a donut the best running back duo in the BSC. MSU’s leading receiver is Thomas Clevan Jr (15 rec, 220 yds, 1 TD) and tight end Treyton Pickering (8 rec, 184 yds, 2 TD) while Ty McCullouch (6 rec, 133 yds) can stretch the field vertically. Up front, the Bobcat offensive line is tenacious and very physical.

Offensive Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 44.5 (1st BSC / 1st FCS)
  • Total Offense: 516.5 ypg (325.2 rushing ypg / 191.3 passing ypg) - 1st (1st / 9th) BSC
  • Sacks Allowed: 5 (1st BSC)
  • Turnovers: 1/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone: 28/32 - 22/6 (TD/FG) - 6th BSC

MSU’s 4-2-5 defense has been dominant this entire season. They are very aggressive and physical up front and lead the BSC in sacks (20). There’s not much to say about this defense other than they have taken care of business in every game with the exception of one, and it wasn’t by much. Linebackers Danny Uluilakepa (34 tkl, 3 TFL, 1 sac) and McCade O’Reilly (33 tkl, 2.5 TFL, 1 sac) lead the Bobcat defense in tackles and defensive end Brody Grebe (21 tkl, 5.5 TFL, 4 sac) leads the team in sacks. Four other MSU defenders have at least 2 sacks on the year. Strong safety Rylan Ortt (30 tkl, 3 TFL, 1 sac, 2 INT) leads the team in interceptions.

Defensive Team Stats
  • Points allowed per game:16.8 (1st BSC / 10th FCS)
  • Total Defense: 292.5 ypg (112.5 rushing ypg / 180.0 passing ypg) - 1st (2nd / 2nd) BSC
  • Sacks : 20 (1st BSC)
  • Turnovers Forced: 7/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone: 10/12 - 9/1 (TD/FG) - 7th BSC

The lone chink in the armor for this MSU team is the kicking game. Kicker/punter Brendan Hall (6/8 FG, 29/32 PAT) had some misses a few weeks into the season that prompted the coaches to opt for Casey Kautzman (2/2 FG, 2/2 PAT) for a couple of games. However it looks like Hall has since settled into a grove. In the kick return game, former Hornet Marqui Johson is averaging 22 yards a return and has a long of 59 on the year. On punt returns, Ty McCulloch has taken a return to the house.

Hornet Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 30.2 (5th BSC / 33rd FCS)
  • Points allowed per game: 22.0 (3rd BSC / T-26th FCS)
  • Total Offense: 408.2 ypg (174.7 rushing ypg / 233.5 passing ypg) - 4th (4th / 6th) BSC
  • Total Defense: 348.3 ypg (144.8 rushing ypg / 203.5 passing ypg) - 4th (5th / 5th) BSC
  • Sacks Allowed: 8 (T-3rd BSC)
  • Sacks: 17 (T-2nd BSC)
  • Turnovers: 4/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Turnovers Forced: 5/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone Offense: 25/28 - 19/6 (TD/FG) - 4th BSC
  • Redzone Defense: 14/18 - 9/5 (TD/FG) - 3rd BSC

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Bobcats. The combination of Tommy Mellot and Sean Chambers is tough to beat. Even though this is a run heavy offense, both can sling the ball when needed.
  • Running Backs: Bobcats. Marcus Fulcher will be back, but the Bobcats have two running backs in Jared White and Julius Davis that are essentially 2 Fulchers worth of talent.
  • Wide Receivers: Hornets. Slight edge to the Hornets. As a whole, the Hornets have a more versatile group compared to MSU…whose receivers play second fiddle to the power running game.
  • Tight Ends: Push. Marshall Martin looks like he is returning to form and coupled with Coleman Kuntz this is a potent tight end threat for the Hornets. The Bobcats duo of Treyton Pickering and Derryk Snell are effective in both the run and passing game.
  • Offensive Line: Bobcats. The Bobcat offensive line has been dominant this season, the Hornets offensive line has had their struggles in a couple of outings.
  • Defensive Line: Bobcats. The MSU defensive line is more physical and aggressive than the Hornets and have 3 more sacks on the year compared to the Hornets
  • Linebackers: Hornets. Close one here, but Aarmon Bailey has really turned it on these past few games and statistically will be the best linebacker on the field. Brock Mather has been a consistent performer all season. Danny Uliulakep and McCade O’Reilly are an aggressive duo for MSU. There will be some really good linebacker play in this game.
  • Defensive Backs: Bobcats. Hard to get a clear take, but the MSU secondary gives up less yards per game and has snagged 2 more interceptions on the year on 12 more passing attempts against.
  • Punters: Hornets. Both have similar punting averages, however Cal McGough has dropped 11 of 15 punts inside the 20 compared to 4 of 14 for Brendan Hall.
  • Kickers: Hornets. Zach Schriener has been a more consistent kicker on the season compared to Brendan Hall.
  • Kick Returners: Bobcats. MSU has shown more signs of life in the return game compared to the Hornets.

