• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

WAC baseball

bozarsjs

Hello all. I haven't posted in a long time and it was under another, but similar, user name; bozar. In any event I've talked about UNC baseball a bit in the past without ever seeing a game. It looks as if my wife might retire soon and we'll move to our vacation home in Loveland. I'll certainly miss San Jose State baseball but I will adopt da Bears as a home team to follow.

I think this move is a decidedly good move up. Changes to the WAC have been so many that it is hard to follow. The teams that I've written about on my WAC baseball blog I've followed for years. But that all changes next season. SJS goes to the MWC and others move too. This year's version of the WAC will be very strong with the addition of some very good baseball programs. Sadly, UNC will miss those when they start playing in the WAC. It would have been perfect for me if SJS had stayed in the WAC. However, the MWC is a step up for the Spartans just as the WAC is a step up for the Bears. The best team remaining (I think) will be Sacramento State but they may move too. The only thing holding them back is the lack of football and basketball teams strong enough to compete in other conferences. The baseball team is first rate. I'll stop now. Anyway, welcome aboard.

It's kind of weird though because what about Southern Utah and North Dakota? Both Big Sky schools that play baseball, S. Utah is no longer in the Summit and ND still in the Great West I presume.

But to be honest the WAC is in such dire straights I don't see it as anything more than a lateral move.

CS - Bakersfield? Chicago State? Grand Canyon? Seattle?

Not any different than Texas Pan America, Houston Baptist or NJIT really.

Bakersfield is very good. They had a down year in 2012 after a very good 2011. This year is a question mark but I expect them to return to the good times.

Seattle is struggling as they have been playing baseball for only a short time. They had a poor year in 2012 and I expect more of the same.

Chicago. Bad.

Grand Canyon? I have no idea. I'm probably way off base here but I think they've moved up to D1 only recently and it takes time to weather that storm.

So, watch out for Bake town if they are still in the WAC when UNC becomes a playing member.

Blofeld said:
It's kind of weird though because what about Southern Utah and North Dakota? Both Big Sky schools that play baseball, S. Utah is no longer in the Summit and ND still in the Great West I presume.

But to be honest the WAC is in such dire straights I don't see it as anything more than a lateral move.

True, but at least there is something to play for at the the end of the season now (NCAA tournament berth). I'm betting that Utah Valley would have loved to have that tournament berth last year after not getting a sniff at an at-large selection. It especially rings true when they led the nation in regular season wins (Granted agains Great West teams), but after considering what Stony Brook was able to accomplish, there has to be some excitement. I think that the move may be lateral competition-wise, but it's certainly much better now that UNC actually has a shot to get back into the NCAA postseason with it's ullustrious baseball history.

anon22 said:
Blofeld said:

True, but at least there is something to play for at the the end of the season now (NCAA tournament berth). I'm betting that Utah Valley would have loved to have that tournament berth last year after not getting a sniff at an at-large selection. It especially rings true when they led the nation in regular season wins (Granted agains Great West teams), but after considering what Stony Brook was able to accomplish, there has to be some excitement. I think that the move may be lateral competition-wise, but it's certainly much better now that UNC actually has a shot to get back into the NCAA postseason with it's ullustrious baseball history.

Exactly, the fact that the WAC gets an automatic bid is huge not only for UNC but these other schools as well. It should help with recuriting, and keeping some of the better baseball players in Colorado here. An example that it can help with success, Dallas Baptist, they were in a super regional a couple of years ago. Now they're leaving the WAC.

Sorry to say but tell me briefly about this.... "Both Big Sky schools that play baseball, S. Utah is no longer in the Summit and ND still in the Great West I presume.

CS - Bakersfield? Chicago State? Grand Canyon? Seattle?" ????

I thought the same thing but didn't someone mention the WAC has an auto invite to the NCAA tournament which the Great West didn't and was more just a scheduling alliance?

Southern Utah has dropped baseball altogether. The Great West got screwed when UVU didn't get an invite as they were very good and look to be just as good this year. Yes, the WAC has an automatic bid and the team that usually goes (based on past stupid choices by the NCAA) it's the WAC Tournament winner even if they are a mediocre or bad team. I hate season-ending conference tournaments.

The WAC has not shown much this year as only UT-Arlington and Sacramento State appear to have the propensity to win games they should. I'm a San Jose State fan and the Spartans are right in the mix with the rest of the teams as also-rans. The WAC is really down so far this year. I'm always beating the drum for the WAC and the WCC in my blog and this year that is hard to do.

The Bears are playing Santa Clara this weekend and lost the first game 7-1. I thought they might hit but Santa Clara is scorching the ball as of late. I don't believe they can keep up. One of the players, Ben Netzel, is the grandson of a neighbor of ours in our summer home (soon to be permanent) in Loveland. Good kid.

Latest posts

Back