• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Week 12 - #8 Sac State at Causeway

GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
Andy Thompson’s defense looks unprepared and a step behind on the first drive.

In a rivalry game.

And Bobby Fresque’s offense joins him.

Second drive. Bobby Fresques play calling is back at it again.

Even the Special Team is getting beat

This O-Line is not getting any push for the predictable run game. Kris Richardson and his hammerheads have yet shown up to play.

The combination of this o-line and play calling has been absolutely embarrassing. What’s the excuse now? Last regular season game of the year.

All-Conference. All-Americans. All to waste thanks to this coaching staff. 0 points so far in the first half while Davis have had possessions of the ball pretty much the whole game. Hornets have been out coached by a mile as well as outplayed.

Carson should not be playing.

Carson on the road has been a different player. Any of us (maybe except SuperHornet) could have thrown it to Martin for a TD on that fourth down.

stingthemgood said:
Carson on the road has been a different player. Any of us (maybe except SuperHornet) could have thrown it to Martin for a TD on that fourth down.

The one good play that Fresques called and Carson blew it. The true freshman is showing why most programs don’t start true freshmen. The moment might be too big for the 18 yo. Kaiden needs to play in the second half.

Davis is getting help from the refs now too. PI not call. Roughing the passer, not call. Sideline ref was literally smiling while calling turnovers on down.

Disgusting.

Good to see things revert to normal. It’s been a weird bizarro world the last three causeways. I suspect the Aggies are on the cusp of another long long long causeway winning streak.

aggiemba said:
Good to see things revert to normal. It’s been a weird bizarro world the last three causeways. I suspect the Aggies are on the cusp of another long long long causeway winning streak.

Go fuck yourself you stupid bitch

aggiemba said:

Where have you been the last 3 years?

21-31 Hornets loss. I picked up the game late in the 2nd quarter and it was obvious that the Hornet coaches did not have this team ready for this game. Credit to the dungpile defense for shutting the Hornets down for most of the game. The Hornets were clearly outcoached and I think they played themselves out of the playoffs as well. This Hornet team doesn’t deserve to see the postseason.

I’m off the Coach Freques band wagon. I understand that you want to get the freshman quarterback experience as he is the future of the program, but not going with Kaiden Bennett in these weather conditions shows that Fresques learned nothing from the Montana loss. This is probably the most concerning aspect of the game. There were other glaring concerns as well, not taking points at the end of the 1st half was an awful mistake. Points are a premium in any game, especially the Causeway. The coaching staff also passed up on a field goal midway in the 3rd quarter. Then having the ball in positive territory and calling a reverse flea-flicker is the epitome of typical Hornet play calling in a Causeway. Coach Fresques needs to be better, and I fear he isn’t going to get better given what we’ve seen down the back stretch of this season.

Hornet defense kept the Hornets in the game as this shouldn’t have been as close as it was in the 4th quarter (2 possessions). But that big pass play for a touchdown late in the 4th was horrendous play. The Hornet defense fell apart in garbage time.

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWawT1hd8k

Full Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RhyVgdK13k

The team this year just isn’t well coached. I feel bad for the seniors to go out like this. They panicked from the beginning (even when down 7 pts) which makes you think they lack preparation. I don’t think coach Thompson realizes how important the Causeway classic is to the alumni. If he did, he wouldve had the team on point today. Not a deserving playoff team. Feels like the Stanford win was too draining, it took out all the juice from this team.

Hornet99 said:
The team this year just isn’t well coached. I feel bad for the seniors to go out like this. They panicked from the beginning (even when down 7 pts) which makes you think they lack preparation. I don’t think coach Thompson realizes how important the Causeway classic is to the alumni. If he did, he wouldve had the team on point today. Not a deserving playoff team. Feels like the Stanford win was too draining, it took out all the juice from this team.

The Stanford game was our Super Bowl this season. This team was never the same after that win.

Lost a lot strong character players from last year with Skat and the QBs, just didn’t replace it, leadership wasn’t there, more of an individual style which isn’t Sac St’s strength.

I know it’s easy to coach from the TV. I acknowledge it’s a very competitive game to coach at this level. BUT it seems obvious by many of the comments here that we got out coached. My concern is whether or not our coaches are not adjusting to reality:

1. No doubt Conklin is a great talent. But if he’s not quite ready then why put him in as a starter when he’s not quite ready? Are we setting him up for success?

