• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

UNC and Greeley/Alums

Ursa Major said:
While I agree with the "time" aspect of your argument, UNC has had a football team since 1895(?). Even with two National Championships, we haven't ever drawn that large of a crowd. I think it's marketing, marketing, marketing. Someone made the observation last year that CSU has three billboards in town promoting Ram football. I don't think I have even seen three signs with directions to UNC. With all the hires that have gone on upstairs in the time that I have been at UNC, you would have thought that someone would have said, " Hey, we need to hire someone to promote the crap out of our athletics, and the University, and we could start here at home!" Look at it this way, since they aren't getting anyone to come to the games anyway, why not have a game where you invite all the high school athletes in the city to a free game. I'm sure that there is some NCAA regulation against it, but you see where I'm going. We wouldn't make anything( we don't anyway) but the advertising for the programs would be priceless.

That's really not a bad idea. I know WSU has done stuff like that for womens basketball and volleyball. They charge something like one dollar a ticket to students and/or teams to draw them in cheap and try to get them hooked. Our attendance has increased fairly well in both even though our womens basketball team hasn't been too good. But we have gotten ourselves into the top 10 in volleyball attendance. If you can put a decent product on the floor, one that will entertain, you should try to lure in the young people of the community.

I also agree 110% on marketing. You have to make the university be a part of the community and make the people feel like they're a part of it and that the school is part of them. Probably easier said than done but things like that can go a long way as well.

Ursa Major said:
Someone made the observation last year that CSU has three billboards in town promoting Ram football. I don't think I have even seen three signs with directions to UNC.

UNC has all of one billboard, it is on US 85 north of Greeley, at least it was there a year ago. Why that road I will never know, they should have put on US 34 or 85 south of Greeley or even better I-25. Heck UNC doesent even have a sign out on 25 that says 'UNC Next Exit'. Practicaly every other university in the state has one of those.

PS SubGod, love the jayhawk in the guillotine.

Holy Cow, GoBears! I didn't even think about the exit sign, you're right. I swear, after finals, I'm getting ahold of a guy I know with Federal Highways in Colorado and finding out what I can do to change that. His kid goes to UNC so it might be an easy sell. I can't believe we are getting the shaft from our own state.

Okay, you got me started. I just emailed Marilyn Musgrave about getting a sign and I will call my friend next week. Good Catch GoBears! Maybe we will promote this school yet.

Good points. My in-laws live out in Gill, and it drove me nuts to see the CSU Rams billboard out near the airport. They really should come up with some sort of "Paint the town Blue and Gold" theme and really try and get the community behind the Bears.

I smell a grass roots campaign here. Never forget what kind of impact you guys can have. I know I keep saying this, or at least it feels like it, but you have to find a way for the University to reach out and make itself part of the community. If the people feel it's a part of them and the town it'll help build relationships and a fan base. Not to mention money.

Not having some kind of exit sign is quite odd though. I'm not sure how that's slipped through the cracks. But billboards could definately help if place in the right places. Anything that increases the visibility of the school. I know we have a lot of fund raisers here to help fund different things. We just had a charity dinner auction and golf tournament with the new basketball coach that raised a couple hundred thousand dollars that goes towards recruiting and travel expenses.

I'm glad you liked the pic :D I have a lot of friends that aren't too fond of it. Including my own brother.

Brian said:
They really should come up with some sort of "Paint the town Blue and Gold" theme and really try and get the community behind the Bears.

That is a fantastic idea! Perhaps we should wite the an open letter to the University, and the City Council and get get it published in the trib.

I think it has to come from more than just the University, because a lot of University groups try to reach out to the community, and are somewhat sucessful. I think the city council could also do a better job of showing pride for the uiversity, they could be a good starting point building community support. Heck the city of Fort Collins just put up a bunch of signs that say 'Welcome to Fort Collins, Home of the CSU Rams'. Why couldnt the city add 'Home of the UNC Bears' to that fancy new welcome sign they just built on US 34.

PS SubGod, I was pretty much raised to hate KU, my dad is a huge K-State fan.

Sadly, I was raised in a very pro KU house. We never hated KSU but they are 3rd on my list of D1 schools in the state. If Emporia State ever makes the jump to D1 KSU may fall to 4th. :p But I hate none. Even though I do get sick of the BcS arrogance of many KU and KSU fans around here. I'm sure you guys put up with the same type of attitudes. I am sorry though that your dad was such a fan of purple

Now go out there and kick the University and city into gear and get this thing rollin'.

SubGod22 said:
Even though I do get sick of the BcS arrogance of many KU and KSU fans around here. I'm sure you guys put up with the same type of attitudes. .

We deffinitaly get looked at as the baby of the state. Especially by the Denver media. I personally think CU fans are the worst, CSU fans are'nt so bad, I think they remember what it was like to be the redheaded step child of college athletics in the state.

PS I am also a fan of the purple (behind UNC of course) we usually try to make it out to one game a year in Manhattan.

Here's an email response I got back from Mayor Tom Selders regarding UNC and Greeley. I basically said in my email that I have been disapointed about the City and it's lack of support for the university. His response was good and hopefully everythign he says will come about.

My apologies for taking so long to respond. Yes, I agree there is a lot that we can do, and we are working on some things. Here are some comments that I have pasted in from our Chamber of Commerce president as well as Downtown Development Authority executive director:

From the Chamber of Commerce:

There is a group of citizens and
businesses that are talking about this. The DDA & the Chamber are
working on Homecoming and Parents weekend activities - we (the Chamber)
met with the UNC Athletic Department to talk about getting the community
(residents and businesses) to show their support and pride in UNC. Many
communities do a much better job than we do. So we are talking. It
goes without saying that $$$ are an issue for everyone - but we may be
able to phase in some programs. It is not within the city budget - it
should up to the community at-large.
From the Downtown Development Authority:
We do have a move underway to encourage a business group to continue its plans to open up a UNC apparel store in downtown. That may help. Also, the UNC Business Club is trying to start promoting UNC-sponsored events in city center. I know these are small steps, but we have to begin somewhere. Of course Bob Tointon is big on dressing up downtown in UNC colors. He often cites K-State and its support from the downtown area.

Also (my own comments): The City and Chamber of Commerce recently completed a "Branding" planning process that resulted in a consultant giving us several reports of recommended actions. UNC was much involved and is a part of this ongoing planning process.

Tom Selders

This is at least some progress, I am glad that people realize that more can be done.

A UNC store downtown would be great, as well as dressing up the city with UNC colors.

The K-State example is dead on, they have to close down the main street in Aggieville on game days, it is packed with people.

This is really exciting!

I played high school ball at a school that had been open for 107 years and never had their football team gone past the 2nd round They had only one 4 state championships in that team and the last one was in 1994 for the softball team. 5 years before my senior year the team went 0-10. The town didn't care, nobody went to games.

My senior year we went 13-1 and won state. People started painting the store fronts purple and white, and everyone really got behind the team. Since then, they've continued to get behind the team, and it makes me really proud to go home during football season now. I can't wait to see if something like this ends up happening here in Greeley. I want to see the store fronts Blue and Gold, with bear paws everywhere.

I just hope it's not a buch of talk and doesn't turn into action. It benefits both the city and the university of their in it together. Greeley should be proud of UNC not shun it like they usually do. Selders is saying all the right things, hopefully it's not just BS.

It definately looks good and he's right, it seems small but you have to start somewhere and build from there. I hope this all happens. Of course, a winning product from the athletic department can only help. I do hope he's not just saying what everyone wants to hear.

Latest posts

Back