• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Week 5 - #8 Sac State vs Northern Arizona

GreenArmySwarm said:
Not sure if Martin is injured. But Fresques has completely iced out one of the best players in the country.

To me he looks like he’s in full decoy mode, dude is hurt…

The refs have been terrible. On a 4th down play, you’re going to allowed a crazy hold on the o-line was the QB has extra time to complete a throw. How can the whole Hornets sideline see it and the ref who’s standing right there not?

Kadeezy said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
Not sure if Martin is injured. But Fresques has completely iced out one of the best players in the country.

To me he looks like he’s in full decoy mode, dude is hurt…

I see. Well I gotta say, I don’t think it works because Defenses aren’t really doing anything different with him on or off the field.

This coaching staff needs to look at itself in the mirror during this bye week. Especially on the defensive end. Absolutely embarrassing.

I'd like your opinion of the decision to take an intentional to close this game out. I've always loved the play, but I thought the spread was a bit close for it. At least it pretty much ran out the clock, which is the purpose of the play. I would have preferred to use Bennett for it since he's more experienced in carrying the ball than McGough. Can't argue with the result, though.

Overall, this game gives me the feel of a steep drop-off by the defense, but Bennett wasn't having it. That probably won't work when we get to MT State, Montana, and the Manure Pile, but we have time to get it fixed...I hope....

Since I can't seem to get O'Hara on my Cowboys, maybe I can get Bennett instead. He's kicking some major butt this year even when others aren't. I think SD and Sting had him on their radar the last couple of years. SD and Sting should be commended for that foresight.

31-30 Hornet win. Looks like I missed the boat on NAU and this Hornet team. Some how the Hornets escaped, NAU had the Hornets dead to rights and some how the Hornets pull it out. This is exhausting. More thoughts tomorrow.

A ‘W’ is a ‘W’, they say. So from that standpoint, the Hornets will surely take it.

But there are many things to work on and improve upon. Defense being at the forefront of it all.

As for what’s going on with Marshel Martin, I gotta believe he’s still hampered by the early season injury. But then he suddenly appeared when Kaiden Bennett tried to hit him on that late drive in the end zone. So I’m at a loss why he’s barely involved.

Good news is, Koontz looks good. Bennett is still making plays with his arm and legs. And Cal McGough has been top notch punting the ball. I also liked what I saw from Zeke Burnett. I’ve been hoping to see him get some carries.

If Thompson can get the defense turned around, this team still can contend for another conference title. But there’s little doubt that this team isn’t as good as the past couple seasons.

Our team looks as though these past few weeks we either Play UP or Play DOWN to level of our competition.
Our offensive play calling has become basic. Not sure WHY fresques isn’t calling the offense per what built our foundation these past few years via TT. “Take what the defense gives us!” Keep the ball / control TOP.

Our defensive tackling was ridiculous. 🤦🏻‍♂️. NAU probably compiled a statistician to predict A Thompson play calling or they read the signs because they called the right plays at the right time.
Lucky to have gotten out of that game with a W!
Better get back to the lab and get things fixed asap!

Hornets find a way to pull out a win in the closing moments of a game yet again. The 31-30 win against NAU gets the Hornets their first BSC win of the year. It wasn’t pretty and there are still things to clean up midway through the season, but a win is a win, especially as the injuries are starting to stack up and key players are missing time.

Offensively the Hornets just find ways to get it done. Kaiden Bennett (18/27, 257 yds, 22 car, 76 yds) is exciting to watch. While the offense is evolving away from the power running game we saw during the Taylor era (it also didn’t help that Marcus Fulcher missed the game with an injury), we are seeing the emergence of a true play maker akin to what EWU showcased all those years during their dominance. It won’t appear as refined and calculated as what we saw during our threepeat, but it will produce wins and give the Hornets good odds for a win every week. Ezra Moleni (11 car, 47 yds) and Zeke Burnett (6 car, 40 yds, 1 TD) had productive games as well. Once again, the receivers made plays when needed.

The obvious and lazy take is to say the defense is struggling against the run and was sliced up by a young NAU quarterback, tackled poorly and lost contain far too many plays. While that is valid and needs improvement, the reality is this Hornet defense got a late takeaway in the most critical moment of the game to seal the win. Rewatch that last NAU drive. The Hornets were locked in and forced the NAU offense into multiple make or break situations. The Hornet defense stacked enough of those situations up that in the closing moments it just took one of those situations to go in the Hornets favor to be the deciding factor. It’s not the defensive domination Hornet fans want to see, but it’s what we have and it works…and has been working since 2019.

Special teams had a less than desirable game. Zach Schriener (1/2 FG, 4/4 PAT) missed a 41 yard field goal that changed the entire complexion of the final quarter. Evan Kiely had yet another kick off out of bounds in a critical situation. On a positive note, Cal McGough landed both of his punts inside the 20. And does anyone know if a bouncing kickoff can be fair caught?

