• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Week 3 - #8 Sac State at Stanford

SDHornet said:
  • Kicking was clutch. Schreiner (3/3 FG, 3/3 PAT) hit a big 44 yarder to tie the game late in the 4th quarter as he was able to match one of he best kickers in all of college football kick for kick. It’s also important to note that both kickers kept every kickoff in bounds as that could have spelled disaster in a close game.

THANK YOU for mentioning this! Watching the game, they kept going on about Joshua Karty and how he was basically "All World". (He IS damned good, no disrespect against the young man.) However I kept thinking "Our guy's doing just fine himself, matching him kick for kick." OUTSTANDING job by all our special teams!

stingthemgood said:
A few more tack ons to the great post above.

Jace O’Hara played limited snaps but was huge for us when he was in.

We used Martin as a decoy on several of the big pass completions we had. I don’t think he is 100% but he used him enough to help the team and he did an amazing job.

Here’s the Jason Ross calls of Kaiden to Marcus (how have we not named that play yet?) and the final defensive stop.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1703249507280891948?s=20

Thanks for posting the J Ross call. Way better than the chic going the Pac12 Netowork call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGyGpK7M3JE

Someone posted earlier that the fans are enjoying the golden era of Hornet football. What a great way to characterize this run. In my 26 years or so following the program, I’d say so.

Watching the game, I did a double-take a few times. Can anyone confirm that former Santa Clara alumnus and Dallas Cowboy tight end Doug Cosbie was on the sidelines? If so, is he serving as a volunteer assistant?

Sac State vs Stanford is getting ENCORE play right now in the PAC12 Network! 😂😂

Bet since WSU & OSU are running the conference they put this on to DIG the LOSS deeper for the Cardinal.

There's not much I can say that all you guys haven't said already. Tremendous 'W'.

These are exactly the type of wins a program needs to continue ascending. The more of these types of wins and the more BSC titles the Hornets get, the easier recruiting becomes.

Sac State has become a top destination for FCS talent. While the facilities aren't what the likes of Montana and NDST have, kids are attracted to winning. We all know that. And with the Hornets program turning out more NFL talent, these recruits see that it is possible to get where they wanna go playing for the green and gold. So from that standpoint, this was another benchmark win.

Now they just need to keep focus and find a way to beat a very good Idaho team on the road. A team they barely held on to beat at home last season. A team with a very, very good QB. Perhaps the best QB they'll face all season.

I watched the Idaho-CAL game on Saturday afternoon. The Vandals had the Bears in a 17-0 hole early and even led at half before the wheels fell off. But that is a good team regardless.

the Rat said:
Someone posted earlier that the fans are enjoying the golden era of Hornet football. What a great way to characterize this run. In my 26 years or so following the program, I’d say so.

Watching the game, I did a double-take a few times. Can anyone confirm that former Santa Clara alumnus and Dallas Cowboy tight end Doug Cosbie was on the sidelines? If so, is he serving as a volunteer assistant?

Doug has always been a Palo Alto guy -- pretty sure he was just visiting but if I find out more I'll reach out Rat.

Big Sky Offensive, Defensive AND Special Teams Players of the Week!

https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/1703801746404131287?t=GebdV_CK4m0VzB6VFqh0Yw&s=19

https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/1703801837609250880?t=p8SxlQ48KefIaEBF1kfp5Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/1703802033692958795?t=kMhorszr0tx8dAyHEg471w&s=19

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/1703874203265401123?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/1703882622403793367

I was wondering if any of you saw a familiar pattern with TT's coaching.....After dominating with the running game to start the game, he changes and starts to throw a lot more....Reminded me of the UI game last year when Sac was up at half by 10, push the lead to 17, then TT insists on throwing the ball resulting in a couple of picks allowing UI to even take the lead before the Hornets came back to win....Skat had close to 100 yds on the ground at half and only got 6 carries in the second half....Anyone see the similarity? It seems to me that he overthinks the offense at times as if he wants to prove a point...I don't know, maybe it's just me over thinking it....I have always been one to not fix something that is working incredibly well..

HornetFootballFan said:
Sac State vs Stanford is getting ENCORE play right now in the PAC12 Network! 😂😂

Bet since WSU & OSU are running the conference they put this on to DIG the LOSS deeper for the Cardinal.