I would expect a heavy dose of run plays from the power sets from MSU. The Hornets are giving up about 20 pounds on the interior of the line and I expect the Bobcats to take it right at them as this Hornet defense has struggled against the run this season. Once the Hornets have to cheat up on the defense to stop the run, MSU can attack one-on-one coverage in the secondary. MSU just has too many weapons for this Hornet defense to stop.

On the other side of the ball, the Hornets are going to have to have their best game of the season to move the ball against this aggressive Bobcat front. We’ve seen that the Hornets are capable of doing so, they just have to find a rhythm and keep the Bobcats on their heels. It's going to take a perfect game from the Hornet offense to even have a shot in this one.

I have the Hornets getting out muscled in this one and I think the Bobcats go on to win the BSC title and finish their season in Frisco. The Hornets are a good team, MSU is just a better team this year.

Stingers Up!

Montana State at South Dakota State Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h4BqY5TPys

Montana State at Weber State Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJ7T0Hmm0g

Portland State at Montana State Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwBT_VxH8Vg

:notworthy:

Tommy being back means they can throw it a bit more than they could before. We need to figure out a way to stop the run first and foremost. I think it's going to be a challenge.

We should have more DB depth on this trip after the injuries last week.

Juniel has been playing really well - his improvement has been a bright spot.

I am glad Fulcher is coming back. But, he can't be the only dude in the backfield... I really expected more from ETT after the flashes I saw last year. Moleni and Burnett were serviceable. Wonder if Borders of Kebeli get in the mix late in the season with the new RS rules. I feel like someone will breakout like Skattebo did in late 21...

Starting next week against ISU, I think Thompson will be able to unleash a lot of dudes with only 4 games left (playoff games don't count).

It will be nice to know that if KB gets hurt, after MSU game, Conklin can play too and keep his RS.

Kadeezy said:
I am glad Fulcher is coming back. But, he can't be the only dude in the backfield... I really expected more from ETT after the flashes I saw last year. Moleni and Burnett were serviceable. Wonder if Borders of Kebeli get in the mix late in the season with the new RS rules. I feel like someone will breakout like Skattebo did in late 21...

Starting next week against ISU, I think Thompson will be able to unleash a lot of dudes with only 4 games left (playoff games don't count).

It will be nice to know that if KB gets hurt, after MSU game, Conklin can play too and keep his RS.

From what I am hearing, Conklin would be in for a long term backup scenario - but they won't risk him getting hurt unless they need him to carry the club. I don't think Carson's hand has ever been right since that early season injury and from what I'm hearing he might need offseason surgery.

stingthemgood said:
Kadeezy said:

From what I am hearing, Conklin would be in for a long term backup scenario - but they won't risk him getting hurt unless they need him to carry the club. I don't think Carson's hand has ever been right since that early season injury and from what I'm hearing he might need offseason surgery.

It makes sense that if KB goes down at any point they throw in Conklin. I have watched Camp throw on the side and in pregame since the Nicholls hand/thumb? injury and it ain't right....

Media Coverage for this week:

Article on Bailey - https://www.dailyrepublic.com/sports/college/vandens-armon-bailey-all-the-buzz-as-hornets-continue-climb-up-national-rankings/article_62ceba7a-6d28-11ee-83e7-b33fa910a047.html

Bozeman Daily Chronicle - https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/notebook-no-2-montana-state-faces-no-3-sacramento-state-for-first-time-since-2019/article_0c101088-6c76-11ee-b031-cfc06b307050.html

Vigen Press Conference on Sac State - https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-montana-state-head-coach-brent-vigen-on-sacramento-state/

HornetSports.com Preview - https://hornetsports.com/news/2023/10/17/football-football-hosts-2-montana-state-in-top-five-showdown.aspx

https://sactownsports.com/category/podcast_player/?a=1ee8ffd4-4365-42d3-99bf-19c5d9f8ec03&n=Stingers%20Up%20-%20The%20Sacramento%20State%20Football%20Podcast%20with%20Jason%20Ross&i=1593

This article by Freeman well written. He shares my same concerns about the past few games.

I’m still going to predict we get a W 🙏🏻. The offense needs to get healthy and SCORE. No more basic play calling or we are going to get lit up.

Hornets 45. Bobcats 42…. Barn Burner! 🔥🔥🔥

https://statehornet.com/2023/10/sac-state-football-espn-montana-state-big-sky/

Credit due to the folks running the social media accounts. They've been pumping out some real bangers this season. :clap:

https://twitter.com/hornetsports/status/1714439651061338304

https://twitter.com/SacHornetsFB/status/1715168021411663954

Latest posts

Back