2. Why focus on a passing heavy offense when we have such a strong running game, especially in rainy/windy conditions? Why not go with Bennett much earlier where we have the dual threat advantage?

3. Our success IMO lies in our ability to run first with Bennett as the QB. We ran well against most of our opponents this season. Our defense isn’t dominant but I feel we’re good enough to bend and not break if we chew up the clock.

Thoughts? I imagine some of you have coaching backgrounds. I’d be curious to hear some thoughts.

As one with a rather limited coaching background (two years coaching JV, one each at Sacramento-Capital Christian and Yucca Valley in the late '90s and '00s), I do have some thoughts, Joe, though by no means do I claim to be expert. I'm not a fan of modern offenses in general, but I would agree with you on all three points. At the professional level, IF THE SEASON SEEMS SHOT, one might make the switch for talent evaluation. But not only is Sac not a professional team, the season was far from shot. It might well be now. (I say MIGHT because 7-4 might well be good enough to get us a first round road game, though a seed and bye is definitely out the window now.)

Weather IS a primary factor in deciding what plays to call. While one does have to throw SOME, when it's wet and windy, establishing a running game is even more important. If one has a valid running quarterback, using him is even more of an imperative.

I'm not sure a two-quarterback system would have been effective as it was in the last couple of years, simply because of the general consensus that Conklin wasn't anywhere near ready. While I like the idea of playing the backup for one series in the second quarter so that the starter can get another perspective of what's happening out there, unless you have a pair of quarterbacks like Waterfield and van Brocklin (at the professional level, or, in our case, Dunniway and O'Hara), a two-quarterback system often does not work. And the difference between seasons couldn't be more stark. The switch from Dunniway to O'Hara and back seemed to be a bit more planned and smooth in most cases, whereas the switch between Bennett and Conklin seemed to be rather knee-jerk.

For the board overall, the best football minds, in my evaluation, are SD and Sting. I'd be interested in seeing their evaluations.

stingthemgood said:
Herder has us as the last team in. I don’t see us getting in over both UIW and Holy Cross. But maybe I’m wrong.

Sacramento State just lost to unranked UC Davis to finish 7-4. It does not have any ranked wins. But the Hornets do have an FBS P5 win over Stanford. And they also have a win over Southland champ Nicholls, who beat UIW. That’s why Sac State gets this last spot instead of UIW.

Bubble Teams

UIW is 8-2 overall with seven D1 wins. Its only FCS loss is to Nicholls, who Sac State (above) beat. But it doesn’t have any ranked wins and its SOS is in the 80s.

UT Martin losing at unranked Samford today could be costly. It finishes 8-3 overall and 8-2 vs. the FCS with no ranked wins over teams in the media poll or over teams in the playoff field.

Western Carolina also had a costly loss today at unranked VMI. WCU finishes 7-4 overall and 7-3 vs. the FCS with two ranked wins. But its best win is over Chattanooga, who may not be in the playoff field.

Chattanooga finishes 7-4 overall and 7-3 vs. the FCS with a ranked win over a team in the field (Mercer). But Mercer has one more win, and UTC’s loss to WCU pushes it down.

Eastern Illinois is 8-3 overall and 8-2 vs. the FCS. But it doesn’t have any wins over teams in the playoff field, and its loss to UT Martin pushes it down.

Holy Cross is 7-4 overall and 7-2 vs. the FCS with two one-score losses to FBS teams. But the Crusaders do not own any ranked wins.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2023-playoff-predictions-final-bzbz/

If it came down to us and UIW for the final spot, we'd get in over them. I have no idea about the others though. I think I read our SOS is 21, we have a P5 win over Stanford and a win over Southland Champ Nicholls (UIW lost to them) and being ranked in the top 10 for most the year as the committee now considers rankings. What's wild would be getting in over an 8 win UT Martin and/or Eastern Illinois. I guess we'll see how much value being in a power conference really has.

I can see both sides of the argument regarding a playoff berth. A lot of mocks have either us only, or both schools making the field and playing round one.

A couple mocks have us going to North Dakota in Round 1.

Latest posts

Back