This is how I had to watch it. There are apparently something like six different Pac-12 Networks, and the original broadcast was on Pac-12 Bay Area, which I don't get with my cable package here in Twentynine Palms. But it DID show up on one of the two Pac-12 Network feeds I DO get, so I set the DVR. I just finished watching it.

I was impressed with the Hornets in all phases of the game, from offensive playcalling and execution to the pressure defense. The D-Line in particular, especially DT Jett Stanley. Not only did we get a ton of sacks, they all seemed to be well-timed, too.

Normally, I'm a fan of female PxP announcers, but this one was a bit much of a Stanford homer for my taste, including declaring that the decision to wave off the Stanford pick six was wrong. (Replay showed that the guy's knee WAS down.) She also tried to assert that Bennett's knee was down on the Fulcher touchdown, but I clearly saw space under his knee.

Overall, a great performance, especially the gritty play of Kaiden Bennett. And the results showed up in the polls. We're now #4 in both the Coaches Poll and in the STATS Perform Poll. Heck, we even got a first place vote in the STATS Poll. I'm disappointed, however, to find that we only got up to #5 in the AGS Poll. We WERE declared to be the most significant win of the week in the AGS Poll.

Idaho has a big fight coming up. Get your stingers up!

Super Hornet 2.0 said:
Normally, I'm a fan of female PxP announcers, but this one was a bit much of a Stanford homer for my taste, including declaring that the decision to wave off the Stanford pick six was wrong. (Replay showed that the guy's knee WAS down.) She also tried to assert that Bennett's knee was down on the Fulcher touchdown, but I clearly saw space under his knee.

Probably not a Stanford homer, but more likely a Pac 12 homer. Elise Woodward is a former University of Washington women's basketball player and has been part of Husky football and broadcasts for some time. She's also been on sports radio in Seattle.

peegeepee said:
I was wondering if any of you saw a familiar pattern with TT's coaching.....After dominating with the running game to start the game, he changes and starts to throw a lot more....Reminded me of the UI game last year when Sac was up at half by 10, push the lead to 17, then TT insists on throwing the ball resulting in a couple of picks allowing UI to even take the lead before the Hornets came back to win....Skat had close to 100 yds on the ground at half and only got 6 carries in the second half....Anyone see the similarity? It seems to me that he overthinks the offense at times as if he wants to prove a point...I don't know, maybe it's just me over thinking it....I have always been one to not fix something that is working incredibly well..

I almost posted this exact sentiment. I’m sitting there the first couple drives looking at them gash us on the ground like I thought they would… we just don’t have the interior DL and MLB depth of an FBS school. Then the two crappy Stanford QBs start winging the ball over guys’ heads, for no gain on slow screens. It made no sense.

In the first half, stanford averaged almost 7 yards per play. They averaged less than 4 in the second half. Credit to our guys - it was evident we were physically overmatched, and they had more “volume of talent.” I mean, their kickoff team was just a bunch of 3 and 4 star dudes running down like crazy. The “pedigree” disparity was apparent. The Hornets didn’t give a f$@k and let their nuts hang out, as my old coach used to say.

Hornets had superior play calling on offense and defense, more heart, better adjustments, higher motors, and never gave up - didn’t let the laundry (stanford uniforms) beat them.

It was my favorite Hornet game ever. Pure guts and a blissful ending!

peegeepee said:

It was noticed and often pointed out much to the chagrin of those with more knowledge of the game. After all, you can't criticize coaching unless you have done it yourself. :roll:

While TT was the key component in getting this program to championship caliber status by a dominating fashion and will go down as the best head coach in our D1 era, he is certainly not infallible. Granted, this all comes across as being nit-picky given the levels of success we have enjoyed, but his play calling often went away from things that worked (the tell actually happened in that close game at UNC the year prior) which inexplicably let teams off the mat. Then there is the inexplicable timeout usage, or lack thereof, at the end of a half (Montucky game and UIW game). Again, those are really just nit-picky given the body of work over his 4 years here.

The only valid knock on TT is that he couldn't get it done in the playoffs. There's various reasons for that, some beyond his control, but that is the missing milestone from an otherwise immaculate tenure here at Sac State. Personally, the underwhelming performances in the playoffs don't mean much as I never expected to see a BSC title, and TT delivered 3 straight. I could have never imagined in my wildest dreams a universe in which the Sacramento State Hornets completely dominate the BSC for 3 seasons. We've not lost a BSC game since 2019. There's just no words that can describe the awesomeness that this run entails. I'd be surprised if any longtime suffering Hornets alums/fans feel differently. Almost all of that is thanks to TT and his astute coaching abilities.