Here are my takeaways from the game:
  • Hornets didn’t come out with much energy, and it looked and felt pretty flat. Fortunately the Hornets found some energy as the game progressed.
  • KB is absolutely nails in crunch time. That game winning drive was exceptional. It would be nice to see him use his outlet in the flat rather than scramble around, but hard to see that changing now. Sometimes those scrambles go for a positive play, sometimes they don’t. Hornet fans just get to sit back and enjoy the show.
  • Receivers making plays. Jarod Gipson (5 rec, 108 yds) led the way and Coleman Kuntz (5 rec, 51 yds, 1 car, 2 yds, 1 TD) is emerging as a go-to guy in critical situations. That said, while the other receivers don’t have eye popping stats, they make the plays when needed. Carlos Hill (2 rec, 22 yds, 1 TD) had an athletic catch for a touchdown, Devin Gandy (2 rec, 29 yds) had an acrobatic catch that set up the game winning touchdown and Christian Miller (1 rec, 30 yds) made an impact on his lone catch. The Hornets have a very solid and deep receiving group.
  • Offensive line struggles continued. Running inside the tackles is almost non-existent and KB was under a lot of pressure last night. Also saw a lot of pulling linemen putting a helmet on no one.
  • I’m not a fan of how Elijah Tau-Tolliver (4 car, 9 yds, 1 TD, 1 rec, 11 yds) is being used on offense. The coaches need to find a way to get him in space so his speed can create plays, Moleni appears to be the tougher runner between the tackles.
  • I agree that the play calling was unimaginative but the reality is it didn’t need to be imaginative against NAU’s defense. That said, that game winning tight end dive to Kuntz out of the power formation was a thing of beauty. No one saw that coming, absolute brilliance by Coach Fresques.
  • Defense struggled with tackling and contain. A lot of NAU running plays were bottled up in the backfield only for the running back to bounce it outside for chunk yardage. The Hornets just need to be better.
  • Hornet defense let NAU off the hook on multiple down and distance situations.
  • While Armon Bailey (10 tak, 1 TFL) and Jace O’Hara (9 tak) led the Hornets in tackling, Josh Cashiola (7 tak, 2 TFL) had a breakout game. A lot of athleticism displayed on multiple plays.
  • The game sealing pick by Kameron Rocha (4 tak, 1 INT) will get all the attention, but it was Caleb Nelson’s (3 tak, 1 TFL) TFL on the play prior that set it up. If Nelson doesn’t blow up that screen pass for a loss, NAU likely isn’t forced into a must throw situation the following play.
  • Shame on the Hornet coaches for not knowing the 1st grade math of running out the clock on that final possession. Actually running a play on that first down eliminates the need for the safety and keeps the ball out of NAU’s hands one last time.
  • Solid crowd last night, and no long lines at entry is a nice hat tip to the admin for getting that sorted out after the last home game debacle. 12.5k is a solid showing. Even more impressive was the crowd involvement late in the game and the fact that most of the students stuck around the entire time. Usually they bail to find the parties around half time.

On a personal note, this is a big win for Coach Thompson. He was the longtime defensive coordinator under Jerome Souers at NAU before being snubbed for the head coaching gig that ultimately went to Chris Ball. Thompson then bailed to be defensive coordinator at Southern Utah for a few weeks before Taylor poached him to come to Sac. Thompson no doubt had this game circled on his calendar, and it's pretty ironic how it all shook out in our favor, both last night and our long term outlook.

As much as we can doom over this ugly win against a lesser opponent, it’s still a win and championship caliber programs find ways to win. The Hornets are going to see everyone’s best every week. Hornets enter the bye on a positive note and get some much needed rest. Heavy is the crown.

Kadeezy said:
Also, was Lynch in street clothes for the second half?

He played the 1st play of the 2nd half when NAU was pinned at their own 1, but I don’t believe he played another snap.

I didn’t notice anything peculiar on that one play, but perhaps something was lingering from the scoop and run that was negated earlier in the game? IDK.

Magic is gone. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Playcalling is uneventful. I know TT called almost all the plays, if not all, how much was Fresques involved during gametime? Was he just a spotter for TT from the booth?

How many times does the defense get punked for trick plays? 14 NAU points came from trickery, yet we havent dished any trickey all year.

Bennett is accounting for 298yds per game. That is way too much to be contributed by one player. When he goes down, it will be a drought of production. Fulcher, Martin out. Where is Gamble? He is shifty, quick and fun to watch.

MSU is going to have a slaughter on their hands. And on National TV.

Kadeezy said:
How long until Marshel Martin enters the transfer portal?

Never, this is his final year of eligibility and he's already played in 4 games. It sucks seeing Marshel Martin be ineffective this season considering the role he played during the Threepeat. I sure hope he gets to full strength before the season is over.

Green Cookie Monster said:
Magic is gone. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Playcalling is uneventful. I know TT called almost all the plays, if not all, how much was Fresques involved during gametime? Was he just a spotter for TT from the booth?

How many times does the defense get punked for trick plays? 14 NAU points came from trickery, yet we havent dished any trickey all year.

Bennett is accounting for 298yds per game. That is way too much to be contributed by one player. When he goes down, it will be a drought of production. Fulcher, Martin out. Where is Gamble? He is shifty, quick and fun to watch.

MSU is going to have a slaughter on their hands. And on National TV.

No it's not. We don't win these types of games if the magic is gone. Going for multiple 4th down conversions (and hitting them) instead of settling for FG's is the polar opposite of "playing not to lose". What game did you watch?

And so what if Bennett is the spark plug for this offense. People thought we were done because Skat (43% of '22 rushing yards) bailed for ASU. We're still winning, stop dooming. We can worry about Bennett's health when there's a reason to worry about his health. He takes some shots but he's a running quarterback so that's the risk.

MSU should be the last thing the Hornets are thinking about right now. Hornets have to get a road win at UNC before then...and even before that the Hornets should be focusing on cleaning things up and resting up during the bye. Dooming when we're 4-1 and heading into a bye is completely nonsensical.

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BgDgnumcJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tls_IBIHeRA

Latest posts

Back