Regarding TT's departure, what's done is done and the business side of D1 coaching is that no one ever stays in one place for a long time. The economics dictate that to a large degree, especially for an FCS program like ours. Ironically enough, TT's departure allowed us to retain Thompson as I don't think he would have been around after last season given the amount of turnover in the head coaching ranks within the BSC. The fact that we retained Thompson and coupled that with Richardson and Fresquez declining to leave with TT (among others) has set us up for success for the foreseeable future. Given the tremendous leadership we had in place, there was never a reason to doom over his departure and this win vindicates that sentiment.

This huge win over TT and his new program brings closure to that whole saga surrounding the timeline of his departure and the fallout that ensued. You can't tell me that whole ordeal didn't impact our playoff run last season. You can see that by the way the players handled themselves during this game. It was obvious this game meant a lot as they were wearing their emotions on their sleeve. Now we can all move on and wholeheartedly cheer on TT to succeed at the Farm with no qualms about what could have been.

Thank you Troy Taylor, and best of luck in the ACC.

CBS FCS Power Rankings

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-top-25-sacramento-state-leaps-north-dakota-state-in-fcs-power-rankings-after-stanford-upset/

peegeepee said:
Kadeezy said:
I almost posted this exact sentiment. I’m sitting there the first couple drives looking at them gash us on the ground like I thought they would… we just don’t have the interior DL and MLB depth of an FBS school. Then the two crappy Stanford QBs start winging the ball over guys’ heads, for no gain on slow screens. It made no sense.
SDHornet said:
It was noticed and often pointed out much to the chagrin of those with more knowledge of the game. After all, you can't criticize coaching unless you have done it yourself. :roll:

While TT was the key component in getting this program to championship caliber status by a dominating fashion and will go down as the best head coach in our D1 era, he is certainly not infallible.

Yes, it's been noticed and spotlighted. As SD pointed out tongue-in-cheek, certain members of this community that seemingly know nothing about the game or the background of the other members of this forum didn't like it much.

I've known of Coach Taylor since he was a player in HS at Bella Vista and Cordova then after his college and pro playing days as coordinator at Casa Roble then as Folsom HC and Co-HC (he held the position on two different occasions). I was a strong endorser of his before he ever was seriously considered for the job here at Sac State. I'm very familiar with his coaching style and tendencies having seen him for so many years.

It should be clear to all by now that he's a phenomenal coach. He's has a tremendous mind for offensive football and has been among the top QB whisperers across the country for decades.

That said, anybody that really followed him at Folsom HS and then even at Eastern WA and Utah would know that he's had a tendency to underutilize the run game and his backs, even when he has some really good ones. That doesn't make him a bad coach, it's just acknowledgement of a tendency. The only place he didn't really go away from it was while he was at Utah because Kyle Whittingham made sure he featured Zach Moss.

Actually, the trend continued at Folsom even once Taylor left the program for EW. Under Richardson and Fresques, even Daniyel Ngata was underutilized as Folsom's best offensive weapon his Senior year. It's just how that offense is run.

While TT was much better involving the traditional run game (not including QB runs) at Sac State, he still showed the tendency to go away from it even in instances when it was working so well. That's just been his M.O. for a long while. And you saw it again this past Saturday.

As SD pointed out, it's hard to be overly critical considering his high degree of success. However it seems to become a much bigger factor against top competition and in big games.

You're not crazy for noticing it.

I feel like the biggest thing under TT was defined roles for the RBs... I think Bobby and Donnel have done a great job with that. We have the ability to put to guys out there in the backfield, or one lined up, but we know at this stage that

1) Marcus is the every down back who can do a little bit of everything for us and has the ability to break tackles at the second level
2) ETT can be split wide for his catching ability, brought in motion with his speed, or used on PA's due to being the best pass protector we have
3) Ezra will give you 110% for 6-8 big rushes a game between the tackles. He knows that is his role, so he puts everything he has into those runs. Its been beautiful to watch

Sometimes with TT and Agnew -- we would see weird usage combos - almost like we were outthinking ourselves. There were a couple times last year we had Elijah Gable in the backfield on third and short - or handed it to him coming in motion. The guy is listed at 5'5" 146 -- his role shouldn't be 3rd and short.

Latest posts

Back